919 Low mount questions - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 26 Old 08-11-2010, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Braaaap

919 Low mount questions

Im really considering doing the low mount option for my 919, But I have some questions. Over at fireblades.org user H919rider has the 900RR header with a scorpion street extreme muffler (very trick looking) and he stated it was off an 05 ZX10 kawi. Does anyone know what other bikes mufflers fit and will line up to our rear sets for the mount? You cant go wrong with the delkevic 900rr headers, I just want to know what I can be looking for before going ahead and getting the headers.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 08-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Here's a thread where a bunch of different options were compiled. For 900RR setup you could buy a 900RR can and bolt it on or cut the flange off and slip one on. The header OD is about 60mm so any can with an inlet around 60mm should work. You will probably have to make some sort of hanger for the can to adapt to the rearset. The possibilities are pretty endless with a little creativity.

919 Exhaust Options

I also have the Scorpion setup and really like it

post #3 of 26 Old 08-11-2010, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Braaaap

Thank you very much!! I seen your pics around this site and let me tell ya! Your bike is awesome! Thats what Im going for. So what bike is your scorpion for? Thanks again!

post #4 of 26 Old 08-11-2010, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Braaaap

I feel like a goober, but everyone one of those links, say the link is broken and doesnt work??? dang it!!

post #5 of 26 Old 08-11-2010, 07:16 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Hey Scott, I'll include a picture of my setup for you to look at. It's a full two-brothers system.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #6 of 26 Old 08-11-2010, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Braaaap

Shadow- I like! Very nice! What system is that? For which bike?

post #7 of 26 Old 08-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Thanks Z. Mine is for an 04-05 ZX-10R. I bought that one due to the shape of the link pipe. But I didn't need it anyway. All I needed was the can.

For the broken links, just take "/forum" out of the link and they will work. Kind of a PIA, but it works.

That Two Bros System on Declan's bike is really nice. Sounds really good!

Good luck. I'm sure with all your bike experience, you will come up with something cool.

post #8 of 26 Old 08-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Tirone

A short time ago the forums were revamped (recreated?).

For all of those older links just take the word "forum" out of the URL and it will work

EDIT - blah beat to the punch

post #9 of 26 Old 08-11-2010, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Braaaap

Thank you guys very much for the fast reply. IM sorry that I ask these questions, Im just super excited to get the ball rolling here soon. Both of your bikes look amazing, and Mike I just read your right up, PERFECT. Im learning on this forum every minute I look at it. Thanks again.

post #10 of 26 Old 08-12-2010, 12:28 AM
Pilus Posterior

With the low exhaust you can really add any muffler you like - all use a hanger mount of some description that you'll be able to fix to the rear peg mount or similar, possibly with a adaptor. If you are lucky the muffler will slip straight on, but if not any decent muffler shop will be able to fabricate a short piece of pipe to meet your desired position for the muffler.

As for mufflers - check out the exhaust section on Denniskirk.com outlet store - metric mufflers. You'll often pick up a new pipe cheap. Or 2Brothers site and Yoshis often have clearance pipes. A bit over $200 will get you a really nice brand name muffler.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/cm...&sort=priceasc

post #11 of 26 Old 08-12-2010, 06:09 AM
Milites Gregarius

Just to give props. When I was looking for an option to change up my exhaust, there were a lot of great setups but I thought Mike's version rocked it the best. So I followed his lead. Love the way it turned out. Looks and sounds awesome. I did have to have a union made at a local muffler shop because the header pipe and the muffler inlet were the same size. It's about 4 inches long. They found a pipe that would fit inside the muffler then stretched the other end to fit over the header. Cost $5. Got some hi temp flat black paint at Walmart and put a couple coats on. Turned out pretty well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102_0735.jpg (95.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 102_0734.jpg (92.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 102_0736.jpg (96.9 KB, 20 views)

I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!
post #12 of 26 Old 08-12-2010, 09:03 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by H919rider View Post
Just to give props. When I was looking for an option to change up my exhaust, there were a lot of great setups but I thought Mike's version rocked it the best. So I followed his lead. Love the way it turned out. Looks and sounds awesome. I did have to have a union made at a local muffler shop because the header pipe and the muffler inlet were the same size. It's about 4 inches long. They found a pipe that would fit inside the muffler then stretched the other end to fit over the header. Cost $5. Got some hi temp flat black paint at Walmart and put a couple coats on. Turned out pretty well.
Yours really turned out nice. I never, ever would have attempted it without reading over all the threads of people that did exhaust mods before. I did sweat a few bullets over if the can was going to fit without hitting the rearset. The scorpion is a little bigger in diameter than some of the longer cans. Heath did a 900RR conversion just before I did. I used his pics and superimposed a pic of the Scorpion and it looked like it would work. There's alot of smart people on this forum that helped me whether they realize it or not.

post #13 of 26 Old 08-12-2010, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Braaaap

H919rider- Didnt know you were over in this forum also, Thanks for the info!!

Allan- Great idea, Im lucky enough that I live 1 hr south of ol denny kirk so if I found something I could just run up there!!

Marylandmike- Thanks again for the pics and advice and whatnot. sure does help. Im still going through all the links you sent to get some ideas. I really like your shorter can so I think im going to go that route.

post #14 of 26 Old 08-12-2010, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Braaaap

Mike- So you didnt even need the "mid pipe" eh? Just the can, and it mount to the header then?

post #15 of 26 Old 08-12-2010, 03:36 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

it does look nice. Do you have any shots from the front/rear. I wonder if it will touch the surface while cornering

Quote:
Originally Posted by H919rider View Post

post #16 of 26 Old 08-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamZ View Post
Mike- So you didnt even need the "mid pipe" eh? Just the can, and it mount to the header then?
Yep I just cut the flange off

And it slipped right on

May just want to verify the inlet on the can you buy is 63mm. A few others (like H919Rider) have ended up with cans that wouldn't fit over the header like mine did.

post #17 of 26 Old 08-12-2010, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Braaaap

Great, and I like the pictures!! I need to do that when I get the project going. I will remember that, 63mm OD right?

post #18 of 26 Old 08-12-2010, 05:13 PM
Pilus Posterior

A option for the 3 bolt end is an adaptor - they have them here for Suzukis so you'd need to e-mail and ask for sizing etc to see if they match the Honda - it bolts right onto the flange and has a bit of pipe sticking out that fits most AM mufflers (51 mm inlets I think). Scroll down to the 3 bolt adaptors.

http://www.banditmania.co.uk/exhaust_systems_&_cans.htm

post #19 of 26 Old 08-12-2010, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Braaaap

Good call AllanB, Thank you!

post #20 of 26 Old 01-01-2011, 04:38 PM
just send it.

Garage
I know this thread is old... but I like the low mount exhaust idea and I've got a question.

Will the low mount exhaust work with the OEM center stand? Looking at the pictures above, it looks like a big fat no... but I want to be sure.

[This space for rent]
post #21 of 26 Old 01-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
I know this thread is old... but I like the low mount exhaust idea and I've got a question.

Will the low mount exhaust work with the OEM center stand? Looking at the pictures above, it looks like a big fat no... but I want to be sure.
You're correct it wont work with a center stand.

post #22 of 26 Old 01-02-2011, 01:05 PM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
You're correct it wont work with a center stand.
Thats good to know, I was thinking of doing this mod, but I like my center stand to much.

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people do in a lifetime" - Burt Munro
post #23 of 26 Old 01-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

...somebody start a fund for phobman to make a stand that works around the 900rr setup.

I'll be customer #1.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #24 of 26 Old 01-03-2011, 06:28 PM
just send it.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
...somebody start a fund for phobman to make a stand that works around the 900rr setup.

I'll be customer #1.
Then someone should figure out how to attach the phobman stand to the back of my bike so I can still have a center stand when my bike is parked at work.

[This space for rent]
post #25 of 26 Old 01-18-2011, 05:04 PM
Tirone

Hey.I got a 02 919, I got A almost new 900 two bros pipe. and got some slide clamps from A hyd hose shop that were stainless. and mounted it to where the center stand shoud have been. for the pipe. I got sato rear sets. so I got a 1/2 stick of alum.and mounted it to the. the seat bracket . it worked pretty good and quick too. also i anti seized all screws&nuts,

post #26 of 26 Old 01-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 525exc View Post
Hey.I got a 02 919, I got A almost new 900 two bros pipe. and got some slide clamps from A hyd hose shop that were stainless. and mounted it to where the center stand shoud have been. for the pipe. I got sato rear sets. so I got a 1/2 stick of alum.and mounted it to the. the seat bracket . it worked pretty good and quick too. also i anti seized all screws&nuts,
Pics? I couldn't quite envision your setup by your description....

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode