919 Noise Question - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 09-15-2009, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

919 Noise Question

Hey guys,

I have a 2006 919 that I bought used which now has about 1600 miles on it. I have a question about a noise I've been hearing on it to see what you guys think it is.

It only occurs when the bike is moving, so I assume it's nothing to do with the motor itself.

When riding the bike, I don't really notice the noise with my thighs up against the tank. However, when I pull my left leg out away from the tank, I hear an almost rattling sound. Again, I only hear this when the bike is in motion, and it is only on the left side of the bike. What would be producing this noise on that side of the bike?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-15-2009, 07:27 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

The noise sounds like it's coming from the chain. It could be loose, dry, or the wheels not aligned. Likely all of the above.
In my opinion it is not likely too tight but I'm not sure exactly what that would sound like.

There is lot's of good info here on chains and adjustment etc...

Good Luck,
Mark

post #3 of 6 Old 09-15-2009, 07:37 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacadkin View Post
However, when I pull my left leg out away from the tank, I hear an almost rattling sound.
Loose bolt in the air intake/flapper? Radiator bolt loose? Does it sound like a rattling bolt at all?

post #4 of 6 Old 09-15-2009, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

No it doesn't sound like a rattling bolt. It has something to do with something rotating as the bike moves. I'm not exactly sure what to call the noise, because it really isn't a "rattle." The sound is generated when something is spinning/rotating on the left side of the bike.

The chain makes sense, I'll look into that. Anything else it could be on that side of the bike?

post #5 of 6 Old 09-15-2009, 08:56 PM
4 whls good 2 whls better

The only other things spinning on that side of the bike are the wheels, the alternator, and the starter, and the latter two wouldn't care if the bike was moving or not.

So get the wheels up in the air (with the engine off, just in case that needed saying), spin 'em and listen. If you don't have a center stand, a swingarm stand is an excellent investment. I have a cheapie that works just fine, others swear by better ones.

It doesn't take much of a wheel misalignment to make the chain chafe.

post #6 of 6 Old 09-16-2009, 12:17 AM
CB900

Sounds like it could be the chain to me, but they are a noisy motor as well being unfaired and stuff.....

I come from the land Down Under, Where the women blow and the men thunder!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode