919 vs monster vs Speed-3 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 02:46 PM
wotan

919 vs monster vs Speed-3

Hey guys --- I'm new to the site but I'm helping a friend buy a bike. We've narrowed it down to those three. He likes the monster the best but he will be in grad-school and have limited funds for repairs/maintenance for the next 4-6 years so we figure that the honda may be a better bet. I don't know anything about triumph.

Anyone care to share their thoughts? He's looking for a bike in the $5000 range.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 03:10 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Well in my biased opinion, with restraints on funds for repairs/maintenance your best bet is definitely the 919. Rock solid reliable, maybe not quite as sexy as the other two, but still damn good looking if you ask me.

post #3 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 03:18 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Triumph has a two year factory warranty, so no real worries there. 130hp with 60+ ftlb of torque! Woohoo!

IMO it is the best looker of the three as well.

The Honda has usual Honda qualities. Proven quality and user friendly. But in my opinion it is getting to be a bit to common for me.

The Ducati... It is all about the dealer. If the dealer will treat you right, then it is not so bad. if the local dealer is out to make a buck, your buddy is screwed.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #4 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 03:30 PM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
The Honda has usual Honda qualities. Proven quality and user friendly. But in my opinion it is getting to be a bit to common for me.
Hey now, just because there are a bunch of us with 919s on the board, doesn't mean the bike is common. There is only 1 (other than mine) in town where I live. Lots of people have never seen another rider on a 919. Of course, there is only one S3 in town, too. And 0 monsters. All three bikes are fairly uncommon.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #5 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 04:34 PM
Immune

bock is too right. here in new york city, i've seen two other than mine, and i know of another. so that is 3 that i know of, and me. and i ride around every day, 7 days a week. hell, i know more KTMs than 919s....

post #6 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 04:37 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I live in Virginia Beach/Norfolk and they sell like hot cakes. Seems people want to talk abotu their litre bike. It is one of the bigger bikes with the smaller price tag.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #7 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 04:44 PM
Immune

the most popular bike in new york is, bar none, bmws. you can't swing a dead cat without knocking over a bimmer.

post #8 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 04:47 PM
minimal

Two years ago, I chose the 919 over the SV1000, Z1000, Speed Triple and Monster. The Monster was out after the local Triumph-Ducati dealer stopped selling Ducati because the factory just didn't support him. I passed on the Kaw 'cause I didn't go for the looks, too space age. The SV was out after Suz dropped the naked version for 2004. That left the 919 and Speed3. I really liked the Triumph, but the Honda had all the performance I can use, and was about $1,000 less. I don't think that there's a bad choice here, but ultimately I'm a Honda guy. If you want something other than a crotch rocket, cruiser or touring bike, the 919 is a great all around realworld motorcycle.

post #9 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 05:16 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Go for test rides for fit and fun factors. How far away are the various dealers for these machines? Check insurance. Check warranties. Check maintenance schedules, especially valve checks. Pose this question on bike specific forums to get (biased) opinions. Have fun shopping!!

post #10 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 06:38 PM
WoW

I've owned a 919, and now I own an SIII if that tells you anything. Not regretting it for a moment. I've ridden an S4RS Monster, (which is like the cream of the crop monster) and while it was definitely a nice bike, I would never own one. But the honda is probably the only one you'll find in that price range, that's not beaten to hell.

Find me on all over the web:

www.vwvortex.com- spoolin215
www.honda-tech.com- germanhondaslayer
www.bodybuilding.com- forcefedfreak
www.triumphrat.net- forcefedfreak
post #11 of 20 Old 09-07-2006, 01:38 AM
Tirone

I just bought a 2006 Speed Triple after looking seriously at the Honda 919. I liked the Honda reliability and the torquey engine but that's about it...except maybe for the Nissin calipers. The weak frame and generally ugly looks of the 919 turned me off. I chose the Speed Triple because it looks great, got great reviews, and because it's not the typical Jap bike. I have almost 1000 miles on it with zero problems. It's the best bike I've owned.
Fred

post #12 of 20 Old 09-07-2006, 07:24 AM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Wow, I actually like the clean looks of the 919.

post #13 of 20 Old 09-07-2006, 07:34 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob919 View Post
Wow, I actually like the clean looks of the 919.
Agreed. I can see calling the Z1000 ugly, but the 919 is very conservative in terms of styling. Boring, maybe to some, but I don't know that I've ever heard someone call it ugly.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #14 of 20 Old 09-07-2006, 07:55 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

The Triple is a really nice machine. Personally, my eyes are too drawn to the big tubular frame pieces along the tank. They seem to dominate the side profile of the bike. On the plus side, it is very comfy, not too tall, great acceleration and handling. On the negative side, it has a plastic tank (mag bags need not apply here), the rear brake gets some criticism from owners and I've read that one side of the alternator is not very water resistant and can cause problems with heavy rain and washing. It certainly has the hooligan look to it though!!

post #15 of 20 Old 09-07-2006, 04:51 PM
919 City Pilot

I think the 9er says Industrial all over it, no flash no bling but plenty of tude when you ditch the stupid mirrors and bars.

post #16 of 20 Old 09-07-2006, 06:24 PM
Scott

Wotan, I've had a 919 for a year now, no problems, Just love the bike. I would have your friend look into insurance costs I know with the 919 my insurance company (American Family) considers it a "standard bike" and not a sport bike huge difference in price. I also live in Wisconsin although on the other side of the state (near Milwaukee) I have only seen two other 919s on the road a few monsters and maybe one triple, Mostly just Harleys and Buels around here.

post #17 of 20 Old 09-07-2006, 08:18 PM

All of them are good bikes in one way or another. Make sure your friend at least sits on all 3 bikes and weighs the pros and cons (again each to their own opinions).

I have not been dissappointed with my 919 at all. I've had it for 1 year and a half - 2005 model and now she has 19,000 miles on her. It is a Honda, so very reliable and I really like the naked look....I will keep her till she is paid off and make sure she is all tricked out and no dings or scratches to be seen!

Good luck.....you will always want another bike-it's the deciding part that is difficult.....and when they are paid off, you can step back and admire them all!

Star

post #18 of 20 Old 09-08-2006, 01:34 PM
wotan

Thanks guys! Plenty of what I needed to hear in here..... talked to monster owners last night and they said you absolutely have to adjust the valves every 6k so I think those are out.

The speed triples look to be rare or out of his price range, so I have a feeling we'll be looking for a 919 in cali next week.

Keep the sticky side down.....

post #19 of 20 Old 09-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Unbannable

http://www.triumphrat.net/modules.ph...16369&forum=19

Here's a list of all the common S3 issues.

Triumph gives free test rides. They just threw me the keys and said have fun. I rode a T-100, S3, Thruxton, Rocket III (OMG it's fast! faster than the S3) and the Sprint ST.

My biggest dislike about the S3 was the shifter bing far from the peg. I kept hitting it with the tip of my toe. The torque was nice, but power is easily sensitized. I liked the Turxton the best. It's rolling art.

I favor the Hornet most of all though.

post #20 of 20 Old 09-11-2006, 07:49 AM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

The curent issue of Cycle World (October 2006) has a naked bike comparo of 12 bikes, including these 3.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode