919 charcoal canister? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 67 Old 07-08-2010, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

919 charcoal canister?

OK guys i have a CA model of the 919 with the awesome appendage known as the charcoal canister. Needless to say i was wondering what the routing is like for those NON ca models... does the tank vent just hang down with the throttle body purge ports capped?

cus im thinkin bout gettin rid of it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 07-09-2010, 12:49 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

got the factory service manual? I'm pretty sure it'd be easy to figure out with that how things work on non-ca versions. I don't have it handy so I can't tell you (and the flooding is bad enough I'd rather float away in my cage)

post #3 of 67 Old 07-09-2010, 08:04 AM
Imaginifer

I believe you can just take it off and plug the vaccum line, but someone probably knows for sure. That's what I did two years ago and I haven't had any issues.

post #4 of 67 Old 07-09-2010, 08:32 AM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 

It might be overkill, but I run a filter on the overflow & vent lines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel tank breather.jpg (87.9 KB, 66 views)

Professional
post #5 of 67 Old 07-09-2010, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

well the service manual i have explains the CA model... unfortunately it doesnt say much about not having the charcoal canister.

i figured that the non ca models just have the vent tube down where all the other vent tubes are, and then all the necessary vacuum ports are capped off.

post #6 of 67 Old 07-09-2010, 10:26 AM
The Cripple

check in the helpful topics thread. plenty of info there and what exactly you need to do in order to remove the stupid thing.

post #7 of 67 Old 07-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Pull it all, cap the vacume T at the throttle bodies and let the rest hang down by the battery vent, at least thats what I did

Dan
post #8 of 67 Old 07-09-2010, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

that is what i figured.... that will give me a project... charchol canister removal, and the extra non necessary stuff for the flapper system.

post #9 of 67 Old 07-09-2010, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

ok one last question.

As far as capping off the vacuume line... can i just disconnect the lines from all 4 throttle boddies and put caps on each of the individual ones... or do all those ports need to be centrally connected? this is for the evap purge line.

post #10 of 67 Old 07-09-2010, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

ok one last question.

As far as capping off the vacuume line... can i just disconnect the lines from all 4 throttle boddies and put caps on each of the individual ones... or do all those ports need to be centrally connected? this is for the evap purge line.

post #11 of 67 Old 07-09-2010, 08:53 PM
919>food>beer

I would think as long as the vacuum is sealed you are good

post #12 of 67 Old 07-09-2010, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef View Post
I would think as long as the vacuum is sealed you are good
i just didnt know if it was designed that way so that vacume was the same on each of the tboddies... as they are all connected by that one main fitting.

i highly doubt it makes a diff where i plug it off at, hell the NON ca bikes probably 1 dont even have the nipples, or 2 are capped off individually.... maybe someone with a non CA bike could chime in?

post #13 of 67 Old 07-09-2010, 10:57 PM
919>food>beer

post #14 of 67 Old 07-09-2010, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

ya... im just saying all that says is to cap off where the red arrow points in the pic below.

I wanna cap off at the nipples (green) ... but i dunno if for what ever reason having all those vacume nipples linked by they main fitting (blue) is necessary or not on the CA models.... i hightly doubt it is, but you never kno.

Im just trying to clean stuff up in there as much as possible. Id love to see what a NON CA model is like.

ALSO, where does that hole up by the gas cap under it... the one on the left side of the hole go?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg evapHoses_CA919.jpg (108.1 KB, 69 views)

post #15 of 67 Old 07-10-2010, 06:33 AM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Thats your overflow. See post #4

Professional
post #16 of 67 Old 07-10-2010, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

thats what i figured. so any comments from non CA models in regards to my picture above?!?

post #17 of 67 Old 07-10-2010, 08:26 PM
Aquilifer

I can't find it now, but someone posted your picture and instructions on removing it.

I didn't touch anything you have circled in your photo.

post #18 of 67 Old 07-10-2010, 08:26 PM
Aquilifer

Right.
Per above, I followed these instructions:
https://wristtwisters.com/naked-bikes...html#post29960

post #19 of 67 Old 02-21-2011, 06:13 PM
Shawn

THANKS, Everyone! All my questions I was ready to ask were just answered! Of all the 919's in the world, I ended up with a California bike! Go figure! YES, that cannister is VERY UGLY! It's coming off this week!

post #20 of 67 Old 02-21-2011, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohfour919 View Post
THANKS, Everyone! All my questions I was ready to ask were just answered! Of all the 919's in the world, I ended up with a California bike! Go figure! YES, that cannister is VERY UGLY! It's coming off this week!
if you have any other questions feel free to ask... since i have removed the canister i havnt had any problems.... and it looks SO MUCH cleaner without the canister, purge valve and excess pipes all over the place.

post #21 of 67 Old 02-21-2011, 09:12 PM
Shawn

Thanks! I'll be sure and let you know how it goes. I knew something was up with this 2004 when I got it, after I noticed the silver Y-Pipe and that unsightly canister. Quickly figured out it was a California bike. Had I noticed that stuff when I looked at it, I probably wouldn't have bought it. Too much of a hassle to remove the y-pipe! I have a non-cat Y-pipe waiting to go on, just need to do it.

post #22 of 67 Old 02-21-2011, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

hey hey hey.... dont bag on the ca 919 ... just as fast as the non ca... the cat does nothing to power delivery or restriction of exhaust

post #23 of 67 Old 02-22-2011, 06:40 AM
Shawn

I know, I ride one. But the less restriction in ANY exhaust, be it bike or car or lawnmower, it will still improve flow. So to me it makes no sense adding aftermarket slip-ons and leaving the cat. When was the last time you saw a Pro car at the drag strip with cats? So no, I have nothing against Cali bikes, but wouldn't have bought one intentionally only because it will require time and patience to remove the CA restrictions and EPA stuff not required in any other state.

post #24 of 67 Old 02-22-2011, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
I know, I ride one. But the less restriction in ANY exhaust, be it bike or car or lawnmower, it will still improve flow. So to me it makes no sense adding aftermarket slip-ons and leaving the cat. When was the last time you saw a Pro car at the drag strip with cats? So no, I have nothing against Cali bikes, but wouldn't have bought one intentionally only because it will require time and patience to remove the CA restrictions and EPA stuff not required in any other state.
haha so true. where did you manage to get a non CA y pipe?

post #25 of 67 Old 02-22-2011, 09:58 AM
lusting over something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
haha so true. where did you manage to get a non CA y pipe?
...a screwdriver, a hammer, and 10 minutes of your time later....

post #26 of 67 Old 02-22-2011, 05:49 PM
Shawn

You can purchase them from any Honda dealer, but would have to have it shipped to a friend outside Cali. But here, if you order the Y-pipe for 2002-2005, they are ALL black with no cat, but the 06 & 07 are all stainless with a cat.

SO, if you find anyone parting out a 919 (like I did, right here on WT), as long as their bike has the flat black Y-Pipe, it's worth buying! This guy didn't even realize his had no cat until I mentioned it to him, then he looked and said "You're right!".

Found mine here in the classifieds from an 03. Last one I got for my 07 I found here on WT also, from a guy who bought his brand new from his Honda dealer but sold the bike before he installed it, so he sold it to me for $75 since it was still brand new in the original box from Honda.

As for punching them out with a screw driver, that's the ghetto way of doing it. You never really get it all out, and risk denting the ends and making the pipes not fit anymore. I'd just find a black one and offer the person $50 for a used one. That's a fair price only because a brand new one is only like $120.

To be sure you're getting the right one and the seller's bike is not a CA bike, just ask them what color the Y-Pipe is: black is good, stainless is bad.

post #27 of 67 Old 02-22-2011, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

eh.... im a cheap ass... rather put the 50 bucks twords gas to ride the thing... then have the extra .2 hp.

post #28 of 67 Old 02-22-2011, 06:38 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Not cheap, frugal....it sounds better.

Quote:
eh.... im a cheap ass... rather put the 50 bucks twords gas to ride the thing... then have the extra .2 hp.

Spoiler:

post #29 of 67 Old 02-22-2011, 07:17 PM
Shawn

Hey, I'm cheap too! In fact I haven't worked in over 2 years. But I prefer to do things right the first time rather than having pieces I didn't get out slowly start to clog my mufflers. Don't worry, you're not the first person to suggest this to me.

post #30 of 67 Old 03-05-2011, 08:04 AM
Shawn

It's off!
But I only disconnected the hose up to that electronic valve. Was I supposed to remove that valve too and cap off farther up like VOODOORIDR did above?

I wasn't reading the instructions very much while I was doing it. Guess I'll take it off today. But hey, at least the unsightly can is gone! Now I just need to install the Y-Pipe I bought a couple months ago!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

post #31 of 67 Old 03-05-2011, 08:08 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

That thing was unsightly. The only thing that would be useful for would be running drugs. If you are into that.

Spoiler:

post #32 of 67 Old 03-05-2011, 08:13 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

You can just cap it off at the valve and everything would be fine but doing it like that would keep me awake at night so I went all the way to the source to remove it.

Dan
post #33 of 67 Old 03-05-2011, 08:21 AM
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickard919 View Post
That thing was unsightly. The only thing that would be useful for would be running drugs. If you are into that.
Oh, great! You just divulged our secret to any LEO's who read our posts!

post #34 of 67 Old 03-05-2011, 08:30 AM
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
You can just cap it off at the valve and everything would be fine but doing it like that would keep me awake at night so I went all the way to the source to remove it.
I know what you mean! So I just need to cap off the upper end of the throttle body purge tube and simply unplug the EVAP purge control solenoid?

Thanks! I'll do that today.

post #35 of 67 Old 03-05-2011, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
I know what you mean! So I just need to cap off the upper end of the throttle body purge tube and simply unplug the EVAP purge control solenoid?

Thanks! I'll do that today.
yup. you can cap it off at the solenoid if you want, but why not take the time to get rid of all the tubing and get 4 small individual vac caps and cap it off at the throttle bodies?

post #36 of 67 Old 03-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Shawn

I'm lazy! After taking my tank off last night, I'm not ready to pull it off again. But I will. Yesterday it was almost empty, today it's full. So I just removed the valve and plugged the hose for now. I'll cap the 4 throttle body things in the next couple days.

I'm probably trippin, but it SEEMS like it runs better and has more power all of a sudden! But I'm probably on crack! Everyone has already said there is no performance difference. Guess what I feel is psychological.

post #37 of 67 Old 03-05-2011, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
I'm lazy! After taking my tank off last night, I'm not ready to pull it off again. But I will. Yesterday it was almost empty, today it's full. So I just removed the valve and plugged the hose for now. I'll cap the 4 throttle body things in the next couple days.

I'm probably trippin, but it SEEMS like it runs better and has more power all of a sudden! But I'm probably on crack! Everyone has already said there is no performance difference. Guess what I feel is psychological.
what u will notice, as i did today.... dont get shit vacuum caps for the 4 individual nipples.

got on my bike and noticed it wasnt idiling quite right, thought eh its been 2 weeks since i have been on her... must just be me... then out in the twisties i noticed engine braking was a lil less... so i stopped took off my helmet and went... gosh it sounds a lil louder than normal... look at the vacuum caps... every one is split down the side, causing 4 vacuum leaks.

btw, when u got the tank up you should look at taking all the extra vacuum crap off for the flapper valve, and replacing the 4 way T with a 3 way

post #38 of 67 Old 03-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Shawn

Quote:
btw, when u got the tank up you should look at taking all the extra vacuum crap off for the flapper valve, and replacing the 4 way T with a 3 way
Thanks! I'll do that! I installed those pairs block-off plates on my last bike, but since I don't have aftermarket slip-ons on this bike I'm not going to worry about them. But I will cap off a bunch of emission crap since they don't test bikes in Washington.

That sucks about your vacuum leaks! What a bummer, especially way out in the twisties away from home or an auto parts store (I'm guessing).

I always buy those really thick ones. Hey, do you recall the size you needed for the 4 you installed?

post #39 of 67 Old 03-05-2011, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Thanks! I'll do that! I installed those pairs block-off plates on my last bike, but since I don't have aftermarket slip-ons on this bike I'm not going to worry about them. But I will cap off a bunch of emission crap since they don't test bikes in Washington.

That sucks about your vacuum leaks! What a bummer, especially way out in the twisties away from home or an auto parts store (I'm guessing).

I always buy those really thick ones. Hey, do you recall the size you needed for the 4 you installed?
thats the thing i bought really thick ones, i just think they were cheap ass rubber. It didnt really bother me to have them leaking... i still beat the hell outta her, i was just glad the cap on the 4 way T wasnt leaking... as that would cause the FPR to get a horrible reading, and really mess stuff up haha.

This time round i got nice vinyl ones. they were 1/8th and they had to stretch a lil (all 4 nipples at the throttle bodies and the one nipple for the flapper valve at the 4 way T are all the same...) you could just get a 3 way T or keep the 4 way and cap it off.

5/32nds would probably be the proper size... but 3/16ths would be too big, and 1/8th works.

post #40 of 67 Old 07-20-2013, 07:11 AM
Aquilifer

Quote:
thats the thing i bought really thick ones, i just think they were cheap ass rubber. It didnt really bother me to have them leaking... i still beat the hell outta her, i was just glad the cap on the 4 way T wasnt leaking... as that would cause the FPR to get a horrible reading, and really mess stuff up haha.

This time round i got nice vinyl ones. they were 1/8th and they had to stretch a lil (all 4 nipples at the throttle bodies and the one nipple for the flapper valve at the 4 way T are all the same...) you could just get a 3 way T or keep the 4 way and cap it off.

5/32nds would probably be the proper size... but 3/16ths would be too big, and 1/8th works.
Nd4spd, where did you get your vinyl caps? How are they fairing now?

Nd4spd and others, quick couple questions to make sure I'm on the same page with this.

For an easy removal of the can, essentially disconnect all the tubes from the can, remove can, reroute tubes, excepting the one tube that goes to the valve, which you actually just remove, and cap off, like in this photo, yes?

When capping off at the throttle body, do you actually have to remove the entire tank? or will a propping up be sufficient? I don't think i know where the throttle bodies are/ever identified them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode