919 New tire time... - Wrist Twisters
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By nathanktm

post #1 of 27 Old 04-22-2020, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
919 New tire time...

I know I'm opening a can of worms, but I'm very torn on what tire to get for my 03 919.
I currently have a set of Michelin Pilot Road 5's, and have got about 6k miles/one season out of the rear. However, I've never ridden in the rain, and only ride when its dry if I can help it. I was looking at Michelin's 2020 line of tires, and was torn between the Power 5 and the Power GP. I would like to do a track day this year if possible. Most of my riding is on twisty country roads, so cornering ability is a must.
The guys in my sportbike riding group mostly recommend the Dunlop Q3+, which I would be open to, but my front tire isn't due for a change yet. Help me decide!

TL;DR Michelin Power 5, Power GP, or Dunlop Q3+, and change both or just rear?

2003 Honda 919 in Smoke, LED headlight, Renthal Ultra Lows, DanMoto Carbon GP exhaust, CustomLED integrated tail light, LED switchback front signals, PAIR delete, flapper mod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 04-22-2020, 01:04 PM
4 Cyl Life

What was your experience with the Road 5s like? I've been eyeing the Road 5s for my next set of tires, but 6K seems like a pretty short life for a sport-touring tire on a bike this light. If that's a normal lifespan for a Road 5 rear, I'll probably look elsewhere considering what Michelin wants for them.

Current: '07 Honda 919
Past: '81 Yamaha Seca 750 - '01 Suzuki DR650 - '08 Kawasaki Concours 14

post #3 of 27 Old 04-22-2020, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
They're a pretty great all-around tire, but doesn't excel at any one specific category except for rain. I ride very hard, so you can expect to get probably 10k+ miles out of it if you're more of a tame rider. I need a more track/sport oriented tire for dry weather since thats where I do 99% of my riding. Overall, don't get it if you don't ride in the rain. Look more towards their Power 5 or Power GP.

2003 Honda 919 in Smoke, LED headlight, Renthal Ultra Lows, DanMoto Carbon GP exhaust, CustomLED integrated tail light, LED switchback front signals, PAIR delete, flapper mod.
post #4 of 27 Old 04-22-2020, 05:41 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

The Q3+ was the best combination of tires I ran on my 919. The combination was very predictable and confidence inspiring. The tire wear was actually alright. Depends on how you ride but it gets pretty decent miles on the center, but if you do a lot on the sides, they'll wear out first. I ran I think 5 sets of Q3+ on my 919. Mileage ranged from 9500 on the rear to 5000, til the first cord showed, mind you. Trackdays and commuting, it was great.

I tried Rosso III next and it changed directions much more quickly but definitely was a step down on traction. Front tire felt vague and it wasn't a predictable turn in, felt a little too pointy of a tire for my liking.

Now I'm intentionally running a mismatched set of bridgestons, S22 rear tire and RS10 front. The front tire has exactly the same outer diameter and profile, only the compound and tread pattern is different. I don't hard ride in the rain so who cares. I wanted a sticky front and a longer lasting rear. The RS10 has roughly the grip of a q3+ but doesn't seem to warm up as quick, and it's not as firm. Still gives much better feedback than the rosso III ever did. S22 rear tire feels predictable. I've only done 200 miles on them so far, but I trust them to drag the peg on the ground and then some.

Q3+ is still my favorite set. I would try those first. I got the bridgestones for 180 bucks combined after the rebate though, so it's hard to beat the price.

I always change both tires as a set. If I am going to drastically change the way my bike handles, I'd like for it to be the way it was intended to handle. Although, the rosso iii rear with the Q3 front tire felt great. Putting a new rosso III on the front made the handling worse.
mcromo44 and Isaiah Wright like this.

post #5 of 27 Old 04-22-2020, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Thank you, this is great!

post #6 of 27 Old 04-22-2020, 06:25 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
The Q3+ was the best combination of tires I ran on my 919. The combination was very predictable and confidence inspiring. The tire wear was actually alright. Depends on how you ride but it gets pretty decent miles on the center, but if you do a lot on the sides, they'll wear out first. I ran I think 5 sets of Q3+ on my 919. Mileage ranged from 9500 on the rear to 5000, til the first cord showed, mind you. Trackdays and commuting, it was great.

I tried Rosso III next and it changed directions much more quickly but definitely was a step down on traction. Front tire felt vague and it wasn't a predictable turn in, felt a little too pointy of a tire for my liking.

Now I'm intentionally running a mismatched set of bridgestons, S22 rear tire and RS10 front. The front tire has exactly the same outer diameter and profile, only the compound and tread pattern is different. I don't hard ride in the rain so who cares. I wanted a sticky front and a longer lasting rear. The RS10 has roughly the grip of a q3+ but doesn't seem to warm up as quick, and it's not as firm. Still gives much better feedback than the rosso III ever did. S22 rear tire feels predictable. I've only done 200 miles on them so far, but I trust them to drag the peg on the ground and then some.

Q3+ is still my favorite set. I would try those first. I got the bridgestones for 180 bucks combined after the rebate though, so it's hard to beat the price.

I always change both tires as a set. If I am going to drastically change the way my bike handles, I'd like for it to be the way it was intended to handle. Although, the rosso iii rear with the Q3 front tire felt great. Putting a new rosso III on the front made the handling worse.
Any reason why you have not tried Q4's yet?

post #7 of 27 Old 04-22-2020, 06:52 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Any reason why you have not tried Q4's yet?
I thought about it, but there's two big reasons why I haven't and probably wont on my honda for the time being.

1. They cost like 400 bucks for a set.

2. I do roughly 12,000 miles a year on my hornet. I want a tire that I can ride 850 miles down to the tail of the dragon, rip that for a few days, and then ride back home without having to replace the tire mid way or completely squaring it off by the time I get there.

I would like to try some incredible tire but I don't think the honda nor do I have the capability of drawing everything out of it. I'd only be able to do that at a track. On the street, apparently a bald rosso III is more than enough grip to go WOT at 10-15 degrees of lean in first gear before complaining. How much faster do you really need to go on the street? I don't think I'll ever use anything other than a multi-compound tire on the honda unless I turn it into my track toy, which is a possibility. At that point I'd just run slicks.

post #8 of 27 Old 04-22-2020, 08:02 PM
McTavish

Quote:
I thought about it, but there's two big reasons why I haven't and probably wont on my honda for the time being.

1. They cost like 400 bucks for a set.

2. I do roughly 12,000 miles a year on my hornet. I want a tire that I can ride 850 miles down to the tail of the dragon, rip that for a few days, and then ride back home without having to replace the tire mid way or completely squaring it off by the time I get there.

I would like to try some incredible tire but I don't think the honda nor do I have the capability of drawing everything out of it. I'd only be able to do that at a track. On the street, apparently a bald rosso III is more than enough grip to go WOT at 10-15 degrees of lean in first gear before complaining. How much faster do you really need to go on the street? I don't think I'll ever use anything other than a multi-compound tire on the honda unless I turn it into my track toy, which is a possibility. At that point I'd just run slicks.

That makes sense overall.
Personally, I wouldn't want to do cool wet riding on 4s being all carbon, as compared to the 3s and 3+s with silica and understood to be decent in the cool wet.
That's aside from any life consideration at all, which is yet another factor in favour of the 3 series.

post #9 of 27 Old 04-26-2020, 02:04 PM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
That makes sense overall.
Personally, I wouldn't want to do cool wet riding on 4s being all carbon, as compared to the 3s and 3+s with silica and understood to be decent in the cool wet.
That's aside from any life consideration at all, which is yet another factor in favour of the 3 series.

Cycle World seems to think the 4 is a silica-compound tire: https://www.cycleworld.com/2014/05/1...rmance-review/

And the 5s seem to be silica based as well. https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...cle-tire-test/

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #10 of 27 Old 04-26-2020, 02:19 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB700S View Post
Cycle World seems to think the 4 is a silica-compound tire: https://www.cycleworld.com/2014/05/1...rmance-review/

And the 5s seem to be silica based as well. https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...cle-tire-test/
We were talking about the Dunlops. The q3+ has a silica center compound and the q4 is a full carbon single compound tire

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

post #11 of 27 Old 04-26-2020, 07:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
We were talking about the Dunlops. The q3+ has a silica center compound and the q4 is a full carbon single compound tire

Ah, okay, I misunderstood.

2002 Honda 919
post #12 of 27 Old 04-27-2020, 10:55 AM
Pokemon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloboy View Post
What was your experience with the Road 5s like? I've been eyeing the Road 5s for my next set of tires, but 6K seems like a pretty short life for a sport-touring tire on a bike this light. If that's a normal lifespan for a Road 5 rear, I'll probably look elsewhere considering what Michelin wants for them.
I know it's different bikes, but in my normal commuting riding, power applied and lean angle reached are probably pretty similar. I got about 10,000 miles out of a set of Pilot Road 2s on my XB12R. I am on track to get more than 12,000 miles out of the set of Pilot Road 4s on my CB500X. It also weighs about the same, but has about half the power and torque of the 919. Both bikes were not used for any track days, or more than about 70% pace. They had about 1/4" of chicken strip left on the front tire and a little less on the back when I swapped them out. I don't push that hard on sport touring tires on the road.

I have a road 5 on the back of my 919 that the previous owner says has about 6,000 miles on it, and it appears like I'll be able to get another 3-4,000 out of it. Since the 919 is my "fun" bike, I'll probably be switching to whatever they're calling the Pilot Power these days. I ride until the wear bars are gone, not cords showing.

2007 919, 2013 CB500X, 2009 Buell XB12R, 20+ bicycles
post #13 of 27 Old 04-27-2020, 12:23 PM
Tirone

I just put a new suit of Michelin Road 5's on the ol' 919, replacing a suit of Pilot Road 3's and all I can say is there are not enought O's in "smooth" to describe how those tires feel. I find it to be a very nice combination for the 919. They're actually not all that expensive but since your tires generate all the forces you need to go down the road and not fall over, why would you go "cheap" on them anyway.

post #14 of 27 Old 04-27-2020, 02:44 PM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailing_Throttle View Post
I just put a new suit of Michelin Road 5's on the ol' 919, replacing a suit of Pilot Road 3's and all I can say is there are not enought O's in "smooth" to describe how those tires feel. I find it to be a very nice combination for the 919. They're actually not all that expensive but since your tires generate all the forces you need to go down the road and not fall over, why would you go "cheap" on them anyway.
That's my experience of the 5's as well - I won't be looking for anything else next time around, provided the mileage turns out to be reasonable, and it looks like it's going to.

They are a little more expensive than some tyres in our marketplace, but they have been far and away the best I have tried for turn-in feel and confidence.

post #15 of 27 Old 04-28-2020, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
I'm still having a hard time deciding, and my tire is wearing out as we speak. I think I'm down to the Power 5 vs the Q3+. They're the same price.

post #16 of 27 Old 04-28-2020, 08:08 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

Dunlop is currently offering a 40 dollar rebate on a set of tires.

post #17 of 27 Old 04-28-2020, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Bought the Dunlops!

post #18 of 27 Old 05-01-2020, 04:27 AM
Tirone

I have a whole 150 miles on my new Michelin Road 5's. I discovered a nail in the rear this morning. I thought the bike was sitting sort of funny on its side stand and sure enough the rear was virtually flat. I never seem to get a puncture on some old worn out rag. Nope! It's always on a relatively new tire.

post #19 of 27 Old 05-01-2020, 07:11 PM
Pokemon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah Wright View Post
Bought the Dunlops!
Keep us in the loop.

Quote:
I have a whole 150 miles on my new Michelin Road 5's. I discovered a nail in the rear this morning. I thought the bike was sitting sort of funny on its side stand and sure enough the rear was virtually flat. I never seem to get a puncture on some old worn out rag. Nope! It's always on a relatively new tire.
Shit that sucks. Seems like that's how it always goes.

2007 919, 2013 CB500X, 2009 Buell XB12R, 20+ bicycles
post #20 of 27 Old 05-06-2020, 03:26 PM
Tirone

Quote:
You could plug and patch assuming it's in the tread and not the sidewall.

post #21 of 27 Old 05-06-2020, 11:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxRC View Post
You could plug and patch assuming it's in the tread and not the sidewall.

IMHO, it's not worth the risk other than as a temporary measure to get you home. The consequences if the patch fails explosively at the wrong time are conceivably lethal.

2002 Honda 919
post #22 of 27 Old 05-06-2020, 11:40 PM

Garage
Quote:

Same thing happened to me repeatedly a couple years back. In recent years, I've been getting my tires from CycleGear which offers extra-cost road hazard coverage - $25-50 later and you get a new tire with new road hazard coverage. I ended up paying about $75 for three new tires in quick succession, instead of $300+.

2002 Honda 919
post #23 of 27 Old 05-13-2020, 05:14 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB700S View Post
The consequences if the patch fails explosively at the wrong time are conceivably lethal.

I did say patch and plug. The Honda Yamaha dealership does this so it is a permanent fix.

post #24 of 27 Old 05-14-2020, 12:25 AM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxRC View Post
I did say patch and plug. The Honda Yamaha dealership does this so it is a permanent fix.
Yeah, I'm with you - big round patch on the inside of the tyre - where's that going to go?

I had a proper p&p repair done on a Contimotion a few years ago - got another 5,000km or so out of the fixed tyre before changing it.

post #25 of 27 Old 05-25-2020, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Firebolt View Post
Keep us in the loop.
Day three of having the Dunlops...I LOVE them! Much more confidence in the corners, and already have 50% less chicken strip than I did with the Michelin PR5's. Also probably helps that I'm running these at 34/32 PSI, and love the sticky feel.

post #26 of 27 Old 05-26-2020, 01:41 PM
4 Cyl Life

I'm getting a set of Dunlop Roadsmart 3s for my 919. The Metzelers that are on it still have plenty of tread, but the manufacture date is in 2011, so it's past time to swap them.

Current: '07 Honda 919
Past: '81 Yamaha Seca 750 - '01 Suzuki DR650 - '08 Kawasaki Concours 14

post #27 of 27 Old 05-26-2020, 01:50 PM
Tirone

I did plug and patch the punctured Road 5 tire. The plug to keep the water out of the hole and away from the steel belts and the internal patch to make sure it was air tight. I dismounted the tire and buffed away the inner liner around the hole. I also cut the plug off flush with the inside of the tire. (Those plugs are tough!) Then scrubbed the area with M.E.K. to be sure there was no molding compound left and applied a nice round patch from a fresh patch kit. I've found that you really can't keep those kits for very long or the rubber cement in them goes bad. It's been fine since. I would not attempt this repair for a puncture near the edge of the belt or in the sidewall of the tire.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode