919 starting Issues - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 10-15-2010, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

919 starting Issues

My 919 has developed a starting issue where by sometimes when I turn the key the bike will not do it's fuel pump prime operation (I think that's what it does) but the dash will still do it's startup preceedure (lights on, speedo on, dash lights on) and the bike will not kick over the starter motor when I hit the button. It seems to do it sometimes and will not do it others and as far as I can tell I am making no change to the bike at all. The bike will start & run normally if the pump primes it's self. Does anyone have any idea of what I should be looking at? dodgy fuel pump, HISS system immobilizing the bike (I may have magnitised my key and dropped it a few times), water in the electrical system (it has rained for the past 2 weeks here).

I do 500km a week on the bike to get to and from work and don't really want it off the road for too long.

Im getting a new key cut and programmed this week, should I just get the shop to check what/if there is a problem with there ecu encoder thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-16-2010, 01:06 AM
Discen

sounds very much like a hiss system problem, do you have a spare key to try.
When i lost my keys and was trying to find a solution this was the problem i always had.
If the shop is checking it over keep an eye on them that they just dont start replacing bits, as iot can get very exy.
If it was the fuel pump i believe the bike would still turn over..
dont know about water in the system, odd that it would take out the pump and the starter that would be unlucky.
The hiss has the key, a reader around the barrel and the ecu, so it could be one of them.
I think if it was the key it would work or not, not just sometimes.
Thats al i can offer.
good luck.
dave

post #3 of 12 Old 10-16-2010, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks for your input Dave.

I don't have a spare key, that's why I am getting one cut. They quoted me $1800 for new ECU and key etc if I lost the one and only key I have so I am just going to pay the $150 to get a spare. I'll ask if they can turn off the HISS system alltogether, I have insurance, if it gets stolen, i'll get a new bike.

post #4 of 12 Old 10-16-2010, 05:24 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Not kicking over the starter motor makes me want to check the battery first. If it has a sight level, see if the fluid is low. If it is, and the battery is old, it's toast.

Glad to have you aboard, ASH.

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #5 of 12 Old 10-16-2010, 05:39 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Check the kill switch, if the switch is off the guages will cycle but the fuel pump will not prime. Since you'e had rain, maybe you need a shot of WD40 in there on the contacts. Try cycling the switch on/off several times, this may clean the contacts a little.

post #6 of 12 Old 10-16-2010, 05:40 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
Check the kill switch, if the switch is off the guages will cycle but the fuel pump will not prime. Since you'e had rain, maybe you need a shot of WD40 in there on the contacts. Try cycling the switch on/off several times, this may clean the contacts a little.
Agreed. Not sure how HISS may change things in the wiring but I would try cycling the kill when that happens.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #7 of 12 Old 10-16-2010, 09:00 AM
Cornicen

yes check for wet kill switch first
i gonna run out and check battery
acid level you never know

post #8 of 12 Old 10-16-2010, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I replaced the battery about a month ago. I hope it hasn't died.

post #9 of 12 Old 10-16-2010, 12:24 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

The OEM battery, can't be checked for anything except volts and drop at start up. It's totally sealed, and EXPENSIVE, I know, I just bought a new one.

[
post #10 of 12 Old 10-16-2010, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

It's not OEM battery, they were over double the price of the one I got, $90 vs $240. Mine does have a 2 year warrenty.

post #11 of 12 Old 10-17-2010, 01:00 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

You did good, I didn't buy the oem either. Just telling OLE BigDave it was sealed like a hat band, and can't be serviced. Mine was $75 for a gell.

[
post #12 of 12 Old 10-17-2010, 03:06 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerecord View Post
You did good, I didn't buy the oem either. Just telling OLE BigDave it was sealed like a hat band, and can't be serviced. Mine was $75 for a gell.
Where did you get yours from? I'm not ready for one yet but that's a pretty good price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode