919 incredible chain life - Wrist Twisters
 4Likes

post #1 of 55 Old 06-13-2016, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

919 incredible chain life

Hi all. Just to inform you that my 2002 silver CB900F2 has 43005 km (26722 miles). The OEM chain has finally stretched beyond the adjustment allowances. I never cleaned the chain. I only used Maxima Chain Wax, and lubed it regularly (after 500 km/300 miles or riding in the rain). I hear that getting that kind of life out of a chain is unheard of...
I have decided to go with the Drive Systems 17/44T sprocket with DID ZVM-X 520 chain as per LDH's recommendations from kyleusa.com. I can only hope to get the same life out of the after-market parts, as it seems impossible to get an OEM chain.
The only mod I have done on this bike is changed the mirrors.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 06-13-2016, 03:03 PM
Tirone

Congratulations! I sure hope my chain will last as long. Are your sprockets still in decent shape?

post #3 of 55 Old 06-13-2016, 04:36 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

I replaced mine at 23k, and it had very minor wear on the teeth. Some of the links were sticking though.

post #4 of 55 Old 06-13-2016, 04:54 PM
The Cripple

Not unheard of for a quality chain that's been taken care of and lubed.

People have gotten 30k+ miles out of quality chains with chain oilers and relatively little else.

post #5 of 55 Old 06-14-2016, 03:00 AM
Left of Centre

Get MarylandMike on here to share his chain-life stats...

post #6 of 55 Old 06-14-2016, 06:17 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post
Get MarylandMike on here to share his chain-life stats...
I'm at about 42K miles on my chain. Took a wear measurement at 40K miles and it had about 0.65% "stretch".Will check again at 50K. I switched to 17/44 at the last chain install and the wear indicators are of no use because the starting point was way forward of where it normally would be so I measure 24 links pin to pin to figure out the wear.

I use a chain oiler with 75W gear oil.

post #7 of 55 Old 06-14-2016, 10:55 PM
Left of Centre

Yeah, I'm using one of these and it works like a charm!

https://www.motobriiz.com/

post #8 of 55 Old 06-15-2016, 05:41 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Yeah, I'm using one of these and it works like a charm!

https://www.motobriiz.com/
Hey, me too!

post #9 of 55 Old 06-15-2016, 10:29 AM
The Cripple

Reviews please, that looks interesting! Might do that to my Tuono.

post #10 of 55 Old 06-15-2016, 11:03 AM
Tesserarius

What a clever guy, i mean just look what bike he's riding. great minds think alike!
badmoon692008 likes this.

post #11 of 55 Old 06-15-2016, 11:43 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

I've always been apprehensive about chain oilers that use a direct mode of application. How long does the felt last? How well is the felt fixed down that it won't get sucked into the chain? How deep is the felt/how much of the chain is it actually applying oil to? I'd be interested to see a review as well.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #12 of 55 Old 06-15-2016, 12:55 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I still haven't gotten over He never cleaned it.......

I've been known to change chains just because the old one was ugly.

post #13 of 55 Old 06-15-2016, 03:10 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

I can give a review, but it will not be unbiased There is a customer reviews page on the site, or you can google and find others.

The system works really well. Just fill the reservoir and ride. It is self priming and when you first use it it takes about 30-50 miles to for the oil to work it's way through the flow restrictor, so it's best to oil the felt pad before the first use. After that not much is required other than refilling the reservoir.

The oil starts to flow at about 40-50 MPH, so if you only ride in city stop and go traffic or trail riding on a dual sport your chain will not get much lube and you may want another solution. Usually getting over 40 MPH isn't an issue on a motorcycle. On average it puts out about 1 drop every 2 miles.

The felt pads last nominally about 5,000 miles and they attach to the chain slider with an oil resistant silicone adhesive and are very secure. The side plates will wear into the felt pretty quickly until the roller makes contact and then the wear slows way down. Since the oil is applied to the inside radius on the chain, centrifugal force distributes it to the rest of the chain. The felt is a really clean way apply the oil, but as with any continuous lube system, you will get a small amount of fling. Mine mostly is around the front sprocket area. The felts come in thicknesses from 1/4" to 5/8". 3/8" is about right for the 919

I rarely need to clean or adjust the chain. I will just wipe the chain down to clean it every couple of thousand miles. You can even squirt some WD-40 into the felt pad and go for a ride and it cleans it pretty well.

I have used motor oil, bar and chain oil, and gear oil. The bar and chain oil is a little tacky and attracts more dirt. The gear oil has worked best for me.

Overall a chain oiler is one of the best mods I have done in terms of increasing enjoyment/ reducing maintenance.

post #14 of 55 Old 06-15-2016, 08:34 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

What brand chain are you using, Mike?

The chain on the Super Duke went 20,000 miles. I've heard of guys getting 25,000+ out of the stock chain. KTM uses good parts. Recently replaced my stock chain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (279.6 KB, 14 views)

post #15 of 55 Old 06-15-2016, 08:41 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
What brand chain are you using, Mike?

The chain on the Super Duke went 20,000 miles. I've heard of guys getting 25,000+ out of the stock chain. KTM uses good parts. Recently replaced my stock chain.
I have a DID 530 VX X-ring chain and 17/44 sprockets. I think all of mine have been DID except the OEM was an RK brand. 22K was the most I had gotten from previous chains.

Your new chain looks sharp!

post #16 of 55 Old 06-16-2016, 06:33 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

^That's the chain I've been putting on my bikes since I got my Motion Pro chai tool a couple of months ago.

I figured if LDH sells it, it's the best there is, therefore cheapest in the long run.

post #17 of 55 Old 06-16-2016, 03:55 PM
Discen

My chain has 23k miles, and i don't have plans to change it. I only had to tighten it about 3 times.

ROUNDED HEADLIGHTS LIBERATION FRONT

aaaa
.. a ^aa
^aaaaa
aa ^aaa avispaoencarretera.blogspot.com.es

post #18 of 55 Old 08-10-2016, 06:04 AM
bellicose bullfeather

as the felt wears -- does it foul the chain over time ?

post #19 of 55 Old 08-10-2016, 12:07 PM
Centurion

Garage
Anybody have pics on how it looks on the bike? Where the oil reservoir is located, where the tubing goes around etc?

This contraption has caught my attention, but I wouldn't like my bike to have tubes and reservoirs taped on the bike.

Has anybody contacted them for a bulk order for WT peeps? A discount or something :P

post #20 of 55 Old 08-10-2016, 12:35 PM
Left of Centre

The oil reservoir fits under the seat, and the air pressure tube is mostly hidden by the seat and tank. The end is visible where it gets out into the air stream, but I placed mine more to the underside of the headlight shell, and don't even see it anymore.

If you search "motobriiz" on youtube, you'll find an installation video.

post #21 of 55 Old 08-10-2016, 12:59 PM
Centurion

Garage
A yes, I found the videos. I'll check them out.

Thanks !

Quote:
The oil reservoir fits under the seat, and the air pressure tube is mostly hidden by the seat and tank. The end is visible where it gets out into the air stream, but I placed mine more to the underside of the headlight shell, and don't even see it anymore.

If you search "motobriiz" on youtube, you'll find an installation video.

post #22 of 55 Old 08-10-2016, 01:40 PM
Centurion

Garage
Looking at the intake tube, I guess you can get it to activate at lower speeds by using a larger diameter tube?

post #23 of 55 Old 08-10-2016, 01:53 PM
Left of Centre

The diameter of the airway is set all the way back to the reservoir so I doubt it.

It might work to experiment with putting the end of the tube out into more air pressure, but I'm guessing the designer went through a few iterations before arriving at what we have today.

Oh, and the vendor is pretty well disposed towards WT members - my experience has been that he'll look after you, on price and service.

post #24 of 55 Old 08-10-2016, 02:14 PM
Centurion

Garage
Hmm yes, maybe you are right about the diameter...

Quote:
The diameter of the airway is set all the way back to the reservoir so I doubt it.

It might work to experiment with putting the end of the tube out into more air pressure, but I'm guessing the designer went through a few iterations before arriving at what we have today.

Oh, and the vendor is pretty well disposed towards WT members - my experience has been that he'll look after you, on price and service.

post #25 of 55 Old 08-10-2016, 04:36 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrillot View Post
as the felt wears -- does it foul the chain over time ?
You may see some felt fibers just in front of the felt pad and they eventually just fly away in the wind. I have never noticed any felt on the chain really, but I'm sure some fibers will take a short ride on the chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmin3m View Post
Anybody have pics on how it looks on the bike? Where the oil reservoir is located, where the tubing goes around etc?

This contraption has caught my attention, but I wouldn't like my bike to have tubes and reservoirs taped on the bike.

Has anybody contacted them for a bulk order for WT peeps? A discount or something :P
Most of the pics on the website install page and videos are my bike. The reservoir is only about 3-1/2"X 1-1/2"X 1-1/2" so it's pretty easy to find a spot under the seat. The inlet tube can be run any way you like as long as it is pointed forward at the front of the bike.

Quote:
Looking at the intake tube, I guess you can get it to activate at lower speeds by using a larger diameter tube?
Quote:

The air pressure is just deadheaded to pressurize the reservoir, so at a steady speed, air only flows in when oil leaves which is at a very slow rate. Changing the diameter of the inlet would only matter if the air in flow couldn't keep up with the oil out flow.

Kiwi is right, the owner really likes WT. The bastard is also sleeping with my wife. I actually invented the system a few years ago just tinkering around in my garage and decided to make a business out of it. If any WT members are interested in one send me a PM and I will make you a good deal.

post #26 of 55 Old 08-10-2016, 07:03 PM
bellicose bullfeather

another question I need to get my head around .. once the oil starts for flow when the distribution tube is filled, what is to stop the flow once gravity takes over when the bike is parked ???

post #27 of 55 Old 08-10-2016, 07:25 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
another question I need to get my head around .. once the oil starts for flow when the distribution tube is filled, what is to stop the flow once gravity takes over when the bike is parked ???
The discharge tube never fills with oil. The oil just trickles out and runs down the walls of the tube into the applicator. There is a tiny vent hole at the top of the tube as well, just in case a small column started to form. This lets air in and allows any oil below it to flow down into the applicator and any oil above it to flow back to the reservoir. This prevents any siphoning effect.

post #28 of 55 Old 08-10-2016, 09:56 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 

Nice. I have almost 13k on my 11,000# tensile EK530zzz chain using a manual oiler of my own design (cheap) and my axle is still in the front of the slots. I tried different formulas from straight WD-40 to straight motor oil and settled on a 50/50 blend of ATF and WD-40. It keeps the chain relatively clean and has less dripping than the thicker mixtures.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...ml#post1209714
post #29 of 55 Old 08-10-2016, 10:08 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

WD is probably up there as one of the worst things you can put on a chain. But atf is like the polar opposite so I guess it evens out. I'm sure there are better, less expensive lubricant options out there for you

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

post #30 of 55 Old 08-11-2016, 02:57 AM
Left of Centre

Whoops.. Here we go...

post #31 of 55 Old 08-11-2016, 05:11 AM
bellicose bullfeather

ATF.. as in Automatic Transmission Fluid ???
why not just moto chain oil ?

post #32 of 55 Old 08-11-2016, 07:25 AM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Sorry Nathat but we're not going there. We're not turning this into an oil thread. I am not saying my lawyer can whip your lawyer or my brand or type of lube is better than yours. We're not going there. My only intent is to contribute my own experience to the group. To assert that WD40 is the worst thing one can put on a chain is simply not accurate. Read this if you're interested.
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...ler-52514.html
post #33 of 55 Old 08-11-2016, 07:38 AM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
ATF.. as in Automatic Transmission Fluid ???
why not just moto chain oil ?
Good question. My oiler's drip point is right above the front sprocket. The higher viscosity oils I tried would bounce off the chain and wind up on the garage floor. I'm sure this wouldn't be a problem with the felt pad applicator. In my perception, again to each his own, the goal is to get the lube in between the pin housing and roller and thinner oil does that better. In the Iron Butt Magazine test the WD40 is thought to actually cool the chain by heat dissipation through evaporation. I witnessed this when I ran WD40 straight and would have to douse the chain every 50 miles or so of constant running. The ATF seems to cling longer without as much dripping.
post #34 of 55 Old 08-11-2016, 08:23 AM
bellicose bullfeather

innovations ..

I like and admire your innovation - it is kinda out of my range. I like to gather ideas that I can put together for my use .. I am getting the 17/44 set up from Kyle Racing as a result of some poor maintenance on my part and do want to ensure a longer chain/sprocket life.. I will probably go with the motobriiz oiler at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Phenix View Post
Good question. My oiler's drip point is right above the front sprocket. The higher viscosity oils I tried would bounce off the chain and wind up on the garage floor. I'm sure this wouldn't be a problem with the felt pad applicator. In my perception, again to each his own, the goal is to get the lube in between the pin housing and roller and thinner oil does that better. In the Iron Butt Magazine test the WD40 is thought to actually cool the chain by heat dissipation through evaporation. I witnessed this when I ran WD40 straight and would have to douse the chain every 50 miles or so of constant running. The ATF seems to cling longer without as much dripping.
ewmin3m likes this.

post #35 of 55 Old 08-11-2016, 09:53 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Phenix View Post
Sorry Nathat but we're not going there. We're not turning this into an oil thread. I am not saying my lawyer can whip your lawyer or my brand or type of lube is better than yours. We're not going there. My only intent is to contribute my own experience to the group. To assert that WD40 is the worst thing one can put on a chain is simply not accurate. Read this if you're interested.
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...ler-52514.html
Didn't mean to offend or "go there," I was just impressed that you combined a degreaser and atf and made it work. If it works, it works; can't complain about that

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

post #36 of 55 Old 08-11-2016, 02:36 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

I'm going to have to try ATF at some point. So far the best results for me are with gear oil. The chain stays clean for a long time. I usually squirt some WD-40 into the felt pad when I need to clean the chain or after I have washed the bike. WD-40 really cleans the chain nicely!

post #37 of 55 Old 08-11-2016, 02:59 PM
Centurion

Garage
Thanks for the tip, seeing as I'll be getting mine soon

I currently use https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/maxima-chain-wax.html

Do you think it'll be too thick for this application?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
I'm going to have to try ATF at some point. So far the best results for me are with gear oil. The chain stays clean for a long time. I usually squirt some WD-40 into the felt pad when I need to clean the chain or after I have washed the bike. WD-40 really cleans the chain nicely!

post #38 of 55 Old 08-11-2016, 04:50 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

I wouldn't use any type of wax lube in the oiler. It will clog up the flow restrictor. Also don't use anything in a spray can. They have carriers and propellants that will boil off and pressurize the reservoir and cause the oil to flow really fast and all at once.

post #39 of 55 Old 08-11-2016, 06:22 PM
Centurion

Garage
Good to know. You have any product suggestion?

Note I'm in Vancouver canada, which has a long rainy season... which i ride through :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
I wouldn't use any type of wax lube in the oiler. It will clog up the flow restrictor. Also don't use anything in a spray can. They have carriers and propellants that will boil off and pressurize the reservoir and cause the oil to flow really fast and all at once.

post #40 of 55 Old 08-11-2016, 06:59 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Good to know. You have any product suggestion?

Note I'm in Vancouver canada, which has a long rainy season... which i ride through :P
This is what I use mostly. 75W Gear Oil from WalMart. I'm coming uo on 45K miles on my chain and plenty of life left. We don't have the rainy season like you, but since the lube is applied continuously you should be OK.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode