919 steering stem question - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 06-07-2006, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Me, thas who.

Awards Showcase
BOTM 
Total Awards: 1

919 steering stem question

Hey All.

I would like to know if anyone out there knows if the steering stem on the stock 919 triples can be "pressed" out. Basically, I want to use the same steering stem in another set of triples. I am sure there will be some custom machining, I am just trying to minimize that.

Any thoughts?

TIA

*Disclaimer* I know that adding USD forks to a 919 will not help and may even hinder handling, but I don't care, it's going to look damn good. If Honda won't do it for me, I'll do it myself

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-07-2006, 05:30 PM
Removed User 1

I cant answer you question but I am ordering these bad boys from a company in Italy.
http://www.styleandperformance.it/

post #3 of 10 Old 06-07-2006, 06:02 PM

Well I suppose first we need to know why you're pressing it out? You want to put USD forks on? Maybe some net research on the subject would pay off?

What triples are you planning on using?

post #4 of 10 Old 06-07-2006, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Me, thas who.

Awards Showcase
BOTM 

Anthonyresto, what are you ordering exactly? The whole front end, or just the triples in that picture?

Basically, I am going to get a really good deal on a complete ZX12R frontend. I'd like to take the one piece that won't work from the ZX12R setup, the steering stem, and if at all possible, press it out and put the stem from my stock triples into the triples from the ZX12R.

I don't have the measurements for the ZX12R stem yet. If it's long enough I suppose I could just find some bearings that fit within my head tube and around my stem, too and that might work.

I've done quite a bit of research on the net. There are a million ways to get there, I am looking for the path that will take the least amount of custom (expensive) work. And besides, this *is* net research

I guess part of my problem is I may be trying to force the ZX12 frontend, but I like it because they're fully adjustable, built for a heavier bike, and long enough.

post #5 of 10 Old 06-07-2006, 10:05 PM
Removed User 1

Anthonyresto, what are you ordering exactly? The whole front end, or just the triples in that picture?

Just the fork and triple clamp for now.

post #6 of 10 Old 06-07-2006, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Me, thas who.

Awards Showcase
BOTM 

Anthonyresto,

You are buying an Ohlins fork? Lucky! When that is installed, you must post pics of that for people to drool over.

Do you have a link or data or info on the triple you are ordering from style and performance? I am very interested in that... Their website has minimal info, did you happen to find it on there?

post #7 of 10 Old 06-07-2006, 11:50 PM

I won't say it won't work, because I know anything can be made to work, but...

long shot, at best, that the 919 and 12r stems will be the same diameter at the lower triple

longer shot that bearings line up vertically - my guess is the stem will have to be custom built

just a friendly reminder that if you really want to do a USD fork mod, the sp1 rc51 uses nearly the same hardware, including the same stem dimensions, and is fully adjustable, built for a heavier bike, and long enough.

post #8 of 10 Old 06-10-2006, 08:27 AM
Cornicen

stem

if you can even separate a stem from a lower clamp you're good, if you can then reuse the same your not from here.

post #9 of 10 Old 06-10-2006, 10:55 AM

hopefully i'm not the only one to whom that made no ****ing sense whatsoever

post #10 of 10 Old 06-10-2006, 02:55 PM
Removed User 1

You can call, but it's better that you speak Italian if you do.
Or you can email for a price. [email protected]

KBH.H9.WP/A For HONDA HORNET 900 WP-OHLINS forks , in magneium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode