919 broken throttle assembly - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 06-07-2012, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
just send it.

Garage
919 broken throttle assembly

I'm not quite sure if throttle assebly is the correct term, but I'm going to run with it.

A couple weeks back, I put new grips on my niner to replace the old foam grips that were badly worn out. Apparently foam grips help with the vibs in the bars according to the PO. Anyways, I pull the old grips off and I notice there is a chunk of the plastic piece underneath about the size of a nickel. It looks like the bike was dropped on it's side and a chunk of the throttle assembly was chipped off at the end. I looked at it, thought well that sucks, and decided to put my new Progrip grips on anyways because it never caused any problems before.

Now fast forward to today. The grips have been on a few weeks and we are in peak riding season. The new Progrip grips are tackier than the foam grips which seams to cause the throttle to stick, or drag when returning back to a closed position.

Is there anything I can do short of replacing the whole assembly? I'm assuming that others have had this problem, or something similar.

I can provide pictures during my lunch break if anyone needs a visual.

[This space for rent]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-07-2012, 08:41 AM
Qex
What goes here?

I have a similar issue to this. I call the white plastic tube the throttle tube. I dont know what the heck the official name is for it either. The honda parts diagrams have this listed as GRIP. R. It is shows #10 in the diagram as a two part pair with the right grip and the throttle tube.

HANDLE LEVER - SWITCH - CABLE Honda 919 (CB900F) 2003 OEM Parts - Cheap Cycle Parts

If your throttle is sticking there may be more than the grip dragging on the handle bar through the broken part of the throttle tube. Cables could be binding or the throttle tube binding on the bar or in the starter/run switch housing it attaches to.

'02 919 PCIII, Two Bros, Sargent, Ohlins, and some other stuff.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-07-2012, 09:45 AM
The Cripple

1. Make sure the end of the grip is not catching on the switch housing.

2. Make sure your cables are not binding.

3. Make sure your cables are lubed.

4. If you can get the grips off without damaging them, do so and inspect for wear spots or telltale signs of wear.

post #4 of 13 Old 06-07-2012, 09:55 AM
McTavish

A
Buy a new throttle tube.
B
Buy a new throttle tube.
C
Cut off the broken end nice and square, use a pipe cutter if handy otherwise another tool.
Cut off the missing length from another busted throttle tube.
Butt them up against each other.
Do a wrap of tape to hold them together.
I would use wide high quality thick clear packing tape (not the thin crap that tears so easily).
Carefully get the grip back on.

post #5 of 13 Old 06-07-2012, 10:16 AM
I WANNA RIDE!

One tip I've used to remove grips without cutting them is to pull up the inside lip of the grip and use a short blast of air from a compressor using a blow gun under the grip. It will expand the grip and it will come right off.

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Love my BIG BOY Toys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyb900
One tip I've used to remove grips without cutting them is to pull up the inside lip of the grip and use a short blast of air from a compressor using a blow gun under the grip. It will expand the grip and it will come right off.
^+1. Works like a champ for removing grips

1999 Honda Valkyrie Interstate
2011 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero*
2004 Honda 919 *
2005 Harley Davidson Road Glide *
2002 Honda VTX 1800C*

* SOLD *
post #7 of 13 Old 06-07-2012, 11:00 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Buy a new throttle tube.
C
Cut off the broken end nice and square, use a pipe cutter if handy otherwise another tool.
Cut off the missing length from another busted throttle tube.
Butt them up against each other.
Do a wrap of tape to hold them together.
I would use wide high quality thick clear packing tape (not the thin crap that tears so easily).
Carefully get the grip back on.
he's assuming atm, he doesn't know for sure and until then, why buy a replacement? He doesn't really seem that pressed yet to take it back apart and see if it is actually the grip itself that is binding on the broken section of the throttle tube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyb900 View Post
It really depends on the grips themselves. Overall its a great trick and works well most of the time.

post #8 of 13 Old 06-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

combine the air blast with some window cleaner.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #9 of 13 Old 06-07-2012, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
just send it.

Garage
Yeah. I took a better look at it on my way home and it seems like grip is actually dragging on the plastic housing with the starter button and not the bars.

Sent from my bulletproof G2

[This space for rent]
post #10 of 13 Old 06-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
Yeah. I took a better look at it on my way home and it seems like grip is actually dragging on the plastic housing with the starter button and not the bars.

Sent from my bulletproof G2
Cut a piece of slick flat plastic like a doughnut and put on in front of the grip. Trying to re-adjust the grip may not work, as it might eventually work it's way back towards the housing anyway. With a slip in place, it won't matter how tight it gets, the plastic will keep it from binding.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #11 of 13 Old 06-07-2012, 11:08 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
called it

post #12 of 13 Old 06-08-2012, 02:36 AM
Princeps Prior

Dupoint teflon dry wax lube helps. Or change the bar end weight. When inchanged grips that happened. My weights were not helping either. They would push the grip to the side and drag. When i installed vibranators, that problem went away

post #13 of 13 Old 06-09-2012, 05:59 PM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

cheaper here and not on back order

Hammond Indiana, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Sea-Doo, Can-Am, Polaris, Ski, Tucker Rocky, Parts, ATV, Motorcycle, UTV, Accessories, Apparel,

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode