919 Turbo???? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 30 Old 12-21-2009, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Franklin McGillacutty

919 Turbo????

Has anyone tried the Wave Engineering 919 Turbo kit?

If so hows it functioning? Hows the bike holding up to the power? How is the install of the the kit? Any info would be awesome.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 12-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Imaginifer

There are two that i know of....one blow up....dont know why and the other had issues he said...if you go back a few pages you will see a thread

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/woodyeee/IMAG0306.jpg
post #3 of 30 Old 12-21-2009, 09:42 AM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I haven't heard anything out of Wave Engineering in a long while.
They bought my stock cans off of eBay a while back, about that time Bill came in here to WT & introduced himself, there were a couple of threads about turbos, & then *poof*.... gone.

That's my perspective anyways. Hope they're still kickin'
I have no desire to get one, but I sure like to see projects like that succeed.

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.
post #4 of 30 Old 12-21-2009, 09:05 PM
Discen

Wasn't there a thread just like this a while back. . . anyway, the turbo kit Bill over at Wave makes is great, loads of predictable power, but be sure to keep all of your connections secure and listen to Bill because fixing a blown motor is a pain and takes forever since not many people blow these bikes up. I haven't gotten my bike running right since I had problems, but I also haven't been moving too fast since it got real cold I wasn't a huge fan of the idea of riding a turbo naked on freezing cold roads. I'll keep you guys updated when anything happens. Just be sure to not let me blowing up my bike cause reserves on buying the system, Bill is super easy to work with, and the kit does exactly what he said it would.

post #5 of 30 Old 12-21-2009, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Franklin McGillacutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoso View Post
Wasn't there a thread just like this a while back. . . anyway, the turbo kit Bill over at Wave makes is great, loads of predictable power, but be sure to keep all of your connections secure and listen to Bill because fixing a blown motor is a pain and takes forever since not many people blow these bikes up. I haven't gotten my bike running right since I had problems, but I also haven't been moving too fast since it got real cold I wasn't a huge fan of the idea of riding a turbo naked on freezing cold roads. I'll keep you guys updated when anything happens. Just be sure to not let me blowing up my bike cause reserves on buying the system, Bill is super easy to work with, and the kit does exactly what he said it would.
Did you you blow your engine???

post #6 of 30 Old 12-22-2009, 02:50 PM
Discen

Yeah, do to not watching connections close enough and just being stupid I got some pre-detonation and messed up two of the pistons pretty bad. Totally a noob mistake of having too much fun and not paying enough attention.

post #7 of 30 Old 12-22-2009, 03:07 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I did the other system and my bike is still running very well. I''m going to re-adapt it to my PCIII using a universal hub and MAP Sensor and then get it re-tuned. I think that will correct some of the little annoyances I don't like.

post #8 of 30 Old 12-22-2009, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Franklin McGillacutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRCajun View Post
I did the other system and my bike is still running very well. I''m going to re-adapt it to my PCIII using a universal hub and MAP Sensor and then get it re-tuned. I think that will correct some of the little annoyances I don't like.
What system are you runnin??? Aren't you gonna have to run a Power Commander of one vareity or another??

post #9 of 30 Old 12-22-2009, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Franklin McGillacutty

The left side exhuast dosent it get hot?? or is it out of the way

post #10 of 30 Old 12-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Discen

By the other kit he means the other one from Wave (Bill has sold two). . . the kit comes with a GenIII made by dobeck. The exhaust gets hot, but there is a heat shield on it and you can barely tell through jeans, but it is too hot for shorts (but you shouldn't be riding any bike, especially a turbo bike with shorts on)

post #11 of 30 Old 12-22-2009, 09:34 PM
Tirone

If I was to ever turbo a bike, I think I'd just build the kit myself. New turbos go pretty cheap on ebay (just watch for the chinese knockoffs) A lil exhaust fabbing, good aftermarket standalone (like megasquirt)..and you're done. (Okay, it's not really THAT simple...but it wouldn't be all that hard either). When I bought my RR to dragrace I started to go turbo but chose nitrous instead. I still have the blow-thru turbo setup, just no need for it. I still bracket race some and turbos are anything but consistent. just my .02

XX motor in a 900 frame...Come get some.
post #12 of 30 Old 12-23-2009, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Franklin McGillacutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr900racer77 View Post
If I was to ever turbo a bike, I think I'd just build the kit myself. New turbos go pretty cheap on ebay (just watch for the chinese knockoffs) A lil exhaust fabbing, good aftermarket standalone (like megasquirt)..and you're done. (Okay, it's not really THAT simple...but it wouldn't be all that hard either). When I bought my RR to dragrace I started to go turbo but chose nitrous instead. I still have the blow-thru turbo setup, just no need for it. I still bracket race some and turbos are anything but consistent. just my .02
You must be running a wet kit who's set up are you using and how often do you fill bottles what size kit are you runnin(H.P.) I did NOS in my 'CUDA I was hittin the button alot so filling the bottle was all the time.

post #13 of 30 Old 12-23-2009, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Franklin McGillacutty

Turbo 919 is rare and with wave kit a sleeper. you cant really see it. That adds to the cool factor.

post #14 of 30 Old 12-23-2009, 06:41 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riquefied919 View Post
Turbo 919 is rare and with wave kit a sleeper. you cant really see it. That adds to the cool factor.
love the avatar, sweet

post #15 of 30 Old 12-23-2009, 09:30 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by riquefied919 View Post
You must be running a wet kit who's set up are you using and how often do you fill bottles what size kit are you runnin(H.P.) I did NOS in my 'CUDA I was hittin the button alot so filling the bottle was all the time.
yes, wet kit. NOS components. Get about 4 passes (1/8) out of 2lb bottle running 60 shot (20/24). Sold NOS kit, replacing it with Speedtech (soon as budget allows).

XX motor in a 900 frame...Come get some.
post #16 of 30 Old 12-24-2009, 05:44 AM
Brutale Hornet Builder

I have Megasquirted my old bike, Yamaha FJ1200 with ITB of a GSXR600 and a MSIIv3.
and a innovative broadband lambda sensor LM-1, I had it running and did all the tuning my selv and with this setup you know exactly where you are playing ... regarding to mixture.

So the detonation seems to be a result of running to lean, and properly becourse the compression wasnt lowered?

and If I had the time again to hook up a new set - I properly would do it, even with a turbo - I (as a non mechanic) learned a lot about engines and fueling but - well for me it wasnt that hard to get running

gained som 25+HP and 20nm

- But I think I would look into a sprintex kompressor ....

But I agree on the hidden factor ... makes it very cool - especialy becourse its illegal in Denmark ...

Lars

post #17 of 30 Old 12-24-2009, 05:57 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Cool avatar opper

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #18 of 30 Old 12-24-2009, 07:28 AM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by opper View Post
But I agree on the hidden factor ... makes it very cool - especialy becourse its illegal in Denmark ...

Lars
ILLEAGAL IN DENARK!
That's what we have to look forward to with our OneWorld Order, Global Warming President puke!

Man what is this world coming to!

post #19 of 30 Old 12-24-2009, 02:28 PM
just ride it...

I guess my thought is by the time you spend the time and money to add a turbo to your 919, you could just get a cbr1000rr, and turn it into a street fighter... But, to each their own...

post #20 of 30 Old 12-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb919er View Post
I guess my thought is by the time you spend the time and money to add a turbo to your 919, you could just get a cbr1000rr, and turn it into a street fighter... But, to each their own...
Yeah but it's so much more fun to blow the doors on some unsuspecting showoff on a 1000RR and watch his face when realizes he just kicked by little cheap naked bike.

post #21 of 30 Old 12-24-2009, 07:25 PM
just ride it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRCajun View Post
Yeah but it's so much more fun to blow the doors on some unsuspecting showoff on a 1000RR and watch his face when realizes he just kicked by little cheap naked bike.
Yeah, I'll go along with that. :001_smile:

post #22 of 30 Old 03-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Discen

Alright, bike is all back together and running great. List of mods: bore .25mm, JE pistons, 4 degree timing retard, turbo at 8 psi . . . renthal bars, integrated tail light, boost and a/f gauges. The problem with getting it fixed was a broken ground wire in the stock ECU. If this had anything to do with the original problem or not will probably never be known, I am just happy to have my Honda Hornet 925T back and running. Dyno guy didn't want to run it hard until after I had some more miles on the new pistons, so I will have numbers in a few hundred miles . . . now only if my gravel driveway wasn't covered in snow . . .

post #23 of 30 Old 03-10-2010, 10:55 PM
SiB
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoso View Post
Alright, bike is all back together and running great. List of mods: bore .25mm, JE pistons, 4 degree timing retard, turbo at 8 psi . . . renthal bars, integrated tail light, boost and a/f gauges. The problem with getting it fixed was a broken ground wire in the stock ECU. If this had anything to do with the original problem or not will probably never be known, I am just happy to have my Honda Hornet 925T back and running. Dyno guy didn't want to run it hard until after I had some more miles on the new pistons, so I will have numbers in a few hundred miles . . . now only if my gravel driveway wasn't covered in snow . . .
So whats your compression with the JE's?
And final boost numbers? 10+?

post #24 of 30 Old 03-11-2010, 02:53 AM
Imaginifer

Keep us posted of how its running BWOSO.
I have just recieved my J.E pistons from wave yesterday...they are now at the machine shop so i should have them back in a week!!
The compression ratio is lowered from 10.80 to 10.25 i think.

post #25 of 30 Old 03-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Discen

Sounds right Woodie. I am around 7.5-8 right now, planning on going up closer to 9 depending on A/F while on the dyno. The bike has plenty more power than I should have, and blowing the motor is pretty much a horrible thing to do, so I will stay a little low to ensure a functioning motor. If someone ships me some compatible injectors I will run more boost, but all of the ideas so far on more fuel seem a little involved for the return (kinda like putting a turbo on a naked bike, I know.)

post #26 of 30 Old 03-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Imaginifer

Have you done anything to help the motor breathe?

post #27 of 30 Old 03-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Discen

I have pretty much everything straight from WAVE, including exhaust, both upgrades, and two gauges (boost and a/f). I would say that an A/F gauge is something I would not run this bike without. I just got back from a nice ride and I know that my bike it hitting where I want it to at every rpm and every boost level. . . . that was the long answer, the short would be yes, a hollowed out stock pipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyeee View Post
Have you done anything to help the motor breathe?

post #28 of 30 Old 03-12-2010, 12:01 AM
Imaginifer

When i said breathe, i meant venting the crankcase pressure....i know you have the new pistons and boost pressures are quite low so maybe blow by will not be an issue...........Some times you find out when it starts to leak oil

post #29 of 30 Old 03-12-2010, 04:28 AM
Discen

I have a crank case breather with filter. . . nothing more than that.

post #30 of 30 Old 03-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Cool- I emailed wave a few months back, but decided instead of that kind of money into the 9er I should be happy and buy a 3rd bike for serious touring like a st1300.

But if the wife says Im stuck with 2 bikes I may upgrade to the wave turbo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode