919 suspension mods - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 89 Old 10-10-2006, 07:26 PM
motoxer101

919 suspension mods

anyone have advice on what mods, what other model Honda forks work with stock Honda 919 triple clamps. OR....upside down fork install how to, what I need type comments.

Also...rear shocks....who, what, where, how much?? thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 Old 10-10-2006, 07:58 PM

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

cbr600f4-f4i forks should work and I believe the same forks are on a few other models, rear shock http://www.kyleusa.com/catalog/ohlin...19_4707933.htm and there are probably a few other shocks that will work from other honda but Im not sure.

post #3 of 89 Old 10-10-2006, 08:48 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Race-Tech or Ohlins springs for the front. Ohlins or Penske out back.

post #4 of 89 Old 10-11-2006, 01:44 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Send your forks plus 4-5 hundred dollars to Dan Kyle. When you get them back they will be right.

post #5 of 89 Old 10-11-2006, 06:16 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

there is no "howto" for the USD at the moment...

generally you have to worry about some fab work when it comes to the steering stem

IF you're going to do a front end, buy an ENTIRE front end (forks/triples/wheel/rotors etc.)

the 929/954 front end is short (by about 1.5" in fork leg length)
the RC51 legs are just about the same length as stock 919 legs

you'll want an upper triple clamp that can handle standard bars vice clip ons
u can drill a 929/954 setup, purchase something from FullThrottle Inc or check out the Spiegler kit...LSL might even have one

-------

F4i forks are a drop in, FYI: you need the F4i fender to complete the mod...won't work w/ stock 919 fender

------

there are several rear shock options, Ohlins carries at least 2 shock setups for the back of the 919

if you cross the Pond, there are even more shock options

recent thread on rear shock options for 919

post #6 of 89 Old 10-11-2006, 10:54 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 

Or you can save your money & put it towards some riding gear or track time. There is very little return on investment for the 919 in terms of suspension. If you really need a better handling bike then buy one.

post #7 of 89 Old 10-11-2006, 11:09 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
Or you can save your money & put it towards some riding gear or track time. There is very little return on investment for the 919 in terms of suspension. If you really need a better handling bike then buy one.
i'll save you some time and money, instead of going to the track...just try Crack !! crack is cheaper and they have rehab !!

start spending your $$ on track time and the next thing you know it's a track bike...and track gear...and track time...and more track time...then you start trying to balance things like, if i blow off work and goto the track...will i still have a job when i get back? and then you start to wonder if you really care cause then you'd be free for that event next weekend...

in the longrun, an $800 ohlins shock is for sure cheaper

is it money better spent? nah...just getting the bike sprung properly for yourself will make the biggest difference...the ohlins will smooth out the day to day ride for sure but an incorrectly setup ohlins will take chunks out of your rear tire cause u've got the rebound all F'd up

post #8 of 89 Old 10-11-2006, 11:11 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

moto, what r ur plans for the 919?
what's on your mind when u r askin about suspension mods...

noticed u were less than enthused about coring the stock exhaust ( a free mod to change the 'stealthy sewing machine sound' of the stock 919)

what up??

reason i ask is, both Mikes are spot on w/ the sage advice...still, there are those of us who have been turned to the darkside, track time, riding gear and r STILL spendin money on 919 mods (mostly for sh!tz 'n grinz)

post #9 of 89 Old 10-11-2006, 07:19 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 

You can have the fronts done by Race Tech.
The rear is non-rebuildable.Its a purchase thing.
For your commute for now, try turning out the rebound 1 to1-1/2 turns out from stock, both front & rear.
I noticed your 1" "chicken strip" on the rear, so I don't think you'll out-ride the softer settings going to & from work.:001_smile:
It may be a little bouncy on larger freeway dips, but I think you'll like the ride a little more.
When you go to the Canyon in Malibu,turn'em back in.
It's a cheaper alternative for the not-so independently wealthy.
Just a suggestion.
http://www.racetech.com/evalving/english/Srchpr.asp?bikeid=163&manufacture=Honda&model=919% 2DCB900F&year=04%2D06&TABLEINFO=street&langname=en glish

post #10 of 89 Old 10-11-2006, 07:37 PM

I installed RaceTech springs and valves in the forks and put an Ohlins in the rear. Bike has the smooth firm ride I wanted. 10000 times better than stock.

post #11 of 89 Old 10-11-2006, 07:42 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudarra View Post
I installed RaceTech springs and valves in the forks and put an Ohlins in the rear. Bike has the smooth firm ride I wanted. 10000 times better than stock.
How Much $$$?

post #12 of 89 Old 10-11-2006, 09:15 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

racetech full kit is a few pesos

low budget upgrade:

rear shock...swap it for a used F3 shock $25-$75 (have it rebuilt to suit if u have the funds)

forks...drop in some spacers $5, throw on some adj caps $25...beef the springs $90 if needed

OR better yet; send the forks to Lindeman Engr'ng, Dan Kyle, GMD, Traxxion, Racetech or whomever...Dan won't oversell a street rider tryin to squeeze blood from a turnip or performance improvements on a 919

jayfooey can run down the full racetech kit and install...there's a parts list floatin around somewhere w/ cost #'s

post #13 of 89 Old 10-11-2006, 09:17 PM
TrackXperience Pusher!

Quote:
+1
I spent roughly $1,500

I canĀ“t give you the exactlys, But if you order from Cal-sportbike.com, tell them Jay referred you to them, they may give you the same deal they gave me.

also see this thread on Project919.com for the parts list...
http://forums.project919.com/viewtopic.php?t=179

post #14 of 89 Old 10-12-2006, 12:45 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Ive been on the track a couple of times. Everyone should do it once. It's cool. I did learn a couple of things. However, I not in any hurry to go again. Altho track time has it's rewards, it is expensive and exhausting. Suspention work vs track time. I will never understand why you can't do both.

I had the suspention on my 929 done several months ago. That bike rides and handles wonderfully. If you plan on keeping the 919 for several more years, call Dan Kyle.

post #15 of 89 Old 10-12-2006, 03:24 AM

The Ohlins rear is $800 from Dan Kyle.
Racetech valve kits are $159
Racetech spring kits are $109
Fork oil was about $24 per quart (needed slightly more than one).
My bike is only 9 months old, so I didn't need to replace any bushings or seals.

If you are mechanically inclined, have the honda service manual, and a good set of dial calipers (needed for valve shims) its not hard to do.

post #16 of 89 Old 10-12-2006, 07:02 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Altho track time has it's rewards, it is expensive and exhausting. Suspention work vs track time. I will never understand why you can't do both.
You can do both the problem is on the 919 it is just not worth it... You can spend $10,000 on some of the best suspension parts around & when you are done your 919 will still have a weak chassis & swingarm that causes more problems than the suspension itself ever thought of & a bone stock 600cc bike from 2000 will still absolutely kill it in every facet of handling & performance.

Sure it will be more compliant after putting an $800 shock on it, but does it really make it handle all that better or increase the bikes potential? Not to a very large degree at all. Put that same $800 shock on a GSXR or CBR or any other purpose built bike designed for handling & you instantly have a surgical instrument in your hands. It transforms those sport oriented bikes into something more than they already are, but it also tightens their focus making them even more race oriented & less ideal to be a 2-up bike or something you want to ride to get some bread & milk...

The beauty of the 919 is the exact opposite. It is not a focused racing machine. It doesn't carve canyons like a razor, it doesn't tour like a sofa, but it can do both of those jobs reasonably well and many others & is the perfect bike for just running to the video store or going sightseeing for no reason at all. If you try to change it into something it is not then it will quickly become less than the sum of its parts.

I mean if you just have money falling from trees in your yard then hell yea, put a USD front end on the bike & an Ohlins shock & whatever else trips your trigger, but as much as you guys in general complain about money & looking for cheap & free mods like gutting your stock exhausts it blows my mind that you can justify spending $150-$200 on some valves or other BS that make so little difference to the overall handling of the bike. I would be willing to bet $1000 that the vast majority of you couldn't even tell the difference if you did a blind test back to back of a bikes with and without Racetech valves or even with just fluid or spring swaps. Hell I rode a guys 919 at TGP months ago that he had spent $600 on a complete front end re-work & it handled like ****. I mean seriously the guy told me he wasn't sure himself if the front end was better or not after spending the money & trust me it wasn't... The good part of that scenario is at least he was smart enough to realize it for himself. Most riders suffer from the placebo effect & would just think since they spent $600 on suspension work that it automatically had to be better regardless of the truth of the matter & they would swear to their dying day & to ALL YOU PEOPLE reading this kind of crap in a message forum that it was.

Just my .02

post #17 of 89 Old 10-12-2006, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog View Post
forks...drop in some spacers $5, throw on some adj caps $25...beef the springs $90 if needed
You're not saying that the 04+ adjustable caps will fit an 02, are you? I had thought that there was some other kind of adjustable machinery in there other than just the cap. I'd love to be able to stiffen the spring just a bit.

post #18 of 89 Old 10-12-2006, 08:10 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

If you just want to stiffen the stock springs cut some PVC pipe & stick it between the cap & the spring.

post #19 of 89 Old 10-12-2006, 08:34 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohn505 View Post
You're not saying that the 04+ adjustable caps will fit an 02, are you? I had thought that there was some other kind of adjustable machinery in there other than just the cap. I'd love to be able to stiffen the spring just a bit.

good Q, not sure...prolly will fit, f4i's did
(someone post up if you have actually made the swap)

and yes, there's other stuff...but if it's just the spring you want to stiffen, the spacer works and the cap adds a wee bit of adjustability

post #20 of 89 Old 10-12-2006, 08:49 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
You can do both the problem is on the 919 it is just not worth it... et al
ok u genuflecting so and so's...one of you get up off your knees, step away from the altar and post somethin

no need for Socratic dialogue to find the truth, as the essential point is already conceded, howsomever; the veritable plethora of fallacious arguments is near overwhelming and deserves some response

for the moment i am mute and i fear it will be Thanksgiving b4 i'm able to say much....but, just in case there's someone out there, here are a couple hints:

>low cost mods are not inherently incongruous with costly mods especially when ROI is considered on a street bike racking up the miles over several to many years
>beware when folks use words like "you people"
>"performance" and "handling" are relative terms until a common definition has been agreed to (e.g. daily street riding vice track time)
>how many 919's actually have USD front ends and of those, how many were mod'd for performance's sake? what were the real world costs involved?

post #21 of 89 Old 10-12-2006, 09:23 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

i'm gonna add this, only because i just recently had a conversation with, well let's just say...a world class intellect on a similar topic...ok not so similar, the discussion was mathematics and conventional methods used to determine 'space' but much of the same still applies

book learning is only good for so much (and internet forums even less so), it is only through doing that you gain experience useful enough and worthy enough to pass along to others

the thrill, for me, has been discovering things on my own and then searching for an understanding of how/why...so i'll give you to apropos examples:

1) i bought an ohlins shock after putting a couple thousand miles on my 919 back in 02 -- installed it, set it according to specs and thought i was the shiznit

yeah sure, it felt better (smoother) at low speeds but only after riding it for a bit did i start to have questions...why was it harsh at speed under certain conditions, why did it bounce more in a broad dip at speed

so i started to fiddle w/ adjustments and quickly learned that some things worked and some things totally screwed the pooch...that's when i started askin more questions and gettin some help track side and finally found a setup that worked well under most non-track conditions

i'm happy as a clam now but the process took a couple years, talkin to some experts, sitting in on a seminar or two and then having an opportunity to work some issues w/ feedback from those who know wtf they are talking about

2) forks -- my first track day, i wanted to have the 919 setup for me...had some racetech springs installed by the local shop (noticed right away the front end sat up higher...or sagged less under my weight)....went through hell to get the forks installed, worked all day and then drove all night to make my day at the track on no sleep (dumbass)

here comes the good part, i'm all proud of gettin the forks rebuilt, installed and as luck (ok, not luck...generosity) would have it, i had a very well known suspension expert take a look at my bike....me smiling, tellin him i did it myself

so the 'expert' touches the bike once, pushes down and in 2 seconds he says, "this is complete ****"...oh man did that suck, reality blows sometimes...i worked so hard to get the fuggers installed for that day, drove 9 freakin hours on no sleep, was nervous as hell about bein at the track for the first time and to hear this...well it just really sucked, on top of it, my fancy schmancy yellow spring wasn't setup correctly either...just for basic sag

well i rode the next day anyway....and my skills never exposed the crappy suspension setup for what it was but i did get the bug

fast forward a couple years to my first day on a 01 Gix600 w/ penske double clicker w/ traxxion forks setup for someone within 20lbs of my riding weight...Sweet Mary Mother of ...WOW, i didn't know a bike could be this smooth...holy crap!! the thing turns on it own, rides like it's on rails AND i could appreciate it...finally

So....why am i typing all this when it essentially substantiates all of the criticisms leveled in this thread, because i'm tryin to procrastinate at work and because it's the truth (as i understand it anyways) and you can save yourself some time and money or you can do it the hard way

yeah i have rc51 stix in the shop (along w/ 2 929/954 front ends) and yeah i have a yellow spring and no, i don't think it's my business to tell others how to spend $$.... BUT letting other folks know that money spent on 919 suspension will not get you the kinds of returns you would see on a "sportbike" (and the same holds true for most all 919 performance mods...not just susp), letting them know that it's not the best use of limited funding...this is a good and just thing to do

post #22 of 89 Old 10-12-2006, 09:32 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

and to the guys at work...who are reading this, cause i tripped the timer typin all this

damn it man, i'm tryin to help...there is a deadline and your azz is on it...there will be no mercy when the big guy starts askin for answers, it will be all about accomplishments and noone has accomplished enough to date, period.

post #23 of 89 Old 10-12-2006, 09:55 AM
Honda Addict

This is something I have wondered about before. Will the '04 adjustable caps work in place of the '03 non-adj ones? I did some research with Ron Ayers microfiche and came up with this.

Here's a link to the '04 diagram

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_04...90&parent=4940

And here's a link to the '03 diagram.

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_04...80&parent=4940

Obviously, they list different part #'s for the 2 caps. here's the weird part. I checked the part #'s with a person at Service Honda (always cheaper) and they say that the '04 caps are cheaper...MUCH cheaper. Try $15.84 for the adjustable '04 cap (part # 51454-MBW-D61) vs. $42.65 for the non-adj '03 cap (part # 51545-MZ1-003)..

I even argued with the guy that the '04 cap has to be the more expensive one and he double checked it.

This leaves 2 questions -

1. Will the '04 adjustable caps work on '02-'03?

2. Have they got the part #'s / prices swapped?

Now, educate me here if I'm wrong, but isn't the function of that adjuster to apply preload by pushing down on the spacer / spring assembly? Or is there more to it than that?

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #24 of 89 Old 10-12-2006, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorbike View Post

This leaves 2 questions -

1. Will the '04 adjustable caps work on '02-'03?

2. Have they got the part #'s / prices swapped?

Now, educate me here if I'm wrong, but isn't the function of that adjuster to apply preload by pushing down on the spacer / spring assembly? Or is there more to it than that?
It looks like there's more to the damper near the top there. That said, maybe it still just pushes down on it, adding preload.

post #25 of 89 Old 10-12-2006, 01:32 PM

I spent my money where I needed it. I wanted a smoother firmer ride. I got it. I didn't buy the 919 to do trackdays. I wanted a good street bike whose primary role is commuting and sport touring.

Maybe I did more research on suspension than most, cause it only took me a couple of days in the mountians to get the damping dialed in.
(preload is a piece of cake, can be done with one other person and a tape measure). And yes, it made a vast difference. I got the ride I payed to get.

The stock suspension was harsh and sloppy. And before you ask, yes, I spent many hours dialing the stock suspension to get the best ride I could out of it, and it still wasn't smooth enough.

So for the race junkies that think whoever asks a suspension question wants to track whore their 919...... Chill the F*** out!

The author of this thread never made mention of track days or such. They just wanted info on what mods people have done.

post #26 of 89 Old 10-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

ok...now i remember why i created project919, for times like this where bunches of bs discussion could corrupt the uninitiated but there are still those that want some more detailed info or 'splaining

to the newbies; don't spend $$ on 919 susp mods, there are better places to spend hard earned dollars

to the more experienced; you should know better than to ask silly questions

to the intermediates; the only goal of 919 suspension adjustment should be to put the system (stock or otherwise) into it's "sweet spot"

getting to the "sweet spot" means different things depending on the year of the forks, rider weight etc. but the essential goal is to get the forks into a place where they can provide maximum return on compression/rebound damping....which is how we get to acceptable sag #'s front and rear, which is really a range and you want to be somewhere near the middle of that acceptable range

trying to solve problems by adding preload to a spring (compressing it) will likely result in a harsh ride (loss of compression damping) unless you're pretty close to having the correct spring in the first place....so get the correct springs and then fine tune the preload w/ spacers

howto adj preload w/ spacers? get a couple washers that match the diameter of your springs and some pvc to sit on top of that and then the caps...viola compressed spring, now measure your sag and cut the spacer down until you hit the target range and leave it (several detailed howtos are out there...google up motorcycle fork adjustment preload and you should see some well known sites w/ writeups)

as for the price issue w/ the caps, the adj caps prolly have big holes in them where the adjuster screws in....used cores on ebay less than $30

post #27 of 89 Old 10-12-2006, 01:50 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

I don't presume anyone wants to track their 919 I just know modding the suspension on one is not a very good return on the investment. If all you are looking for is a slightly more compliant ride & you think $1000-$1500 is a fair trade for it & money well spent then great. More power to you. Most in the real world will disagree if they are given a chance to compare the results versus the cost for themselves. The real problem is the lack of unbiased info because nobody that just spent the actual $1000+ on their bike will eat crow & publicly say it was money wasted or at the very least even admit it could have been money better spent on other options.

I've got nothing to gain by telling you not to mod your bike. Infact I am notorious for telling people that the first thing they should do to their sportbike is concentrate on the suspension & handling, but this bike the 919 just doesn't get the same results from it. It is better left alone & enjoyed for what it is. If you want to become a better rider then I assure you in this case the money is much better spent on track time or a riding school etc rather than bolt-ons for your bike.

post #28 of 89 Old 10-12-2006, 01:56 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
So for the race junkies that think whoever asks a suspension question wants to track whore their 919...... Chill the F*** out!

The author of this thread never made mention of track days or such. They just wanted info on what mods people have done.
the author did ask for "advice" on mods and susp....

so what if someone's advice was "don't" spend $ on susp upgrades, nothin wrong w/ that...sure it gets a little less neighborly during the explanation of why not to spend the $$...but prolly only to folks like me and you that are spending the $$, no ??? haha don't sweat it!!

and i hear ya about settin the 9r up for the road and i'm pretty happy w/ it now...but there's a dang sight difference between that and the feeling of riding a dialed in RR on the track, suspension tweaked just for you....man i just can't express how confidence inspiring it was. i felt like it was impossible to unsettle the bike and just started huckin it around until an instructor let me know that i was workin way too hard, having fun yes, but workin too hard...so then it was time to practice gettin smooth...oh man, 4 secs dropped off my laptimes and i though it was goin slower cause it was so easy...point being, there is much truth in what was said AND the original author had the questions answered (at least that's what i tried to do w/ the first post)

don't get caught up in the harshin that may happen, words should be bridges to peaceful thoughts shared with others BUT if they're not listening, then u grab the 2x4 and whack'em upside brain bucket

post #29 of 89 Old 10-12-2006, 01:58 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Zen-Rat discovering the path to riding smarter instead of harder

I love it!

post #30 of 89 Old 10-12-2006, 02:11 PM

Quote:
don't get caught up in the harshin that may happen, words should be bridges to peaceful thoughts shared with others BUT if they're not listening, then u grab the 2x4 and whack'em upside brain bucket

That's poetic man.

post #31 of 89 Old 10-12-2006, 02:12 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

until you realize I am the one carrying the 2x4...

post #32 of 89 Old 10-12-2006, 03:01 PM
Honda Addict

The $125 I spent on Racetech 1kg springs and 15w fork oil was the extent of what I'm willing to put into the suspension. And I cut new spacers so it now has 30mm of static sag with my 220 lb ass on it. Given the huge difference I've experienced with less front end dive when braking and not bouncing as bad when cornering on wavy roads, it was money well spent.

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #33 of 89 Old 10-12-2006, 05:50 PM

Hello everybody. This is my first post to the forum, I have been lurking here for several months. I have LDH's old bike (919) that I unwittingly "rescued" from the guy he sold it to a couple of years back. It's now in fine shape with a brand new set of SATO Ti cans, Renthal Ultra Lows, and a few other personal touches as well as all the trick bits that LDH installed.

Now to the point, I recently spend some money on suspension mods, as I'm 230 lbs and tend to stress the stock suspension a bit. I don't do track days (yet) but I do like to ride "sporty" through the twisties as well as a daily 5 mile commute to the office. I went with Race-Tech 1Kg springs and new 8w oil up front and a Works Performance custom (for my weight) shock in the rear. I'll probably go to a heavier weight oil pretty soon, Race-Tech recommended that I start with the stock weight oil and make changes if necessary. The WP shock is truly a work of art, and totally adjustable for preload, rebound, and compression.

In my opinion, the best "bang for the buck" suspension improvement to the 919 is a new set of fork springs/fork oil. It's a relatively cheap suspension mod that really improved my ride quality, ability to go faster, and overall enoyment. While I like the new shock (it did improve ride quality a bit and it looks great) I feel like it really didn't make a whole lot of difference overall, certainly not worth the $700 I spent on it. I would have been just as happy with the $700 in my pockey and my crappy old Showa in the rear.

There are always going to be those who do entire front end swaps and others like me who enjoy spending too much on their toys. We all do things for different reasons and I say go for it if that's your thing. However, my advice to the average joe would be to skip the rear suspension mods as the cost benefit ratio is not there, touch up the front with some better springs and be done with it.

Later,
JeffH

post #34 of 89 Old 10-12-2006, 06:31 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

welcome jeff... +1, get the bike sprung correctly

'they' (the van patten family?) ...'they say' honda's are notoriously underslung and underdamped for fat american asses, new springs at least give the suspension dampin a fighting chance at doin somethin useful

post #35 of 89 Old 10-12-2006, 07:13 PM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

If you love the bike, and you got the money to spend, then mod the hell out of it. The 919 may not be as competent as other sport bikes, but it's your bike. You may not get the gains that another bike may get for the dollar, but as long as you realize that, and you still wanna spend the money, then go ahead.
Analogy: I'm big into Off-Roading with my Tacoma 4x4. I'm an active member of TTORA (Toyota Territory Off-Roader's Association www.TTORA.com ) My Taco has an IFS front suspension, which is less capable than a solid axle on leaf springs, but I'm willing to spend thousands of dollars on an adjustable coilover system, even though the IFS has it's limitations. A guy with a Jeep will spend alot less to lift his rig, and may get a more capable rig out of it, but I love my Taco. I'll eventually replace the suspension with a Solid Axle Swap (SAS), which will cost thousands, but not return much on my investment resale-wise, but I don't care because I wanna get the most out of my rig that I possibly can with the best suspension, the best armor, stout lockers, and the best set-up I can get for it. It may not crawl rocks like a Jeep CJ, but unlike the Jeepers, at least I feel more confident that I'll be driving my Toyota back home at the end of the day.
Sometimes, it's just about the challenge of how much you can get out of an inherently less capable system.

post #36 of 89 Old 10-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob919 View Post
If you love the bike,
i stopped listening right there, if u'r gonna get all emotionally attached...who knows where the spending will stop ?!?!?!

btw, when i said 'fat american asses'...i was of course referring to my own

post #37 of 89 Old 10-12-2006, 07:59 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
& mine!

post #38 of 89 Old 10-12-2006, 08:42 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
OK... I was working hard all damn day making money so I can buy more crap for my 9er, so I just barely got to read the novel what is this thread. JEBUS people.. talk about getting carried away. (by "people" I mean RD )

I too am a fat a$$ American. For this reason I too installed the 1kg Racetech springs (which took effing 8 months to get thanks to a dam in China.. another story.) I guessed on the spacers during the install by simply measuring the uncompressed OEM springs + the OEM spacers and then cut the new spacers to make the 1kg springs the same height. I probably messed it all to hell but I will say that the bike certainly feels more stable under me and certainly gives me more confidence. I will go back and get the sag perfect I think... good winter project. Anyway, I was seriously prepared to drop the cash on the Ohlins or similar out back on the niner.. but you all have seriously made me question the benefits. I can't say I have felt a need to re-spring the rear while riding, as I am just not at that level of corner carving to know when it is wrong. I just assumed because my girth is shy of 3 bucks that I needed to re-spring just to get it closer to that "sweet spot" to be safe.

So now what?

Before you commit an answer that has anything to do with cost, know this. 1) I would fund an Ohlins rear shock with proceeds from eBay auctions only. I still have parts left from my previous hobby which should cover those costs.
2) I have saved all my stock parts from the 9er. if I ever sell her.. she is going as a stock 9er. The extra goodies will be auctioned as separate items. I have noticed where stock parts go for mere pennies on the dollar, the trick sh!t gets like 60% or higher of its new value provided it's not trashed. Example: stock OEM cans with all the shields.. worth $1300+ new.. fetches maybe $150 at best. Sato slip-ons.. new is $700.. used but in good shape.. get $500 easy. Anyway.. that's my plan if I ever sell.

Again, I ask.. now what? to Ohlins or not to Ohlins?

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #39 of 89 Old 10-12-2006, 08:59 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

If you weigh close to 300 lbs the stock shock is actually pretty damn close to what you need as it is sprung to accept the weight of 2 riders up to & aroundf 360lbs I believe. It will actually handle better overall for your weight than an average solo rider...

I loved hauling my wife around as the bike had much better manners with both of us than just me... Then again I always rode with a little more reserve than I did when I was by myself.

post #40 of 89 Old 10-12-2006, 10:23 PM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
i stopped listening right there, if u'r gonna get all emotionally attached...who knows where the spending will stop ?!?!?!

OK....If you really, really, really like your bike......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode