• 1 Post By Islandboy
  • 1 Post By mcromo44
  • 1 Post By mcromo44
  • 1 Post By Cadillac84

post #1 of 19 Old 11-26-2006, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

919 clutch switch

Thought I would post this up in case it helps somebody else.

A few days ago I noticed the bike would "throttle up" when I put it in gear. The RPMs would jump from around 1100 up to 1400-1500. I had this happen once before after I changed back from Renthals to the stock bars. I found a wire off of the clutch switch, which is the switch located on the left handlebar that senses when the clutch lever is pulled in. It has two wires going to it. One of the indications the switch is not working is the bike will not start when in gear with the sidestand up, which it should do, along with the throttle up issue.

I checked the wires this time and they were both on. Got out the meter and checked the switch operation after removing the wires. The switch was erratic, sometimes making, sometimes not.

I removed the nut that holds the clutch lever screw/pin, then removed the screw/pin, and pulled the clutch lever away from the handlebar. Then I took a small screwdriver and pushed the switch out of the clutch lever assembly by pushing where the wire terminals are. It pops right out.

There are two holes in the switch. I took contact cleaner with a spray tube attached and repeatedly sprayed in the holes while exercising the switch. All kinds of junk/crud came out. Looked like old bugs, road grime, soap, etc.

The switch has worked for three days now. I think the problem is solved.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-26-2006, 08:20 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Great info. That'll help someone some day no doubt.

/start derail

With all of the useful 919 information be collected and the growing number of 919 owners in here, perhaps it's time to create a 919 Tech subforum. The Useful 919 sticky is getting pretty cramped. And searching would be easier if it was organized in dedicated subforum too. Just a thought...

/end derail

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #3 of 19 Old 11-26-2006, 08:26 AM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

Excellent post, thanks!

post #4 of 19 Old 11-26-2006, 08:50 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Great job Jim. Good info - even better you relayed it back.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #5 of 19 Old 11-26-2006, 10:51 AM
Centurion

I had a similar problem--the little finger that slides in & out of the switch got bent during a lever change & it would get stuck. I replaced the switch.

post #6 of 19 Old 11-26-2006, 11:23 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Great info. That'll help someone some day no doubt.

/start derail

With all of the useful 919 information be collected and the growing number of 919 owners in here, perhaps it's time to create a 919 Tech subforum. The Useful 919 sticky is getting pretty cramped. And searching would be easier if it was organized in dedicated subforum too. Just a thought...

/end derail
Good point Ken. Even though a majority of the naked bike members own 919's this forum is open to all naked bikes. At this time I'm somewhat hesitant to create another sub-forum specific to the 919. The Helpful How-To's now contain 8 tips including this one. It should still be easy to find. Lets see how it flies for now.

post #7 of 19 Old 11-26-2006, 02:34 PM

If I am not mistaken, here's a pic of the switches in discussion:

post #8 of 19 Old 11-26-2006, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Yep, that's it. Remove the wires, push on the end with the terminals and the switch will move left of picture once the screw is removed and the clutch lever is pulled away.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #9 of 19 Old 11-26-2006, 11:08 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Pretty sure this was covered in another thread a few months ago.. Some on had a high idle.. and fan was on even tho temp was cold. Anyone remember?

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #10 of 19 Old 11-26-2006, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCycho View Post
Pretty sure this was covered in another thread a few months ago.. Some on had a high idle.. and fan was on even tho temp was cold. Anyone remember?
Yes....https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=1859

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=1778

post #11 of 19 Old 11-04-2019, 02:59 PM
Tirone

Exclamation Check proper operation of this Clutch Safety Switch

This is a matter of extreme safety!!!

One of the checks Honda recommends is that you start the engine, raise the kickstand and put the transmission in gear. Then begin to lower the kickstand to ensure that the engine stops when the stand is lowered.

I submit that I am MOST unlikely to drive off with a lowered kickstand.

However, I AM likely to stall when making a left turn from a stop and to become FRIGHTENED and ENRAGED when the engine won't crank because the bloomin' clutch switch fails to operate!!!

I suggest a more important test which is easily done and especially important if your 919 sits out in the weather:

1) Start the engine
2) Raise the kickstand
3) Select a gear (1st is usually nice)
4) Kill the engine with the kill switch (momentary)
5) Whilst continuing to hold the clutch disengaged, attempt to start the engine.

If the engine does not start, fix the switch!! If you don't have time, short the leads at the clutch lever at least until you finish making left turns!

(Right turns if you're a Brit!)

I think, based upon my two frightening experiences yesterday, that test is much more important than whether my kickstand switch works. The last time I drove my bike off the kickstand was . . . . .

Can't remember!

post #12 of 19 Old 11-04-2019, 05:45 PM
919 Rider

I occasionally remove the clutch switch and clean it using brake cleaner. Gets grime in it.

post #13 of 19 Old 11-05-2019, 09:15 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
I occasionally remove the clutch switch and clean it using brake cleaner. Gets grime in it.
Brake cleaner is nasty stuff... I'd keep it away from wires, contacts, hoses, and, well, anything other than brakes... and even then I'd be selective. If possible find some contact or circuit board cleaner to do this cleaning. Using brake cleaner is one of those things that will probably never cause an issue, until it does.
mcromo44 and Islandboy like this.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #14 of 19 Old 11-05-2019, 10:21 AM
919 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon692008 View Post
Quote:
Brake cleaner is nasty stuff... I'd keep it away from wires, contacts, hoses, and, well, anything other than brakes... and even then I'd be selective. If possible find some contact or circuit board cleaner to do this cleaning. Using brake cleaner is one of those things that will probably never cause an issue, until it does.
Thanks for the advice regarding brake cleaner. I will look for some contact cleaner. Might buy a new switch while I'm at it. Cheers mate.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F143105575095
badmoon692008 likes this.

post #15 of 19 Old 11-05-2019, 01:00 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon692008 View Post
Yes, contact cleaner's Hexane is less nasty than brake parts cleaner, regardless of whether the brake parts cleaner is chlorinated or not.

I think that sensor cleaners are a bit more potent than contact cleaner, but are in the same league.
(sensor cleaners as used for cleaning automotive mass air flow sensors)
Islandboy likes this.

post #16 of 19 Old 11-05-2019, 03:30 PM
919 Rider

post #17 of 19 Old 11-05-2019, 03:52 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Likely A OK but I can't find any tech info on the Belray site at all.

What did pop up was a combination electrical contact and brake parts cleaner.
My guess is that it'd be weak on the brake parts cleaning side of things.

Also found some electrical contact greases.
Islandboy likes this.

post #18 of 19 Old 11-05-2019, 04:05 PM
919 Rider

Thanks mate. Looks like all major brands put out some sort of electrical contact cleaner. WD40, Permatex, Worth, Lucas, Belray etc.
I'll just pick one.

post #19 of 19 Old 11-05-2019, 06:44 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Yep, that's it. Remove the wires, push on the end with the terminals and the switch will move left of picture once the screw is removed and the clutch lever is pulled away.

Then get down on your hands and knees and look for a black cylinder about the size of a cigarette filter.

OR you could hold your hand under the hole where you removed the clutch lever and maybe be lucky enough to catch it on the way down!
Islandboy likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode