919 lives outside - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 09-15-2007, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

919 lives outside

Bought a used 2003 919, extremely happy with it. Ride everyday year round in the DC area. Unfortunately as a city dweller no garage and to lazy to cover. With the exception of regular service, any tips to give the outside 919'er a happy and healthy life. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Get a cover. Out of sight, out of mind.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #3 of 18 Old 09-15-2007, 08:15 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Get a cover. Out of sight, out of mind.
+1
And plan on doing the chain and cables(lube) more often.Weather is not your freind!

post #4 of 18 Old 09-16-2007, 03:25 AM
Duckin' for cover..

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Speaking of chains, find something to lock it to. You don't need this happening to you.

post #5 of 18 Old 09-16-2007, 04:13 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Get it up on stands if you can, and try to park it somewhere the wind won't blow it over. Cover it even if you're too lazy.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #6 of 18 Old 09-16-2007, 11:14 AM
Bikeless Rider

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

ive kept mine outside in philly for a solid year now and yeah i can def recomend a coer but i never even use mine its a hassle... its starting to show rust in tiny little places nothing to muajor, but the one thing that i can def recomend is lube, lube lube lube alot

i have to change my chain and sprockets alot because of the weather and that gets pricey

-Pat McG
post #7 of 18 Old 09-16-2007, 11:34 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

I've owned bikes when living in a condo years ago. Definitely get a cover! The least expensive overall protection.

post #8 of 18 Old 09-16-2007, 02:35 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

Ill add my 2 cents worth -
1- Cover and secure
2 - Protect your wiring, how ? You can put a very small dab or Di-eletric ( sorry about spelling, Im a public schol guy, hehe)grease on your battery posts and an even smaller dab in your connections. the connections is probally over kill, but, do the battery at least
3 - Check you tire air pressures evey time you ride - with tke constant temprature changes, your tires will loose pressure alot. This practice will ensure you are safe and that your tires will last.
4- As stated above, keep on top of your lube - chain,cables - all that stuff ?
5 - Wax, is your friend ! Keep you bike really celan to make sure you dont have any finish issues - a clean bike is a happy one !
I had my bike as my only transportation while I lived in Fla., and was unable to afford a garage. I still have that bike and Ive not had any issues with it beacuse I did a few simple things -

post #9 of 18 Old 09-17-2007, 04:43 PM

If you are really lazy like me and don't have a garage, get yourself a cycle shell. I ride onto it and pull it over the bike. Takes 10 seconds, you can lock it, nothing ever touches your bike, you can cover it while its hot, and very durable!! Check out the site!! www.cycleshell.com

post #10 of 18 Old 09-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Bikeless Rider

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

thats really nice actually but idk how my landlord and the other tenants would like that sitting in front of my building with the already limited sidewalk space due to the bike. maybe ill jsut get it and if they dont like it that can complain and ill cross that bridge when i get to it

-Pat McG
post #11 of 18 Old 09-18-2007, 01:26 AM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmicg View Post
thats really nice actually but idk how my landlord and the other tenants would like that sitting in front of my building with the already limited sidewalk space due to the bike. maybe ill jsut get it and if they dont like it that can complain and ill cross that bridge when i get to it

Pat,

I am having the same problem as you. We have a dedicated motorcycle parking spot (cement instead of asphalt). Both are not covered however, and have trees that like to drop some type of seed. I am trying to work with my apartment manager about getting some type of car storage that will fit in me spot. That cycle cover looks great. I don't use my car much so I usually park my bike in front of my car in my designated spot. It doesn't stick out that far either. Compare it to any full size truck that parks in the lot and how far they stick out.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #12 of 18 Old 09-18-2007, 07:13 AM

yeah I have to tell you I really like it. I use it all spring summer and fall and during the winter I keep the bike in my fathers garage. The cycle shell folds up and I put it in my basement. It's 100% waterproof and I actually installed a drive on wheel stand in it so all I have to do is drive on and the wheel locks in the stand and I am done. There is enough room in there to work on the bike in the rain too. Jeez.......I sound like a salesman

post #13 of 18 Old 09-18-2007, 10:45 AM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmich919 View Post
yeah I have to tell you I really like it. I use it all spring summer and fall and during the winter I keep the bike in my fathers garage. The cycle shell folds up and I put it in my basement. It's 100% waterproof and I actually installed a drive on wheel stand in it so all I have to do is drive on and the wheel locks in the stand and I am done. There is enough room in there to work on the bike in the rain too. Jeez.......I sound like a salesman

Well, you sold me. Just curious...if it is empty with the cover closed how easy is it to tip over or move due to wind.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #14 of 18 Old 09-18-2007, 12:09 PM

I have never had a problem with mine, I usually leave mine open when the bike isn't in there but I would say you should probably put some kind of weight in there if it's really windy. Or you could always just fold it and forget about it

post #15 of 18 Old 09-18-2007, 12:11 PM

P.S. I would get the middle size, the sportbike one would be too small and for the little extra money I like to have enough room for me to get in there with the 9er, to keep her company....lol

post #16 of 18 Old 09-18-2007, 01:56 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmich919 View Post
If you are really lazy like me and don't have a garage, get yourself a cycle shell. I ride onto it and pull it over the bike. Takes 10 seconds, you can lock it, nothing ever touches your bike, you can cover it while its hot, and very durable!! Check out the site!! www.cycleshell.com
Wow that's an awesome idea. I hope it's well ventilated, as you probably know any cover should be well vented for letting that moisture escape or else you're defeating the purpose.

post #17 of 18 Old 09-18-2007, 05:51 PM

It has two vents right on the top with shades over them so that water cant get in in the rain, I just had my bike repainted in the winter and I would hate to put a cover on it, I am still paranoid about scratches

post #18 of 18 Old 09-18-2007, 06:18 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Today I installed an anchor. It was challenging even with a good drill (rent one). Don't hammer directly on the allen bolt, or its sides cave making it difficult to tighten. I mounted it on the side of the walk to keep from tripping on it. Pix attached.

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode