919 on the strip - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 34 Old 10-28-2010, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

919 on the strip

Went to the strip for the first time this summer, it was a blast, I'll try to post a vid. I got an 11.38 off the juice and a 10.69 with the giggle juice. Ok I give up on posting the clip, I'm about to punch the screen.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 10-28-2010, 04:30 PM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

awwww come on, those are good numbers. Post the thing to youtube and link it here.

We wanna see!

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #3 of 34 Old 10-28-2010, 04:43 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

looks like someones gunnin' for your spot Bucky!

10.69 huh? what's yer setup?

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #4 of 34 Old 10-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCycho View Post
what's yer setup?

I reckon he's a running that Rotella oil ...........

Nah - I jest - it is most likely a BLACK 919 - that would account for the good times.

Well done I say - and do try again on the vid posting.

post #5 of 34 Old 10-28-2010, 06:54 PM
Aquilifer

i just got a DVD of a bunch of my runs on The Tinman. having raced it for, what? 5 years now? i'd NEVER seen the bike in action before yesterday. i'll have to check with the videographer about his policies/wants before i try to post. i think there's a 10.27 @ 137 in there but not my [email protected] too bad i was beating my head against, a) a wall and b) the bike's speed limiter for 5 years. that explains the mushy spot.

post #6 of 34 Old 10-28-2010, 10:40 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
...i think there's a 10.27 @ 137 in there but not my [email protected] too bad i was beating my head against, a) a wall and b) the bike's speed limiter for 5 years. that explains the mushy spot.
Non-drag racers won't realize this as much as drag racers.. but the difference between a 10.27 and a 10.10 is huge.. not to mention 10.69 to 10.10 Altho.. a 10.69 is pretty impressive for a "first time out" ET. Even with NO2 to help on the big end. 11.38 isn't a bad time for an all motor pass either on a stock wheelbase. Makes me wonder if UGHornet has lots of practice on another bike. Must be nice to make so much power or be so light or both. I know there is no way to pull a pass like that, on a stock wheelbase 919, here at the drag strip I run at.

- Rev. CYCHO -

post #7 of 34 Old 10-29-2010, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

I'll get my bro to put it on youtube, try that first. Ya i'm pretty light, stock wheelbase although I slid the fork tubes up. Had trouble keeping the front down. I have a PC111 on it, a custom intake with k&n, I built a custom under belly muffler (those 2 mods gave me no power on the dyno but look cool) other than that just a 40 hp Cold Fusion dry shot and Kevlar clutch. I relocated the AIT sensor so the N20 sprays directly on it. I could shoot for Bucky's time but don't think I'll get it! I'm going to go another 10 hp on the nitrous, add swingarm blocks, get it lower, and would also like to add a quickshifter. I'll get a couple more tenths there.

post #8 of 34 Old 10-29-2010, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

the best part was the look on the crotch rocket guys faces. One guy says "what does it do?" I said 10.7's my best and he goes "THAT THING?" then I spanked him. He was on a 954. The funnest race of the day was losing to a zx12 with a swingarm, I took him off the line then he beat me by 7 tenths.

post #9 of 34 Old 10-29-2010, 09:50 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGHornet View Post
the best part was the look on the crotch rocket guys faces. One guy says "what does it do?" I said 10.7's my best and he goes "THAT THING?" then I spanked him. He was on a 954.
Asshat

Oh, it doesn't have plastic on it, it can't be fast!!

Cycho, You said no way to pull 11.38 stock. Where do numbers like 11.07 come from in the magazines? I would think they are stock setups no? I always thought of the 919 as a borderline 10sec bike. Is it just that the rider does it all the time and is really really good? or are they full of shit?

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #10 of 34 Old 10-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyCatcher View Post
Cycho, You said no way to pull 11.38 stock. Where do numbers like 11.07 come from in the magazines? I would think they are stock setups no? I always thought of the 919 as a borderline 10sec bike. Is it just that the rider does it all the time and is really really good? or are they full of shit?
Oh no.. it is that fast. I was referring to the track I race at. It is at 4224 ft elevation and next to a big Lake in marsh land. On a good night the Density Altitude is 5600 ft but the Humidity will shoot to 58%.. kills power bad. On most nights during the summer when the humidity is lower.. say 30%ish (marsh land), the DA will be 7000 ft.

Rule is about 3% power lose for ever 1000 ft. above sea level. So swipe 18% of the 919's or any bikes power and you see where I am going.

To give you an idea. I drag a 2007 ZX-14 and I am a big guy. My best run at this track is a 10.32. At sea level that's equivalent to a 9.59 ET using NHRA correction factors. Now that's still slow for my setup.. but I am almost 300 lbs suited... so not so bad for a fat guy. I have a friend at about 155 and he runs a stock wheel base 14.. his best time here is a 9.83, that's a 9.15 using same 5500 ft correction factor.

Anyway, you get the point. I was complaining about the location not the machine.

- Rev. CYCHO -

post #11 of 34 Old 10-29-2010, 11:56 AM
Tirone

Come on ug 10.69??? Pretty impressive numbers for a first timer. We need proof!!! Vid? Time slip?? Even a picture of you on your bike at the strip will help this story a bit.

post #12 of 34 Old 10-29-2010, 12:47 PM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

Quote:
Oh no.. it is that fast. I was referring to the track I race at. It is at 4224 ft elevation and next to a big Lake in marsh land. On a good night the Density Altitude is 5600 ft but the Humidity will shoot to 58%.. kills power bad. On most nights during the summer when the humidity is lower.. say 30%ish (marsh land), the DA will be 7000 ft.

Rule is about 3% power lose for ever 1000 ft. above sea level. So swipe 18% of the 919's or any bikes power and you see where I am going.

To give you an idea. I drag a 2007 ZX-14 and I am a big guy. My best run at this track is a 10.32. At sea level that's equivalent to a 9.59 ET using NHRA correction factors. Now that's still slow for my setup.. but I am almost 300 lbs suited... so not so bad for a fat guy. I have a friend at about 155 and he runs a stock wheel base 14.. his best time here is a 9.83, that's a 9.15 using same 5500 ft correction factor.

Anyway, you get the point. I was complaining about the location not the machine.

I'm pickin up what you're puttin down. Thanks for the explanation.

post #13 of 34 Old 10-29-2010, 03:05 PM
McTavish

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the NHRA correction factors assume that there will be adequate traction to hook up the higher sea level power, and if there is not enough traction, the bike, or car, will not do the predicted sea level time when at sea level because it is traction limited to a slower time.

post #14 of 34 Old 10-29-2010, 05:03 PM
Aquilifer

"his best time here is a 9.83, that's a 9.15 using same 5500 ft correction factor"

makes me doubt correction factors, as the best of the best go 9.45-ish on a ZX14.

it's all about clutch abuse, which is to say it's all about keeping the bike near its power peak all the way down the strip. it's hard to slip a clutch as much as they want, if your ears work and you love machines. a proper run sounds like you're torturing it.

11.07? i thought i'd seen 11.2 as a more accepted 919 time in magazines.

you know the old, "this thread is worthless without pictures" meme?
picture of a time slip takes 2 minutes to post...doesn't require a brother's help. talk about an embarassing 60 foot (for a bike with an 8" stretch) see the attached. a real rider woulda had a 9.99 there. but not me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slip1010.jpg (98.2 KB, 5 views)

post #15 of 34 Old 10-29-2010, 05:48 PM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

Hey Bucky,

I guess it depends on where you look. Sportrider has it at 11.09, but I do seem to remember one listing 11.21

Honda Motorcycle Performance Numbers & Honda Street Bike Quarter Mile Times at Sport Rider

post #16 of 34 Old 10-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the NHRA correction factors assume that there will be adequate traction to hook up the higher sea level power, and if there is not enough traction, the bike, or car, will not do the predicted sea level time when at sea level because it is traction limited to a slower time.
Very true! Spray down some more VHT Track bite.

- Rev. CYCHO -

post #17 of 34 Old 10-29-2010, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

ya Bucky it requires help, I spent half an hour tryin, I can't copy and paste a damn thing from my picture files, can't get a url on any pic or vid, THAT's why I want to punch the computer. When I get back to town Sunday I'll try putting up a timeslip with my cel phone. Take it as a compliment if someone doesn't believe it ) And it was my first time ever on a drag strip, no b.s. there. Was funny, my brother who has raced his vmax a few times was trying to play head games staging and on my first race and I got a better reaction time. Sibling rivalry, all in fun!

post #18 of 34 Old 10-29-2010, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

i remember seeing a 11.19 I think it was in motorcyclist, and that's the fastest I ever saw.

post #19 of 34 Old 10-29-2010, 06:31 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
"his best time here is a 9.83, that's a 9.15 using same 5500 ft correction factor"

makes me doubt correction factors, as the best of the best go 9.45-ish on a ZX14.

it's all about clutch abuse, which is to say it's all about keeping the bike near its power peak all the way down the strip. it's hard to slip a clutch as much as they want, if your ears work and you love machines. a proper run sounds like you're torturing it.

11.07? i thought i'd seen 11.2 as a more accepted 919 time in magazines.

you know the old, "this thread is worthless without pictures" meme?
picture of a time slip takes 2 minutes to post...doesn't require a brother's help. talk about an embarassing 60 foot (for a bike with an 8" stretch) see the attached. a real rider woulda had a 9.99 there. but not me.
I don't know for sure what the best of the best would be able to do on a 14 setup the same.. pretty sure there are a few jockeys cracking 8s tho. Talk is cheap.. internet talk even more so... but dudes are claiming 9.1x on stock wheelbase 14s.

When I raced on the 919 I would have to slip the clutch way past the 60 ft mark.. probably about 100 ft or more. Of course I wasn't fighting a motor bog.. I was fighting a wheelie. On the 14 with a 6" stretch and bad air, I fight a bog. When the air is good and she hooks, it's on! I got that clutch out in 20 ft.. maybe, if that. The faster I get it let out the quicker I am. BTW.. I have only tapped a 1.6 60 maybe 5 or 6 times. Up until this last season I had only had 2 1.7s. Getting better.. but it's cuz I am letting it out faster. Being heavy is a huge disadvantage and is real hard on clutches.

Best ET this year was a 10.03 at Wendover Raceway. elevation 4240 ft.. No 60 ft times.. no printout at that track. "Outlaw Racing" is what he calls it. Anyway.. was probably a low 1.6x's I make more power in the dry desert than I do at RMR right next the Great Salt Lake. Humidity is a killer.. especially with over 5000 DA.

- Rev. CYCHO -

post #20 of 34 Old 10-30-2010, 03:12 AM
Imaginifer

Just off topic slightly, whats the latest update with the engine in the tinman Bucky?

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/woodyeee/IMAG0306.jpg
post #21 of 34 Old 10-30-2010, 05:04 AM
Optio

I don't think correction factors are all that bad. They may be a bit optomistic but they are equally optomisitc accross the board. So its a nice equalizer for those poor souls tha live at high elevations.
No offence Bucky but it is amuzing that the one guy that lives at sea level in a cool climate is the guy who thinks they are bogus

That said I never use them. But I do keep track of their values each night I go to the track. I compaired my times/speeds once using them. And it did to a very good job of normalizing all my runs to the point that the speeds/et were very near the same for any run that had a similar 60' time.

I think bike and big hp cars are suseptable to something someone said in an earlier post. The correction factorss assume that traction, or in our case wheelies will not beecome an issue with the added hp of lower elevations. And letss face it, a true 10 sec bike is way harder to run 10ss on that a 12 second bike is to run 12s.
Hell, I could only muster a 10.8 on my 1000 but I could nearly match the magazines on the 919 with an 11.18.

Oh, one more thing. The magazines use correction factors. And thier tester is typicall a small dude and he gets to practice all day and they use his one best run. So figure they test at high elevations in Cali so launching is easier, using a rider that could be 50 lbs lighter than the average joe and who had all day to figure out the clutch instead of 3-6 tries spread over the coarse of a few hours. Its easy to see why the magazine numbers are very unobtainable. I have never seeen someone run 9s on a stock 1000 that wasn't at least lowered.

02 919 (RIP)
07 600RR
07 CRF450X
81 XS850
09 Versys
post #22 of 34 Old 10-30-2010, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Here you go guys, my bro got it up on youtube. On this run my nephew didn't zoom in on the time but I will get the slip up. I think this is the 954 I raced. Wheel came up in
2nd when I hit the nitrous but I didn't have to let off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoDnQ1f57TA

post #23 of 34 Old 10-30-2010, 08:33 AM
Tirone

Awesome, prooves you went to the track at least. Ya get that slip up.

post #24 of 34 Old 10-30-2010, 11:15 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGHornet View Post
Here you go guys, my bro got it up on youtube. On this run my nephew didn't zoom in on the time but I will get the slip up. I think this is the 954 I raced. Wheel came up in
2nd when I hit the nitrous but I didn't have to let off.

Dude, that's awesome. He got dropped like a hot pistol. Way to show'em your taillight.

post #25 of 34 Old 10-30-2010, 04:49 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by touring919 View Post
That said I never use them. But I do keep track of their values each night I go to the track. I compaired my times/speeds once using them. And it did to a very good job of normalizing all my runs to the point that the speeds/et were very near the same for any run that had a similar 60' time.
I agree. I don't ever use correction factors either.. you run what you run. I was just using them to illustrate that there are very big differences in ET/MPH between tracks and wanted to put it in better perspective. NHRA correction factors are the only ones I have to work with. I also wanted to make the point that power to weight plays a large role as well. That's why my friend at 155 lbs can beat me on a stock wheel base zx-14 against my 6" stretched every time. Besides the fact that he is very good at the light.. even when I get the drop on him and pull ahead it's a short lead. He can put down 1.6 60 ft times all day and I have seen him pull a 1.59 once as well. He has always been about 1 sec faster than me on the same machine. I wish he would let me stretch his 14 and I'd get him in the low 9s for sure, even at this altitude.

Anyway, I love drag racing even if I can't be the quickest or fastest. I am what I am. Besides.. with a zx-14 I certainly ain't the slowest.

- Rev. CYCHO -

post #26 of 34 Old 10-31-2010, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

time slip

time slip 016.jpg
this is my worst r/t, still trying to time leaving on the yellow, best r/t was a .140. Best time I have proof of on paper. Have a clip where announcer says I got a 10.69. My 'motor' pass was actually a 11.32 not a 11.38. Mine is on the right, vmax on the left

post #27 of 34 Old 10-31-2010, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

time slip 2 001.jpg
this is my all motor pass, only did one and went right to the N20, mine is on the right

post #28 of 34 Old 10-31-2010, 10:00 AM
Optio

Not to shabby.

02 919 (RIP)
07 600RR
07 CRF450X
81 XS850
09 Versys
post #29 of 34 Old 11-01-2010, 06:07 AM
Tirone

Harumphhhh, Ok ug you did allright, better than allright for a first timer. Cheers

post #30 of 34 Old 11-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Aquilifer

i never said i didn't believe anything about ugh. i just said "PICTURES!". congrats.
no news on motor. have barely touched it since i lost #4.

oh yeah. i don't believe anyone's going 8's on a stock zx14. and i don't think anyone's going 9.15 at sea level either.

post #31 of 34 Old 11-01-2010, 06:48 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
oh yeah. i don't believe anyone's going 8's on a stock zx14. and i don't think anyone's going 9.15 at sea level either.
I ain't backing no one up here.. but this dude is claiming 9.11 @ 153 on stack wheel base and pump gas in his signature on bikeland/zx-14.com

smokinZX14

Another dude claiming 9.19 @ 151.

Quarter Pounder

- Rev. CYCHO -

post #32 of 34 Old 11-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Fuck all that above.. here's proof instead!

- Rev. CYCHO -

post #33 of 34 Old 11-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Aquilifer

"stock wheel base and pump gas" aint a stock bike. period.

post #34 of 34 Old 11-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
"stock wheel base and pump gas" aint a stock bike. period.
I never said stock. I said stock wheel base.

I said:

"I don't know for sure what the best of the best would be able to do on a 14 setup the same.. pretty sure there are a few jockeys cracking 8s tho. Talk is cheap.. internet talk even more so... but dudes are claiming 9.1x on stock wheelbase 14s."

- Rev. CYCHO -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode