919 vs. CBR streetfighter - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 05-16-2012, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

919 vs. CBR streetfighter

First of all, I'm the proud owner of a 2003 919. I love my bike and ride it all the time. I've had it for about 3 yrs but it is the first sportbike I've had for about 15 yrs (was riding cruisers and dualsports).
As I've become more used to the power, handling, and braking of a more modern sportbike, and as my skill riding it has increased, I've been entertaining the thought of upgrading the brakes and suspension on the 919.

Is it cost effective to do so or would it be cheaper to buy an older CBR and streetfighter it? Which CBR would be the best bang (suspension/brakes/engine) wise for the buck? I'm open to other brands than Honda too.

I live in Victoria, BC Canada so things cost much more here. Obviously prices are all relative. The low prices you guys pay in the US for bikes makes me SICK!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-16-2012, 09:25 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Hello and welcome! As for suspension, I installed an Ohlins shock as well as springs and valves in the forks and couldn't be happier. It totally transformed the bike for me. It all depends on how much you like the 919, some say it's not cost effective to invest money in one. I'd do it again.

post #3 of 14 Old 05-16-2012, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
Hello and welcome! As for suspension, I installed an Ohlins shock as well as springs and valves in the forks and couldn't be happier. It totally transformed the bike for me. It all depends on how much you like the 919, some say it's not cost effective to invest money in one. I'd do it again.

Could you tell me how much those mods cost you? Were they "bolt on" replacements or did the 919 have to be modded to make them fit?

post #4 of 14 Old 05-16-2012, 09:55 AM
Rich

I've installed an Ohlins rear shock and some stiffer Racetek springs up front. The mods made a noticeable improvement in handling and cost about 950 (850 for the Ohlins / 100 for the springs). You can probably get a rear shock cheaper than the Ohlins that would also be an improvement.

post #5 of 14 Old 05-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Le So Cal Troll

the problem with converting a cbr rr to a streetfighter isnt so much the conversion.... it will have MUCH MUCH better suspension frame etc than the 919 ever will.... but the way the power comes on just isnt really streetable compared to the 919.

though like an 06RR with a honda 599 front headlight looks sexy.

post #6 of 14 Old 05-16-2012, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
the problem with converting a cbr rr to a streetfighter isnt so much the conversion.... it will have MUCH MUCH better suspension frame etc than the 919 ever will.... but the way the power comes on just isnt really streetable compared to the 919.

though like an 06RR with a honda 599 front headlight looks sexy.
Yeah, I REALLY like the engine characteristics of the 919. It suits my riding perfectly. But after riding some of my friends CBR's, Ninjas, and R1's/R6's, I've begun noticing the 919's limitations.

If I were able to find a 929 or 954 would the suspension and brakes be better than the 919?

How many years back could I go with the CBR's and still have better suspension and brakes?

I don't have that much $...

post #7 of 14 Old 05-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Rich

no challenge, just a little curious.
What specifically is the 919 not doing, that you want it to?

On my 919 (Before mods), the rear end used to dance around a little in some corners and the front end was too soft / didn't give much feedback. Brakes have never been an issue except a couple of times (riding *really* hard), they started to fade a bit.

post #8 of 14 Old 05-16-2012, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichT View Post
no challenge, just a little curious.
What specifically is the 919 not doing, that you want it to?

On my 919 (Before mods), the rear end used to dance around a little in some corners and the front end was too soft / didn't give much feedback. Brakes have never been an issue except a couple of times (riding *really* hard), they started to fade a bit.
The 919 isn't doing anything wrong I'm just curious about how to squeeze some more performance out of it and whether it's cost effective to do so vs. maybe just buying a bike that already has those upgrades.

After all, doing those mods to the 919 won't increase my resale value, but if I hold on to the bike it may increase my enjoyment! If the cost to do the mods isn't crazy I would consider pulling the trigger (just for fun) and keep the 919 until it returns to the earth!

post #9 of 14 Old 05-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Di"zx"en

Buy a newer liter bike .... any flavor will do... Call up Spiegler and have them ship you out a superbike bar kit and never worry about upgrading a naked bike ever again. 4000 miles with this kit on my ZX10 and will never think about riding a clip on handle bar bike ever again.

That'll work........
post #10 of 14 Old 05-16-2012, 01:05 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97af View Post
Buy a newer liter bike .... any flavor will do... Call up Spiegler and have them ship you out a superbike bar kit and never worry about upgrading a naked bike ever again. 4000 miles with this kit on my ZX10 and will never think about riding a clip on handle bar bike ever again.
i would hurt myself with liter bike power in an upright position.... the 919 runs out of power at just the right time haha.

At 600 bucks tho for those conversions.... ouch.

post #11 of 14 Old 05-16-2012, 02:58 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilkleg

Could you tell me how much those mods cost you? Were they "bolt on" replacements or did the 919 have to be modded to make them fit?
I got a great deal on the shock, in total I have around $1k invested, the forks did require disassembly to install the valves but it wasn't that hard to do.

post #12 of 14 Old 05-17-2012, 08:32 AM
rider

You can do all the suspension mods you want, and they do make a difference, but you've still got the same crappy frame. I considered doing all the things mentioned but opted to keep the 919 as is and streetfighter a cbr954.

One minor plus with fightering the 954 is that the coolant reservoir is not mounted to the fairing. Like I said, minor, but one less expense to making the conversion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 55519_184339094915077_100000169641701_721873_5863087_o.jpg (153.9 KB, 42 views)

post #13 of 14 Old 05-17-2012, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10hornet View Post
You can do all the suspension mods you want, and they do make a difference, but you've still got the same crappy frame. I considered doing all the things mentioned but opted to keep the 919 as is and streetfighter a cbr954.

One minor plus with fightering the 954 is that the coolant reservoir is not mounted to the fairing. Like I said, minor, but one less expense to making the conversion.
Is fightering a 954 a big process? Aside from removing the fairing, what would be involved? Thanks for your help.

post #14 of 14 Old 05-17-2012, 12:27 PM
rider

remove the fairings, cut tabs off of frame, get headlight, turn signals, headlight brackets.

I didnt want to buy another guage so I fabricated a guage mount that fits the ingnition. I have a couple of extra's. I'll try to find a photo to post.

I made my tag mount from a pice of angle flashing from HOme Depot ($0.22).

Before you take the headlight assembly apart firgure which is low beam and high beam. Just pull the high beam wire from the connector and plug it in to the low beam connector and voila high/low single headlight.

When I did mine it was already apart so it was fun and games with the wiring.

If you start with a good clean bike you can make the conversion for less than $200. I left the clip-ons but have an extra top clamp. May fabricate some risers for cafe bars, haven't decided. Changing the bars is where you'll spend the most money.

Here's a photo of what I started with:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35313_146022382080082_100000169641701_460540_1964370_n.jpg (93.4 KB, 23 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode