919 rear wheel bearings-- where should I get them from? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 35 Old 06-25-2015, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Garage
919 rear wheel bearings-- where should I get them from?

My bike started eating the right side bearing 100 miles into a 250 mile ride yesterday. I knew they were worn, I'd started noticing a little bit of side-to-side play when I had it up on the centerstand for chain stuff the last few months, but I didn't expect it to get as bad as quickly as it did in one day. With 46k miles on the bike I'm not even really mad, I had plenty of warning and it's my own dang fault that now I have to park the bike until I can get new bearings.

Anyways, my choices seem to be: 1) pop out old bearings, go to local supplier and get a match. 2) Order OEM, at OEM prices. 3) Get a set from All Balls or Pivotworks through the shop I work at, at employee prices.

1 I'm concerned about whether they'll be the same spec as the OEM bearings even if the size is the same. I don't really know how bearings are rated as far as strength goes.

2 is obviously both expensive and slow, but if the consensus is that OEM bearings are the best, I'll deal with it.

3 I haven't heard great things about All Balls, although the fact that I can get the kit for about twenty bucks is a compelling argument. Is Pivotworks better? They'll run me about $55 and that seems like a very large price difference.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 06-25-2015, 03:18 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Boss bearings on eBay, they sell a real nice quality Japanese set for a decent price

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Rea...fd1064&vxp=mtr

Dan
post #3 of 35 Old 06-25-2015, 03:35 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpydog View Post
My bike started eating the right side bearing 100 miles into a 250 mile ride yesterday. I knew they were worn, I'd started noticing a little bit of side-to-side play when I had it up on the centerstand for chain stuff the last few months, but I didn't expect it to get as bad as quickly as it did in one day. With 46k miles on the bike I'm not even really mad, I had plenty of warning and it's my own dang fault that now I have to park the bike until I can get new bearings.

Anyways, my choices seem to be: 1) pop out old bearings, go to local supplier and get a match. 2) Order OEM, at OEM prices. 3) Get a set from All Balls or Pivotworks through the shop I work at, at employee prices.

1 I'm concerned about whether they'll be the same spec as the OEM bearings even if the size is the same. I don't really know how bearings are rated as far as strength goes.

2 is obviously both expensive and slow, but if the consensus is that OEM bearings are the best, I'll deal with it.

3 I haven't heard great things about All Balls, although the fact that I can get the kit for about twenty bucks is a compelling argument. Is Pivotworks better? They'll run me about $55 and that seems like a very large price difference.
Be careful with ebay bearings. A lot of China made fakes out there, they even mark them as real thing...SKF, made in Japan, fake brand name boxes etc. , Google it. Market of fake bearing is huge. I would just pick up a set from any Honda online dealer, partszilla etc.

post #4 of 35 Old 06-25-2015, 03:41 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Local bearing house or industry supply are my choices.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #5 of 35 Old 06-25-2015, 03:44 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

The ones I put in mine all said japan on them

Dan
post #6 of 35 Old 06-25-2015, 04:03 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
The ones I put in mine all said japan on them
they fake markings very well. Hope it's not the case with ones you got. Trusted/listed supplier is the only way to know for sure. Honda and their dealer network is one of them.

Anti-counterfeiting | Stop Fake Bearings World Bearing Association
http://stopfakebearings.com/fake-bearings/
Bogus Bearings Look More Real Than the Real Ones | Electronics Weekly
https://thecounterfeitreport.com/pro.../Bearings.html

post #7 of 35 Old 06-25-2015, 04:08 PM
`

Awards Showcase

BTW, All balls are made in china, just FYI

post #8 of 35 Old 06-25-2015, 04:12 PM
RIDE RED

http://www.bossbearing.com/mobile/Pr...uctCode=SB-230

Direct from their website same price I got them for off eBay

A tip for you if the bearing is totally shelled... Use a dremel to carefully grind most of the way through the outer race then wedge a small chisel between it and the rim the race should break and come out in 2-3 pieces

That is if you don't have a blind hole puller

post #9 of 35 Old 06-25-2015, 04:24 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPYDER View Post
Rear Wheel Bearings and Seals Kit Honda CB900F (919) 2002-2007

Direct from their website same price I got them for off eBay

A tip for you if the bearing is totally shelled... Use a dremel to carefully grind most of the way through the outer race then wedge a small chisel between it and the rim the race should break and come out in 2-3 pieces

That is if you don't have a blind hole puller
I would email them and ask who makes their stuff. Obviously they are not the manufacturer... .

post #10 of 35 Old 06-25-2015, 04:58 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
I would email them and ask who makes their stuff. Obviously they are not the manufacturer... .
+1 on this! Bearing manufacturers are required to show country of origin on the products. Made in China is not ok.

post #11 of 35 Old 06-25-2015, 05:23 PM
Immune

Quote:
BTW, All balls are made in china, just FYI
You sure?

NSK Locations | NSK

GRW Bearings - GRW Bearing Distributor | AST Bearings

My understanding is that Germany still has the highest quality.

post #12 of 35 Old 06-25-2015, 05:26 PM
Immune

For whats it's worth I have always used Allballs, as does a close friend who owns a successful bike shop. Nigher one of us has ever had a problem.

post #13 of 35 Old 06-25-2015, 05:27 PM
Immune

As for the bashing of China, on many instances they have as high if not higher manufacturing standards that Japan, Europe, and the US.

post #14 of 35 Old 06-25-2015, 05:32 PM
RIDE RED

post #15 of 35 Old 06-25-2015, 05:32 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKRMON View Post
You sure?

NSK Locations | NSK

GRW Bearings - GRW Bearing Distributor | AST Bearings

My understanding is that Germany still has the highest quality.
All Balls as a name, OPs question #3. All Balls All Balls Racing

Did you think I was saying all ball bearings are made in china? no no no

post #16 of 35 Old 06-25-2015, 05:34 PM
Immune

Yeah, it read that way. My mistake.

post #17 of 35 Old 06-25-2015, 05:36 PM
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnich77 View Post
As for the bashing of China, on many instances they have as high if not higher manufacturing standards that Japan, Europe, and the US.
As long as you stick with the big names. I believe most of them have plants in China now, with stricter quality control.

post #18 of 35 Old 06-25-2015, 05:38 PM
RIDE RED

If it's any consolation I've got 10k+ on my rear set of Boss bearings with no issues

post #19 of 35 Old 06-25-2015, 05:40 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
sure... that's why SKF, FAG, Timken, koyo etc are still in business with their products priced 10x-20x of china made competition.
Same goes for optics and other high precision parts/tools/equipment.
China does not have that market..................... yet. Freaking watches...... china still can't make them as well: watch cases, watch bands, watch boxes.....Japan movt

post #20 of 35 Old 06-25-2015, 05:51 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
As long as you stick with the big names. I believe most of them have plants in China now, with stricter quality control.
exactly...

post #21 of 35 Old 06-25-2015, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Garage
Quote:
All Balls as a name, OPs question #3. All Balls All Balls Racing

Did you think I was saying all ball bearings are made in china? no no no

Maybe he thought you meant all balls are made in China.

post #22 of 35 Old 06-25-2015, 05:59 PM
Immune

Quote:

Yeppers. People seem to be oblivious if the fact that Chinese manufacturing is growing exponentially in quality and efficiency.

post #23 of 35 Old 06-25-2015, 06:03 PM
Immune

Quote:
sure... that's why SKF, FAG, Timken, koyo etc are still in business with their products priced 10x-20x of china made competition.
Same goes for optics and other high precision parts/tools/equipment.
China does not have that market..................... yet. Freaking watches...... china still can't make them as well: watch cases, watch bands, watch boxes.....Japan movt

I put over 100k on a set of front and rear all Balls bearings on my last bike, just because they are made in China and sell for less money is in no way an implication of lower quality. If you look at much of the technology and items that you consider to be "high quality" much of it is manufactured in China.

Unless the rest of the world modernizes and increases efficiency and quality, China will surpass most of the globe in manufacturing and engineering.

post #24 of 35 Old 06-25-2015, 06:18 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Unless the rest of the world modernizes and increases efficiency and quality, China will surpass most of the globe in manufacturing and engineering.
Until such times (lets hope it won't happen for our kids sake) my bikes/vehicles/machinery will not have Chinese bearings, my wrist will not wear Chinese watches and my rifles will not have Chinese optics

post #25 of 35 Old 06-25-2015, 06:25 PM
Immune

Quote:
Until such times (lets hope it won't happen for our kids sake) my bikes/vehicles/machinery will not have Chinese bearings, my wrist will not wear Chinese watches and my rifles will not have Chinese optics

Oh, I agree completely. Sadly though, we are sitting idly by and allowing it to happen. US manufacturing is stagnant and somewhat in a state of regression.

post #26 of 35 Old 06-25-2015, 06:52 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

There are stock Honda bearings and a cheaper Japanese bearing alternative on Ebay. Check it out. They are one of the top manufacturers of bearings in JP, the name escapes me though. Blue box

Edit, I believe the brand is Koyo. Ebay item 181578731550

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #27 of 35 Old 06-25-2015, 09:58 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Found the Usa listing for much better price and comes with all the seals. Ebay item 360693174372

I bought these before and they're a legit seller out of NC

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #28 of 35 Old 06-26-2015, 02:31 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I went to the local bearing place when mine went out on the 919. Man, those things fit tight. Grease both the bearing and wheel surface.

If it's from China, it's crap. Crap X exponential = crap. Those poor people are about a half a notch above slaves.

post #29 of 35 Old 06-26-2015, 04:55 AM
Tirone

Looks like all has been said on the bearings.

I have just replaced mine, oem both sides.

You might want to consider the seals, my bearings were chewed through as a result of the seal allowing water in. Judging by your picture, that old seal is not going to see anymore service.

post #30 of 35 Old 06-28-2015, 05:28 AM
Milites Gregarius

Hey guys..

Great thread.. Does anyone have the bearing and seal specs for the three bearings as I would like to try to source them out locally ... Thanks all!

post #31 of 35 Old 06-28-2015, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper714 View Post
Looks like all has been said on the bearings.

I have just replaced mine, oem both sides.

You might want to consider the seals, my bearings were chewed through as a result of the seal allowing water in. Judging by your picture, that old seal is not going to see anymore service.
Good call, didn't even think of that (duh). On order from the local Honda dealer, hopefully bearings and seals will get here at the same time.

This stupid bike runs so well I don't even have any other maintenance to do during this downtime. Someone suggested "washing" it but I don't know what that is...

post #32 of 35 Old 06-28-2015, 07:12 PM
LackOfCharismaCanBeFatal

just did mine couple moths ago with all balls,,,,
very happy with the outcome!

lack of charisma can be fatal
post #33 of 35 Old 06-28-2015, 11:26 PM
1991 honda vfr 750 2002 h

I have Oem ones with 17k miles if you are interested

post #34 of 35 Old 06-29-2015, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Garage
So in case anyone was thinking about ordering Koyo or Nachi bearings from Boss Bearings-- I tried placing an order Thursday evening (PST). Should have shipped out Friday as they were listed as available and shipping same business day. After not hearing from them over the weekend I emailed customer service today just before 5pm EST and was told, sorry, they're out of the bearings needed for the 919 kit and have no ETA on when they'll have more. Would've been nice if the product page had been updated. Actually, since the kit is listed as available on their ebay store, I have no fucking idea what's going on there.

Plan B: grumpily getting them from the local bearing supplier.

post #35 of 35 Old 06-30-2015, 07:19 AM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpydog View Post
So in case anyone was thinking about ordering Koyo or Nachi bearings from Boss Bearings-- I tried placing an order Thursday evening (PST). Should have shipped out Friday as they were listed as available and shipping same business day. After not hearing from them over the weekend I emailed customer service today just before 5pm EST and was told, sorry, they're out of the bearings needed for the 919 kit and have no ETA on when they'll have more. Would've been nice if the product page had been updated. Actually, since the kit is listed as available on their ebay store, I have no fucking idea what's going on there.

Plan B: grumpily getting them from the local bearing supplier.
Check monmouthcycles.com under oem Honda parts. One of the cheapest oem part resources I have seen. Not sure what amount qualifies for free shipping. Id order bearings, seals, oem air filter maybe new clutch cable and whatever else oem one needs for maintenance. That's what I normally do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode