919 coolant temp too low? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 11-21-2006, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

919 coolant temp too low?

I have a question for all you 9'rs out there. If your riding in 40-50 degree weather, how high up does your coolant temp gauge go when your running at steady highway speeds? I've only had my bike a few days and it's been on average 45 degrees when I've rode, but even after an hour of riding my temp gauge never goes any higher than about an eighth of an inch off the dead cold mark. I can even place my hands on the engine at stoplights without getting burned. I think it may need a new thermostat. The manual says the gauge needle should be about midway when the bike is warmed up. When you are riding in the cold, do your bikes run cool too???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-21-2006, 01:15 PM
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

Yep, sounds like it is time for a new thermostat. I had the same thing happen to me when on vacation this summer up in Maine. That sucked. I had to use duct tape to tape off about half of the radiator to get the temp up some.

post #3 of 11 Old 11-21-2006, 01:18 PM
Centurion

Sounds normal to me.

post #4 of 11 Old 11-21-2006, 01:18 PM
Immune

i've ridden my bike for 7 months now, and that's exactly how it behaves on the highway, down to that you can put your bare hands on the engine, even after an hour of riding. your thermostat is perfectly fine. this is how the bike was designed. be glad, and happy riding!

also, the bike has had 2 services, 600 and 4000, and my mechanic loves money. if there was an issue, he would have mentioned it.

post #5 of 11 Old 11-21-2006, 01:19 PM

I think your gauge is fine. When I ride in cold temps (sub 50) sometimes the needle drops below the line by the C. If it is really cold it almost drops below the C.

post #6 of 11 Old 11-21-2006, 02:10 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

You see the little notch in the line right above the C? That is where the needle will set when cold outside and moving. Condition normal.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #7 of 11 Old 11-21-2006, 02:43 PM

My Hornet seems to run very cool when at constant speed.
Traffic lights is what those bikes don't like.
Otherwise when the thing is moving, the needle is always a hair off the bottom mark.

-Alex
www.alexgelsomino.com

post #8 of 11 Old 11-21-2006, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Today I rode in the city for the first time, and after about 20 minutes of stop and go the temp reached the middle of the gauge, and when I hit the highway it came back down to the break in the line right at the c. It sounds like yours all do the same, so I guess it's fine. Thanks all!

post #9 of 11 Old 11-21-2006, 07:43 PM

I know the problem's already solved, but mine is exactly the same way. Stop and go traffic will bring it up to the middle level (the fan kicks in sometimes), but as soon as I'm on the freeway it's back to the line between C and normal.

post #10 of 11 Old 11-21-2006, 09:16 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

My 919 is only 7 months young and it runs very cold. I'd say thats normal and desirable.

post #11 of 11 Old 11-21-2006, 09:53 PM
Not so Rookie Anymore

Ditto on the cool running with my 06'... Thought my guage was broken when I bought it... but in stop in go... temps jump up to the mid line or so as expected.

Temecula, CA (So Cal)
06-919

Too often we lose sight of life's simple pleasures.
Remember when someone annoys you, that it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown ...
But it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother- upside the head...

Pass it on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode