919 Gas tank swap? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 06-21-2007, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

919 Gas tank swap?

I'm totally new to this forum, but, you guys seem to have a soft spot for 919's. Anybody ever do any wrenching on them? I ride an '03 (Asphalt - Matte Black) with a dented gas tank. It's in the shop now to be fixed, but, I found out that the Candy Red tank from the '06 and '07 model year is nearly $90 cheaper! Would there be any trouble installing the newer tank on my bike? I don't know of any physical changes that should matter, but, maybe you guys do. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-21-2007, 07:22 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

im not 100% sure but i think its the same. i will check it out friday at work to see if they are a match up or not.

post #3 of 9 Old 06-21-2007, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Hey, thanks 3dcycle. After reading the sob stories elsewhere on this site about how soft the red paint is, maybe I just stick with the black If you get a chance to check on it, though, that would be great!

post #4 of 9 Old 06-21-2007, 07:56 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

pretty sure that this has been done before and here is a link on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...2438159&rd=1,1

post #5 of 9 Old 06-22-2007, 05:12 PM
Milites Gregarius

one thing you can do is go to ronayers and look at part numbers for everything that attaches into the gas tank. Which now that I think about it is really only the fuel pump assembly and three hoses. I would bet the frame mounting set up is the same. The manual certainly doesn't distinguish between 02-03 and 04-06 models.

post #6 of 9 Old 06-22-2007, 05:14 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

hey checked it out appears to me that the only diff is the color.

post #7 of 9 Old 06-22-2007, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

I really appreciate all the help, everyone. I may just bid on that red tank afterall. So what do you guys think: It wouldn't look weird to have a red tank on an otherwise black 9er, would it? I tried to convince the wife that it would look good, but, I don't think she quite caught the vision. I've also found a carbon fiber from fender for the bike. This is my first foray into customizing the bike, so I could use some advice/reassurance/honest opinions. Whatcha think?

post #8 of 9 Old 06-22-2007, 07:36 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I bought my '05 (black) damaged & repaired it with red 06 tank & tail leaving the fender black. Doesn't look bad two tone.

post #9 of 9 Old 06-27-2007, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

I was this close...

I really hate that stupid "Highest Bid" feature on ebay! Who thought it was a good idea to let people automatically inflate a bid by a couple hundred bucks just seconds before the auction ends?!

Oh well...I hope someone is happy with their new candy red tank. If any of you guys ended up with it, I'll give you $25 buck over the final bid price and pay your shipping and mine!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode