919 Bar end mirrors - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 06-05-2017, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Fox

919 Bar end mirrors

I'm looking at doing bar end mirrors but it seems there's alot that goes into them and getting your bars setup. I want to do the CRG 3" mirrors, but every method I seem to come across involves deleting the stock bar weights causing vibration. I think I am going to get Renthal Black bars which I have heard? are long enough you cut off the extra. I was wondering what my best course of action would be. I'm not really planning on lane splitting so I don't think I'll get the folding mirrors for the extra money, plus if you put them inboard of any bar end weight the won't fold anyways.

1 Renthal bars, put controls on, leave enough bar to clamp the mirrors to then stuff factory weights and bar ends into the Renthal bars. (don't know if this will even work)

2 Renthal bars, put controls on and use the Rhinomoto bar ends with the groove to take the clamp on mirrors.

3 Renthal bars or stock bars install adapter and mirrors into end of bars. This option provides no bar weight at all so I'm concerned it would be a rough ride.

There's not a ton of info for the 919 out there and compared to my last 2 bikes, both Yamaha, the bars, weights, and mirrors are so much different.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-05-2017, 06:29 PM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delasangre View Post
I'm looking at doing bar end mirrors but it seems there's alot that goes into them and getting your bars setup. I want to do the CRG 3" mirrors, but every method I seem to come across involves deleting the stock bar weights causing vibration. I think I am going to get Renthal Black bars which I have heard? are long enough you cut off the extra. I was wondering what my best course of action would be. I'm not really planning on lane splitting so I don't think I'll get the folding mirrors for the extra money, plus if you put them inboard of any bar end weight the won't fold anyways.

1 Renthal bars, put controls on, leave enough bar to clamp the mirrors to then stuff factory weights and bar ends into the Renthal bars. (don't know if this will even work)

2 Renthal bars, put controls on and use the Rhinomoto bar ends with the groove to take the clamp on mirrors.

3 Renthal bars or stock bars install adapter and mirrors into end of bars. This option provides no bar weight at all so I'm concerned it would be a rough ride.

There's not a ton of info for the 919 out there and compared to my last 2 bikes, both Yamaha, the bars, weights, and mirrors are so much different.
I took out my bar weights to fit cheap ebay bar end mirrors. The vibration loosened the mirror so much that it went flying on the freeway. I plan to just cut my factory bar weights so they can fit with the bar end mirrors. I think this forum will help you out.
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...9-a-30922.html

Just ride!
2006 Honda 919 (my baby)
1990 GS500 (POS first bike)
2015 Honda Grom (City destroyer)
post #3 of 14 Old 06-05-2017, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Fox

That forums helps a little but doesn't answer alot. On my bike I can grab the weight and twist 360 degrees and pull it in and out about 1/4 of an inch. Assuming I lathe down the weight that's not a stable platform at all. Is my bike broken or am I missing something?

post #4 of 14 Old 06-05-2017, 07:18 PM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
your bike is not broken. There is a a black metal clip that holds it in place. This one 53108-KR3-940 RING $3.99

peel the left handlebar grip back and you'll see a little hole. That's where the clip rests.

I think i just used pliers to yank them off. Be prepared to wrestle them out. You will destroy them in the process. For the right side you need to take off the throttle tube

Just ride!
2006 Honda 919 (my baby)
post #5 of 14 Old 06-05-2017, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Fox

So with new or proper clips on the internals it all stays rock solid on the end of the bars?

post #6 of 14 Old 06-05-2017, 07:34 PM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
No I'm pretty sure they are supposed to move in and out. I believe that the rubber o rings are what makes them move. Here is my bar weight

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Just ride!
2006 Honda 919 (my baby)
post #7 of 14 Old 06-05-2017, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Fox

That's what I thought. So all those people talking about cutting down their stock weights to take a mirror are crazy. I'm almost thinking about getting Renthal bars and threading them m16 for the Yamaha style bar ends. I just don't like the wedge style.

post #8 of 14 Old 06-08-2017, 02:23 PM
Optio

Garage
I have Renthal Medium bars and CRG mirrors attached to Renthal bar end adapters. I have 0 issues with vibration and I am not running weights. I recommend that route.

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
post #9 of 14 Old 06-08-2017, 03:02 PM
Tesserarius

when the "bars" are hollowed out from stock, you do feel some buzzing.

VintageHunter
"always looking for that next find".
1984 Yamaha Seca 400
1984 Honda CB125
1987 Yamaha RZ350
Various Yamaha YSR50, YSR200, YSR80
1986 Honda 500 Interceptor
1998 Yamaha R1 (first original R1)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250
1997 Kawasaki ZX7
1989 Honda GT650 Hawk
1989 Honda CB-1
2007 Honda 919
2001 Honda CBR F4i

post #10 of 14 Old 06-08-2017, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsitarski View Post
I have Renthal Medium bars and CRG mirrors attached to Renthal bar end adapters. I have 0 issues with vibration and I am not running weights. I recommend that route.
Sweet, this is more or less the setup I was going to run. You went Renthal adaptors vs clamping them right to the bar?

post #11 of 14 Old 06-09-2017, 09:44 AM
PB

I put on Renthals and then installed tapped vibranators into the bars. That gave me a threaded end into which I screwed the ring onto which the bar end mirrors mounted. I have 0 buzz in my bars and the mirrors don't vibrate either.

Moto-Elite ? Moto-Elite Folding Bar End Mirrors

It looks like Vibranator is out of business, so that's a bummer. But those mirrors are nice and they come as a pair, so they're cheaper than CRGs.

post #12 of 14 Old 06-09-2017, 01:14 PM
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delasangre View Post
Sweet, this is more or less the setup I was going to run. You went Renthal adaptors vs clamping them right to the bar?

That is correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
post #13 of 14 Old 06-09-2017, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsitarski View Post
That is correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forgive me but what adapters because I can't find Renthal adapters, only Rhinomoto or the CRG ones.

post #14 of 14 Old 06-09-2017, 02:03 PM
Tesserarius

pretty sure i have no bar weights, renthal road mediums, ebay bar end mirrors (so everytime you tip the bike over you don't have to sacrifice your first born to afford replacement mirrors) and it's never bothered me.. maybe i just don't know what i'm missing, by all means do it the right way. but imho it might be more trouble than it's worth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode