919 Hornet~Reverse Bafflelectomy - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 08-20-2007, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

919 Hornet~Reverse Bafflelectomy

I recently decider to add just a lil sound to my bike.I read up on the articles posted here about the hole drilling, and the total D&C. I tried the hole drilling 1st and ya'll were right! The pfht,pfht,pfht nearly got me an extra dose of Paxil. So,I got out the hole saws, 2 1/8" and 1 1/4" and went to town.
But, right before I did the un-reverseable of pulling the pipe out by the roots, well, I left it in. You see, over the last 45 yrs I've tried every hotrod trick there is , and about 90 % 0f them are ideas thiought up on a bar stool.
After riding around with my cop baiters for several days I decided ,NO Way!!
So I reversed the D&C. I took a pair of 2 1/4" washers with 1" holes in them, put them in my lathe and turned the outside down to 2.16" with a slight bevel on one side. I drove it into the rim left by the hole saws and brazed it back air tight. This is now back to EPA and Honda approved.
I just really prefer the "Strong but Silent" approach best. I hope this helps someone else who wants to try the noise route.

[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-20-2007, 02:01 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerecord View Post
I recently decider to add just a lil sound to my bike.I read up on the articles posted here about the hole drilling, and the total D&C. I tried the hole drilling 1st and ya'll were right! The pfht,pfht,pfht nearly got me an extra dose of Paxil. So,I got out the hole saws, 2 1/8" and 1 1/4" and went to town.
But, right before I did the un-reverseable of pulling the pipe out by the roots, well, I left it in. You see, over the last 45 yrs I've tried every hotrod trick there is , and about 90 % 0f them are ideas thiought up on a bar stool.
After riding around with my cop baiters for several days I decided ,NO Way!!
So I reversed the D&C. I took a pair of 2 1/4" washers with 1" holes in them, put them in my lathe and turned the outside down to 2.16" with a slight bevel on one side. I drove it into the rim left by the hole saws and brazed it back air tight. This is now back to EPA and Honda approved.
I just really prefer the "Strong but Silent" approach best. I hope this helps someone else who wants to try the noise route.
That's pretty cool. I run Sato Ti cans now but I really thought the hogged out stock cans were way too loud. In fact.. as cool as the Sato cans sound.. man they are loud too. I really want an insert or something I can run in there most of the time.. that would be cool. I don't need silence.. but less "HEY, COPS, HERE I AM GOING FAST!" would be nice. Has to be tight and not rattle, fit in the tail pipe spout and be removable. Any ideas?

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #3 of 18 Old 08-20-2007, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase

Re:

Someone on the COG~ Concours web site found some end caps some where. They did a partial gut job and put on the new caps and looked very good with just a little more sound. They were offering to do others for $150 a pair. I may be able to find where the caps came from. May be a 1 1/2" outlet would do the trick.

[
post #4 of 18 Old 08-20-2007, 02:11 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

a set of cored stock zorsts can be bought for the cost of shipping...

i say we just take one set of community cored 919 cans and ship them around to whoever wants a demo...there's gotta be a 1/2 dozens sets layin around garages w/ all these aftermarket exhausts around

post #5 of 18 Old 08-20-2007, 02:25 PM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I donate 1 stock can for coreing, I just have to dig it up and make a note of what side.

post #6 of 18 Old 11-05-2007, 11:04 PM
Tirone

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I did the bafflectomy to my 919 and found the noise resonating inside my helmet. I bought some Drag Specialties 2" wide baffles. I then cut them down to about 2" long and had them and a washer welded to a piece of 2" long pipe. They were snug when I inserted the new contraption in the pipe, but I chose to drill and tap the new baffles into place. She sounds so SWEEEET now!!! No more resonating sounds in my helmet either.

post #7 of 18 Old 11-06-2007, 07:56 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog View Post
a set of cored stock zorsts can be bought for the cost of shipping...

i say we just take one set of community cored 919 cans and ship them around to whoever wants a demo...there's gotta be a 1/2 dozens sets layin around garages w/ all these aftermarket exhausts around

I have a complete set myself if anyone want to try them for the cost of shipping.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #8 of 18 Old 11-06-2007, 09:23 AM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mee2yoo View Post
I did the bafflectomy to my 919 and found the noise resonating inside my helmet. I bought some Drag Specialties 2" wide baffles. I then cut them down to about 2" long and had them and a washer welded to a piece of 2" long pipe. They were snug when I inserted the new contraption in the pipe, but I chose to drill and tap the new baffles into place. She sounds so SWEEEET now!!! No more resonating sounds in my helmet either.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #9 of 18 Old 11-06-2007, 09:30 AM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Any body need the throttle (right) side? Uncut. For the cost of shipping. Going to Ebay soon.

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #10 of 18 Old 11-06-2007, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase

Me 2 you

You got mail

[
post #11 of 18 Old 11-11-2007, 01:59 AM
Tirone

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCycho View Post
Sorry bout not posting pics. I've been pretty busy with buying my house and packing up the apartment....oh and the work thing too! Anyhow, I will take some pics and provide part numbers and detailed instructions as to what I did to get my exhaust where it is currently. Stay tuned.

post #12 of 18 Old 11-12-2007, 12:23 AM
Tirone

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Ok, here is what I did to sweeten up my bafflectomy so as to make it not worth replacing with an aftermarket exhaust system.
First, I carefully followed the directions given on this site to clear out all the guts of both mufflers.

Once this was accomplished, I purchased the EMGO 2" HP baffles from my nearest Parts Unlimited dealer.
Emgo HP baffles.jpeg
I also purchased 2-2" stainless steel washers and 2-6mm stainless steel nuts. I took these items to the nearest muffler shop and had them welded together.
baffle.jpeg
Once all were welded together, I cut the baffles down to about 1 1/2" long.
The longer you leave the baffles, the quieter they are, but it did seem to
lessen the performance if they were left longer. It is not necessary to wrap
the baffles in any type of wrap. Doing so caused too much back pressure
and negatively affected the performance. Once I determined the desired
length, I used a dead blow hammer to pound the new baffles into the mufflers.

Finally, I drilled a hole, aligning where the stainless steel nut was welded to the piece of pipe that baffle and washer were welded to.
baffle screw.JPG
I ran a 6mm pan head bolt through each muffler end, into the attached nut.
Here is the finished product.dual exhausts.JPG
Please PM me if you have any questions or find that I left any crucial info out.

post #13 of 18 Old 11-12-2007, 01:39 AM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

WHY DO YOU WANT IT SOUNDING LIKE AND OLD FOLKS SCOOTER???!!!

I did the baffelectomy and wouldn't go back. Everyone says it sounds good, and the cops leave me alone. You'd have to pull in the clutch and bounce it off the rev limiter to get their attention. Annnd, somtimes I might do that (Sometimes you just gotta do, what ya gotta do lol)

2 > 4
post #14 of 18 Old 11-12-2007, 04:33 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaStreetfigh View Post
WHY DO YOU WANT IT SOUNDING LIKE AND OLD FOLKS SCOOTER???!!!
Hmm, how about courtesy to neighbors when having to leave for work at 6AM? How about 1000 mile rides when you just don't want to hear your own bike's constant groan in your ears? How about you don't believe that loud pipes save lives? Or maybe we've just had many bikes in the past with loud pipes and it's time for a change!

It's just not for everyone.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #15 of 18 Old 11-12-2007, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase

???

Well now, an old folk owns my scooter, paid for it, gas,insurance, tires, and speciel tools and the time to do it all! So that's why mine sounds like an old folk's scooter!~ Cause it is one.
Now go ride your bike and quit questioning us elders!

[
post #16 of 18 Old 11-12-2007, 11:03 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Another Old Folk

Beware... there are other OLD FOLK lurking.

post #17 of 18 Old 11-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Back in the day

[QUOTE=HondaStreetfigh;143279]WHY DO YOU WANT IT SOUNDING LIKE AND OLD FOLKS SCOOTER???!!!

Well. There are many things one could say about your comment/perspective.

1. If you aren't fast you can at least be loud, that would put you in the Harley group.
2. Look at me, look at me. This would be, poor self image, using a mechanical device to cover your perceived short comings.

3. Just being a SQUID. Self explanatory. Time will cure this. Hopefully

If I choose to ride a bike that is not offensive to others that is my choice.

Your negative comments/connotation of being an old man, well I hope that you are able to ride, as fast, as far ,as often and have ridden as long, when you are my age.

I am the one that silently sneaks up on you . You never hear me coming. Just going by.

post #18 of 18 Old 11-12-2007, 04:24 PM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Mine's not too loud. If ya just shift under 3k like you're "supposed to" til you get to the open road it's really not loud at all. All of my neighbors Harleys wake you me when they go to work.

2 > 4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode