919 Noises - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 06-06-2016, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Young Old Man

Garage
919 Noises

Hey everyone,

I've been noticing a couple peculiar noises on my 2007 919. Just rolled over 5k miles. Obviously it's hard to describe them because I ride a naked bike with a noisy helmet so there's quite a bit of wind noise as well. Anyway:

#1) First gear meshing. I've heard this on all my Hondas but still don't know exactly what it is. When I downshift into 1st while I'm still rolling I hear a high pitched whine as the gears mesh. What concerns me is the sound is inconsistent, like it kind of skips. Probably normal, but since I'm on the subject, I'll include it.

#2) When I go over certain bumps at low speed I hear what I can best describe as a "jingle," not a rattle, from somewhere on the rear end. Almost like dropping a small bag of coins. It doesn't do it all the time, either.

#3) A week or two ago I noticed on the highway when I rode close to a barrier I could hear a noise that sounded like a flag rustling in a stiff breeze. Today at low speed I noticed that I could hear a short "scuff" or "drag" at an interval proportional to my speed, I think from the front end. My first thought would be brake rotor, but it doesn't feel like a warped rotor at all. And, like I said, 5k miles.

When it's lighter I plan on taking a good look at my front wheel, chain and sprockets, and swingarm.

In the meantime, if anyone has any experience or ideas, I appreciate your input. Sorry for the strange descriptions.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-06-2016, 08:20 PM
oops hurts

Garage
1) normal

2) chain (or brake rotor)

3) brakes.

Just guesses Im no authority just had 2 919s and sounds familiar.

post #3 of 8 Old 06-07-2016, 02:19 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

#2 could be the exhaust hanger bracket on the bottom of the header.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-07-2016, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Young Old Man

Garage
I checked the exhaust bracket and it's in one piece. Chain seems good, although I'm fairly inexperienced with chains as all my previous bikes have been shafties. Regardless, I can't recreate the noise playing with the slack side of the chain. So I'm guessing it would be a warped brake rotor for #3? I was planning on taking the calipers off and cleaning all the dust out to get them to stop squeaking, is there anything I can check while I'm in there? I would think the best way to inspect the rotors would be to throw the bike up on a stand and spin the wheel while measuring runout with a dial test indicator. I have neither of those things at my disposal.

Ride naked.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-07-2016, 02:02 PM
The Cripple

Noise? The 919 makes noise (joke, you'll get it when you learn more about me)?

Just ride the damn thing. Kiss principle here.

post #6 of 8 Old 06-07-2016, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Young Old Man

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Noise? The 919 makes noise (joke, you'll get it when you learn more about me)?

Just ride the damn thing. Kiss principle here.
And I'm still getting used to the whine from the valve train (or wherever it comes from)

Ride naked.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-07-2016, 05:25 PM
oops hurts

Garage
If the bike wasnt so young you could maybe think clutch but these things are so rock solid I seriously doubt it.

post #8 of 8 Old 06-13-2016, 11:03 AM
Tirone

Speaking of noises I finally found the source of an annoying buzz nose on my 919. At certain points during acceleration and deceleration (never consistent rpm) I got a loud buzz that was driving me crazy. Turns out it was the left mirror. I suspected the mirror before but ruled it out because on a few occasions when it was buzzing I put hand pressure on the mirror and the buzz continued. Usually touching a vibrating object on a bike stops or at least reduces the noise. Yesterday I removed the mirror and rode it and buzz was gone. Put it back on tightly and buzz was back. When shaking mirror it seems intact- no loose parts inside housing. Not sure why vibration isolated in just one mirror? Gonna try aftermarket plastic housed mirrors and see if that does the trick. Anybody else ever experience this? Lou

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode