919 thoughts at 7500... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 10-23-2010, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Boilermaker in B-town

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

919 thoughts at 7500...

Just some rambling as the odo turns over 7500 miles...

Finally get to switch out the oem tires on the bike. The rear was quite squared off. I do a lot of interstate high speed commuting. So, good bye Bridgestone BattleAx B16's (I think they were B16's....they came from the factory). I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Road CT-2's. My first impression is that the bike doesn't turn in as quickly. No surprise I suppose, as the new tires have a broader profile visible to the naked eye, front and rear. Interesting how much "memory" your hands, arms, body have about what your bike "does" in a given situation. I've only ridden the bike home from the stealer with the new tires at this point.....this, I'm sure is a "I'll get used to the new feel and forget what the old was like" very quickly. Also means I'll "ride' the bike just a little more with my body to reproduce the quick-into-a-corner feeling. Note to self: check and see where the installers left the air pressure.... I've never had virtually any tires installed, and have them check out properly for air pressure the next day, after cooling over night.

Just did one of my twice a year oil changes last week. Got a bug up my rear and decided I was punting off expensive oil changes and switched from Amsoil to Rotella 15-40. The allure was just too hard to resist while standing in Wally World and contemplating the cost of a 4 qt container. Have ridden a bit since the change, the only performance difference I've noticed is that gear changes are just slightly notchier. Definitely in the acceptable range. Probaby wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't just changed it out. Unless the gear changes deteriorate further, I'll put the Rotella in again this spring. I will be watching to see how cold morning starts and performance go....I do ride, often into the upper 20's in the morning...hoping the 15W-40 doesn't thicken up too much.

Speaking of cold mornings, (the relative value of the stuff we buy, and how much we'll pay), I installed some Barkbuster Storm 1's on the bike to see if they help on those cold mornings. I've got some Gerber heated gloves, which are deluxe, but threading their power cord thru the Tourmaster is a drag. Maybe I'll be able to get away with Storm 1's and my touring gauntlets.

Speaking of the Tourmaster (sorry can't remember the model name: it's a long "touring style" jacket with liner), that I intend to use for cold weather. It's now in the shop. I bought and wore it for a little while at the end of the cold season last year. After 10-12 uses, the main zipper failed. Purchased too long ago for a refund. So, stopped at my friendly local tailor, and am having a metal zipper installed to replace the stock plastic one. The jacket's damn useless if you can't zip it up. If only the gear was dependable as the bike!

And, glad to know I still have some reflexes intact, as I found myself flying down the shoulder of my old buddy I-40 last night, after grope decided to occupy my space in the right lane without a turn of his head or check of his mirrors. Figures this would happen at late dusk when my headlight modulator was not working due to low light. If I had hit the brakes to make space for him, I would have been a grill ornament for a semi that was closing from behind at high speed. Without thinking I opted for the shoulder. Naturally grope and I were at the same speed (80 per).....I looked over and was receiving the Homer Simpson "doh" look..... then, did he slow down just a little so I could move back onto the road? Not until my angrily waving left arm seemed to snap him out of his...reverie. The niner's responses were controlled, predictable, and spot-on. Good to know the machine's there for ya'.

Anyway, hadn't posted up in a while....just some thoughts on the bike-life

"First You Fly, Then You Die!"--Los Lobos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-23-2010, 09:03 AM
Gets censored

Great post man, you should love the road2's..... you got 7500 miles out of a rear? what am I doing wrong?

And yes the 9er is a reliable performer in oh-shit situations.

post #3 of 18 Old 10-23-2010, 09:12 AM
Princeps Prior

......drop the front forks in the triples by 5mm....that will give your quick steering back and is a safe place to start with. Currently at 10mm on mine.

Welcome back!

post #4 of 18 Old 10-23-2010, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Boilermaker in B-town

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Brian, you're probably doin' nuthin' wrong.....just having fun!
I'm a self-admitted no-wheelie, smooth control inputs kinda' guy.....tho' I almost did a stoppie in a bad situation (on I-40, again) not long ago.
Not as much fun as using the rear wheel hard for other reasons.....but it works!

post #5 of 18 Old 10-23-2010, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Boilermaker in B-town

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Of course, using the front tire that way saved my bacon....

post #6 of 18 Old 10-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Aquilifer

IMO, you cannot compare new tires to used, squared off unevenly worn and fucked up tires.

post #7 of 18 Old 10-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Aquilifer

That post was pissy. Sorry.
It's just one of those threads I read online that strikes me as, "duh."

post #8 of 18 Old 10-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

I'm on the second set of PR2's and they are great.

I too decided to economize and I went with Rotella T6 full synthetic at 50K.

I still find the turn-in quite quick without the fork adjustment compared to my ST1300.

BTW.........was Oscar Grope behind the wheel of his Belchfire V8?

I would venture to say that not many riders remember Stu Monroe from Rider Magazine who first referenced Oscar.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #9 of 18 Old 10-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Le So Cal Troll

rotella t is the way to go

15w40 might be a LITTLE thick for cold morning starts.... although if its in a garage thats 35*F + i wouldnt mind... just let the motor warm up.... there's always rotella T full syn 5-4

post #10 of 18 Old 10-23-2010, 12:12 PM
The Cripple

according to the bottle, it said it was good for as good as 20 degrees. i too switched to rotella myself the other day, and man it smoothed that transmission out so much. long overdue for an oilchange and couldnt afford the amsoil deal that rick was able to offer me. it helped reading all the reviews on this forum as my oldschool motorcycle racer neighbor was overtly concerned that i didnt buy a "motorcycle specific" oil. i think i'll try to convert him : )

post #11 of 18 Old 10-23-2010, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Boilermaker in B-town

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Well, I was right. Front and rear over inflated.
I dropped the extra 10 pounds the dealer put in the front tire, and the extra 5 in the rear, and the balance is much better. Ride was noticeably softer or more compliant.
Took her out for a quick 60 miles on back roads to get the cosmoline, or whatever it is they put on new tires that makes 'em slick, scuffed up a bit, and all is well. What a ride! Had the road almost all to myself for an hour and a half...

And yeah, it was Oscar Grope, on I-40, alright.
I'm even old enough to remember 2%'ers.

post #12 of 18 Old 10-23-2010, 12:27 PM
Le So Cal Troll

ya... ur good. this is from the 919 service manual... 15-40W is good down to ~ 22*F by the chart..

oh and BTW Rotella T 15w40 standard oil... and the 5-40 full syn ARE certified motorcycle oils.... just look on the back of the bottle... should say JASO MA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture2.JPG (71.4 KB, 11 views)

post #13 of 18 Old 10-23-2010, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Boilermaker in B-town

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Though I'm cutting it close on the lower end of the temp range, I think I'll be fine, too. Ambient temps in the garages around here seldom drop much below 40-45 degrees. I always let the bike run while I'm putting on gloves and helmet, closing the garage doors, etc.

Oh yeah, another 7500 mile observation: exhaust system is aging nicely. Much throatier than it was just a thousand miles ago. I know quite a few on the list don't like the stock sound. But I do. It's sounding more like a hot-rod '82 CB900 Supersport that I almost bought, with the passing miles. And that's a good thing! Love the sound rollin' her on.

post #14 of 18 Old 10-26-2010, 05:23 PM
The Cripple

wait til you open up those pipes, she gets throatier!

got a set of eroin racing pipes on mine and oh my god i cant STOP crackin the throttle when i can. i DO need to install my PCIII though as i hear the sound some time before i feel anything lol!

post #15 of 18 Old 10-26-2010, 05:24 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
i hear the sound some time before i feel anything lol!
that's what she said.... too good for me to pass up

post #16 of 18 Old 10-27-2010, 09:14 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Someone that really knows, chime in, but I think the Roads have a little more rubber on them from the get. The "rain grooves" (<cuz I don't know what they're really called), are deeper on the Roads.

I was thinking, the weight of all the rubber, that the new tires have, over the worn tires made for more gyro.

Cosmoline.... you're an old shooter.

post #17 of 18 Old 10-27-2010, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Boilermaker in B-town

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Had a CB750 Custom with after market pipes......even with earplugs, the bike was tiring to ride for long.
But I must say the high pitched, inline-4 shriek the bike made when you flogged it was satisfying
As for Cosmoline.......yeah, I'm old school Can't be denied.

post #18 of 18 Old 10-27-2010, 05:58 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

38,500 miles and counting on Lil Red and no, not one complaint at all.
Some of the best $$$ ever spent.

[

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode