919 brakes ... again - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 08-12-2007, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

919 brakes ... again

Yes, I have read all of the previous posts about the infamous 919 brake howl, and none of the suggested remedies worked.

Several months after I did my 954 front brake swap, I began experiencing the "howling" of the front brakes - mostly at lower speeds and under normal braking. Since this problem seems to occure frequently with the 919, and the only 919 parts that I have left in my front braking system are the rotors, this leads me to believe that they may be the problem.

While researching new rotors, I noticed that Galfer and EBC both list the same part numbers for replacement rotors for the 919 and F4i.... BUT, when looking at OEM rotors on RonAyers.com, the 919 and F4i have different part numbers. So what I am wondering/curious about, is if I replace my front rotors with OEM F4i rotors, will I have any fitment issues? (My guess is no, but hopefully someone else has a more informed answer)

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-12-2007, 04:09 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

My own experience with this problem was that flushing the lines and adding new brake fluid did the trick. But if you are in the market for some Galfer waves for the front, check here.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Milites Gregarius

I have also been dealing with this problem. A couple of days ago I flushed all the brake fluid out of my front brakes and replaced it with new fluid, the howl never went away. I am taking it back to the dealer and suggest they try new brake lines. It seems that it is in that little T-fitting that splits the lines to the calipers. If it has an restriction on one side it could cause the fluid pressure to vary between calipers and even pulse that difference back and forth under light braking, and this would of corse cause a harmonic howl.

post #4 of 7 Old 08-12-2007, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

I have cleaned everything with brake cleaner, I have flushed/bled the whole brake system on several occasions, I am running Galfer brake lines, I have tried brand new EBC and OEM brake pads, I have tried using Brake Quiet on the pad backings, I have applied caliper grease to the pistons to ensure they aren't sticking in any way - none of which has helped at all. And like I stated in my earlier post, the only parts of the original 919 brake system that I still have on there are the rotors. All of this leads me to believe that the rotors are the problem.

post #5 of 7 Old 08-12-2007, 06:40 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Weird, my brake system is stock other than the Galfer lines, and even before I installed them I never experienced any brake noise.

post #6 of 7 Old 08-12-2007, 06:43 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyccologicc View Post
I have cleaned everything with brake cleaner, I have flushed/bled the whole brake system on several occasions, I am running Galfer brake lines, I have tried brand new EBC and OEM brake pads, I have tried using Brake Quiet on the pad backings, I have applied caliper grease to the pistons to ensure they aren't sticking in any way - none of which has helped at all. And like I stated in my earlier post, the only parts of the original 919 brake system that I still have on there are the rotors. All of this leads me to believe that the rotors are the problem.

Well that sucks! I've been dealing with honda warranty, and boy are they slow.

post #7 of 7 Old 08-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Someone posted on here a short while ago that putting on SS brake lines it what stopped it on his. I beleive that several people replied saying that they had stainless lines and theirs didn't make noise either.

Mine are all stock and the front is as quiet as can be but the rear squeeeels like a pig. I'm thinking about the SS lines.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode