9Likes

post #1 of 248 Old 03-28-2011, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

919 Kyle Racing Suspension

There is a lot more to come on this thread as we are documenting and entire shock rebuild as well as fork rework, but I figured some of you might be interested to see the actual rate of the OEM 919 fork spring.

In truth the spring is not as non-linear as this graph would make it appear. The lightness of the spring combined with the length of it causes it to move a little more than we would like it to and of course the massive sensitivity level of the spring rater we use feels everything. Splitting the difference it would appear the rate of the OEM springs is somewhere around 7.3Nm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 248 Old 03-28-2011, 11:53 AM
SeŮor Calamares

oooooh how exciting. subscribed....

post #3 of 248 Old 03-28-2011, 12:17 PM
The Cripple

wow, super light!

subscribed as well!

post #4 of 248 Old 03-28-2011, 04:38 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Wow, .744kg is very light.

post #5 of 248 Old 03-28-2011, 04:42 PM
Papa Bear

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

SWEEET!!!!

post #6 of 248 Old 03-28-2011, 05:17 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

shock rebuild...of the stocker?

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #7 of 248 Old 03-28-2011, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefsalad View Post
shock rebuild...of the stocker?

Of course not, the stock shock isn't worth its weight as a boat anchor...

We are going to show a complete service of an Ohlins shock

post #8 of 248 Old 03-28-2011, 06:46 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
There is a lot more to come on this thread as we are documenting and entire shock rebuild as well as fork rework, but I figured some of you might be interested to see the actual rate of the OEM 919 fork spring.

In truth the spring is not as non-linear as this graph would make it appear. The lightness of the spring combined with the length of it causes it to move a little more than we would like it to and of course the massive sensitivity level of the spring rater we use feels everything. Splitting the difference it would appear the rate of the OEM springs is somewhere around 7.3Nm

LDH,

Thank you very very much for the test and the posting of the results.
For those not aware, N/mm X .102 - kg/mm.
So these puppies are coming in at around 0.745 kg/mm equivalent.
I'm curious as to how you rig up for such a test ?
Got time for a brief description ?
Again, big thanks !
This is first quantitative 919 OEM stock spring testing I have ever come across or heard of.

post #9 of 248 Old 03-28-2011, 06:50 PM
Pilus Posterior

That explains the nose dive. Looks like they are set up for a 60kg rider!

post #10 of 248 Old 03-28-2011, 07:01 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
That explains the nose dive. Looks like they are set up for a 60kg rider!
Actually, I think they sprung the front for Moon Riding and the rear for Mars Riding.
Hmmmmm, very interesting design basis.

post #11 of 248 Old 03-28-2011, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Actually what NOBODY seems to get about Honda motorcycles (and others) is the simplest concept to grasp... The rear is oversprung to carry 2 people and if you have that much weight on the back of the bike then the front is going to be very light under normal cruise conditions. It really is that basic guys. I have never been able to fathom all the people that post on these forums saying the bikes is made for this weight rider or that weight rider. It's designed to carry the max load rating of the bike period.

post #12 of 248 Old 03-28-2011, 07:17 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Actually what NOBODY seems to get about Honda motorcycles (and others) is the simplest concept to grasp... The rear is oversprung to carry 2 people and if you have that much weight on the back of the bike then the front is going to be very light under normal cruise conditions. It really is that basic guys. I have never been able to fathom all the people that post on these forums saying the bikes is made for this weight rider or that weight rider. It's designed to carry the max load rating of the bike period.
Note how they started with 2 up springing at the back, then later went to more or less solo springing at the back, and always had a front mush setup.
Classic old school UJM setups for sure.

post #13 of 248 Old 03-28-2011, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

I won't beleaguer the fact they made the rear shock softer on later models, but what I can again tell you that few people ever mention is that the 2002 model riding solo, with less preload dialed into the shock ramp adjustment, in a true aggressive style (I.E my foot pegs are being ground off) is much more responsive and willing to be ridden hard with less protest than the later models regardless of the preload setting. It just works better for sportier riding at the expense of comfort.

post #14 of 248 Old 03-29-2011, 05:51 AM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

I am very interested. I am willing to pay to get a new shock and upgraded forks, but not until I'm convinced that it's worth it. I'm 175 lbs and ride with a 100 lb passenger about 70% of the time. My '07 is my primary transport and my girlfriend rides with me a lot. I have the shock and forks adjusted to one click/line firmer than "standard" as shown in the manual. The bike is not difficult or uncomfortable to ride. What am I missing? A grand for a shock and another grand for upgraded forks is a lot of coin.

post #15 of 248 Old 03-29-2011, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambomonster View Post
I am very interested. I am willing to pay to get a new shock and upgraded forks, but not until I'm convinced that it's worth it. I'm 175 lbs and ride with a 100 lb passenger about 70% of the time. My '07 is my primary transport and my girlfriend rides with me a lot. I have the shock and forks adjusted to one click/line firmer than "standard" as shown in the manual. The bike is not difficult or uncomfortable to ride. What am I missing? A grand for a shock and another grand for upgraded forks is a lot of coin.

And I am not going to try to talk you into buying them either. You only know what you know.

post #16 of 248 Old 03-29-2011, 08:29 AM
Optio

Garage
Subscribed. How's everything been going with the rebuild LDH?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Honda Africa Twin
2007 Honda 919
1998 Kawi ZX9R (Sold)
post #17 of 248 Old 03-29-2011, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Just fine, the hardest part is documenting the process LOTS of pics...

post #18 of 248 Old 03-29-2011, 08:44 AM
McTavish

Quote:
And I am not going to try to talk you into buying them either. You only know what you know.
ALWAYS listen to a guy who is not always telling you that you absolutely need this and that and have to buy it.

post #19 of 248 Old 03-29-2011, 08:49 AM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

I never accused LDH of being a high pressure salesman. Note two sentences in my post: "I am very interested." and "What am I missing?"

And be careful with the word ALWAYS. Every generalization is wrong.

post #20 of 248 Old 03-29-2011, 08:59 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

So how many nm should the front spring be?

How do we get there?

This is interesting.

post #21 of 248 Old 03-29-2011, 09:00 AM
McTavish

Quote:
I never accused LDH of being a high pressure salesman. Note two sentences in my post: "I am very interested." and "What am I missing?"

And be careful with the word ALWAYS. Every generalization is wrong.
My intent was not at all to imply that LDH is any kind of Hi P salesman, as everyone knows that if anything, the opposite holds true.

I just used your comment as an opportunity to say out loud that many a time (OK, not always) those not counseling buying something or not selling something are worth listening to as they opine and advise while having no vested interest.

post #22 of 248 Old 03-29-2011, 10:34 AM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

No worries mcromo. I have bought from LDH and likely will again. Too bad we can't all test ride a bike that's been resprung in order to compare.

post #23 of 248 Old 03-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Aquilifer

Quote:
but what I can again tell you that few people ever mention is that the 2002 model riding solo, with less preload dialed into the shock ramp adjustment, in a true aggressive style (I.E my foot pegs are being ground off) is much more responsive and willing to be ridden hard with less protest than the later models regardless of the preload setting. It just works better for sportier riding at the expense of comfort.
Wow. I have to digest this.

post #24 of 248 Old 03-29-2011, 11:01 AM
McTavish

Quote:
No worries mcromo. I have bought from LDH and likely will again. Too bad we can't all test ride a bike that's been resprung in order to compare.
Being able to switch back and forth is the best comparison. Doing a winter build and hopping on the new kit after many months of layoff (for us up here that is) is not the ideal way to compare.

This year I'm going to make a point of getting out with some of the other 9ers in Alberta. I know some want to try a track night.
rickard919 has an early 919 with a later rear shock.
Firedave is getting his front end done by Dan Kyle (I'm not sure what he has planned or has done about the rear)
I think Mr T81 is on a stock later model.
Mine's an 05 with a full front end build and a Penske rear.
Trusting we all trust each other, I'm envisioning some swapping back and forth.

post #25 of 248 Old 03-29-2011, 11:03 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedave View Post
Subscribed. How's everything been going with the rebuild LDH?

Firedave,

Are you one of the 9ers wanting to do at least one Track Night this year in Calgary ?
Are you already connected with Mr. T81 ?
And rickard919?

post #26 of 248 Old 03-29-2011, 11:15 AM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
I won't beleaguer the fact they made the rear shock softer on later models, but what I can again tell you that few people ever mention is that the 2002 model riding solo, with less preload dialed into the shock ramp adjustment, in a true aggressive style (I.E my foot pegs are being ground off) is much more responsive and willing to be ridden hard with less protest than the later models regardless of the preload setting. It just works better for sportier riding at the expense of comfort.
I've been saying this for a while....... my '03 with stock suspension could be pushed pretty damn hard. It never made any sense to me when people would say the bike was soft. With the stiff rear shock --- the bike also liked to turn-in quickly.

Granted....after about 70%......the rear end would wiggle/move on you pushing out of a corner, the high-speed compression at times was bone jarring, and you had to be smooth on the brakes with the softer front non-adjustable forks......

The '03 rear shock was so stiff.....that when I went with an aftermarket rear shock that was sprung for my weight...... I had to use rear ride height and drop the forks in the triples a little bit to get my quick steering back.

post #27 of 248 Old 03-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Rich

Just a little feedback on the ohlins rear shock. I ride a 2006 919 and the rear end had a tendency to 'dance around' a little in hard corners. I bought an ohlins from LDH about a month ago, and it fixed the problem. If the money isn't an issue, I would definitely recommend the ohlins shock.

post #28 of 248 Old 03-29-2011, 01:05 PM
yzarc mi os

LDH any suggestion for an update rear on a budget that doesn't include ohlins. like how bought f4i rebuild or a penske shock? an what are you doing to the front?

Common sense. So rare it's a god damn super power.
post #29 of 248 Old 03-29-2011, 03:11 PM
Princeps Prior

Ha, ha......can't wait to hear his response.

Sent from my turbo charged iPhone using Tapatalk

post #30 of 248 Old 03-29-2011, 03:21 PM
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Firedave,

Are you one of the 9ers wanting to do at least one Track Night this year in Calgary ?
Are you already connected with Mr. T81 ?
And rickard919?
1 I would love to do a track day in either Edmonton or Calgary this year. Been meaning to for a while but it's sometimes hard to get the time off since summer is also my busiest time of the year.

2 So far I've only been in contact with richard919 thru PM's

2016 Honda Africa Twin
2007 Honda 919
1998 Kawi ZX9R (Sold)
post #31 of 248 Old 03-29-2011, 03:29 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
LDH any suggestion for an update rear on a budget that doesn't include ohlins. like how bought f4i rebuild or a penske shock? an what are you doing to the front?
Ditto - I wonder if one of the new Ohlins 'budget' shocks is adaptable for the 9er. They used to produce a cheaper one without the remote canister but it has been dumped from the line-up.

A search for 919 or Honda Hornet 900 rear shocks brings up a interesting number of options - just unsure of unknown brands.

post #32 of 248 Old 03-29-2011, 04:28 PM
Cornicen

I'm no racer, but, the Ohlins rear I bought used from a member on here kept me from selling my 07. If I could get a front suspension setup that would be improved, I'm very interested in it. I consider a safety issue to have the suspension performance to be as good as one can afford to make it.

post #33 of 248 Old 03-29-2011, 04:43 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
I'm no racer, but, the Ohlins rear I bought used from a member on here kept me from selling my 07. If I could get a front suspension setup that would be improved, I'm very interested in it. I consider a safety issue to have the suspension performance to be as good as one can afford to make it.
Rest assured, a night to day type change to the front is an easy do by those knowing what they are doing with the internals. No matter what gets done, it will still be a high stiction front fork, but much can be done with the stockers. I wonder what DK and LDH are cooking up re the front, be it reworking stock internals with Ohlins bits and/or maybe even trying some cartridge that is suitable and can be stuffed in. It will be very interesting to see.

post #34 of 248 Old 03-29-2011, 06:35 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Just fine, the hardest part is documenting the process LOTS of pics...
Can't wait, looking forward to them, and thanks.

post #35 of 248 Old 03-29-2011, 08:38 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
i'm inclined to agree with LDH here as per my experiences. the shock on my 02 is stiff as all hell, but man i could push it through a corner like no tomorrow, it just stayed planted. currently running an 04+ shock and have been for a quite a while.... i've noticed that while i'm (much) more comfortable on the 919 when slabbing it or over bumps in general when in the twisties, i dont corner as well. even with the adjustment dialed in the hardest and preload cranked up a notch or two, the rear end would dance on me as i braked hard entering and throttling hard out of a corner. not too noticible on the wider sweepers but i notice it most in the 30mph and less sweepers/tight arcs/hair pen turns.

post #36 of 248 Old 03-29-2011, 08:55 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
I wonder what DK and LDH are cooking up re the front, be it reworking stock internals with Ohlins bits and/or maybe even trying some cartridge that is suitable and can be stuffed in. It will be very interesting to see.
I'll let you know how it performs, as I will be one of the first in line for it! :001_smile:

post #37 of 248 Old 03-30-2011, 04:49 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

LDH, thanks to you and DK for this, I'm sure all of the questions I've asked so far will be answered here.

post #38 of 248 Old 03-30-2011, 06:11 PM
Pilus Posterior

Interested in the thread as I ordered some Ohlins front springs from my Ohlins man in New Zealand a bit over a week ago. He's waiting on some details from me before sending them down in case he needs to alter the spacer. Time to jack up the front with one of the suggestions on WT!

I fear though if the front gets tidier the back will appear worse! LOTTO ticket time!

post #39 of 248 Old 03-30-2011, 06:19 PM
Princeps Prior

LOL.....I did the rear first....... The front then became painfully obvious!

post #40 of 248 Old 03-30-2011, 06:24 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic954 View Post
LOL.....I did the rear first....... The front then became painfully obvious!
+1, got a good deal on an Ohlins shock and it made the front that much worse. I can't wait to see what LDH and DK come up with. I've spoken with DK and LDH about this, ready to buy the parts when they've completed their analysis.
Can't wait...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode