919 Tank repair and new paint job - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 20 Old 04-06-2012, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
What's a 919?

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

919 Tank repair and new paint job

Well, a while back I had the great fortune of buying a rain-suit for those rides where you just get wet. Long story short, the stirrup style pants hooked in my kick stand and down I went, luckily only putting a nice shit-shaped dent right in the crease of my gas tank. Not on a flat side, but right on the crease. Well, horseshit.

Fast forward almost a year. I was away for two weeks in Missouri and decided to take a buddy up on his offer to help me repair the tank. A few fills of Hysol, sanding, couple coats of sealant, more sanding, and I received my bike today ready for a new paint job on the tank.

After doing my front and rear fender in rattle-can matte black last year, I though this would be the perfect chance to experiment a little bit with some rattle can magic. This is currently a work in progress and will probably take the rest of the week until finnissimo pics are uploaded, but here is where we are so far.

Original dent on the R/H side of the tank. Lucky to not have a puncture.

Masking and the first layer of filler.

2nd layer of filler, and sanding to contour.

More sanding to contour.

Last layer of filler, sealant, sanded to contour and primer applied.

After my first coat of primer and paint.

There will be more pics to come as more coats go on and the bike takes on a completely new appearance and design that I have personally never seen before. The fill and contour is not perfect, it never will be, but it takes more than a passing glance to notice the minute flaws and with that, I am happy. For the new paint job; think a little bit of cafe racer styling with some of my own touches. I'm excited to welcome in a new 'rat' bike in which I absolutely love it; but am no longer overly concerned if it gets a scratch here or there. Say what you like, blah blah it's only a 919, but I love it and feel quite freed by the fact that I can now do what I want with it and experiment a bit.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Tirone

Very nice! I've been debating on whether or not to take mine to the shop for painting and a bit of body work. How many hours do you suppose you've spent on it?

post #3 of 20 Old 04-06-2012, 04:55 PM
Ian

Looks great man. Nice work!

post #4 of 20 Old 04-06-2012, 05:45 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Good for you, Nathan! I just got my 919 back on the road, too...Paint & body work are SOOOO tedious to do! I hope you end up as satisfied and proud of your efforts as I am right now with mine!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #5 of 20 Old 04-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Ian

A few tips I will add.
-Take the time and remove the tank from the bike, results will be much cleaner.
-Use a filler primer then knock it down looking for low spots.
-If using spray bombs stick them in a bucket/sink full of hot water for 10-15min. It will expand the propellent and make the paint atomize better. It really makes a night and day difference when using spray cans.

post #6 of 20 Old 04-06-2012, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
What's a 919?

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikhon View Post
How many hours do you suppose you've spent on it?
mmmm.....Methinks about 12 hours thus far over ~5 days. Haven't really been keeping track and with some of that time being spent watching paint dry, it's just a good guesstimate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliMech View Post
-Take the time and remove the tank from the bike, results will be much cleaner.

-If using spray bombs stick them in a bucket/sink full of hot water for 10-15min. It will expand the propellent and make the paint atomize better. It really makes a night and day difference when using spray cans.
I felt removing/reinstalling the tank was excess work (with more possibility of damaging/breaking/replacing things) than what a few extra minutes of masking off and covering up could easily take care of for over-spray.
Yes, removing the tank would have provided a completely free 360deg work area but even with it on the bike, its not much of an inconvenience for me and I've been very pleased with the results thus far.

Are 'spray bombs' slang for spray paint cans? If so, submerging them in hot water is something I've never heard of. Interesting. I look forward to posting up more in-progress pics and some final product pictures.

post #7 of 20 Old 04-06-2012, 07:11 PM
Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboStraub 919 View Post
Are 'spray bombs' slang for spray paint cans? If so, submerging them in hot water is something I've never heard of. Interesting.
Yes spray paint cans. It's an old trick that works great!

post #8 of 20 Old 04-08-2012, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
What's a 919?

Awards Showcase

Painting update: Things are coming along quite nicely, even with the minor setback of a little paint run on the second coat. I've spent just about everyday this week masking/painting/sanding/watching paint dry and will finally be ready for clear coats tomorrow. The original design I had thought of went straight out of the window after I tried a variation of it on my front fender. Needless to say, the new scheme isn't as original and though it takes a bit more work, looks so much better in my opinion.

Anyway, with good luck and skill, I will be finished by Sunday or Monday next week. I'll have to take a ride somewhere's scenic to get some more appealing final product pics for you all, but here's the progress so far.

Side covers; exciting, I know! ha

Front fender. What do we have going on here? Depending on how good your eyes are, you might be able to see the design.

First layout of the tank

Trying to show the original state of the rear fender. I'm just now realizing I haven't taken any pics of it's progress.

Taking the extra time and patience to think a few coats ahead and mask things off sufficiently will make it easier for you in the long run. Believe me, this has been a longer process than what I'd like, but it will be worth it.

Like the comment for the last pic says; it's been a long 5 days of working after work and the week being full of absolutely gorgeous weather, makes the process of having the bike down for cosmetic reasons even more of a pain. I know it will be worth it in the end as I'm already pretty proud of how it looks so far just sitting at home or in my friend's garage, but I can't wait to take it for a ride in the country, down the street, or to my favorite watering hole. Patience grass-hoppa!

As a side-note. Something I learned last night: A man expecting a woman to notice the completely new paint job on his motorcycle is the equivalent of a woman expecting a man to notice her new haircut. lol Oh well...

post #9 of 20 Old 04-08-2012, 04:44 PM
What?

Are you painting the tank and tail on the bike...?

post #10 of 20 Old 04-08-2012, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
What's a 919?

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002-919 View Post
Are you painting the tank and tail on the bike...?
Tank is being done on the bike. Tail fairing was removed for painting. Pics aren't in exact order.

Finished product pics coming soon!

post #11 of 20 Old 04-08-2012, 05:58 PM
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboStraub 919

Tank is being done on the bike. Tail fairing was removed for painting. Pics aren't in exact order.

Finished product pics coming soon!
Nice. Looking forward to the finished product.

post #12 of 20 Old 04-08-2012, 06:13 PM
Cornicen

Painting the tank on the bike?! Brave man. Looking good so far.

I actually like the raw metal finish. I wonder if the welds are clean enough to just clear coat a paintless (and dentless, haha) tank? Could be interesting with a black tail. Sorta modern-retro cafe look.

post #13 of 20 Old 04-08-2012, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
What's a 919?

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda ng gingsa View Post

I actually like the raw metal finish. I wonder if the welds are clean enough to just clear coat a paintless (and dentless, haha) tank? Could be interesting with a black tail. Sorta modern-retro cafe look.
I live on the wild side...ha! A raw metal finish? Now that would be unique. Why didn't I even think of that when considering my semi cafe-racer paint scheme? That would definitely be an interesting look!

post #14 of 20 Old 04-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Needs training wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda ng gingsa View Post

When I had the tank completely stripped down, I thought about the stainless polished raw metal look but I didn't think the tank would polish out right. My next paint job will be to ready for sale in the next month (as long as I heal from my surgery quickly). Just trying to pick a color that will speed sale. While I'm here can I get some opinions: Back to original Glory Red or RustOleum Dark Steel?

post #15 of 20 Old 04-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Immune

Factory colors seem to bring more $$. (and that's probably understating it...) If you can get more money out of a non factory color, then you probably have excellent taste. I've seen several 919's with "custom paint" and I dont think the same could be said for their owners Flames and skulls on a 919 dont help the bike sell... Or tiger stripes for that matter....

post #16 of 20 Old 04-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Needs training wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocomomark View Post
Factory colors seem to bring more $$. (and that's probably understating it...) If you can get more money out of a non factory color, then you probably have excellent taste. I've seen several 919's with "custom paint" and I dont think the same could be said for their owners Flames and skulls on a 919 dont help the bike sell... Or tiger stripes for that matter....
So true. I see these guys posting on Craigs all the time emphasizing the custom paint job worth $2000 that ups the value... Sorry guy but your super long swing arm or wispy green flames on your FZ1 don't appeal to everyone.

I planned on doing a white paint job with offset red/black stripes if I were to keep the bike but since I'm not, gotta go more traditional. The dark steel is effin' cool but think the red will be my best bet... we shall see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stupid.jpg (243.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg stupid2.jpg (12.0 KB, 136 views)

post #17 of 20 Old 04-09-2012, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
What's a 919?

Awards Showcase

Finished! I'm happy. Here are some pics.

post #18 of 20 Old 04-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Fantastic job. Hard to believe you did that with the tank on the bike. Very nice Rob.

post #19 of 20 Old 04-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Sixty-9er

Looks good just make damn sure you never spill a drop of gas on it.

"Grip it and Rip it!"
post #20 of 20 Old 04-09-2012, 08:21 PM
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike
Fantastic job. Hard to believe you did that with the tank on the bike. Very nice Rob.
+1 Looks good!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode