919 owners, trouble with first gear? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 37 Old 09-17-2006, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

919 owners, trouble with first gear?

While I am posting stuff... Does anyone else have issues with first gear on their bike? I have an 06 I got new in May and I am still having trouble with first gear from a dead stop. Too much throttle, not enough, I can never seem to find the sweet spot. This is my fifth bike and I've never had this much trouble with first gear.

This is really my only complaint about the bike, just wondering if anyone had a solution to this one.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 09-17-2006, 04:54 PM

Either you need to practice more, or else there is a problem with the FI. If you know how to ride, it should not be difficult to start smoothly. Are you easing out the clutch as you start?

post #3 of 37 Old 09-17-2006, 04:56 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

No troubles here.

Maybe the throttle and clutch cables need to be checked for slack?

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #4 of 37 Old 09-17-2006, 04:58 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

What have you tried doing to remedy the problem so far?

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #5 of 37 Old 09-17-2006, 05:54 PM
Honda Addict

Specifically what kind of problem are you having with 1st gear?

Finding it smoothly on downshift when coming to a stop?

Trying to remedy the clunk when grabbing 1st and ready to take off?

Shifting between 1st and second?

Details, bro, we need details!!

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #6 of 37 Old 09-17-2006, 06:03 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote= "I am still having trouble with first gear from a dead stop. Too much throttle, not enough, I can never seem to find the sweet spot. This is my fifth bike and I've never had this much trouble with first gear."

I'd check the free play at the clutch cable,where you'r other bikes as powerful as the 919.The FI can be touchy also "06 so I guess it is stock (gearing wise)

post #7 of 37 Old 09-17-2006, 06:19 PM
Unbannable

If it's an 06 you should run to your dealer before the warrenty is up.

This isn't your first bike so you know what you're doing. The 919 should pull away smoother than any other bike.

post #8 of 37 Old 09-17-2006, 07:06 PM
DropBear 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicksDigScars View Post
.... I am still having trouble with first gear from a dead stop...
Are you talking about selecting first gear, or taking off in first gear?

Have you asked someone else to have a go and see what they think?
Maybe it's just your technique.. Seems unlikely though if you've had other bikes!
But if they were small capacity machines, it may just be that you need to fine tune your clutch technique..
Not giving you a hard time, you understand, just a thought!

As Razorbike said... details.. !

post #9 of 37 Old 09-17-2006, 11:33 PM
Sweepuk

They do clunk sometimes when selecting first at the lights - that's normal. Make sure your tickover speed is not set too high as that does not help matters. If you select first as you come to a stop it slips in. Try releasing the clutch and re-squeezing the lever if it won't go in. Throttle blips on downshifts match the "revs to the road wheels" and allow smoother gear selections too.

LDH will be along in a minute to tell you that you are a complete wanker ....... sorry wrong forum / diff thread (only joking fellas)

post #10 of 37 Old 09-18-2006, 05:18 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweepuk View Post
LDH will be along in a minute to tell you that you are a complete wanker ....... sorry wrong forum / diff thread (only joking fellas)
Uh...don't look now Sweep, but LDH is a moderator for this forum.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #11 of 37 Old 09-18-2006, 06:32 AM
Sweepuk

It's only a bit of fun, I am sure LDH can see that. If you read the thread on the nest you will see I have quite some respect for LDH.

post #12 of 37 Old 09-19-2006, 09:52 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 

LOL either way I moderate on a bunch of boards & am probably the most laid back & lenient of any. I can take it just as well as I dish it out & never abuse my moderator powers for retribution. I simply call a spade a spade & a poser a poser when I see fit.

Back to the topic at hand Sweep's post sums up the details of selecting first gear properly with good detail.

post #13 of 37 Old 04-19-2011, 11:41 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweepuk View Post
They do clunk sometimes when selecting first at the lights - that's normal. Make sure your tickover speed is not set too high as that does not help matters. If you select first as you come to a stop it slips in. Try releasing the clutch and re-squeezing the lever if it won't go in. Throttle blips on downshifts match the "revs to the road wheels" and allow smoother gear selections too.

Question: What is tickover speed and how is it adjusted? I may want to look into it. all 3 919's I've ridden (2 theirs, 1 mine) go into first REALLY HARD. Not always from a stop, but sometimes from a stop. Any bike will though, esp cold. I come from dirt bikes, so I know the first gear knock fairly well, but upon slowing, the 919 is by far the hardest knock to first I've seen. Many bikes will knock hard if going super fast into first, which I understand, blip it in and it won't normally....on other bikes. My 919 and others ive seen all do it 70% of the time. Anyway, speed aside, I can be doing <20 and It will slam in. I've always wondered but this is the first post I've seen about it. A gsxr (sorry guys) will go 2nd->1st at 50+mph with no blip smoother than 1st-->2nd is. I know they are different trannies, but if others aren't slamming 1st gear at relatively low speeds it makes me wonder whats up with my poor 9er.

________
2003 919
post #14 of 37 Old 04-19-2011, 12:08 PM
Seņor Calamares

maybe pull in the clutch fully then ride the clutch just a bit when releasing it?

Also fixing the clutch cable slack(the least amount of slack allowable in the safe operating range) helps tone down the clunk when going into first gear from a stop.

post #15 of 37 Old 04-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Tire abuser

Do you mean you have trouble shifting into first when stopped? I usually let the bike roll backwards 6 inches as I am shifting into first if I am stopped. Seems to eliminate the feeling that you are forcing something in the transmission. I sometimes get a slight 'clunk' when I downshift into first while moving, but not if I blip the throttle as I downshift to match revs.

The 919 transmission is slightly 'clunky' - I can't do clutchless upshifts on the 919 as easily as on other bikes.

post #16 of 37 Old 04-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Papa Bear

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

I had when this same experiance with my 06.
Later found out that it was the oil I was using.
Did you or tha shop do an oil change recently?

post #17 of 37 Old 04-19-2011, 02:35 PM
Tom
Immune

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicksDigScars View Post
While I am posting stuff... Does anyone else have issues with first gear on their bike? I have an 06 I got new in May and I am still having trouble with first gear from a dead stop. Too much throttle, not enough, I can never seem to find the sweet spot. This is my fifth bike and I've never had this much trouble with first gear.

This is really my only complaint about the bike, just wondering if anyone had a solution to this one.

Thanks
I would be confident that after having four previous bikes you know the principles involved and physical actions to take to roll away smoothly from a stop in first gear. The best evidence of that is simply that you know from prior experience that something doesn't seem right now.

Take a careful look and another second look at your clutch and throttle adjustment and idle speed...maybe even turn the idle speed up to the high end of the accepted range...then head for a vacant parking lot and teach the bike how you want it done.

The most obvious variables are simply clutch, throttle, and idle speed at start of roll-on, so the prognosis is very positive.

post #18 of 37 Old 04-19-2011, 05:46 PM
no max no more

i found my 919 when new pulling away from a dead stop a little different from most bikes i had..almost felt like it as geared to high...dont feel like that anymore...then again i came of a bike with 127 lbs tq....thats why i never under stood the 17 tooth deal

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #19 of 37 Old 04-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Gets censored

5 year old thread someone was DIGGIN!

post #20 of 37 Old 04-19-2011, 06:20 PM
Tom
Immune

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 

...poor guy...out there practicing for the past 5 years...the MSF course from hell...

One of these years I will pay attention to dates on posts a little better.

post #21 of 37 Old 04-19-2011, 07:20 PM
Former 919er

Looking at the responses to this five year old bump, I don't think many people noticed the dates...

Danny - post it in a new thread and you will get clear(er) responses. I can't answer your question because I don't really understand what your saying, and I come from dirt bikes too, lol.

post #22 of 37 Old 04-19-2011, 09:31 PM
Le So Cal Troll

rise my precious, RISE FROM THE DEAD!!!!!!

post #23 of 37 Old 04-20-2011, 09:52 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Doesn't matter how old the thread is. If the info has not been superseded then it is still relevant and can easily be resurrected.

I find this much more preferable than someone starting a new thread to ask the same old question.

post #24 of 37 Old 04-20-2011, 10:11 AM
Tirone shoelaces

I have noticed that the transmission can get a bit persnickety when you come to a stop and then downshift towards first gear. The gear you are downshifting into doesn't always catch, and you have to let the clutch out a bit until it goes CLUNK into gear then you are able to shift down another gear.

Of course, no here makes that mistake. We are all downshifting as we decelerate.
Right?

post #25 of 37 Old 04-20-2011, 10:36 AM
Need money for parts.

glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem. I thought it was just me. Changed the oil to see if it helps, but haven't had a chance to ride since due to MN's awesome weather. Puts my mind at a little ease. Was the 900rr that clunky? I thought Honda had the rep for silky transmissions.

post #26 of 37 Old 04-20-2011, 10:38 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganktor View Post
Was the 900rr that clunky? I thought Honda had the rep for silky transmissions.

Yes & not in my lifetime...

post #27 of 37 Old 04-20-2011, 12:05 PM
Former 919er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
Doesn't matter how old the thread is. If the info has not been superseded then it is still relevant and can easily be resurrected.

I find this much more preferable than someone starting a new thread to ask the same old question.
Agreed, but in this case you have someone posting a loosely related question and you can't really tell if people are responding to the 5-year old op question or the bump post. Kinda confusing...

post #28 of 37 Old 04-20-2011, 01:53 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Well, I DO downshift as I decelerate. I was taught that way in a car and it just transferred over to the bike when I started to ride.

However, at lights that I know I will sit for a while cause it just turned red I will pop the bike into neutral and then when I go back into First it has always been a very distinctive CLUNK into gear. I have never had a jerky start unless I popped the clutch a little. I don’t like that clunk though as sometimes it seems like someone is hitting the transmission with a sledge hammer. I just feel like It isn’t good for the bike but nothing has happened to date, knock on wood. I am not sure what oil was used before I bought the bike but I changed to Mobile One motorcycle oil and I think this next change I am going to go for Honda Oil.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #29 of 37 Old 04-20-2011, 02:09 PM
Tirone shoelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
Yes & not in my lifetime...
I had a '95 750 Nighthawk that had a very smooth and much more forgiving transmission than the 919's.

Still, it would CLUNK into first gear after sitting at a long traffic light. I just take it as standard behavior.

post #30 of 37 Old 04-20-2011, 05:25 PM
no max no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTraffic View Post
I have noticed that the transmission can get a bit persnickety when you come to a stop and then downshift towards first gear. The gear you are downshifting into doesn't always catch, and you have to let the clutch out a bit until it goes CLUNK into gear then you are able to shift down another gear.

Of course, no here makes that mistake. We are all downshifting as we decelerate.
Right?
i always give a good blip of throttle while down shifting...dont we all

post #31 of 37 Old 04-20-2011, 06:51 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

nope. i no can blip

post #32 of 37 Old 04-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Former 919er

I love the clunk. I think it sounds cool, indicates a very solid gear engagement and reminds me every time of the CBR race heritage of the motor. At stop lights in traffic it also reminds all the cagers around me that I'm there.

post #33 of 37 Old 04-20-2011, 07:35 PM
Tirone shoelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
It works GREAT when you get it right.
I'm new to the blip and still working on nailing it every time.

post #34 of 37 Old 04-20-2011, 07:58 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
I never blip. It messes up my trailbraking by causing tiny pulses in the braking force as my hand rotates the grip for the blip. Maintaining linear brake pressure to increase my contact patch on the way up to the apex is way more important than rev matching. I can modulate the engine braking per the gear selection via the clutch engagement with my left hand if I have to, but the trailbraking is critical to my riding style and leaves very little room for error.

post #35 of 37 Old 04-20-2011, 07:59 PM
Le So Cal Troll

the reason theres a big clunk after sitting at a stop light is you have had it in neutral with the clutch out for some time... this means all the oil gets pushed out between plates of the clutch and the tranny is spun up with the motor... when you pull in the clutch the plates due to lack of oil between em, kinda stick together, still continuing to spin the already spun up tranny. if you pull in the clutch and let it sit like that in neutral for a good 10 secs, the tranny will finally spin down and you can put it in first without a clunk.

also i do have the same "problem" if im in say a higher gear.. and come to a stop in that gear or to a slow speed and try to down shift without letting the clutch out it just wont go.... theres not enough movement for it to do it... so ill let the clutch out a lil and tap down in gears.

and agreed with ldh on the blip... ill use it if im going in a straight line, but if im carving turns.... no blip the smooth breaking is much more important.

post #36 of 37 Old 04-20-2011, 10:09 PM
Aquilifer

The few times I've done track-days and have done aggresive braking, I would not blip because I couldn't sufficiently separate the blip and my braking forces ( as LDH states above.)

My routine would be to kick the tranny down 1 or 2 gears ( as the corner needed ) and slowly drag the clutch back out to match my speed.

post #37 of 37 Old 04-21-2011, 04:02 PM
no max no more

never road on a track...id love to some day....only blip down shifting threw gears when slowing down like at a red light...under a street race condition or track i can see where that would do no good....im thinking at the track you down shift at the same time giving it more throttle to stay smooth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode