919 Seating Position - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 42 Old 07-11-2007, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy 919 Seating Position

Help! OK, I've tried and tried again, but I just cannot bring myself to like the way my 9'er feels when I'm riding it. I feel like the darn thing is forcing me forward, making me lean on the handlebars with considerable weight, unless I'm at freeway speed - in which case, the wind helps hold me up, but my butt is still sliding forward, jamming my nutz into the tank. My bike is a bone stock '03, AFAIK, and I really don't have any money to put into mods. Is there any way to adjust the ride height on the stock rear shock? Am I just fooling myself into believing I want a naked sport bike rather than a laid-back cruiser? WTF? I pretty much have quit riding this thing because it's just not comfortable, and it wears me out!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 07-11-2007, 08:48 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

How tall are you? Maybe try some bar risers? I would have said an aftermarket seat such as Corbin would help but bar risers would be a much less expensive option.

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #3 of 42 Old 07-11-2007, 08:54 AM
Honda Addict

Yo Vinco! As I am your local 919 homie I'll be glad to check it out with ya and see what we can do with it. The rear shock is adjustable and may need to be set softer. Do you still have my work email addy? If so, shoot me an email and we'll discuss.

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #4 of 42 Old 07-11-2007, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

email sent, Razor.

post #5 of 42 Old 07-11-2007, 05:49 PM
Milites Gregarius

I think a Corbin seat is definately your answer. You could try to find a used one - there was one on E-bay just days ago. Maybe you could even find a used one here, post on the "wanted to buy" section. It would be great if Razor had one that you could try - don't know. I'll bet that you could justify the cost of the seat by riding the bike more and factor the gas savings into paying for the seat.

post #6 of 42 Old 07-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

The original seat is terrible. I hated the petrified butt and the sliding forward.
For me the Corbin was a great solution. Butt for some it is not. Be aware that it does raise the seat about an inch or so and puts you back further.

post #7 of 42 Old 07-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

I had a similar issue.
When I installed a set of Renthal lows, it adjusted my body position more forward & squared it to the seat.
It is more comfortable to ride on than before & I don't seem to slide forward as well.
I can ride about 250 miles before any soreness.

post #8 of 42 Old 07-12-2007, 06:36 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

If you've come off a cruiser, yes it will take a bit to get used to the riding position. I came off of an RR. I went with lower bars, and sometimes, for me, they're still too high.

post #9 of 42 Old 07-12-2007, 06:39 AM
Me, thas who.

Awards Showcase
BOTM 
Total Awards: 1

You could also get your seat reapolstered by Sergeant with some grippier material. They could also flatten out the foam. You can try tank traction pads as well, a much cheaper solution.

post #10 of 42 Old 07-12-2007, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark919 View Post
The original seat is terrible. I hated the petrified butt and the sliding forward.
For me the Corbin was a great solution. Butt for some it is not. Be aware that it does raise the seat about an inch or so and puts you back further.
Back further is exactly what it needs! I'm gonna hook up w/ Razor after I get back from vacation(s), and we're gonna see if we can get this thing more to my liking. My problem is that we live 50 miles apart, so by the time I ride halfway to meet him, I'm going to be already worn out, so I will be less inclined to want to ride more.

post #11 of 42 Old 07-12-2007, 01:39 PM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinco919 View Post
Back further is exactly what it needs! I'm gonna hook up w/ Razor after I get back from vacation(s), and we're gonna see if we can get this thing more to my liking. My problem is that we live 50 miles apart, so by the time I ride halfway to meet him, I'm going to be already worn out, so I will be less inclined to want to ride more.
As soon as I put the Corbin on mine, I was able to go out and ride 300+ mile days. I would still slide forward a little, because I didn't have the Griptex stuff on the top of the seat, but the comfort was definitely there. Also, I sat back farther away from the tank, so I didn't feel so forced into it. I don't know how tall you are, but I am 5'9" and the Corbin seat fit me well. Made all the difference in the world.

-Joe
post #12 of 42 Old 07-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Tirone

I came home from work today and found a large white box on the porch with the word Corbin on side. I was shocked to see it because I did not expect it for at least another week. Anyhow, like I read in another post the Corbin does not wow you with comfort but it is just plain comfortable. I rode for about an hour tonight and I could not believe the difference. The seating position feels better and the reach to the bars feels better. The best part my A** didn't hurt at all. Yes the Corbin is expensive but I am very happy I spent the money and so is my butt.

post #13 of 42 Old 07-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Honda Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinco919 View Post
My problem is that we live 50 miles apart, so by the time I ride halfway to meet him, I'm going to be already worn out, so I will be less inclined to want to ride more.
Oh puhleeeeese!

Somebody call the Wahhhmmmbulance!

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #14 of 42 Old 07-13-2007, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Well, ok, so I'd ride wherever whenever too, if I was tryin' to impress the T&A.

post #15 of 42 Old 07-15-2007, 03:13 PM

Hey Vinco!

I have the exact problem as you. I did buy a Corbin seat and it did help somewhat, but I still feel that I'm moving forward. At first, I didn't think it would do anything since I still slipped forward, but the seat is conforming to my butt and it's at least getting more comfortable to sit on.. while slipping forward! I'm considering raising the bars as some other poster suggested.

Did you work out your seating problem yet???

Mark

post #16 of 42 Old 07-15-2007, 08:47 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 

If you are sliding forward use more throttle.

post #17 of 42 Old 07-17-2007, 10:12 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Seat Vinco

Hey Vinco, I used to live in Sims and Bonnerdale. Next time I come up for a visit,I'll hollow at you.

[
post #18 of 42 Old 04-09-2008, 06:54 PM

Hi
Have same problem and just installed one inch risers.
See bars and turn signal post with pictures.
I am 6 feet tall and bar position is critical. I also ride a bagger and my hands no longer hurt on 919.
Hope this helps
Old man God Bless and watch out for motorcycles

post #19 of 42 Old 04-09-2008, 07:18 PM
Immune

Well, since we're dusting off this old thread, I'll chime in.

I am 6ft even & 160 lbs. I came of a cruiser onto the 9er. My torso is short and my knuckles drag when I walk.

When I bought the 919 I could not keep my crotch off the tank. The bars were uncomfortable and I always felt leaned forward.

I slightly adjusted the bars forward, giving my body a better angle on the seat. In the standard position the seat gives a forward angle. Now my body is almost perpendicular to the seat.

MUCH BETTER. Now that machine is an extension of my body.

post #20 of 42 Old 04-09-2008, 07:45 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

I found on my '02 that there was considerable up and down freeplay at the front of the seat. I used some hard foam and duct tape around the locating tab on the front end of the seat and now it sits about an 1" higher, made a ton of difference. That and tank grip as previously mentioned took care of my sliding forward problem.

post #21 of 42 Old 04-09-2008, 08:12 PM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
I found on my '02 that there was considerable up and down freeplay at the front of the seat. I used some hard foam and duct tape around the locating tab on the front end of the seat and now it sits about an 1" higher, made a ton of difference. That and tank grip as previously mentioned took care of my sliding forward problem.
Ahhh, that's mighty interesting stuff there. I must look into this.

post #22 of 42 Old 04-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Franklin McGillacutty

I LOVE MY 9ER and she is bone stock with a sport shield

post #23 of 42 Old 04-10-2008, 04:59 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000TJ View Post
Ahhh, that's mighty interesting stuff there. I must look into this.
Don't know if all 919's are that way or not, but I could literally take the front of my seat and move it up and down where it meets the tank. Taking off the seat I found that the silver bracket on the tank where the seat tab goes under didn't have any up and down adjustment. The bright idea hit me that if I could shim up the bottom of the tab on the front of the seat that it would sit higher and might improve the seat angle.

I took a chunk of water pipe insulation, you know the round hard foam grey tube type that comes in like 4' pieces, cut off about a 3" chunk, split that in half and then used black duct tape and taped it to the bottom of the seat tab. The black duct tape is slick enough to allow the seat to slide into place, it was very tight at first and I had to modify my piece of foam a couple of times to get the right thickness, but when I had it just right it removed all up and down movement in the seat, as well as significantly raising the front of the seat.

Cost=$0 since I already had the stuff, result=priceless since my butt stays in place now. I also installed Gripster tank grip, which allows me to grip the tank firmly with my legs, and lower Rizoma bars which put my body at a better angle with the seat. I don't have a pic of the seat mod, but hopefully I explained it clearly enough, here's links to the tank grip and bar threads:

Tank grip: https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ster+tank+grip

Rizoma Bars: https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ma+bars&page=4

post #24 of 42 Old 04-10-2008, 05:29 AM
Milites Gregarius

For those of you that have a Corbin seat, how do your lady friends like it in the rear? (Stated as awkwardly as possible) Next I was going to talk about how my girlfriend doesn't like the rear after a several hour ride butt you all see where this is going.

I'll stop now.

post #25 of 42 Old 04-10-2008, 08:12 AM
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
I took a chunk of water pipe insulation, you know the round hard foam grey tube type that comes in like 4' pieces, cut off about a 3" chunk, split that in half and then used black duct tape and taped it to the bottom of the seat tab. The black duct tape is slick enough to allow the seat to slide into place, it was very tight at first and I had to modify my piece of foam a couple of times to get the right thickness, but when I had it just right it removed all up and down movement in the seat, as well as significantly raising the front of the seat.
Ok, here are some pics I took early this morning to illustrate what I'm talking about with the padded seat tab. Pipe insulation is also great for padding in a low ceiling garage, got tired of gashes in my forehead! Last pic is of the Hornets happily sleeping, cold and rainy today, they get to stay inside and I had to go out into the world.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SeatTab1.jpg (378.6 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg SeatTab2.jpg (377.5 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg SeatTab3.jpg (369.8 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg SeatTab4.jpg (358.7 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg PaddedRail.jpg (351.3 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg OpenerPad.jpg (342.4 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg BikesGarage.jpg (363.6 KB, 82 views)

post #26 of 42 Old 04-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Tire abuser

Anyone tried modifying stock seat?

Has anyone tried taking the stock seat from a 919 to an upholstery place and having it re-done? I used to ride a Husaberg 650 Supermoto - we re-did the stock seat with memory foam and widened it, and I did a few 500 km+ days like that. It was pretty cheap for the huge improvement it made - about $100 at a car and boat upholstery place in town. If you are sliding forward, either scoop out more foam to the rear or add some near the tank. A good upholstery place can do this for you in a couple of days and even change the seat cover if yours is shabby.

post #27 of 42 Old 04-10-2008, 11:27 AM
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by prtsimmons View Post
Has anyone tried taking the stock seat from a 919 to an upholstery place and having it re-done? I used to ride a Husaberg 650 Supermoto - we re-did the stock seat with memory foam and widened it, and I did a few 500 km+ days like that. It was pretty cheap for the huge improvement it made - about $100 at a car and boat upholstery place in town. If you are sliding forward, either scoop out more foam to the rear or add some near the tank. A good upholstery place can do this for you in a couple of days and even change the seat cover if yours is shabby.
I sent the 599 seat to Spencer's Seat Mods and had it reshaped, cut down a couple of inches and special foam installed, only cost like $75 and he did an excellent job. We discussed it in another thread somewhere, here's his link: http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

And that's all I have to say about seats, I promise.

post #28 of 42 Old 04-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Unbannable

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotRPI View Post
how do your lady friends like it in the rear?
Oh they love the super sneaky snake!

post #29 of 42 Old 04-10-2008, 07:26 PM
You Better Call Tirone

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I got stocker with the Sargent Seat foam upgrade/cover with griptex. It is really nice. I was able to ride for 4 hours no sore @$$! I think with Sargent you set the seat line level so they put more padding in the front/level out the padding. Oh, and I don't slide forward as much as I did before. .

post #30 of 42 Old 04-10-2008, 08:07 PM

Hey myself as well, same problem. 6' and 190= sliding up. So I took a rubber sanding block and cut it into pieces. with a larger square chuck glued on top of the frame just below the seat tongue and a smaller curved piece up inthe bottom of the seat in that hole with some fancy gafers tape to cover it.

post #31 of 42 Old 04-11-2008, 05:06 AM
Milites Gregarius

Come borrow my RC-51 for an afternoon. The 919 will seem like a couch after that.

post #32 of 42 Old 04-11-2008, 07:06 PM

Before buying a new seat (saddle) you might want to try this.

Before or while breaking flex your legs (hug the tank with your knees) and put weight on the pegs enough to keep you from sliding! This changes allot of the characteristics of handling on bikes (including, sliding forward and crushing you nuts) . .... ... i.e. sliding forward during de-acceleration. The difference between a seat and a saddle is that you "sit in/on a seat". A saddle is used to control the vehicle. (IMHO the 919 has a saddle) Also .... putting weight on the pegs increases handling capabilities! This is easily observed by studying sport, sport touring and naked (standard bikes) and their seating positions. Putting weight on your pegs .. effectively lowers the center of gravity of the vehicle (bike plus rider) and is a big plus in handling. Of course ... all this is subject to variables such as rider weight, ergos and comfort desired.

Be safe!

post #33 of 42 Old 04-12-2008, 01:14 AM
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown View Post
Before buying a new seat (saddle) you might want to try this.

Before or while breaking flex your legs (hug the tank with your knees) and put weight on the pegs enough to keep you from sliding! This changes allot of the characteristics of handling on bikes (including, sliding forward and crushing you nuts) . .... ... i.e. sliding forward during de-acceleration. The difference between a seat and a saddle is that you "sit in/on a seat". A saddle is used to control the vehicle. (IMHO the 919 has a saddle) Also .... putting weight on the pegs increases handling capabilities! This is easily observed by studying sport, sport touring and naked (standard bikes) and their seating positions. Putting weight on your pegs .. effectively lowers the center of gravity of the vehicle (bike plus rider) and is a big plus in handling. Of course ... all this is subject to variables such as rider weight, ergos and comfort desired.

Be safe!
Tank grip helps greatly with this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tank grip.jpg (349.6 KB, 30 views)

post #34 of 42 Old 04-12-2008, 01:35 AM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
Oh they love the super sneaky snake!
Now that right there's funny yes it is!

post #35 of 42 Old 04-20-2008, 05:53 AM

Seating update

Hi Everyone.
I purchased Motech 1 inch handlebar risers and after riding 100 miles I HAVE REMOVED them.
I have found that rotating bars toward seat, just enough to clear tank, when bars are completely turned for storage is best for me (six feet tall). I rode to breakfast with a group yesterday (60 miles) and the bike felt great.
Anyone who wants to try risers, sent me a E-mail and I will send to you for tryout (you pay postage)
God Bless and watch out for motorcycles
Old Man

post #36 of 42 Old 04-20-2008, 06:42 AM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
Hi Everyone.
I purchased Motech 1 inch handlebar risers and after riding 100 miles I HAVE REMOVED them.
I have found that rotating bars toward seat, just enough to clear tank, when bars are completely turned for storage is best for me (six feet tall). I rode to breakfast with a group yesterday (60 miles) and the bike felt great.
Anyone who wants to try risers, sent me a E-mail and I will send to you for tryout (you pay postage)
God Bless and watch out for motorcycles
Old Man
Hey Old Man I'd like to try those bar risers if you don't mind. I'm going to PM you my address.

Okay sent an email instead.

post #37 of 42 Old 04-20-2008, 06:44 AM
I Love Parallel Twins

Hey Y'all, I gave the foam treatment to the underside seat tab and it made all the difference in the testicle crunch dept. What a difference! It is just what I needed until I can send the seat on to Sargent.
If your having a butt issue, give this solution a try, it's cheap and is easily torn off if you don't like it.
KUDOS to the original poster for this idea!

post #38 of 42 Old 04-20-2008, 07:07 AM
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked/SS View Post
Hey Y'all, I gave the foam treatment to the underside seat tab and it made all the difference in the testicle crunch dept. What a difference! It is just what I needed until I can send the seat on to Sargent.
If your having a butt issue, give this solution a try, it's cheap and is easily torn off if you don't like it.
KUDOS to the original poster for this idea!
It is a simple solution, I figured it out after I tried a Sargent seat and found it still made me slide forward. Honestly I don't find the stock seat that bad at all now that it sits level from the seat tab mod.

post #39 of 42 Old 04-20-2008, 07:47 AM
speed limits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrmikey View Post
If you are sliding forward use more throttle.

post #40 of 42 Old 09-01-2008, 09:10 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

How about some before & after pics with the seat on the bike? I'm curious how much of a difference it makes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode