919 gearing. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 22 Old 08-04-2008, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Question 919 gearing.

Before I start grumbling about the gearing I would like to disclose that this is my first bike, so this could be the way all bikes are and I am just not used to it.

With the stock gearing I would be quite happy with a four speed box, 1st, 2nd, 4th and 6th would work. Or they could have spaced the gearing out more so that 6th would be more useful for cruising.

I live in the sticks, and there are a lot of stop signs on the back roads I like to ride, I usually end up doing 1st, 2ndor3rd, 6th.

So my questions are:
Is this what I should expect to find on most other bikes?
Any way to change the gearing, aside going to a 17t?
Why would Honda do this to such a great bike?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 
Total Awards: 2

With stop and go... you may find it(gearing) a bit tall,but give it a bit of time and use all the gears.What rpms are you shifting at?

Cruising I'll let her run to 4-5,000.Which I think is still a bit of short shifting.

post #3 of 22 Old 08-04-2008, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Still breaking her in so shifting when it sounds right, which is around 3k to 4k, with the occasional blast.

It may just be me because the gearing actually feels really short

post #4 of 22 Old 08-04-2008, 05:48 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Half of the fun of a motorcycle is shifting. I went down to 15t sprocket...so i can't help you, but i would suggest riding another thousand or maybe 2000 miles before changing your gearing.

post #5 of 22 Old 08-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackz View Post
Still breaking her in so shifting when it sounds right, which is around 3k to 4k, with the occasional blast.

It may just be me because the gearing actually feels really short
Yeap thats short shifting,It'll feel better as soon as you let it breath(rev limeter has a soft shut off about 10,500).

post #6 of 22 Old 08-04-2008, 07:09 PM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

huh

dude, first bike and you dont like the way this bike feels?
this is my 3rd cb900, the first two were the old cb900 customs, hi/lo gears, the 919 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better then them old timers by a long shot. enjoy the bike man, life is too short, i live in the sticks too, work is only 4 miles away, i just find a longer way so i can ride it more (doubles it, depends on the route).

my two cents.

Bill

post #7 of 22 Old 08-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Franklin McGillacutty

I'm gonna run 16/45 I like to power loft the front end plus the bike seems to stop pulling hard after 9500 in 5th.

post #8 of 22 Old 08-04-2008, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDROKR View Post
dude, first bike and you dont like the way this bike feels?

Bill
I'm not feeling unhappy with the bike, didn't mean to convey that feeling

Just feels like the ratios are stacked a bit closely, though as I said it is my first bike, and I'm not used to winding an engine out.

post #9 of 22 Old 08-05-2008, 04:05 AM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:

Just feels like the ratios are stacked a bit closely, though as I said it is my first bike, and I'm not used to winding an engine out.
You feel like the gear ratios are stacked to closely because you are shifting to soon. Get on that thing and run it up to about 6-8 thousand rpm's before you shift. You'll see a big difference. You're use to driving a car or truck that's just not capable of running rpms that high. Just get used that and you'll see a huge difference in performance as well.

post #10 of 22 Old 08-05-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvetree View Post
(rev limeter has a soft shut off about 10,500).
yah at my last track day i saw 11grand a number of times and it felt fine, just vibrated a crap load

post #11 of 22 Old 08-05-2008, 07:33 AM
I Love Parallel Twins

Wind that rascal out and you'll feel like we do about the CB900F. Between 6 grand on up it will surprize hell out of you the power builds so quick. You have been cheating yourself.
Nail it and just hang on friend!
JW

post #12 of 22 Old 08-05-2008, 07:37 AM
MuscleCar Nut

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:

Ummmmm........... seriously, before you go winding a 95hp bike out.... get a few more miles under your belt.....

Troy
67 Pontiac GTO
2003 Triumph Speedmaster
post #13 of 22 Old 08-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 3

He's still breaking her in, Boys. He'll get there.

When you do get there, Hack, you'll find that the stock gearing is fine. You're taking it easy now and that's a good thing. You'll find that your 9er will be ready for you to push her when you are ready to push. Just always push her gently and safely.

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #14 of 22 Old 08-05-2008, 10:01 AM
Isn't That Somethin'

Awards Showcase
Donation 

i felt the same way during break-in. the 9er is my 1st hiperformance street bike i was used to big cruisers but as she broke in and i became more comfortable with her i found myself cranking on her pretty good and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!completely different bike better than i could've ever imagined. just give it time and you'll realize the difference.

UT VIVANT ALII...SO OTHERS MAY LIVE
post #15 of 22 Old 08-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

As the 919 is my 23rd bike (roughly) it can be said that the first time I rode it the trans was very familiar -- most roadracers have this type of gear spacing: the closer to top gear you get, the closer the ratios get. Since the 919 is derived from the CBR900 engine, it inherited the trans ratio spread which in the context of its intended use is not ideal.

Actually, a setup similar to the early Honda Sabre and Magna, which had a sixth gear suitable for high speed running without strangling the throttle, winding out the motor, or having a first gear requiring lots of clutch slipping would be preferable. The engine was barely capable of pulling 6th, but could draft an open class sportbike to over 160 mph, really surprising them, and gave a relaxed cruise.

This could be accomplished by a 6th gear ratio of .96:1 instead of 1.13:1, but that's not what Honda did.
So, yeah, i know exactly what you're talking about.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #16 of 22 Old 08-05-2008, 03:00 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

I'm with GTO and Brev, 1st bike and new, still breaking in. Why the push to turn him into a squid? Squids and Crack dealers are the only one who want the fastest m.f. on the floor and then kill them selves in the 1st few miles.

[
post #17 of 22 Old 08-05-2008, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

It's been great reading all of the responses.

I am taking it steady, the last thing I want to do is drop the bike at speed and bollocks myself up.
I occasionally wind it up a bit when I'm on a nice road surface and it's really surprising how much the bike wants to dump me off the back :P

I'm concentrating on being smooth right now. In a car when driving at speed I am comfortable with my ability to handle "problems", on the bike I just don't know instinctively and automatically what to do, everything is taking up my concentration.
I have a lot of years of riding ahead of me, so I'm taking it slowly with the knowledge that a time will come when I can be one with the bike and really have some heavy duty fun

Thank you all for your responses

post #18 of 22 Old 08-07-2008, 06:01 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 

Quote:
It's been great reading all of the responses.

I am taking it steady, the last thing I want to do is drop the bike at speed and bollocks myself up.
I occasionally wind it up a bit when I'm on a nice road surface and it's really surprising how much the bike wants to dump me off the back :P

I'm concentrating on being smooth right now. In a car when driving at speed I am comfortable with my ability to handle "problems", on the bike I just don't know instinctively and automatically what to do, everything is taking up my concentration.
I have a lot of years of riding ahead of me, so I'm taking it slowly with the knowledge that a time will come when I can be one with the bike and really have some heavy duty fun

Thank you all for your responses
Great way to look at it,

You can(after your break-in period) slowly roll up to the upper RPM range. Use the same throttle twist you use now just shift a bit later( maybe even use a touch less throttle,just in case).It's the heavy twisting that will turn the bike into a beast ,A light to mild twist in the 5-6,000 range just lets her work.

On a side note I ran mine up to 6,000 with an easy hand all through my break-in.

post #19 of 22 Old 08-09-2008, 07:09 PM

if its the guys first bike then im all for him taking it easy but at the same time you dont have to worry about it standing up on you just from full throttle acceleration... WOT (wide open throttle) my bike can pull the front tire up after 4k rpm in first and letting the clutch out hard in second... after that it just hauls a$$ so as long as you got nothing in front of you im all for the opinion of winding them gears out... the bike is built way over kill for the mediocre power it makes so you really dont have to worry much about killing it.

post #20 of 22 Old 08-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Tirone

Wear ear plugs and don't worry about revving it too high. The plugs will let you concentrate a little more on your riding and a little less on the sound of the bike.

post #21 of 22 Old 08-11-2008, 07:29 AM
Milites Gregarius

I personally think the gearing could be a little better. I realize that the bike is intentionally set up with a close ratio transmission because that is how all sport bikes are set up to allow them to get around the race track faster. I am happy with the first 3 to 4 gears. But, I think it would be nice to have 5th and 6th geared a little higher to allow more relaxed freeway cruising. I know I'm not going to damage the engine or anything but I can't help thinking that lower rpms would reduce vibration and improve gas mileage. Unfortunately, the quick fix of a 17 tooth front sprocket will change all the ratios and not just the higher ones.

post #22 of 22 Old 08-11-2008, 12:44 PM
DaveCB919F4

I liked the 17/43 setup. I'm currently running a 17/45 setup for the finial drive. If your not drag racing or making top speed runs I think the 17/43 is great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode