919 rear brake loud click when pressed and released fully at low speeds only - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 12-12-2018, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

919 rear brake loud click when pressed and released fully at low speeds only

hi there,

new to wristtwisters here, have a funny issue with my 2007 919 that i can't seem to figure out.

when going slowish (under 15-20 mph), if i fully depress the rear brake (at the point just around or before where i would lock up the rear wheel), i get a loud "click"! ... when i ease off to restore traction, it clicks again, identical to the first.

i can't figure out what this is - AFAIK this bike does not have an ABS system or any kind of traction control.

Has anyone else experienced this or a similar issue on this bike or another?

I just bled the brakes and it still happens.

thanks very much,

Matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-13-2018, 05:22 AM
919 Rider

My rear brake caliper clicks or clunks a bit at low speed. It's sort of floating a bit so can move a little.

post #3 of 9 Old 12-13-2018, 06:04 AM
919 Rider

No, wait there. It's my front brake calipers that clunk a bit. I don't think my rear brake caliper makes much noise at all.

post #4 of 9 Old 12-13-2018, 06:07 AM
919 Rider

Bet my left nut it's your rear wheel bearings.

post #5 of 9 Old 12-13-2018, 04:41 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Foglia View Post
hi there,

new to wristtwisters here, have a funny issue with my 2007 919 that i can't seem to figure out.

when going slowish (under 15-20 mph), if i fully depress the rear brake (at the point just around or before where i would lock up the rear wheel), i get a loud "click"! ... when i ease off to restore traction, it clicks again, identical to the first.

i can't figure out what this is - AFAIK this bike does not have an ABS system or any kind of traction control.

Has anyone else experienced this or a similar issue on this bike or another?

I just bled the brakes and it still happens.

thanks very much,

Matt
Look very close at the bobbins (rivets) that hold the disk on and see if they float a bit. Look at the caliper and see if there's any play, look at the pad and see if they move at all.

Basically something is moving somewhere. Even the attachment from the disk to the wheel could be loose.

If you hear clicking, you have metal to metal contact which means a shinny spot. If you take it off, you can look around for some shinny spot where metal is making contact.

There is one other method. Get a GoPro clone. attach it to the area and record what's going on. The "ice cube" ones are dirt cheap.

post #6 of 9 Old 01-02-2019, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
My rear brake caliper clicks or clunks a bit at low speed. It's sort of floating a bit so can move a little.
Is this by design?

The bike has like 3k miles on it, passed inspection, functionally it seems fine, clicking only happens when totally locking up brakes, then unlocking at low speed.

Thanks for the reply.

post #7 of 9 Old 01-03-2019, 03:06 PM
919 Rider

My bad. It's my front brakes that clunk a little at low speed. Rear is quiet.
Sounds like something is sticking. Could be your pads? Are your rear wheel bearings good?

post #8 of 9 Old 01-03-2019, 03:35 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Well if you are actually locking the rear, I'd say it's the chain. Put the bike in gear, and with the clutch held, roll the bike forward a foot or two. Then quickly let out the clutch (as if you were to accelerate quickly). Does it make the same sound when you release the clutch? That's just the slack being pulled out of the chain. If it is, I'd just check that the chain slack is within spec, and if it is, then there is no problem. When my rear tire is on the limit of traction when braking, it starts to chatter sometimes. Also islandboy, if you feel a clunk at the front end after using the front brakes, (mine was specifically after releasing the brakes) I'd check the head bearings. I used to have a clunk too, until i tightened my bearings up a bit. No more clunk.

post #9 of 9 Old 01-03-2019, 03:53 PM
919 Rider

Thanks Nathan. I'll check out the head bearings. I've actually been wanting to grease those. Never been touched in 15yrs. But I could've swore I can hear a mild clunk from my front brake calipers. Only at low speed.
I'll just have to extensively test them out this afternoon after work!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode