919 Overhaul build - Wrist Twisters
 7Likes
  • 5 Post By yogurtclaw
  • 1 Post By yogurtclaw
  • 1 Post By Islandboy

post #1 of 18 Old 02-21-2018, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

919 Overhaul build

After lurking for a couple of months I decided it was finally time to make my efforts on a 919 public, partly to gather advice and encouragement, partly to push myself to get things done.

I've always had an interest in the 919. It seemed to me that Honda got so close to perfecting the classic UJM style with modern amenities but missed by just a little. Then pictures of Honda's 'neo cafe racer' hit the internet and my jaw hit the floor.

I needed it, but I can't afford the probable $13,000+ price tag so I decided to build my own. I'm sure with enough work the 919 bones can get me there. Bought this 2002 919 about a month ago.

Engine seemed great, but the rest of the bike was in bad shape. Felt wonky on the test drive so attributed it to twisted forks (which was true), but that wasn't all that was wrong with it. Bought it for next to nothing, took it home, stripped it down, and this is what I found.

Damn it. Oh well, I've always wanted to build a motorcycle literally from a frame up. Ebay to the rescue!

This is her as she sits now. Ebay frame, cb1000r single sided swingarm and shock, VFR800 rear wheel. I'm doing my research on a front end as I want USD forks, and I have some crazy ideas about a new gas tank. With the SSSA I should be able to keep a low mount exhaust nice and tucked in, so I'm weighing a 900rr system against modifying the stock. Pretty sure at this point all that will remain of the 919 I purchased will be the engine itself and the electronics, might as well call it the 919 of Theseus.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4583.JPG (186.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg honda-neo-cafe-racer-1.jpg (131.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4677.jpg (239.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4679 copy.jpg (203.7 KB, 26 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-21-2018, 03:00 PM
Centurion

Garage
Looking good sir, keep up the detailed posts with tones of pictures. This is something I wanted to do in the past as well so I'm eager to see how your build progresses and see what difficulties you encounter.

I'm thinking for the sake of proper documentation, I'd recommend creating a separate doc (word doc, google doc) and first updating that document, before copy pasting into the forum.
It would go a long way for people reading your thread months/years after it was completed, to get the full document (without the comments).

Just a suggestion :-) looking forward to more content (specifically your front end progress, suspension, light and cluster).

post #3 of 18 Old 02-21-2018, 04:42 PM
919 Rider

Welcome. I like your '919 cafe racer' build. With what your doing you won't be that far off the mark. If you can't buy one, make one. Anyways no one knows what that engine in the new cb1000 is really like. At least you know the 919 engine performs well and is virtually indestructible. And in my opinion its a perfect street bike motor. Loads of torque where you want it and it looks and sounds sexy.
Good luck with it and keep us posted.
By the way the 2002 engines where the best, all went down hill after that! Ha.

post #4 of 18 Old 02-21-2018, 05:02 PM
McTavish

Suggested is extreme care in the USD fork selection, as most are too short by far - way beyond what fork cap extensions can offer.
RC51 forks are said to be the best bet, SP2 more so than SP1 I seem to recollect from other threads here on the website.
As for the related triple clamp sets, I'd expect most to offer more trail by their reduced relative offset.
There might be some that offer less trail, something I would suggest avoiding.
Anyway, very interesting build and good luck with it.

post #5 of 18 Old 02-21-2018, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmin3m View Post
Looking good sir, keep up the detailed posts with tones of pictures. This is something I wanted to do in the past as well so I'm eager to see how your build progresses and see what difficulties you encounter... Looking forward to more content (specifically your front end progress, suspension, light and cluster).
Great idea, I'll get started on that master build document now. I can't promise frequent updates but when I do there will be pictures. I'm thinking of a minimal cluster, single, round headlight with an unobtrusive koso or motogadget dash. We'll see. That'll come much later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Welcome. I like your '919 cafe racer' build. With what your doing you won't be that far off the mark. If you can't buy one, make one. Anyways no one knows what that engine in the new cb1000 is really like. At least you know the 919 engine performs well and is virtually indestructible. And in my opinion its a perfect street bike motor. Loads of torque where you want it and it looks and sounds sexy.
Good luck with it and keep us posted.
By the way the 2002 engines where the best, all went down hill after that! Ha.
Thanks! I'm a fan of Honda's big engines. My usual ride is a 2007 cbr1000rr and the fun I have on it is unreal. That same engine is apparently what they're putting in the new cb1000r so I'm sure it's a thrill. However the objective of this build is as you said "the perfect street bike motor". Something I can daily, sit on as opposed to sit 'in' as with the RR, and throw a girl on the back without stressing.

I was under the impression that all year model engines were the same, what makes the '02 model better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Suggested is extreme care in the USD fork selection, as most are too short by far - way beyond what fork cap extensions can offer.
RC51 forks are said to be the best bet, SP2 more so than SP1 I seem to recollect from other threads here on the website.
As for the related triple clamp sets, I'd expect most to offer more trail by their reduced relative offset.
There might be some that offer less trail, something I would suggest avoiding.
Anyway, very interesting build and good luck with it.
Oh yes. I've spent hours poring over the usd fork threads here and am under no impression that it will be an easy task. Instead of going for RC51 forks I'm considering exotic replacements such as hypermotard/hyperstrada forks which are of adequate length, or even the 800mm Ohlins universal ones. Then the triple from a cb1000r with some work done to it and the 919 stem pressed in.
mcromo44 likes this.

post #6 of 18 Old 02-21-2018, 06:11 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogurtclaw View Post
Oh yes. I've spent hours poring over the usd fork threads here and am under no impression that it will be an easy task. Instead of going for RC51 forks I'm considering exotic replacements such as hypermotard/hyperstrada forks which are of adequate length, or even the 800mm Ohlins universal ones. Then the triple from a cb1000r with some work done to it and the 919 stem pressed in.
Very good idea re other forks to consider and it's the very first time I recollect someone putting it on the table.

Also, I seem to remember the SSSA increases the wheel base a fair bit.
Then consider less triple clamp offset = more trail = front wheel also moved rearward.
IF the SSSA really does increase the wheel base a fair bit, even with more trail at the front, the bike's C of G will be displaced rearward by some amount.
More a point of awareness than anything else, certainly nothing to run away from.

post #7 of 18 Old 02-21-2018, 06:43 PM
919 Rider

Forget my joke about the 02 engine being better. I got one too. The engines are all the same for each year. The casting of the engine block may have even gotten better/cleaner over the years? My 02 block is pretty rough in places.

post #8 of 18 Old 02-22-2018, 03:08 PM
Pilus Posterior

One of the upsides of doing this is that the ins company would still see this as a 919, and depending on what work you do, you could have almost a new bike that performs the way you want.

post #9 of 18 Old 02-22-2018, 04:43 PM
919 Rider

Will you paint the engine while it's out?
ewmin3m likes this.

post #10 of 18 Old 02-27-2018, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Very good idea re other forks to consider and it's the very first time I recollect someone putting it on the table.

Also, I seem to remember the SSSA increases the wheel base a fair bit.
Then consider less triple clamp offset = more trail = front wheel also moved rearward.
IF the SSSA really does increase the wheel base a fair bit, even with more trail at the front, the bike's C of G will be displaced rearward by some amount.
More a point of awareness than anything else, certainly nothing to run away from.
Definitely have an increased wheel base with the sssa. But with if it has a longer wheelbase won't that mean the center of gravity is actually moved forward a bit? Due to the entire bike being longer while the engine stays in the same place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Forget my joke about the 02 engine being better. I got one too. The engines are all the same for each year. The casting of the engine block may have even gotten better/cleaner over the years? My 02 block is pretty rough in places.
Aha, that went right over my head. To be fair even if my block was rougher than usual I wouldn't be able to tell, as the whole thing is basically thrashed. And yes, If I can I'm surely going to paint it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
One of the upsides of doing this is that the ins company would still see this as a 919, and depending on what work you do, you could have almost a new bike that performs the way you want.
That might work against me as well. If it's stolen after I put all this work/energy/money into it, KBB/NADA value isn't a lot.

I'm going to disappear for a little while because another, slightly more pressing project presented itself to me this weekend. I chanced upon the motherlode of 90's Husabergs. Four in total and uncountable spare parts. As soon as they're together they're out of my garage, but at the moment there's no space.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4823 copy.jpg (215.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4822 copy.jpg (161.8 KB, 18 views)

post #11 of 18 Old 02-27-2018, 08:47 PM
Centurion

Wow, where do you get new parts for those things?

post #12 of 18 Old 02-27-2018, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce919er View Post
Wow, where do you get new parts for those things?
Looks like there's one or two UK based guys with NOS parts. Alternately, my garage. Three are complete, one's a parts bike. With the boxes and boxes of spares I think I've just become the largest Husaberg dealer in SoCal.

post #13 of 18 Old 02-27-2018, 10:43 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Definitely have an increased wheel base with the sssa. But with if it has a longer wheelbase won't that mean the center of gravity is actually moved forward a bit? Due to the entire bike being longer while the engine stays in the same place.
Ah, um, yes.
You got me good on that one!

post #14 of 18 Old 03-01-2018, 11:41 AM
Centurion

Garage
So i was just looking at this:

And I really like that tank. And I'm wondering what the 9er would look like with a more boxy tank. The rear would have to also be modified though...

Food for thought

post #15 of 18 Old 03-02-2018, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I've looked at a number of possible tanks and I think I'm leaning towards the cb1100 tank. I think the channel is wide enough to clear everything that's going on above the engine, but we'll see.

I know I said I'm going to be distracted, but I just bought a set of forks for this bad boy. They arrive next week and I won't spoil it until then. Fingers crossed they're going to work out like I want them to!

post #16 of 18 Old 03-03-2018, 06:33 PM
Centurion

Garage
Can't wait to see pics :P

Quote:
I've looked at a number of possible tanks and I think I'm leaning towards the cb1100 tank. I think the channel is wide enough to clear everything that's going on above the engine, but we'll see.

I know I said I'm going to be distracted, but I just bought a set of forks for this bad boy. They arrive next week and I won't spoil it until then. Fingers crossed they're going to work out like I want them to!

post #17 of 18 Old 03-14-2018, 08:33 AM
Tirone

You can take a look here

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...ad.php?t=39649

Inviato dal mio ASUS_Z012S utilizzando Tapatalk

post #18 of 18 Old 03-22-2018, 04:20 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Nice build you have going on here! Keep going... interested to see where it goes!

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode