Got my Givi engine guard for my 919 today and installed it this evening. It was fun to work on my bike after a series of back to back to back 12 hour days, 6 days a week. 'Twill end at the end of September, and I'm looking forward to that. Anyway, just wanted to share the installation experience and show some pictures.
The crash bars came direct from Givi, and were packed very well. They were shrink wrapped in heavy plastic, no way that they could get banged up during shipping. I cut the plastic to reveal the two halves of the crash "cage", two bolts, two nuts, 5 washers, two large spacers, one small spacer, and a long threaded bolt.
The cage is made of tubular steel painted to roughly match the color of the engine. The welds are heavy and look nice. Very high quality from every angle.
Here's what it will look like when assembled on the bike:
The installation instructions were fairly minimal, basically consisting of three pictures with numbers plastered over them, and one small overview picture.
The installation went basically smoothly, although it would have been helpful to have a friend helping out, and it would have been nice to have a rear wheel stand. I started out by removing the bolt securing the exhaust to the frame behind the engine. I then removed the bolt securing the engine to the frame on the right side, using a small jack to relieve a little pressure off the mount. Not sure that was necessary. I removed the plugs in the small holes in the frame, and slid the long bolt through the frame, out the other side. I attached the front of the right cage to the frame, just tightening the nut enough to hold it on. You'll want a little flexibility. I did the same to the right side. Just remember to put the spacers in before getting it bolted on, or it's a pain trying to wiggle it in there. Don't ask me how I know. Once the spacers were in place, I put the small spacer between the connection of the cage in front, behind the exhaust, then put the first bolt in. I then put in the new bolt to replace the bolt removed from the exhaust mount. What they don't really tell you in the instructions is that you use the nut originally on the bike. The two nuts provided are used for the long bolt that slides through the frame. The other bolt (for the front) screws into the cage itself. I put blue loctite on all the bolts (except the engine mounts) and secured all the bolts, finally torquing the engine mount bolts down to spec. Pretty simple. The result is a crash guard that seems to be a much stronger solution than typical frame sliders, and looks a lot like it's supposed to be there. Here's some "after" pictures.
Right side of the bike
Closeup of the right side
Mount on the exhaust
Front profile, right, pretty slim
Front profile, left, pretty slim
Profile from the rear, plus my filthy garage
I hope to never write a real review of this product in use, so this will have to do for a review. Once it's on there, it's very solid. It would be nice to fab up some removable pegs for it to stretch the legs on long hauls. It is certainly strong enough to support your legs.