919 Centerstand - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 07-30-2007, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

919 Centerstand

I got my centerstand in today from Twisted Throttle. It took about 3 minutes to install,except for the everloving duel springs. None of my spring installing tools would do the trick. So I wound up with 1 3/4 springs hooked up. If I ever throw the small spring that last 1" I'm afraid it will bend the studs where they hook up. Did any of you use just the large outer spring?

[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-31-2007, 10:30 AM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Try putting on the spings before you run the bolt through the center stand.

Then play with different positions and you'll find a sweet spot where the springs require the least amount of tension, then run the bolt through. I did this myself on mine, but with a buddy you can have it installed properly in just a couple of minutes.

Ranger919er

Terrorism is a disease. Rangers are the cure.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-31-2007, 12:38 PM
Gearhead

Put both springs on at the same time.
Used a real small deep well socket with extension that just fit over the stationary stud and let the spring ends loop over the socket. Then leveraged the spring ends up onto the stud.

post #4 of 7 Old 08-01-2007, 08:43 AM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

If you can find someone with a tool used for installing brake springs on car drums, I found that tool to be helpful when I put the centerstand on my 919.

post #5 of 7 Old 08-01-2007, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

CenterStand

Thanks for the replies. I've installed several springs on brakes and centerstands both. I have the brake tool and a couple of homemade ones. Unless you've tried to install the German made one from Quick Throttle you don't understand the problem. The top factory stud has to be hooked 1st, because the clearance there barely allows the spring to slid between it and the frame bracket. No room for the spring and tool at all. The 2 studs are not in line with each other. When you hook the top 1st and try stretching to the bottom stud it pulls the spring at such a wide angle the top flies off,out of the groove.
So the only way I could do this job was get a long screw type radiator hose clamp. Wrap it around the top spring and stud, and tighten it all up against the bracket. Then stretch the spring with the tool.
It's just not lined up as close as the Honda stand. But, on the Honda you have to break the exhaust system apart.
Maybe the hose clamp can help someone else later.

[
post #6 of 7 Old 08-01-2007, 09:46 AM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerecord View Post
Thanks for the replies. I've installed several springs on brakes and centerstands both. I have the brake tool and a couple of homemade ones. Unless you've tried to install the German made one from Quick Throttle you don't understand the problem. The top factory stud has to be hooked 1st, because the clearance there barely allows the spring to slid between it and the frame bracket. No room for the spring and tool at all. The 2 studs are not in line with each other. When you hook the top 1st and try stretching to the bottom stud it pulls the spring at such a wide angle the top flies off,out of the groove.
So the only way I could do this job was get a long screw type radiator hose clamp. Wrap it around the top spring and stud, and tighten it all up against the bracket. Then stretch the spring with the tool.
It's just not lined up as close as the Honda stand. But, on the Honda you have to break the exhaust system apart.
Maybe the hose clamp can help someone else later.
I have installed both the factory and the SW Motech, and both will install the way I described. Put the bolt through last, after you've connected the springs.

Ranger919er

Terrorism is a disease. Rangers are the cure.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-01-2007, 11:22 AM
Church of the Holy Smoke

First off.. why install the springs at all.. just keep the center stand for maintenance. Put on when ya need to get rear wheel off ground or want bike upright, etc.. take off and ride without that hideous chunk of metal dangling under your bike. It's dead weight man! Second, you don't have to break exhaust to use OEM Honda stand. Takes about 10 minutes to fix it so you can install it and remove it in about 30 seconds.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode