919 steering damper - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 25 Old 08-28-2006, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

919 steering damper

Just got done searching through the threads and posts. People have touched on the subject, but that was it. I have been looking for a steering damper, but I am not sure what to get. Anyone have any recomendations, good or bad experiences¿

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 08-28-2006, 08:37 PM
TrackXperience Pusher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkace625 View Post
Just got done searching through the threads and posts. People have touched on the subject, but that was it. I have been looking for a steering damper, but I am not sure what to get. Anyone have any recomendations, good or bad experiences¿
why would you need one? the 919 is one the most stable bikes...
sorry I have no input as to which one to get, never had a need for one...

post #3 of 25 Old 08-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

toby makes a side mounted unit

matris makes a top mount unit for the 919 / hornet 900
Note: Matris no longer imported to U.S., so good luck finding one

hyperpro makes one that might work, shown here for the 599
http://www.exoticsportbike.com/cb-59...et)_(2003).htm

having said all that, imho, don't get one, if you ride and think you need one, you'll likely benefit more from being less heavy handed on the bars because exaggerated input is about the only thing that could possible create any kind of 'issue' on the 9r

of course, to each his own...if it floats your boat, do it, just expect to spend $400-$500

post #4 of 25 Old 11-22-2007, 03:39 PM

As this guy i ran trough whole threads about steering dampers on 919... I've experienced a first hand incident of tank slapper and i highly thinking to have one as my first mod on my 919...

You are so right about 919 being so stable but you have not seen our roads in Turkey...Almost all roads and highways have bumps even they don't have the lane seperator lines are so over painted and thick that they are bumps on their own...

If you have any new information for an international or at least recomended steering damper brands or distributors which can be trusted (if with pictures i would appriciate highly) please inform me about them here...

Thanks in advance...

post #5 of 25 Old 11-22-2007, 04:15 PM

In addition i've come across these guys...

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...9--606247.html

post #6 of 25 Old 11-22-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangermania View Post
In addition i've come across these guys...

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...9--606247.html

Well, if your gonna get one, that would be the one I'd get.
Plus they are universal for other bikes when used with the correct mounting kit incase you decide to sell it later.

post #7 of 25 Old 11-22-2007, 09:57 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

matris top mount, not diggin the side mounts

the toby has some high marks complements of our friend in the phillipines, plenty of rough roads there

unexpected 12"+ deep holes or major bumps at speed can cause all kinds of problems no matter where you are, tankslappers, supermans...

post #8 of 25 Old 11-22-2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog View Post
matris top mount, not diggin the side mounts
Well there is actually a dealer here which sells Matris Dampers... I've left my contact and the part code for the damper and waiting for them to return to me...I doubt that would be any cheap but if "Matris is best for 919" is a common sense then price is no problem...

post #9 of 25 Old 11-23-2007, 08:49 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

i've heard of 'issues' w/ scotts units in the past but that was a couple years ago, not sure how they stack up against gpr or the like, maybe some of our racer-types could comment

i have a stick type (like toby or ohlins) on my gsxr and have only ever been able to unsettle it once and that was due to poor body position (too far forward in the seat) resulting on heavy hands to the front end, if not for the damper it would have likely been tankslapper city for me (as it happens i was taken out one session later by a newb but i digress)

i expect matris to top the $500 scotts option in price and i expect they both have hi-speed low-speed adj (check that, it matters)...also i would expect the 919 to benefit from moderate to light damping under normal use but hitting bumps and holes in the urban combat zone will require some trial and error (the error part sux)

be disciplined on input control, think about how to handle a bad situation prior to arriving at one, don't overreact, learn the environmental signs for bad road conditions, in short, max out what you can do as the rider/pilot prior to leveraging technology which would make many complacent and overconfident - never a ranger mind you, but mere mortals...yes<g>

post #10 of 25 Old 11-23-2007, 03:14 PM

ratdog... I get you completely...Combined ABS brake systems,steering dampers,tilt sensors, high technology tires... they are all nice add-ons to safety drivng...

And they can make a new beginner feel like master to every thing... But any rider above some experience should know that he/she must act like non of them exists and think them like a back-up system...

So i want this mod just for extra caution...As i said to a pigeon (which crashed and bounced on my fazer's windshield to go right past my head)

"Afterall bike riding is expecting the unexpected"...

post #11 of 25 Old 11-24-2007, 06:52 PM
necked 919

I got this steering damper at the 2005 USGP at Laguna Seca from a distributor out of San Fransisco.
The damper is made by an Italian company called Bitubo and it is made of carbon fiber...

I looked on thier webside and they show a picture of the hornet application and this write up:

Side steering damper Kit (frame to fork), dedicated to some motorbikes models.
The technical characteristics remain unchanged: compensation chamber pressurized with Nitrogen gas (Exclusively patented up to 1992) for better efficiency, with an 18 click adjuster for a perfect setting

The body in Ergal 7075 is worked from a single block and is noticably light weight in comparison to previous versions. Anodized body finish offered in 2 colours: A1 Red – A4 Grey

(in photo: Side Kit on Honda Hornet)

so far the damper has been great for me as i use it on the higher settings for long distance touring and on the lower setting for my trackdays or commuting. Have fun shopping and here is the website: http://www.bitubo.com/

Rj - WQEU774
Team Drumstick
Hondas: 919Hornet - 750NightHawk - CR250R - TRX400EX - TRX250EX wife's quad
Bultaco Metisse 250 project
BMW K1200GT

post #12 of 25 Old 11-24-2007, 08:05 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

the scotts site shows the kit at $350+ (not sure how that matches kneedrag w/ the kit at $120 + $450 for the damper)

the scotts site also shows the mount kit for the 02 919 requires "minor welding" and from 03 on...no welding????

biturbo is a well known brand from the other side of the pond

rayrobb...y u takin a street bike to the track?? <g>

...u use the higher setting for 'touring' / highway use? how many clicks u talkin, different from your 'lower' setting?? thx

post #13 of 25 Old 11-24-2007, 11:11 PM
necked 919

Quote:
rayrobb...y u takin a street bike to the track??
yep... just for fun, don'tcha know
Quote:
...u use the higher setting for 'touring' / highway use? how many clicks u talkin, different from your 'lower' setting?? thx
Low setting = 3clicks, High setting = >10 clicks

Rj - WQEU774
Team Drumstick
Hondas: 919Hornet - 750NightHawk - CR250R - TRX400EX - TRX250EX wife's quad
Bultaco Metisse 250 project
BMW K1200GT

post #14 of 25 Old 11-24-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
the scotts site shows the kit at $350+ (not sure how that matches kneedrag w/ the kit at $120 + $450 for the damper)

the scotts site also shows the mount kit for the 02 919 requires "minor welding" and from 03 on...no welding????

biturbo is a well known brand from the other side of the pond

rayrobb...y u takin a street bike to the track?? <g>

I was also confused by the kneedrag damper price so i e-mailed them it seems the part with 450$ price includes the 120$ one so it is only 450$. Given their different style 100$ difference is understandable...

But I am still confused by the welding 'cause I am after a mod which I could pass on to my future bikes...

On the other hand there is an on steer type damper

Which says:

The Steering Damper Kit is complete with fixtures ready for mounting to all motorcycles where not fitted as standard or for removal to a better and/or more accessible position...

...Available in different versions for "lateral" or "above-tank" mounting, depending on the motorcycle model. The Racing Version is only for mounting on Racing Bike, without front head lamps

Well I would say accessibility is very important... But still not sure to go for which type...Also when you type Honda / Hornet / 2004 to "search model" engine on this site it recommends steering kit for cb900...

post #15 of 25 Old 12-03-2007, 09:38 AM

Hi... Today i finished the whole steering damper search and got my damper installed...

As most of the damper are too expensive for my standarts i needed a cheaper solution... After searching the net and local suppliers i've found out the oem dampers for old GSXR bikes (up to year 98) and found a site where a member installed these dampers on his 919...

Here is the site and my 919 after last modifications...
http://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...ng-damper.html

Forgive me about the dirt it was a rainy day...

post #16 of 25 Old 12-04-2007, 04:30 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

A neat install thanks.

[
post #17 of 25 Old 12-05-2007, 06:57 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

oh crap...pretty sure i have an xtra damper for my gsxr600 in the shop, aw man, i do NOT need anything else to do this month

post #18 of 25 Old 12-05-2007, 07:20 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
oh crap...pretty sure i have an xtra damper for my gsxr600 in the shop, aw man, i do NOT need anything else to do this month
When is the last time your 919 had a head shake with a good front tire?

post #19 of 25 Old 12-05-2007, 07:40 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangermania View Post
Hi... Today i finished the whole steering damper search and got my damper installed...
I really like how that damper is attached lower on the fork where it's needed.
However you should attach a safety cap to the rod's end or risk getting a skewered during an accident.

post #20 of 25 Old 12-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 

i'm not an expert on dampers or anything, but i know that all the folks at the track usually replace the stock dampers on race bikes before they'll get on the track. I've heard the GSXR stock ones are not all that great. If you're using an old one (OEM or after market) the very least you should do is have it serviced with fresh oil and seals or it ain't gonna do much for you when you need it to work.

post #21 of 25 Old 12-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

And wash that poor bike already, Geezzzzzzz.

post #22 of 25 Old 12-07-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8ghtjacket View Post
And wash that poor bike already, Geezzzzzzz.
Washed it juuuust for you...

Some answers for your concerns...

First reactions for most onlookers are about the rod and getting skewered...But in my opinion the ones attached on handle bars carry greater risk on that subject and i can't figure a way to put some tap...

I've ran trhough whole GSXR forums before deciding to try this and every body says the factory out damper is nice but it comes with 2W oil inside which is so thin and needs to change with 10W... But it is so easy to change oil on this part... You just release the allien screw off pour the oil out and put back the new while pushing forward and back to get all air out and you are ready to go... After promptly doing early wheelie touchdowns and corners on rough pavement i am convinced it works great and does not bother me on rush hours... Also since i am not in to track racing there is no need to pay
400 $

post #23 of 25 Old 12-13-2007, 11:22 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfooey View Post
why would you need one? the 919 is one the most stable bikes...
sorry I have no input as to which one to get, never had a need for one...
Thanks, you just answered my second question . So there is no need for a fork brace as well? My friends here all put them on their ST1300's cause it was the thing to do I reckon. I don't have one on mine nor have I ever wished for one, it rides fine all the time.

post #24 of 25 Old 12-13-2007, 11:28 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Jayfooey out for a little fun. No fork brace no damper!

post #25 of 25 Old 12-13-2007, 11:34 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Great, took it for a pretty good ride sunday and it never did anything undesireable with me, I'm lovin it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode