919-refuses to start - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 07-06-2007, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Cool 919-refuses to start

Hi all, i use to be an old member here on this website up until i had a car accident. I find myself back in here cause i need some serious help with my 919. I 've had my 919 dormant for about 8 months in my garage, cranked it probably once. ( i know, i know ). Anyways, true enough when i whent to crank it about a week ago...the battery was dead, but i was ready with a new one just in case. Replaced the battery and nothing... /got to the point where the new battery was dying, i hooked up a charger starter so it wouldn't kill my new battery. I tried and tried, nothing. I checked the fuel lines, i checked electric responce to the injectors, checked fuel injection, checked all the electric wiring and fuses, took the spark plugs out cleaned them and still nothing. The choke didnt work either. When out and bought starter fluid; when i spray it to the intake, it temporarily starts, but as soon as it burns the starter fluid it shuts down... I dont even have a clue on what i can due, before taking it to the dealer.../ i'm sure they would get fixed in 15 minutes and charge me an arm and a leg. I also checked all relays, they are all good. I have a power commander on it... checked that too. Plz anyone give me some advice...on what should i do or try. Sincerely, James Farrell

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-07-2007, 12:40 AM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 919dude View Post
Hi all, i use to be an old member here on this website up until i had a car accident. I find myself back in here cause i need some serious help with my 919. I 've had my 919 dormant for about 8 months in my garage, cranked it probably once. ( i know, i know ). Anyways, true enough when i whent to crank it about a week ago...the battery was dead, but i was ready with a new one just in case. Replaced the battery and nothing... /got to the point where the new battery was dying, i hooked up a charger starter so it wouldn't kill my new battery. I tried and tried, nothing. I checked the fuel lines, i checked electric responce to the injectors, checked fuel injection, checked all the electric wiring and fuses, took the spark plugs out cleaned them and still nothing. The choke didnt work either. When out and bought starter fluid; when i spray it to the intake, it temporarily starts, but as soon as it burns the starter fluid it shuts down... I dont even have a clue on what i can due, before taking it to the dealer.../ i'm sure they would get fixed in 15 minutes and charge me an arm and a leg. I also checked all relays, they are all good. I have a power commander on it... checked that too. Plz anyone give me some advice...on what should i do or try. Sincerely, James Farrell
Honestly, the next thing I would do is remove/bypass the power commander. Have had 3 die on my in various ways so it would not surprise me to find another 919 owner with a bunk PC3.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #3 of 13 Old 07-07-2007, 01:16 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I agree. Get rid of the PCIII and eliminate that potential problem.

If it's running on starter fluid, but shuts down once that is burnt, it's not getting gas (sounds like you know that). The next step if removing the PCIII doesn't work is to get as much of the 8 month old gas out that you possibly can. Refill with new gas and retry, hoping you haven't clogged the injectors.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #4 of 13 Old 07-07-2007, 05:06 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

If the starter fluid brings the motor to life, I would suspect the stale rotten gas.
As Jim stated, lets hope it did not clog the injectors.

post #5 of 13 Old 07-07-2007, 05:07 AM
DaveCB919F4

Try listening for the fuel pump at key on. Don't make changes untill your sure there's no options. You can jump power directly to the pump to make sure it works. Replacing the fuel is a good idea and the tank can be pumped dry if you jump power and remove the fuel line from the fuel rail. Good luck.

post #6 of 13 Old 07-07-2007, 09:23 AM
Duckin' for cover..

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Spark or fuel. Try hooking another plug to one of the wires and check for spark. If you have spark, pull a plug right after cranking and check for fuel smell/wet plug. It almost has to be one or the other, you'll at least get a cough out of it. Clogged injectors or fuel filter seems the most likely.

post #7 of 13 Old 07-07-2007, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Let me ask you all, something... i dont wanna sound naive here but i'm loosing it with this problem, LOL. The wire that goes from the Power commander to the battery, does that wire hook up to the positive pole or the negative pole of the battery?

Sheesh im hopping it is not clogged injectors.../cause then it will be a royal pain in the ass.
The fuel pump does work, so no problem there.
i did empty the old gas and put new in...i think that the only thing left to do is do away with the Power Commander and see whats the deal.

post #8 of 13 Old 07-07-2007, 04:57 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

yeah. now hurry up.

post #9 of 13 Old 07-07-2007, 10:24 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Let me ask you all, something... i don't wanna sound naive here but I'm loosing it with this problem, LOL. The wire that goes from the Power commander to the battery, does that wire hook up to the positive pole or the negative pole of the battery?
It's a ground wire. Negative pole of the battery.

post #10 of 13 Old 07-08-2007, 05:41 AM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Is the kill switch on?

2006 919 (Sold)
2011 Cb1000r

"oh no there ain't no rest for the wicked, until we close our eyes for good." - Cage The Elephant
post #11 of 13 Old 07-08-2007, 06:19 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Is there any thing going on with the fuel system indicator at the console?

post #12 of 13 Old 07-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Aquilifer

bet he had his PCIII wrong. i did, once.

post #13 of 13 Old 07-22-2007, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
bet he had his PCIII wrong. i did, once.
Indeed my good friend... I had the ground wire on the positive pole! figured it out about two weeks ago... now i'm rockin rolling again on my P S Y C H O bitch! Pix soon to come....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode