919 Storage and Helmet Locks - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 08-29-2008, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

919 Storage and Helmet Locks

Hey guys,

I recently bought a 2003 919 and have a couple of questions.

1. I find the stock helmet lock to be cumbersome at best and was curious if anyone had any ideas to make it more user-friendly or if there are aftermarket helmet locks that can be bolted on somewhere and keyed with the same factory key as the bike. I figured someone had a device that would bolt on under the rear grab bar.

2. I'm looking for a good storage solution for the rear seat. I ride to work almost every day, but hate wearing a backpack. With only 2 hooks it seems that the ever-popular 6-hook cargo net is out. Do they make a good 2-hook net?

Thanks,

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-29-2008, 10:04 AM
I Love Parallel Twins

Chris, I just use a cable lock to secure my Shoei and jacket, running the cable through the sleeve of the jacket and through the helmets shield to the grab bar when I leave it in the parking lot.
I hate always having people ask me if wearing that jacket is hot when it's 90 degrees outside so I've gone to locking them both up to the bike. I know birds could crap and people might spit or spill liquid on it but this is the way I do it. I also have a magnetic tank bag to carry the lock, backpack, and my cap for the helmet hair situation.
Hope it helps and congrats on your 9er!

JDubya
Harleyville, South Carolina
USA
post #3 of 19 Old 08-29-2008, 10:14 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

[QUOTE=cmurphy84;230031]Hey guys,

I recently bought a 2003 919 and have a couple of questions.

1. I find the stock helmet lock to be cumbersome at best and was curious if anyone had any ideas to make it more user-friendly or if there are aftermarket helmet locks that can be bolted on somewhere and keyed with the same factory key as the bike. I figured someone had a device that would bolt on under the rear grab bar.[QUOTE]

As NAKED/SS said the cable lock is a nice option. Allows you to leave the bulk of your gear with the bike.

[QUOTE]2. I'm looking for a good storage solution for the rear seat. I ride to work almost every day, but hate wearing a backpack. With only 2 hooks it seems that the ever-popular 6-hook cargo net is out. Do they make a good 2-hook net?[QUOTE]

If you can find yourself a '04 or newer seat it has two more hooks to use. I found that I could strap my pack to the rear seat using the compression straps on the side of it tight around the hooks. I also ran a strap under the seat as a little insurance if something came undone.

Welcome!

post #4 of 19 Old 08-29-2008, 10:51 AM
Mc 9er

yea,honda could've come up with a better design for this one. that is a pretty common question for all new 9er owners cmurphy.
i also use a tank bag when i'm going any distance.if i'm just out runnin around,i keep a small padlock in my pocket to put through the helmet d rings and attach it to somthing on the bike,instead of luggin it around the store.
also in the tool kit under the seat,theres a little cable that they give you that you can run through the d rings and attach under the seat.
as for back pack,like i said,i use a tank bag(eifel, by fieldsheer) an i have no problems. my 04 has 4 hooks under the seat and i used to bungee cord my pack to them,i just never felt really comfortable doing so, figured i had enough to pay attention to on the road without having to be concerned if me bag was still ok back there. hope this helps an welcome to the site

c 9er
silver,the fasted colour
post #5 of 19 Old 08-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

http://www.lockitt.com/accessories_h...rs.htm#kewlock

I have been looking at some things on this site. They have some that replace your barends as well as some that clamp onto the frame.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #6 of 19 Old 08-29-2008, 02:51 PM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

good stuff there ^^^^^

post #7 of 19 Old 08-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 

For a helmet lock, I got one of these; it installs behind the license plate, and keeps the helmet relatively safe and on the bike.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/3864

post #8 of 19 Old 08-29-2008, 07:18 PM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I use a gun lock for my helmet (the kind that has about a 10" cable) it sits perfectly next to the tool kit under the seat and you can find them for free.

post #9 of 19 Old 08-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Vintage Honda

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

http://www.dowcopowersports.com/prod...?item=50144-00

I like the Dowco fastrax tail pack. The iserts allow you to change colors on the sides of the pack. The pack is expandable and has an additional bag that straps on to the top. The hangar strips hook under the seat fairing. I need about 5 minutes to get it off and 5 minutes.

post #10 of 19 Old 09-01-2008, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Thanks for all the replies. I like the lockitt website. Surely something on there can work. I would get the barend locks if they came in black (or just scuff and paint them). I always wear my helmet and my wife refuses to ride with me so there is no need to store a helmet while riding.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Does the owner's group ever meet up during the year? Maybe at Deal's Gap or something like that?

post #11 of 19 Old 09-01-2008, 02:19 PM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattf View Post
I use a gun lock for my helmet (the kind that has about a 10" cable) it sits perfectly next to the tool kit under the seat and you can find them for free.
Where are you getting them for free?

Professional
post #12 of 19 Old 09-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Discen

I don't want to sound too stupid, but where is the helmet lock on the 919?!? I have an '02 and have never seen it.

post #13 of 19 Old 09-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Not too swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05superblackz View Post
I don't want to sound too stupid, but where is the helmet lock on the 919?!? I have an '02 and have never seen it.
Don't feel bad, I've had an 03 for 3 years and also did not know there was a helmet lock until this thread. I'd like to know where too.

2003 Honda 919, Carbon Sato's, PCIII-USB planned asphalt gray
2007 Majestic Blue NISMO KC, 4x4, 6-speed, Gibson catback, Clarion DUZ385SAT
2007 Trek EX8-Custom parts build by me for me
1992 Nissan 240sx- SR20DET swap, HKS intake, exhaust, and SSQV, VLSD, S14 Silvia JDM seats(super comfy), Exedy clutch
post #14 of 19 Old 09-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Tirone is the Cool Dude

919 helmet "lock"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec7 View Post
Don't feel bad, I've had an 03 for 3 years and also did not know there was a helmet lock until this thread. I'd like to know where too.
et al...

The 919 comes with a wire with loops on both ends that you loop thru the "d" ring on your helmet and hook to an "angled pin/hook" under the seat just behind/under the gas tank.

post #15 of 19 Old 09-01-2008, 04:09 PM
Not too swift

aha, now thinking about it that makes sense. I've always been used to the old click bolt locks in the past , so when I did not see one I figured there was not one built in. It would also help if I had an owners manual, but thats kinda what this site is in replacement of so....

2003 Honda 919, Carbon Sato's, PCIII-USB planned asphalt gray
2007 Majestic Blue NISMO KC, 4x4, 6-speed, Gibson catback, Clarion DUZ385SAT
2007 Trek EX8-Custom parts build by me for me
1992 Nissan 240sx- SR20DET swap, HKS intake, exhaust, and SSQV, VLSD, S14 Silvia JDM seats(super comfy), Exedy clutch
post #16 of 19 Old 09-01-2008, 04:29 PM
919>food>beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeenracer View Post
your local police station should hand them out for free

post #17 of 19 Old 09-01-2008, 07:48 PM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeenracer View Post
many new guns come with them

You can usually get them from the police/sheriff departments as Jeef mentioned.

post #18 of 19 Old 09-02-2008, 01:10 PM
Shoot to stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattf View Post

Only good use I've ever heard of for a gun lock.

2003 Honda 919 - flapper mod, Clear Alternatives Smoke Tailight w/ integral turn signals, Stebel Nautilus air horn, DIY fender eliminator, LED license plate bolts, LED front turn signals, no resistor or new flasher so I blink like crazy.
post #19 of 19 Old 09-03-2008, 02:25 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I've got a short (4' maybe?) cable lock with a 4 digit combination. I use it to lock the helmet to the bike, usually at the handlebars. I can even squeeze the sleeve of a jacket through there if I need to. Got it at a bicycle shop.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode