919 Turns over, wont start - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 06-01-2017, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

919 Turns over, wont start

So my bike sat a couple of weeks and last week started riding to work again. Beginning of the week the bike started fine but towards the end of the week it started cranking slower. I check the battery voltage, 12.9 volts. I didn't ride over the weekend, but rode today. This morning kinda hard to start, but ran great to work. After work, almost didn't start, but again ran great.

When I got home I pulled the battery out and checked voltage, 12.9 volts. I took it to the local auto parts store to have it tested, they said it was good. I got home, put the battery in, bike cranked and died. I tried push starting it a couple of times down the driveway, no luck. I hooked jumper cables to it from my truck and it cranks great, but now it won't start. Ran fine today.

I do have a PC3 and noticed that everytime I try to start it the LED's go up and down.

Any yes, the fuel pump is cycling and there is gas in the tank. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-02-2017, 01:13 AM
Pilus Posterior

It sounds like two problems. It sounds like a voltage drop over the starting circuit and the second I can't really tell because you said: "... from my truck and it cranks great, but now it won't start. Ran fine today."

How did it run fine after it won't start?

The cranking issue is likely a ground or direct lead (including relay) to the starter.

Since it's only one section (the starter) I'd just remove the connections and clean them. You can test the theory with jumper cables straight from your BIKE battery direct to the starter.

I'd see if the starter goes thru the kill switch or a relay activated by the kill switch. You might need to clean the kill switch. Nice small wire brush and emory cloth/ steel wool should do the trick.

post #3 of 16 Old 06-02-2017, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks for the reply ... What I meant is that it ran great on the way home from work. The batt was dead and when I hooked the jumper cables up to the bike from the truck it cranks fine but won't fire.

Guess I just don't understand what happened from parking the bike from a ride, pulling the battery, putting it back in and now it won't fire.

post #4 of 16 Old 06-02-2017, 02:28 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertIrish View Post
Thanks for the reply ... What I meant is that it ran great on the way home from work. The batt was dead and when I hooked the jumper cables up to the bike from the truck it cranks fine but won't fire.

Guess I just don't understand what happened from parking the bike from a ride, pulling the battery, putting it back in and now it won't fire.
So you went from work to home and it ran great but the battery was dead. I'd look at the charging system. This could be related to the connections and I think if you use a multi-meter, you should be able to see how well it's charging.

As far as cranking without starting, IDK, but I would at least fix the dead battery problem as that might fix other problems.

post #5 of 16 Old 06-02-2017, 04:19 PM
919 Rider

Get a new battery and check for spark. Batteries can test alright but fail under load. Good luck.

post #6 of 16 Old 06-02-2017, 08:25 PM
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Get a new battery and check for spark. Batteries can test alright but fail under load. Good luck.
Yeah, I second that. I had VERY similar symptoms and I replaced my battery as a first step because I had no idea how old the one it had was. Solved the problem. Most places have a return policy, so, if that's not it, you can always return it. BUT, I am willing to bet that is the problem. Second thing I would check is the coils.

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
post #7 of 16 Old 06-09-2017, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

So I was finally able to work on the bike after work today. I pulled it outside and hooked it up to the truck with jumper cables. Turned the key on, fuel pump cycled on. Hit the start button and it turns over great but won't fire. Sprayed starter fluid in the airbox, bike fired up for about 6 seconds and died. So we have spark.

What we don't have is fuel. Like I said, fule pump is cycling. I have half a tank of gas. What could be going on?

post #8 of 16 Old 06-09-2017, 06:26 PM
Left of Centre

Fuel pressure regulator turns up on here reasonably often as a weak spot

post #9 of 16 Old 06-10-2017, 03:15 AM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
So I was finally able to work on the bike after work today. I pulled it outside and hooked it up to the truck with jumper cables. Turned the key on, fuel pump cycled on. Hit the start button and it turns over great but won't fire. Sprayed starter fluid in the airbox, bike fired up for about 6 seconds and died. So we have spark.

What we don't have is fuel. Like I said, fule pump is cycling. I have half a tank of gas. What could be going on?
Like others have said the FPR seems to be a common problem, but you can also flush things out. IDK where the fuel filter(s) are, but maybe replace them just for fun.

post #10 of 16 Old 06-16-2017, 06:01 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

On the assumption that it has not been done already, I strongly recommend disconnecting the PCIII. From your description it sounds like the injectors are not firing, and since that function has been turned over to the PC it is logical to make it the next step.

It's worth a shot.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #11 of 16 Old 06-16-2017, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I will be pulling the PCIII tomorrow. The more I read in the forums, the more I see people pulling these off of their bikes. Is this because of the problems or are they just not worth using?

post #12 of 16 Old 06-17-2017, 12:25 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
I will be pulling the PCIII tomorrow. The more I read in the forums, the more I see people pulling these off of their bikes. Is this because of the problems or are they just not worth using?
Mainly used to trouble shoot, makes for one less thing in the equation. The only real major issue and complaint is the cold start issue. That is so easily bypassed which makes it a moor point.

post #13 of 16 Old 06-25-2017, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

So, I finally got to work on the 9er and wouldn't you know it, PCIII is fried. Pulled it out and hooked up the stock ECU, started right up. I think I will contact DynoJet to see if they can do anything but I will probably have a local shop dyno tune the bike and put a custome tune in the stock ECU and leave it, not like I ever messed with maps on the PCIII anyway. Thanks for all the help.

post #14 of 16 Old 06-25-2017, 04:11 PM
919 Rider

How did the pc111 get fried? Was the pc111 getting power? When the bike's ignition was on did the pc111 led's light up? There may be nothing wrong with your pc111. Others have had power supply problems, which kills the bike. The power wire for the pc111 comes supplied with a wire tap. These have failed before, cutting power to the pc111. A fix is to solder this connection instead. The stock ECU cannot be programed.

post #15 of 16 Old 06-25-2017, 04:30 PM
The Cripple

+1 to what Islandboy said. Check your power wire to the PC3, most likely that is the culprit. If your PC3 got fried, then it more than likely would have fried your ECU as well.

You cannot flash the 919 ECU. Use the PC3 for that. I see you're in Tucson. If you need help or want to chat 919 stuff, lmk. I live in the Phoenix area.

post #16 of 16 Old 06-25-2017, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

The PCIII was powered up, the LED's went up and down when kill switch put to run. When I rolled the throttle the LED's would move up and down accordingly. I noticed that there was a power wire going to the battery and one tapped off of the bike wiring harness, if one of these is broken will the PCIII still do what I said above?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode