919 handling tip of the week... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 23 Old 05-07-2006, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

919 handling tip of the week...

For those of you that ride the twisties or get involved with track days. Try bumping up the forks 10 mm in the triple clamps. This mod. which reduces the trail will allow your bike to turn in faster without compromising the stability. It's fast, easy to do, and if you don't like results just return them to the stock position.

I would like to hear some feedback from those of your that try this mod.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-10-2006, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Hummm... 73 views and no repiles? Track day junkies; anyone??

post #3 of 23 Old 05-10-2006, 09:07 AM
tomvan72

I did this to mine a few months. I am not sure if I went 10mm or not. I think just 5mm. It did make a little difference but i have not tried any more. Maybe I will nexttime I am in the garge.

post #4 of 23 Old 05-10-2006, 09:25 AM

I am doing it next week before I head out to Deal's Gap. I'll let you know my thoughts afterward.

post #5 of 23 Old 05-10-2006, 09:30 AM
tomvan72

I am living in very similar terrain as Deals. I have found that in the stock setting I am much quicker on the down hill portions than on th up hill. The front end pushes more going up. Make this adjustment has helped for sure. I will try going a littl farther. How much is too much?

post #6 of 23 Old 05-10-2006, 09:34 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Go about 120mph, if it gets scary wobbly, it's too much. j/k!

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #7 of 23 Old 05-10-2006, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bock919
Go about 120mph, if it gets scary wobbly, it's too much. j/k!

Your're not too far off the mark, too little trail and the dreaded "tankslapper" could rear its ugly head.

That said; how much is too much? Two problems could occur. Scary handling as mentioned and mechanical limitations. Unfortunately when my fork springs were being changed out for Ohlins I failed to measure the physical interference distance with the forks completely compressed.
10 mm is no problem. Beyond that you are on your own!

post #8 of 23 Old 05-10-2006, 10:12 AM
tomvan72

Quote:
Originally Posted by m51142
Your're not too far off the mark, too little trail and the dreaded "tankslapper" could rear its ugly head.

That said; how much is too much? Two problems could occur. Scary handling as mentioned and mechanical limitations. Unfortunately when my fork springs were being changed out for Ohlins I failed to measure the physical interference distance with the forks completely compressed.
10 mm is no problem. Beyond that you are on your own!
That is what i meant!

post #9 of 23 Old 05-10-2006, 08:15 PM

Hmm... would you advise this for RC51 forks as well?

Kidding. If I go any lower I'll probably be tankslapping at 90.

post #10 of 23 Old 05-16-2006, 09:32 AM
tomvan72

So I went from 5 mm to 10mm and what a difference. You guys should give a try. Free mods rule!

post #11 of 23 Old 05-16-2006, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomvan72
So I went from 5 mm to 10mm and what a difference. You guys should give a try. Free mods rule!
I hope more 919 riders try this mod. It really makes a difference.

post #12 of 23 Old 05-16-2006, 09:50 AM

Hey Mike, if I am riding from chicago to jersey to the gap, would you recommend doing it for the whole trip or waiting till i get there? In other words, what effect will it have for the straights. I plan on avoiding highways at all costs but some are inevitable. thanks

post #13 of 23 Old 05-16-2006, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbetty
Hey Mike, if I am riding from chicago to jersey to the gap, would you recommend doing it for the whole trip or waiting till i get there? In other words, what effect will it have for the straights. I plan on avoiding highways at all costs but some are inevitable. thanks
Bump those forks up before the trip. Straight line high speed stability will not be compromized.

post #14 of 23 Old 05-16-2006, 10:01 AM
tomvan72

I think my bike is more stable across the board. At least from the feel of things.

post #15 of 23 Old 05-17-2006, 06:06 AM
Milites Gregarius

I tried this last night. Wow, it really seemed to make a difference. I went about 7mm and it is now much easier to initiate turns. Thanks a lot for the tip.

post #16 of 23 Old 05-17-2006, 09:24 AM
The Guy passing you...

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation BOTM Donation 
Total Awards: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigassbertha
Hmm... would you advise this for RC51 forks as well?

Kidding. If I go any lower I'll probably be tankslapping at 90.
Well this depends, have you first installed 10mm preload spacers? That should be the first thing you do. The RC comes stock with -5mm preload. You add the 10mm spacer and it takes you to a +5mm preload. This will raise the front end up but allow you to actually set your SAG correctly. With the front end raised your turn in will be much slower.

Next question: Have you raised the rear end of your bike? Yes? How much? Did you do it it with an afer market shock that has a ride height adustment or did you use shims? Roughly 5mm adjustment will give you about 15mm at the rear axle. This will make a difference in the front end.

On my RC I have stiffer springs, plus the 10mm preload spacers. This allowed me to set the SAG correctly. I have a Penske shock in the back end with a ride height adjustment to which I lengthend the shock 5mm over the stock length. My bike now sits higher than normal. The turn in my bike is not twitchy at all but not slow either and it is rock solid stable in the turns. Take your time and get the suspension set up on it and it will reward you greatly!

-Dave

"I live my life in a confused haze only to be interrupted by moments of brilliance..."

post #17 of 23 Old 05-17-2006, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evad101
Well this depends, have you first installed 10mm preload spacers? That should be the first thing you do. The RC comes stock with -5mm preload. You add the 10mm spacer and it takes you to a +5mm preload. This will raise the front end up but allow you to actually set your SAG correctly. With the front end raised your turn in will be much slower.

Next question: Have you raised the rear end of your bike? Yes? How much? Did you do it it with an afer market shock that has a ride height adustment or did you use shims? Roughly 5mm adjustment will give you about 15mm at the rear axle. This will make a difference in the front end.

On my RC I have stiffer springs, plus the 10mm preload spacers. This allowed me to set the SAG correctly. I have a Penske shock in the back end with a ride height adjustment to which I lengthend the shock 5mm over the stock length. My bike now sits higher than normal. The turn in my bike is not twitchy at all but not slow either and it is rock solid stable in the turns. Take your time and get the suspension set up on it and it will reward you greatly!
Dave- bigass is playing with us. He has the RC51 forks on a 919.

post #18 of 23 Old 05-17-2006, 09:39 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage

Hook, line, and sinker.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #19 of 23 Old 05-17-2006, 02:52 PM
The Guy passing you...

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bock919

Hook, line, and sinker.

... Nice!

-Dave

"I live my life in a confused haze only to be interrupted by moments of brilliance..."

post #20 of 23 Old 05-17-2006, 07:06 PM

Yeah, sorry. Not accustomed to non-919 owners in the predominately 919 forums. Suppose I should clarify from now on

post #21 of 23 Old 05-17-2006, 07:27 PM
The Guy passing you...

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigassbertha
Yeah, sorry. Not accustomed to non-919 owners in the predominately 919 forums. Suppose I should clarify from now on
Nah thats cool. I dont look in the forums really, I just look at the "today's Posts" nadn go from there.

-Dave

post #22 of 23 Old 07-15-2006, 04:42 PM
Milites Gregarius

I know a old post. but I done mine today. I havent got to ride it but i bumped it 11mm. I forgot how much this post said to go. I would think 1mm more wouldnt do any harm would it?

post #23 of 23 Old 07-15-2006, 04:56 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

The original post said 10mm. That's what I did to mine, and it's worked out great, especially since shortening the chain.
Use 11mm or above at your own risk. Just check clearance first, which can be hard to do without loading the front forks.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode