919 v sv650 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 25 Old 06-14-2006, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

919 v sv650

Gentleman,
I know it sounds like apples and oranges, 919=inline 4, 919 cc; sv= v twin, 650 cc, but it has come down to these two. The 919 would win if it wasn't for the weak frame and subsequent poor handling even with updated suspension. I used to roadrace but I now I am just interested in a fun street bike that has good power and handling. I guess I have to decide which is more important-good power (the 919) or good handling (SV650). If anyone has both bikes or has ridden both bikes I would like your opinion.
Thanks,
Fred

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 06-14-2006, 06:48 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Welcome to the site. I can only speak for the 9er. It is a fun bike but can get unsettled when pushed. I have heard nothing but good things about the SV650 but can't tell you firsthand.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 25 Old 06-14-2006, 07:31 PM
Living the dream

By your name do you used to or do have a TL? Curious since not many around. the guys here love the 919 and I have heard a lot of good things on the SV. My guess is either would be a great fun bike.

post #4 of 25 Old 06-14-2006, 07:32 PM
Immune

2 things: 1st, "honda." versus "suzuki." any questions? didn't think so. 2nd, per hondajim's post, 919s get unsettled when pushed, sure. "pushed." a 650, even if god himself built it, won't? please. and at the end of the day, you wanna compare "pushed" for a 900 versus a 650? i used to ride a 750 that was a pushcart, compared to my 919.

post #5 of 25 Old 06-14-2006, 08:40 PM

Never ridden a SV650, so can't speak for that.
I was considering that bike when I bought the 9, and went for the 9 because it was better looking in my opinion and because quality wise seemed the best of the two.
Must admit tho that magazines, forums and all, give the SV a very good reputation..

post #6 of 25 Old 06-14-2006, 08:45 PM
Honda Addict

have ridden both to date. a friend stored his sv here a while back.

my verdict:

sv650 handles better.

vs.

919 will whoopitsass on pure grunt...

... (then drift back in the twisties )

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #7 of 25 Old 06-14-2006, 09:36 PM
Milites Gregarius

for a pure street bike.. 919.. if your thinking of getting back into racing..sv650

Mitch
'83 Suzuki GS750E
'02 Honda 919
post #8 of 25 Old 06-14-2006, 10:07 PM
DropBear 9

When my 900 went in for it's first service at 1000kms, I was given an SV650 as a "loaner"
Nuff said right there I guess

It felt quite torquey, but only once the revs were up, unlike the 9er.
The biggest thing I noticed was the massive amounts of engine braking available compared to the 9er. Had a nice thumpy V-twin vibe to it, but I have to say, I much prefer the silky smoothness of the inline 4.

post #9 of 25 Old 06-15-2006, 06:03 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
The engine braking on the SV is a PITA, I think. Anytime you try to just dump a little speed by rolling off the throttle, you'd swear you hit the brakes. I hate that! Fun little bike, but I'd rather have the 919 for street riding, it's just much more tractable. I wouldn't want to have to live with the SV every day. The 919 is a bike you'll LOVE to live with.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #10 of 25 Old 06-15-2006, 06:18 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Like Tight TL originally stated, the comparison is apples and oranges.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #11 of 25 Old 06-15-2006, 06:46 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Keep in mind the SV with it's stock suspension is no bargain. You most certainly would have to have the forks reworked and a aftermarket shock fitted to call the SV a good handling bike.

post #12 of 25 Old 06-15-2006, 08:17 AM

I push my 919 hard in the twisties and wouldn't consider it's handling "poor". The stock suspension on an SV isn't anything worth writing home about either. If I were building a track bike the SV would be my first choice, but for everyday street riding the 919 rocks, and it's quite adept in the twisties.

post #13 of 25 Old 06-15-2006, 08:29 AM

IF i were to get a suzuki I would be looking at the SV1000 personally, not the 650. Especially if you are trying to compare to the 919, that is more in the same power class. I have heard good things about it but honestly I am not a big twin fan and also the position is a bit stretched out and racey for everyday street.

I would go with the 919 if I were you. It is way cooler looking and a friggin riot on the street. Aftermarket cans will make it sound equally mean to any V-twin.

post #14 of 25 Old 06-15-2006, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortonomics
I would go with the 919 if I were you. It is way cooler looking and a friggin riot on the street. Aftermarket cans will make it sound equally mean to any V-twin.

I concur, the 919 has some serious attitude. Sounds meaner than hell while rumbling at idle.

post #15 of 25 Old 06-15-2006, 01:06 PM
jwill123

I was once blind, but now can see. I was faced with the same decision at one time. I also had a speed triple however in the mix. It came down to mileage ans shear power. The speedtriple had too many miles on it for comfort. The sv was looking good with aftermarket exhaust. Then there was the winner, the 919. I'm glad I went with 900cc and not 650. I think if you get the 650, you'll be saying, "I wish I had 900 or more". Especially if you raced as you say so. Good luck, pick the 9'er.

post #16 of 25 Old 06-15-2006, 05:01 PM
Tirone

I will keep in mind people here are a bit biased as I chime in. I ride both on a regular basis. In fact, I rode the 919 and SV650 back to back last night.

First off, the obvious. Motor. The 919 makes speed with less effort. After all you're comparing a 900cc four to 650cc twin. Not much more to say about that.

Handling. When I ride the 919 I think it handles pretty good. It's got a nice neutral feel to it and it changes direction okay for a big bike. When pushed a little you feel the frame flex a bit and the rear shock really does struggle. A different riding position would help. Something where the bars weren't in my lap. SM?

I think the SV handles better because it weighs so much less, riding position, and the shock may be better or seems to be because it works through a linkage.

The 919 is such a barge compared to the SV650. It hurts the handling and makes it a little more difficult for newer riders in my opinion. Especially in town.

Having said all this I do love the 919. I love the look. I love the power. And I love that it says Honda on the tank. You know it will last forever.

I don't know what else to say and after reading my post I don't know how it could help anyone.

post #17 of 25 Old 06-16-2006, 07:18 AM
Milites Gregarius

Well I owned them both. I got the 03 SV650 (naked version) in March of 06 and rode it for 1800 miles including one weekend trip to the mountains in northern GA. As previously mentioned the engine braking takes some getting used to. The seat height on the 03 is different from the 04 and later models so they may not feel as "pitched forward" as mine did. My hands would get numb after a half our. The stock seat on the SV650 is a midevil torture device. Honestly it's the worst seat ever! Now to the engine, it's powerful enough and has enough torque but if you let it get below 4k it's a dog. The stock suspension isn't much better than the 919 but the SV is noticeably quicker turning. I liked the bike ok but never loved it, then I rode the Triumph speed triple and I knew I needed something with a bigger engine. Couldn't find a used S3 so I got a 919.

The first thing I noticed is that it doesn't steer as quickly as the SV. Second thing I noticed is that you can actually ride the bike with the seat it came with for a whole tank of gas! The third thing was that it pulls like a truck all the way from 2-3k up. For street riding I don't think you'd ever find the limits of the chassis. The suspension is a bit soft for me but it's not too bad. Brakes are way better on the 919 than the SV. I bought the 919 3 days after selling the SV650, I've had it since May 1 and I can say that the whole time I've felt better about it than I did while I had the SV. I "love" the 919!

It comes down to which one YOU feel better about. The seat on the SV is really the only BAD thing.

Oh yea, my insurance is $230 higher per year on the 919 and I got the same gas mileage from both bikes.

post #18 of 25 Old 06-16-2006, 03:39 PM
Tirone

I own them both. Have an '01 SV650 naked and an '04 919. They are completely different in their performance. The SV does not have the serious punch that the 919 has.AS far as how they perform with handeling on the street, they are almost the same, I just feel like I'm on a 3/4 sise bike whe4n riding the SV. I have the factory Gel seat, and it's just as comfortable as th2 919. Had an FZ1 , that was super comfortable on a long trip, but either of the other bikes [919 or SV] were much more enjoyable takeing off from a light. You have to rev the snot out of an FZ1 to get it moving! Just go to to their web site an see how they'er always fooling with sprocket sizes and jetting. Any way, back to the original question, go for the 919 if it's not for the track.

post #19 of 25 Old 06-16-2006, 10:54 PM
Milites Gregarius

there is also the simple fact... not nearly as many 919's on the road... you wander around the parking lot wondering which one is yours...
I've gone to bike night and seen 3 identical sv650's (same givi windscreen and everything with like 30 bikes in the parking lot... ) granted there were 2 919's... but we showed up togther..

Mitch
'83 Suzuki GS750E
'02 Honda 919
post #20 of 25 Old 07-27-2006, 05:57 PM
wbh

i just traded in my 2000 sv650 for a 2002 919 in june 06. i loved the sv650 but i wanted a little more power. i weigh 240 and am 6'-1". i had seen the 919 at cycle shows and always loved the styling and feel of it. it has a LOT more power, and the fuel injection is great. the 919 feels very slightly heavier (372 versus 427 dry weights) but seems to whip through turns just as easily. im sure the sv650 frame is stiffer, since it is a state-of-the-art frame, but since i do most riding in city and suburbs, i can't feel the 919 frame wallowing.

so, the 919 is much more powerful, much cooler looking, fuel injection much smoother than carbs, easier to start, and seems to ride about exactly the same as sv650 did.

post #21 of 25 Old 07-27-2006, 05:59 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Welcome wbh, and hail to Atlanta. You got some good riding close by. Get outta the burbs and into the twisties.

post #22 of 25 Old 07-28-2006, 01:57 AM
themightyhornet

Apples and oranges? more like apples and cast iron!!

Hey there.
Currently own 06 919 used to own 599 and spent time on sv650.
the sv is a nice "commuter" bike steady,predictable and easy to ride.
However compared to a 919 are you serious? even the 599 absolutely outperforms the sv in every way!
The 919 will do whatever you want when you want it ie.slow is fine,passsing a car is fine without changing down is fine,or pull hard from low watch the front come up and f#@king hang on!!!!

NO comparison you may as well compare a civic to a corvette!

post #23 of 25 Old 07-28-2006, 07:59 AM
WoW

Well if it means anything to you, I used to own both. And during the time I had the 919 I missed the SV like the desert misses rain. haha. That is until I bought my triumph. But even though the SV was a little slower, it was so much more of a fun bike on the street.

Find me on all over the web:

www.vwvortex.com- spoolin215
www.honda-tech.com- germanhondaslayer
www.bodybuilding.com- forcefedfreak
www.triumphrat.net- forcefedfreak
post #24 of 25 Old 07-28-2006, 11:24 AM
Tesserarius

I didn't see one 919 at Laguna Seca last weekend

post #25 of 25 Old 07-29-2006, 10:11 AM
cyclerider105

Had both (2005 SV and 2002 919), SV is a fun bike, but undepowered. 919 is a fun buike with lots of power. I never really push either bike to hard, but IMHO the difference in how they handle is not that significant. 919 is the way I would go if I had to choose between the two! Of course I have a SPEED TRIPLE now and I am REALLY happy cause I have performance and power!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode