919 Owners BEWARE!!!! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 25 Old 10-09-2007, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Lethal with Whiffle-Bats

919 Owners BEWARE!!!!

I just had a rather odd experience,,, which never happened on my other 919.. BUT is definitely a somewhat major design and engineering flaw...

On the way home.. all of a sudden a nice jet of steamy coolant shot out towards my right leg, and of course all down the side of the bike, at first.. I figured a faulty end-tank on the radiator, or a lucky strike with a rock... so.. with only 7 miles to go, and a bottle of water,, I babied it home... and dismantled it all... Upon removing it.. I found the cause.

The goofy plastic radiator guard (grill/shroud whatever you wanna call it) is made of a high polycarbonate strand based plastic (which is rather strong, but can be abrasive.) The radiator..including the end tanks.. is ALL aluminum... Now normally you would figure plastic would be softer than the aluminum, Not this plastic... the top most "rail" and bottom most "rail" of this grill touch right up to the clamping areas of the end-tanks... and with vibration and all.... left 4 nice grooved cuts... only the lower right one... had cut into the end-tank! so.. a quick roughing up and JB weld patch did the trick for a temp patch for me...

But I urge all of you,, to please pop the plastic grill off, (it's only 4 tabs) and get a good look at the end tanks... also.. remove the little silver side guards (2 allen bolts each side) and get a good look.. This should have been a red-flag as I work with composites, I have to be familiar with the applications of different types, this should have been a no-no! unless honda changed the composition OF the composite used,, this should be a repeat performance!, and may be covered under warranty or defect.. haven't checked yet.
But please.. it only takes a few seconds to look at them,, and if your on a long trip or in the middle of nowhere... it's not gonna be good..

I would suggest using a high temp stable compound (like J-b weld) to sort of make a little "Pad" of sorts where these rails touch the tanks, or even a high silicone rubber bumper pad thing (like those bumpers on cabinet doors) , cut down to protect this area, the Grill hides this area nicely so the aesthetics of this aren't really an issue, the only other thing would be to replace or fabricate a new grill, that does not touch!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 10-10-2007, 03:58 AM
I WANNA RIDE!

Thanks for the caution. I'll check mine out right away. I've only had it for about 600 miles but I don't need this happening.

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #3 of 25 Old 10-10-2007, 04:45 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

I'm not totally convinced there is a design problem. To the best of my knowledge this is the 1st reported problem with the plastic radiator grill. Some 919's are over 100k miles while others have gone on trips to Mexico and Central America. No one has reported this problem.

I see absolutely no wear marks on my 919 radiator. Is it possible your plastic grill was not clipped into place causing excessive vibration? Could you post a few photos that show exactly where you had the rubbing.

post #4 of 25 Old 10-10-2007, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Lethal with Whiffle-Bats

Like i said,,, The other 919 I had,, with over 60k miles,, never had this problem,,, of course I don't ever even think I removed the grill, I'll post some pics of it now,, but I already patched and made pads for where it was wearing, and a pic of the inside of the grill, as you can see the wear marks... as this was how it came from the crate, I wanted to make sure that others would at least check!, as far as the grill not being clipped on,,, it was absolutely clipped on,,, as there are only 2 tabs on the top and bottom,, I doubt the thing would stay in place for very long if it wasn't, and of course,, i did have to pop all 4 tabs... I'll have to dig out the digital camera and get some pics, DOH, I shoulda taken pics before I repaired it,,, 4 nice shiny little grooves on the end tanks... and 4 nice scuffs on the plastic where they make contact...and that would probably have helped to get a new radiator grrrrr

anyway... I still urge everyone to check a preventative measure, as it only takes a few seconds.

post #5 of 25 Old 10-10-2007, 09:49 PM
919 City Pilot

Mine buzz's pretty good.... I'll look in the am. Thx 4 the heads up....

post #6 of 25 Old 10-10-2007, 10:19 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

I urge myself to goto bed, and stop reading these forums so late at night.

post #7 of 25 Old 10-11-2007, 06:06 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

thx 4 the heads up, will take a look...expect to find nothing, but i will look

post #8 of 25 Old 10-11-2007, 06:09 PM
Tirone

Please post up pictures. I'm a heat exchanger engineer, and this type of arrangement (HX and stone guard) is pretty standard. I'd like to see the failure mode.

Currently I'm working on the Buell 1125R cooling system.

Kevin
Plymouth, MI

post #9 of 25 Old 10-11-2007, 06:59 PM
Unbannable

Hey Kevin. Can I get a ride on your 1125? I'll be your best friend!

I'm in White Lake MI. I didn't know Buell did R & D in Michigan.

post #10 of 25 Old 10-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmmuellr View Post
Currently I'm working on the Buell 1125R cooling system.
Kevin
Plymouth, MI
Is something wrong with it? Hasn't this bike been released already?

post #11 of 25 Old 10-12-2007, 05:33 AM
Tirone

Start of production on the 1125R is 10/29 at Buell in East Troy, WI.

There were various cooling issues that have recently been resolved requiring late design changes. We won't be holding up SOP though!

Buell does not have an R&D facility in MI, I'm with a supplier. Unfortunately I haven't ridden the bike yet. I brought my gear out to WI when I visited for the first time three weeks ago, but I didn't have time to get out on a bike.

Kevin

post #12 of 25 Old 04-07-2008, 11:08 AM

hey everybody, i'm a prospective 919 buyer, and i'm woderin'... just how bad is the vibration coming through the bars, anyway?
can you still take long trips without your hands going humb? my last bike was an old honda cbx, and the inline 6 has no vibration, which was just freakin' awesome on long rides.
many thanks,
-ed

post #13 of 25 Old 04-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Optio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed1047 View Post
hey everybody, i'm a prospective 919 buyer, and i'm woderin'... just how bad is the vibration coming through the bars, anyway?
can you still take long trips without your hands going humb? my last bike was an old honda cbx, and the inline 6 has no vibration, which was just freakin' awesome on long rides.
many thanks,
-ed
I still have the stock bars and I personally don't think the vibration is bad at all, for the most part I've never really noticed it. I took one two hundred mile journey last years and my hands were slightly tingly after that.

My new/old 380 two stroke mx bike I can feel the vibes all over the place.

post #14 of 25 Old 04-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Prepare 4 surprise attack

Thanks for the heads up Caleb

Simon
post #15 of 25 Old 04-07-2008, 03:26 PM
Work Hard, Ride Home.

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Speaking of vibration, does anyone else notice a high freq. vibration right at the 6000 rpm mark? That is the only spot in my power-band where I notice an "annoyance".

post #16 of 25 Old 04-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Immune

I've got the renthals and I adapted the stock "heavy" bar ends from my old 6r onto them and I've got no vibes AT ALL!! Just did about 180 miles yesterday and my hands felt like I was resting them on the arms of a sofa, smoooooooooth!

Erik
2005 Honda 919

I've got a lot of places to see! (on the bike) :-)
post #17 of 25 Old 04-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

huh, those fit? from which bike/yr exactly??

thx

post #18 of 25 Old 04-07-2008, 06:55 PM
Immune

Well they didn't 'fit' exactly. They came off my old 06 6r that I used to have, I put even heavier ones on that bike to reduce the vibes, worked but not well. Anyway I had old bar end mirrors lying around so I took the 'inside bar holder inner thingy', sorry dont know the real name, and got longer bolts in the correct size, and tada, heavy bar ends for about $2!

It would work too if you still had the stock bar ends from the oem bars, all you'd need would be the 'inside bar holder inner thingys' to hold them on

Erik
2005 Honda 919

I've got a lot of places to see! (on the bike) :-)
post #19 of 25 Old 04-07-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
I'm not totally convinced there is a design problem. To the best of my knowledge this is the 1st reported problem with the plastic radiator grill.
Agreed. If I read 1/100th the messages about this as I read about "the stink" I would be worried.

Nothing to see here, move along.

post #20 of 25 Old 04-07-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
I'm in White Lake MI. I didn't know Buell did R & D in Michigan.
Considering the lumps that Buell pumps out, I didn't know Buell did R & D at all

J/K - as a Milwaukee guy of course I love Buell. If I ever have 2 bikes, Buell will be #2.

post #21 of 25 Old 04-08-2008, 06:02 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

I could've swore this was old news. Thought I read something on here last year about it. Some have wear and others don't.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #22 of 25 Old 04-08-2008, 04:22 PM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyCatcher View Post
I could've swore this was old news. Thought I read something on here last year about it. Some have wear and others don't.

I guess you didn't notice the date of the 1st post?

post #23 of 25 Old 04-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Aquilifer

everybody struggles with side-mount rad's, huh?

i sure hope "bigger scoops" wasn't Erik's answer !

yeah, a caucasian human botched the radiator on Caleb's bike.
nobody at Honda did.

post #24 of 25 Old 07-20-2013, 12:44 PM
Tirone

I have also developed this problem. Radiator guard has worn through aluminum radiator. Four wear marks, one has worn through. 43k miles on a '05 919. Just a +1

post #25 of 25 Old 07-22-2013, 08:18 AM
Tirone

nice job resurrecting thread ... just bought my bike and am going to check it .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode