919: First Impresions - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 09-04-2006, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

919: First Impresions

The rain stopped today and I was able to get out and ride. Finally! I've managed to put in about 500 miles since I bought the bike last week. Not a lot at all, but enough to get some initial impressions. Would love to hear comments, especially on the things I don't like and those where the jury is still out. Most of these opinions are a comparison of my last bike, an ST1300.

Like:
1. Inline four - smooth, quick, responsive.
2. Steering - agile, responsive, and decent feedback.
3. Brakes - stopping power! And good riddance to the linked brakes.
4. Suspension - at 170 lbs. it works fine but curious to test the adjustments
5. Ride posture - it just fits me perfectly
6. Cluster - visible, usable, intuitive, works great - nice to have analog back

Don't Like:
1. Mirrors - fail at form and function. The right one is particularly useless.

Jury is out:
1. Seat - the stock seat on the ST13 was bad and this one seems to be about the same. Too squishy. Monkey butt sets in after about 100 miles and I was squeezing my cheeks and lifting with legs to relieve the pressure points.
2. Exhaust - after the ST13 (which sounds like a horny sewing machine), this has a nice, but subdued, sound. The sound clips on the site of the Satos are a tease - really tempting to get a set.
3. Tires - the Battlaxes are OK but I was spoiled by the Metz Z6's I had previously.

I had a blast today. What a fun bike. Quick, light responsive. It is everything I wanted that the ST didn't give me. You just point it and it keeps the line waiting for the next command input.

Did have a really close call though. Coming home past a horse farm and one had escaped. He darted right in front of me from behind some trees - maybe missing me by 10 feet - he saw the bike and turned on his heels. By that time I had stopped waiting for him to pass, but was a little bothered that I couldn't see behind me well enough to know if I was going to get rear-ended and avoid if needed. Sure was nice to have such awesome stopping power. And glad that I practice quick stops a couple times a year!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-04-2006, 01:16 PM
That's right!!

sounds 'bout right to me.

post #3 of 10 Old 09-04-2006, 01:32 PM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Get some bar-end mirrors to clean up the elbow in the mirror situation. Wear that stock rubber out fast so you can get some real tires on that puppy!

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #4 of 10 Old 09-04-2006, 01:35 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

+1 on the Metz Z6.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #5 of 10 Old 09-04-2006, 04:46 PM

anyone have any experience with pirrelli scorpion syncs?... i ride in a city, dont run on the track at all and am concerned as i ride through the winter about getting by ok a slightly snowy conditions...

post #6 of 10 Old 09-04-2006, 06:00 PM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
1. Seat - the stock seat on the ST13 was bad and this one seems to be about the same. Too squishy. Monkey butt sets in after about 100 miles and I was squeezing my cheeks and lifting with legs to relieve the pressure points.
You hit everything on the head. I couldn't agree more about the seat. I was happy with it at first, but after a couple long weekends, I could see a replacement was in order. I picked up a used corbin from another member here, and I bagged my stock seat and put it in storage. I don't think I will ever use it again The corbin was well worth the money, and long rides are so pleasant now, I don't ever want to get off the bike!

Also changed out the stock bars and replaced with Renthals. Huge difference, once again on the long rides. Hands don't get numb, and I can concentrate more on riding the bike and less on trying to get feeling back to my extremities.

Enjoy the bike, man. You picked a good one.

-Joe
post #7 of 10 Old 09-04-2006, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Sounds like good advice. I'm not anticipating any really long rides from now until the end of my season (yes I'm in snowy western NY and usually do no riding Nov-Feb). I'm leaning more towards getting some Satos first!

What made you swap out the stock bars for Renthals?

post #8 of 10 Old 09-04-2006, 06:15 PM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

The stock bars didn't fit me very well. I rolled them forward and back, but I still had a pretty bad pressure point on the outside of both hands. I bought the med Renthals and they are perfect for me. I was astounded by how much vibration they dampened as well. I never realized just how bad the stock bars were until I rode with the renthals.

-Joe
post #9 of 10 Old 09-04-2006, 07:15 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I weigh about what you weigh. I like the Power Pilot tires a whole lot better than what it came with. I run my suspention with the dampner adjusted about 3/4 turn from full closed. Altho it's not a CBR by a long shot, I've found this works best for what I do. You're in for a whole lot of trouble free fun.

post #10 of 10 Old 09-05-2006, 06:35 AM
libertine

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 5

I just switched from a ST 1300 to a 919 2 weeks ago myself .
After getting used to the wind again somewhat I installed the Givi 755 wind screen I'm loving riding the 919 . For a big bike the ST is great but the 919 on twisty road is a blast. I live in NJ it's been cool and rainy the last 2 weeks but I'm getting out as much as possible and loving it.
Good luck and anyone in NJ want to go for a ride just let me know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode