919 Track Days Chronicles - Wrist Twisters
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-16-2010, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
McTavish
 
mcromo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,604
Rep Power: 1
 
919 Track Days Chronicles

Using stock pegs and levers ?
Ever seen the old LDH submitted photo showing the nicely ground rear brake lever from scratching ?
I look at the stock shift and brake levers on my bike, they look "out" and "low" to me, some of the "low" being my own setup to get things where I like it.
I now think it wise to bend them in as much as you can. Compound bending will be needed in order to end with a pedal that is square to the bike. Until last night at a Track Afternoon, I had never touched a lever, just the left hand peg.
I had a bit of an "almost" last night.
Cold day, cold pavement, no sun, no tire heat to speak of. Right hand low speed 2nd gear turn. Throttle cracked, maybe just leading a bit, not hard on the gas, that is for sure. Rear step out, bike flopped over some more without my asking, instantaneous grind, some chassis unsettling, then the rear came back in and all was well.
Got back to the pits.
Did my usual inter session inspection.
The rear brake lever was bent out, and back ! Big time !
Never seen that before.
Did a quick bend back repair with a 15 inch adjustable wrench.

mcromo44 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 09-16-2010, 10:23 AM
LDH
Test Rider
 
LDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: by the ocean
Posts: 4,337
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2


LDH is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 09-16-2010, 10:44 AM
Aquilifer
 
curiousmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Fremont, Ca
Posts: 1,264
Rep Power: 1
 
IMO, the 919 is very easy to grind parts on... particularly if you're on a bumpy road.

Admittedly, I'm on an 02 with a stock rear shock where the preload hasn't been set for my weight.

curiousmike is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 09-16-2010, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
McTavish
 
mcromo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,604
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousmike View Post
IMO, the 919 is very easy to grind parts on... particularly if you're on a bumpy road.

Admittedly, I'm on an 02 with a stock rear shock where the preload hasn't been set for my weight.
919s are easy to grind no matter what the suspension or its settings are.
Pegs fold.
Levers don't.
And worst is a grinding shift lever that can put you into a false neutral.
(One of my best friends had this happen doing Production Racing at Mosport in the 70s. Not pleasant at all.)

mcromo44 is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 09-16-2010, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
McTavish
 
mcromo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,604
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
Yep, that's the one !
It was the lever pedal end chamfering that caught my eye.
That part does not fold very well.

mcromo44 is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 09-19-2010, 10:21 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus
 
rickard919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 3,802
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Using stock pegs and levers ?
Ever seen the old LDH submitted photo showing the nicely ground rear brake lever from scratching ?
I look at the stock shift and brake levers on my bike, they look "out" and "low" to me, some of the "low" being my own setup to get things where I like it.
I now think it wise to bend them in as much as you can. Compound bending will be needed in order to end with a pedal that is square to the bike. Until last night at a Track Afternoon, I had never touched a lever, just the left hand peg.
I had a bit of an "almost" last night.
Cold day, cold pavement, no sun, no tire heat to speak of. Right hand low speed 2nd gear turn. Throttle cracked, maybe just leading a bit, not hard on the gas, that is for sure. Rear step out, bike flopped over some more without my asking, instantaneous grind, some chassis unsettling, then the rear came back in and all was well.
Got back to the pits.
Did my usual inter session inspection.
The rear brake lever was bent out, and back ! Big time !
Never seen that before.
Did a quick bend back repair with a 15 inch adjustable wrench.
I have an extra brake and shift lever if you need one. Just let me know.

Spoiler:

rickard919 is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 09-19-2010, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
McTavish
 
mcromo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,604
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickard919 View Post
I have an extra brake and shift lever if you need one. Just let me know.
Will do and appreciate the offer. Of course, if I reach the point of needing them, my fear is that the needed parts list will be much longer. I'm looking at a way of grafting on some Woodcraft levers that will still let me use my stock footpegs. Between my knees screaming at the track and the relaxed two up riding on the road with my wife on the back, I am not putting on rearsets.

mcromo44 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome