919 - My D&D's are too loud. Should I get... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 03-31-2009, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
HOT! Lance

Question 919 - My D&D's are too loud. Should I get...

I've got a 2006 919. It came with a D&D exhaust, which is starting to cut into my riding enjoyment. Even with ear plugs, I find riding on the freeway too loud.

Besides less noise, I'm looking for quality engineering and longevity.

I've ridden 919s with stock exhausts, Satos (VERY nice, but probably still to loud), and MajorNickmo's 919 with Carbon Jardine's (volume about right, but I'm not sure about longevity).

I read most (all?) of the exhaust threads and the youtube videos.

On my short list: Mivv, Leo Vince, yoshimura.

Specific questions:

1. Anyone with experience with MIVV Oval Canisters?

2. MIVV X-cone's seem nice, but are they too quiet with the noise suppressors?

3. Same goes for Leo Vince. Are they too quiet with the inserts in?

4. Yosh carbon's, how's the longevity?

5. Any other exhausts that seem to fit the bill? Akrapovic? GPR? ???

Thanks,
Lance

P.S. Anybody in San Diego with aftermarket exhausts willing to demo?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-31-2009, 06:27 PM
Milites Gregarius

I just put on Yoshimuras. I rode with them for a couple of days without the included inserts. They were too loud for me. I installed the inserts and found them to be great after that. They are louder than stock, but have the sound I was looking for.
Also, the bike ran better with the inserts in. I assume that you need a Power Commander if you run without the baffles.
I have no plans to get one, as I am happy with my current setup.

post #3 of 18 Old 03-31-2009, 06:56 PM
Scott

I have the Leo vince set up. They come with inserts and baffles so you have a wide range to choose from. I run mine wide open and don't think it's to loud

(disclamer: I live in the hometown of Harley Davison where straight pipes on the big v-twins are the norm, you can hear them things lumbering 2 miles away)

I've had them on for 2 seasons and they're still like new. Great quality plus you get the bigger diameter "Y" pipe in the kit.

I've been very happy with mine

post #4 of 18 Old 03-31-2009, 07:02 PM

Hey LanceRushing - I too; am very interested in 919 exhaust options. What I have learned is that there are many suppliers who are selling what I consider to be nothing more than a cylinder with a quantity of baffle fibre inside. This approach may be satisfactory for a while until the fibre disintegrates and by then any warranty will have expired. Other suppliers have actually designed their product by employing one or more resonant chambers. In my view, the most worthy contenders have used scientific principals and then tested & refined their products on a dyno. Although the resonant chamber type will weigh a bit more, you are buying design and substance rather than just a fibre damped tube with end caps. Now, I live about as far away as it gets from major suppliers so I am considering European, American and Australian products since the shipping costs will be similar. One product which I am currently considering is the Laser DuoTech from Laser Exhaust Technology in the Netherlands (Holland). Unfortunately, their web site has a fault that does not return the US dealer but you could easily google it. Here is the link to the manufacturer - Hope this helps. http://www.laserexhausts.com/en/docu.../duo-tech.html

post #5 of 18 Old 03-31-2009, 07:14 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Welcome. Please take time and go over to the introductions section.

I used to have Yoshi, but sold them to a friend for a set of Sato's

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #6 of 18 Old 03-31-2009, 08:51 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

i have a set of scopions i will be selling soon, they were pefect sound and build, trading them in for 900rr with a sato

post #7 of 18 Old 03-31-2009, 08:53 PM
Need I say more?

+1 on the yoshi's, with the insert they are very tame. I almost cried when I first heard mine, then I realized you could take the center out.

post #8 of 18 Old 03-31-2009, 11:14 PM
CB900

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeJay View Post
Hey LanceRushing - I too; am very interested in 919 exhaust options. What I have learned is that there are many suppliers who are selling what I consider to be nothing more than a cylinder with a quantity of baffle fibre inside. This approach may be satisfactory for a while until the fibre disintegrates and by then any warranty will have expired. Other suppliers have actually designed their product by employing one or more resonant chambers. In my view, the most worthy contenders have used scientific principals and then tested & refined their products on a dyno. Although the resonant chamber type will weigh a bit more, you are buying design and substance rather than just a fibre damped tube with end caps. Now, I live about as far away as it gets from major suppliers so I am considering European, American and Australian products since the shipping costs will be similar. One product which I am currently considering is the Laser DuoTech from Laser Exhaust Technology in the Netherlands (Holland). Unfortunately, their web site has a fault that does not return the US dealer but you could easily google it. Here is the link to the manufacturer - Hope this helps. http://www.laserexhausts.com/en/docu.../duo-tech.html
What Aussie suppliers have you found, the only one I can find is Staintune, who discontinued the cb900 model?

I come from the land Down Under, Where the women blow and the men thunder!!
post #9 of 18 Old 04-01-2009, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdog32 View Post
What Aussie suppliers have you found, the only one I can find is Staintune, who discontinued the cb900 model?
Ok - thanks RockDog - did not know Staintune had discontinued the CB900 as it still shows on page 2 of their web. Are you sure? They look well made and I think their kit also included a large diameter Y pipe. http://www.staintune.com.au/exhausts...Hornet_900.htm

BTW - the US agent for Laser Exhausts is OMEX Performance in CA. They also appear to do a (race?) cam for the 919. http://www.omexperformanceusa.com/index.html

post #10 of 18 Old 04-01-2009, 07:33 AM

I too had D&Ds and swapped for Satos. The Satos were even louder and I quickly grew weary of the blast at mid-high RPM.

I'm now riding a 954 with stock cans. I am so diggin the quiet ride that I can't seem to get motivated to swap out the heavy stock cans for an aftermarket system and PCIII. I'd love to shed a few pounds but I may keep it stock forever.

post #11 of 18 Old 04-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Naked bikes = Perma-grin

Mmmm, I just put on the Sato gen I cans. I can't give you much feedback on the performance/sound yet since it keeps snowing here in MN. But the quality and fit are beautiful. The sound is very deep and powerful sounding at idle, and doesn't get tinnie or that much louder on the road. The couple miles I rode it was great. compared to stock I can actually here the exhaust over the wind blast. I think they are great, not to loud, but don't have any miles on them yet to see if they get louder or not.

Much quieter than my Mustang with modded motor and flowmaster exhaust.

post #12 of 18 Old 04-01-2009, 03:00 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I have the CF Yoshimuras. They were used (9000 miles) when I got my last 919. I put 5000 miles on them before the bike was totalled. I took them off and now have them on my new 919 (2000 miles) and they still work great - no problems at all.
I've never heard them with a quiet insert installed but they are just fine without it. I've heard them next to Gen 1 Satos and the Satos were louder.

post #13 of 18 Old 04-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Milites Gregarius

I have Yoshimuras. I thought they were too loud uncorked, but a bit mellow with the inserts in. I guess I am looking for a happy medium.
I was wondering about cutting the inserts shorter. Has anyone tried this?
I have no knowledge about acoustics or sound characteristics and other such principles. I am but a simple bike riding guy.
The inserts are about 6" long or so and I am in possession of a pipe cutter.
Should I do it?

post #14 of 18 Old 04-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

ohhh dooooo it. whats the worst that could happen?

but really i dont think it would be a problem. take of a little at a time

post #15 of 18 Old 04-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Milites Gregarius

Ya, I was thinking that.
I'm going to do it. Don't try to stop me!

post #16 of 18 Old 04-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Centurion

I dont find Sato Gen IIs loud at all IMHO. Any diesel or thing with a H-D on the tank drowns me out. I have heard D&D is the loudest thing out there.

post #17 of 18 Old 04-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff919 View Post
I have Yoshimuras. I thought they were too loud uncorked, but a bit mellow with the inserts in. I guess I am looking for a happy medium.
I was wondering about cutting the inserts shorter. Has anyone tried this?
I have no knowledge about acoustics or sound characteristics and other such principles. I am but a simple bike riding guy.
The inserts are about 6" long or so and I am in possession of a pipe cutter.
Should I do it?
I cut the inserts where they start to taper, about 2 inches.
This did make it a bit louder than uncut. The bike still runs OK.
I don't have $ for a Power Commander yet, so I'll leave the inserts in until I get one. I may cut off another inch.

post #18 of 18 Old 04-07-2009, 09:39 PM
I'm going riding.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

i made a single side mid pipe and put on a $5 ebay Yoshi. is sounds delicious. i would do it again for the 9 bucks i have invested.

30,000 mile 919 survivor. No plans of stopping the abuse any time soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode