919 Polished Wheels - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 20 Old 01-20-2007, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

919 Polished Wheels

I finally got around to posting a picture of my polished wheels on my 06 919. I did this back a couple of months ago but haven't had time to post until now. It was pretty easy when you got the correct kind of paint remover. The back wheel took foreever using just paint stripper from Advanced Auto Parts. I decided to go to an automotive paint store to get the Aircraft Remover for aluminum and it may have taken 2 hours on the front wheel. I haven't seen this on an 06 red bike yet so I thought I would let you guys see what it looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00548.jpg (248.0 KB, 245 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-20-2007, 05:15 PM
MuscleCar Nut

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Nothing I would have the guts to do.... but looks really nice

Troy
67 Pontiac GTO
2003 Triumph Speedmaster
post #3 of 20 Old 01-20-2007, 06:13 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

Ummm, you are brave. Looks really really good. Think you could post some closer pictures? Please please

post #4 of 20 Old 01-20-2007, 07:04 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67GTONUT View Post
Nothing I would have the guts to do.... but looks really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpson View Post
Ummm, you are brave. Looks really really good. Think you could post some closer pictures? Please please
It's a piece of cake to do. Just take your time and tape it all off real good.

Nice job, looks great!

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #5 of 20 Old 01-20-2007, 07:11 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 

Can you do the entire wheel (spoke and all)? - One big shinny alum rim?

post #6 of 20 Old 01-20-2007, 07:31 PM
Hola Como Estas?

Props man, I want to do this but I need to find a good weekend to do it because she's my commuter. Looks great bro!

post #7 of 20 Old 01-21-2007, 03:53 AM Thread Starter

No, you can only do the the outer edgrd of the rim. There is a ridge about 1 inch from the center of the rim on both side that you can do. That area is rough aluminum. That is why you should tape it off. Believe me because I tried. It is really easy and if you use the Aircraft Remover it doesn't really take long. Once you have the paint stripped you just use an aluminum polish of your choice to get it to a high gloss. I used Mother's Aluminum polish and then just waxed it with car wax.

post #8 of 20 Old 01-21-2007, 07:11 AM

Thump that looks great. Good job man.

post #9 of 20 Old 01-21-2007, 11:41 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thump View Post
I finally got around to posting a picture of my polished wheels on my 06 919. I did this back a couple of months ago but haven't had time to post until now. It was pretty easy when you got the correct kind of paint remover. The back wheel took foreever using just paint stripper from Advanced Auto Parts. I decided to go to an automotive paint store to get the Aircraft Remover for aluminum and it may have taken 2 hours on the front wheel. I haven't seen this on an 06 red bike yet so I thought I would let you guys see what it looks like.
Bling Bling baby!

post #10 of 20 Old 01-21-2007, 04:08 PM
Love Machine

I did my rims a while back. I liked the look. But now that i'm powder coating all of the bike, I'm going to do the rims. I had about 8 hours into getting the paint off of my rims. But it's a good look!!!

Awarble,
07 Honda CBR600RR
My Site
post #11 of 20 Old 01-22-2007, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

Closer Pics

As requested by Simpson, I have added a couple of close ups of the front wheel. It was dark outside this morning when I got home from work at 3:30, so I took them in my garage. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00554.jpg (114.8 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00556.jpg (158.3 KB, 108 views)

post #12 of 20 Old 01-22-2007, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

Opps

Quote:
No, you can only do the the outer edgrd of the rim. There is a ridge about 1 inch from the center of the rim on both side that you can't do. That area is rough aluminum. That is why you should tape it off. Believe me because I tried. It is really easy and if you use the Aircraft Remover it doesn't really take long. Once you have the paint stripped you just use an aluminum polish of your choice to get it to a high gloss. I used Mother's Aluminum polish and then just waxed it with car wax.
I meant to say can't above where I had can. I tried to edit the message but it doesn't allow me to edit a message after I have saved it.

post #13 of 20 Old 01-22-2007, 09:54 AM
Unbannable

Looking good Thump! All those shiny bits look good together.

But, why did you do the rear turn signals but not the front? Wouldn't you want them to match?

post #14 of 20 Old 01-22-2007, 09:58 AM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase

Would have never guessed it would come out that shinny! I'd do it in a heart beat if I could do the entire rim like that.

post #15 of 20 Old 01-22-2007, 11:17 AM
it's a honda, not a bmw

I've thought hard about doing this on my bike, but the timing doesn't work well in WI. I'd be all over doing it now, but I'm not going to mess around with paint stripper in the house in the middle of winter. And by the time it gets warm enough to do outside, I would rather go ride than screw around with the wheels.

Looks hot! Nice work.

post #16 of 20 Old 01-23-2007, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
Looking good Thump! All those shiny bits look good together.

But, why did you do the rear turn signals but not the front? Wouldn't you want them to match?
I have been hoping someone would come out with 3 wire fronts. Looks like I will have to do like everyone else and make 2 wire work.

post #17 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 12:17 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Hey Thump,
I noticed the black mirror mount extenders -where did you get them? I can't find a single after-market mirror that will allow me to see past my elbows, so I went with the CRG barend mirrors, but don't like the way they look (although they work just fine).
thanks,
Mike

post #18 of 20 Old 01-25-2007, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoney View Post
Hey Thump,
I noticed the black mirror mount extenders -where did you get them? I can't find a single after-market mirror that will allow me to see past my elbows, so I went with the CRG barend mirrors, but don't like the way they look (although they work just fine).
thanks,
Mike
these mirrors give a great view

post #19 of 20 Old 01-25-2007, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

Mirror Extenders

MDToney, they are made by SW Motech. I purchased them from here. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/2533/197/ The mirrors are from a 06 599. They give much better view. I too could only see my elbows but now I have a much greater viewing range. I got the mirrors from Ron Ayers for something like $17 each incase your were wondering.

post #20 of 20 Old 01-25-2007, 08:59 AM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendog View Post
these mirrors give a great view
Thanks Kendog - I've actually been considering the Rizoma Dynamic mirrors, but I'm not sure how wide they would be on the bike.

Quote:
MDToney, they are made by SW Motech. I purchased them from here. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/2533/197/ The mirrors are from a 06 599. They give much better view. I too could only see my elbows but now I have a much greater viewing range. I got the mirrors from Ron Ayers for something like $17 each incase your were wondering.
Thanks Thump! This part is exactly what I'm looking for just in case the Rizoma's don't stick out far enough.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode