919 Givi Engine Guard - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 43 Old 09-13-2007, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

919 Givi Engine Guard

Got my Givi engine guard for my 919 today and installed it this evening. It was fun to work on my bike after a series of back to back to back 12 hour days, 6 days a week. 'Twill end at the end of September, and I'm looking forward to that. Anyway, just wanted to share the installation experience and show some pictures.

The crash bars came direct from Givi, and were packed very well. They were shrink wrapped in heavy plastic, no way that they could get banged up during shipping. I cut the plastic to reveal the two halves of the crash "cage", two bolts, two nuts, 5 washers, two large spacers, one small spacer, and a long threaded bolt.

The cage is made of tubular steel painted to roughly match the color of the engine. The welds are heavy and look nice. Very high quality from every angle.

Here's what it will look like when assembled on the bike:

The installation instructions were fairly minimal, basically consisting of three pictures with numbers plastered over them, and one small overview picture.

The installation went basically smoothly, although it would have been helpful to have a friend helping out, and it would have been nice to have a rear wheel stand. I started out by removing the bolt securing the exhaust to the frame behind the engine. I then removed the bolt securing the engine to the frame on the right side, using a small jack to relieve a little pressure off the mount. Not sure that was necessary. I removed the plugs in the small holes in the frame, and slid the long bolt through the frame, out the other side. I attached the front of the right cage to the frame, just tightening the nut enough to hold it on. You'll want a little flexibility. I did the same to the right side. Just remember to put the spacers in before getting it bolted on, or it's a pain trying to wiggle it in there. Don't ask me how I know. Once the spacers were in place, I put the small spacer between the connection of the cage in front, behind the exhaust, then put the first bolt in. I then put in the new bolt to replace the bolt removed from the exhaust mount. What they don't really tell you in the instructions is that you use the nut originally on the bike. The two nuts provided are used for the long bolt that slides through the frame. The other bolt (for the front) screws into the cage itself. I put blue loctite on all the bolts (except the engine mounts) and secured all the bolts, finally torquing the engine mount bolts down to spec. Pretty simple. The result is a crash guard that seems to be a much stronger solution than typical frame sliders, and looks a lot like it's supposed to be there. Here's some "after" pictures.

Right side of the bike

Closeup of the right side

Side profile

Mount on the exhaust

Front profile, right, pretty slim

Front profile, left, pretty slim

Left side

Profile from the rear, plus my filthy garage

I hope to never write a real review of this product in use, so this will have to do for a review. Once it's on there, it's very solid. It would be nice to fab up some removable pegs for it to stretch the legs on long hauls. It is certainly strong enough to support your legs.

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 09-13-2007, 08:56 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 

Thanks for taking the time to post it up.
Where'd you buy them?

post #3 of 43 Old 09-13-2007, 09:09 PM
Tirone

Nice job, will it have any effect on the lean you can put on in the corners at all, it looks kinda low but that could just be camera angles etc.
Maby i should get me something like that or some crash knobs at least

Go HARD or go home
post #4 of 43 Old 09-13-2007, 09:12 PM
Tirone

Opps after a second look it seems the only way your going to scrape them is to see if they really protect ur engine if you take a spill lol.......Doh

Go HARD or go home
post #5 of 43 Old 09-14-2007, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzTurbo View Post
Thanks for taking the time to post it up.
Where'd you buy them?
I got mine at RideNow.com, although they also have them for the same price at TwistedThrottle.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearwheel View Post
Nice job, will it have any effect on the lean you can put on in the corners at all, it looks kinda low but that could just be camera angles etc.
Maby i should get me something like that or some crash knobs at least
I don't think it will have an effect. The only area in question would be the left side, and as far as I can eyeball it, it's on about the same height level as the footpegs, but doesn't stick out as far, so I don't anticipate a problem. I've never ground the pegs anyway.

Another note, I personally don't have a centerstand, but I think I read somewhere that this setup is compatible with the OEM centerstand.

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
post #6 of 43 Old 09-14-2007, 04:56 AM

this is a very nice looking guards.
these are the cons i found after using it for 3 years:-
the bracket right below the oil filter will break easily.(had mine welded back twice already
the screws holding the bracket like to come loose after hi speed riding. you will subsequently hear ringing sounds resembling that of a dry clutch. maybe some thread lock will solve it.
after 3 years, some rusts are showing. the paintwork got chipped by pebbles.

and the pro, yes it does protect the engine well from an accident i had.

and one more thing i like to add, during my accident, the bike landed on its left. i had my pillion foot pegs out. not a single scratch on the engine. the left rear sets were very slightly bent inside though. i guess they work well together.
i always leave my pillion pegs out for this reason. it does save something.

post #7 of 43 Old 09-14-2007, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin View Post
this is a very nice looking guards.
these are the cons i found after using it for 3 years:-
the bracket right below the oil filter will break easily.(had mine welded back twice already
the screws holding the bracket like to come loose after hi speed riding. you will subsequently hear ringing sounds resembling that of a dry clutch. maybe some thread lock will solve it.
after 3 years, some rusts are showing. the paintwork got chipped by pebbles.

and the pro, yes it does protect the engine well from an accident i had.
Thanks for the real world test data, although sucks you crashed to get that data. I'm was thinking that several of the provided bolts may come loose, so hopefully I prevented that with the loctite. I didn't use it on the engine mount bolts because the service manual didn't show them using it...I do plan to check them every once in a while though because the 37 ft lb it took to torque them didn't seem near as much as the effort required to break them loose. I'll have to keep an eye out for chips and touch them up as needed.

- Stephen Hawking
post #8 of 43 Old 09-14-2007, 05:10 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Those look really nice, mel.

Not that we need another box for threads but, maybe one for crash reports on clothing, guards luggage, etc. Just a thought.

post #9 of 43 Old 09-14-2007, 05:58 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

My bike shook 2 sets of those things to death. Neither ever touched tarmac. They replaced the first set free. After the second set failed, I just said fug it.

I have since gone to the GSG spools and a HEAVY duty alt coner. I think I could limp home after a get-off with what I now have.

post #10 of 43 Old 10-29-2007, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

Update. The crash guard is still holding up nicely. I haven't had any of the "shaking apart" problems, although I did attach all the bolts with locktite. The one problem I have had is the spacer at the bottom of the following picture. Around 3500 RPM it starts vibrating and kind of rotating and making a loud buzzing noise (and I do mean loud). I haven't come up with a permanent solution yet, but currently a piece of electrical tape is keeping it in tact. I'd ideally like to be able to secure it without taking the damn thing off, cause it's a pain. Gonna try superglue on one side next.

- Stephen Hawking
post #11 of 43 Old 10-30-2007, 01:39 PM
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 

I've had a similar buzzing issue with the center spacer on mine, as well. Currently it's duct-taped, but of course I'd like to find a better solution. I'm thinking that silicone might be able to withstand the vibration better than superglue, which is pretty brittle.

post #12 of 43 Old 03-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Tirone

Engine Guard

What kind of quality is the hardware they supplied? The nut on the right front guard doesn't match up very well.

post #13 of 43 Old 03-18-2008, 10:48 AM
Tirone

Crash Bar

I forgot here is a picture Givi supplied so I could see the install process better. I still haven't ordered yet, undecided.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TN256[1].KN27.JPG (661.1 KB, 53 views)

post #14 of 43 Old 03-18-2008, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase

Quality is good, IMO. Some people have said they have problems, but since I used loctite, mine is still solid after many miles of use. You are right, the nuts on the frame don't really match the color of the engine hanger bolts. You could paint them, or just go to a hardware store and find some nuts that match better. Funny, I didn't even notice much until you said something

- Stephen Hawking
post #15 of 43 Old 03-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmelnick View Post
I haven't come up with a permanent solution yet, but currently a piece of electrical tape is keeping it in tact. I'd ideally like to be able to secure it without taking the damn thing off, cause it's a pain. Gonna try superglue on one side next.
Silicone RTV or caulk should do the trick better than superglue. As much vibration as the engine puts on those points, it needs to be flexible.

post #16 of 43 Old 03-19-2008, 07:33 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Givi's OK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pldavid66 View Post
What kind of quality is the hardware they supplied? The nut on the right front guard doesn't match up very well.
I've been real satisfied with mine. I've had it 4 years - no vibration, cracking, or loosening. Fasteners are just average but totally sufficient. I did cut some lengths of 3/4 inch rope to stuff in the tubes before I assembled to the bike. I'm not sure if that helped with vibration but it stoped the ringing if you would tap it with a hammer. I also used Loctite - no question there.
I found that, for easy assembly, the bike had to be on a rear stand and not on the kick stand. The frame (torque) twist due to the bike sitting on the kick stand made alignment of fasteners almost impossible...

And, the thing works well. Don't ask me how I know!

Still winter in Detroit.
Mark

post #17 of 43 Old 03-20-2008, 01:20 AM
?Tirone?

I've had nothing but trouble w/ Givi engine guards on my '05 919. They caused vibration at higher r.p.m. and eventually developed cracks in the welds. I told Givi and they sent me new ones. I haven't even bothered to install them. I posted just as a warning. It took a while for mine to develop cracks. Obviously, not everyone has the same problems I ran into. Some, apparently never develop cracks. Good luck.

post #18 of 43 Old 03-20-2008, 05:05 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Another 9er owner awhile back had the same serious issues reported by saekazir. He finally gave up after at least two replacements developed cracks.

post #19 of 43 Old 03-20-2008, 09:09 AM
No life like low life

Has anyone tried SW-Motech guards?

Knees in the breeze!
post #20 of 43 Old 03-20-2008, 09:31 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Yeah, my 919 destroyed 2 sets. I gave up. Ended up putting GSG frame sliders on along with a Circit One alt cover. Hopefully, those 2 things will get me back home after a massive get off.

post #21 of 43 Old 03-20-2008, 05:12 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Cracked welds

Has anyone figured out why the bike breaks the welds? It seems like the bike and the cage would tie together and each would strengthen the other. Is Givi and SW buying parts from Yugo Inc.?

[
post #22 of 43 Old 03-21-2008, 02:18 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

This is what's on Ol Sliver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0046.JPG (878.9 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0045.JPG (906.6 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0044.JPG (892.4 KB, 88 views)

post #23 of 43 Old 03-29-2008, 05:46 AM
No life like low life

I just received my Givi engine guard yesterday. I was thinking of filling the tubes with spray foam to deaden the vibration, maybe save the welds from cracking. Anybody think that will work, or just be unnecessary?

Knees in the breeze!
post #24 of 43 Old 03-30-2008, 12:12 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

My first set not only broke the welds, but cracked in the bends also. No cornering clearance issues. I liked the rugged, perposeful look. Reminded me of the brush guard on the front of a pick-up, or police car.

As you see from the photos, the tubes are on the thin side. Maybe some bikes just vibrate more than others. My bike spends a fair bit of it's running life above 6000 rpm. I seem to go thru a lot of light bulbs. But, I kind of think my bike is a bit smoother after I put the Satos on.

post #25 of 43 Old 03-30-2008, 04:17 PM
Red Rider

I too like the looks of this gaurd but I sure dont want to but them if no one has had any luck with them!!!

Some people live and learn and some just live!
My blood runs Honda Red......
2003 Honda 919
2004 Honda 599
1999 Honda XR650L
post #26 of 43 Old 03-30-2008, 06:37 PM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody469 View Post
I too like the looks of this gaurd but I sure dont want to but them if no one has had any luck with them!!!
Not so fast.
I've had mine on for four years with no trouble whatsoever.

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #27 of 43 Old 03-30-2008, 09:43 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Never said they were a bad product. They just didn't work for me. Harmonics is weird. The sound of certain diesel engines put drivers to sleep. Airplanes have fallen out of the sky. It doesn't look like it until you really LOOK at em, but the Givi tubes have a fairly long span. That is probably a contributing factor. Is your bike a "Shaker"?

Ask some more questions. Does Givi have a money back guarentee? Is there anything in common with bikes that have cracked them? My bike had cored factory cans at the time. I tend to run high rpm's. Is that a factor? Dig (for answers).

post #28 of 43 Old 03-30-2008, 10:48 PM
Red Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi_gray View Post
Not so fast.
I've had mine on for four years with no trouble whatsoever.
Point taken semi_gray, I guess I would just like to hear more success stories like yours! I really do think they look nicer than any others I have seen....

Some people live and learn and some just live!
My blood runs Honda Red......
2003 Honda 919
2004 Honda 599
1999 Honda XR650L
post #29 of 43 Old 03-31-2008, 11:05 AM
Tirone

I had mine on the 919 for 2 seasons and no problems. My wife has the same guard on her 599 and low sided at a track day and it held up great. A few scuffs but no cracks.

post #30 of 43 Old 03-31-2008, 05:01 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I am one of the Givi users without problems. Four seasons, but pretty easy use with (unfortunately) more straight line Detroit are riding.
If it is shaking or vibration that causes the problems then stuffing the tubes should help. I did that. But I'm more inclined to think the Givi frame can't handle the flex that the 919 bike frame can. A rider that does more aggressive miles may flex the givi frame more often beyond it's limit. Probably it's a combination of both of those.
Considering other options I really like the looks of the GSG Moto sliders on Sniper's bike better.

Mark

post #31 of 43 Old 07-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Tirone

Just installed GIVI engine guards. Once you make sense of the pictorals, the job goes pretty well. All the goods seem to be made well and the guards are pretty form fitting yet protrude enough for reasonalbe protection. I like the way they attach to the bike in a few places rather than relying on just one spot like a frame slider (particularly ones that use just the engine mount) I would think that the guards will bend and deform before bolts snap as well.

post #32 of 43 Old 07-26-2008, 02:30 PM
I killed Barton664

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

how much cash did u drop on those?

post #33 of 43 Old 12-06-2008, 07:16 PM

Sniper: Where did you get the "Circit One Alt covers"?

post #34 of 43 Old 12-06-2008, 09:04 PM
CB900 Hornet

Awards Showcase
Donation 

post #35 of 43 Old 12-07-2008, 08:18 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

There was a thread started ayear or 2 ago, trying to drum up a "group buy" on those, but I think there were just 3 or 4 of us that want for it.

It's a very nicely made piece. I hate to admit this, but it also enhances the appearence of the engine without loking gaudy.

I think I gave about $180 for it. If it ever gets me home whereas the stock piece would have failed, it'd be priceless. Be honest tho, I've never heard of that happening, so in reality, it's mostly an appearence thing.

post #36 of 43 Old 12-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
I think I gave about $180 for it. If it ever gets me home whereas the stock piece would have failed, it'd be priceless. Be honest tho, I've never heard of that happening, so in reality, it's mostly an appearence thing.
that one thread https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ighlight=italy the guy has the givi engine guards. and his bike slid for like a half a mile and there is a picture where it didnt get in the motor..

post #37 of 43 Old 12-07-2008, 04:26 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I used thread locker when I intalled mine. With the helpl of a friend I tipped the bike way over and the pegs hit long before the guard did. I suspect that If the guard ever touches the ground, I will be on my way down!

post #38 of 43 Old 03-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Tirone

Hi

Sorry to dig out the old thread.

Has anyone install Hepco n Becker crash bar?
Previously installed sliders but recently I install the bar and found that the engine vibrates a lot when exceed 3000 rpm. Did anyone experience this before?
How to resolve it?

post #39 of 43 Old 03-12-2011, 10:00 AM
The Cripple

never heard of the hepco/becker crash bar. pix?

did you check all nuts and bolts to make sure they were tight?

post #40 of 43 Old 03-13-2011, 04:32 AM
Tirone

Guess I had figured out what's causing the vibration.
This is the HnB crash bar.

The screw on the left is too long, so does not secured the engine firmly.

Will go and change another screw.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode