919 bar end help - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 06-08-2006, 08:02 AM
jwill123

919 bar end help

I bought some bar end mirrors and in order to put them on, I have to take out the stock bar ends. I unscrewed the bolt and took out the end. Inside the bar is the metal "lock" or holder. How the h-e-double L do you get those things out! I can't put these new mirrors in until I get them out. Looks like some kind of lip on the edges, but those snap off if not careful (oops). Can anyone tell me how to get the stock bar end metal pieces out of the handlebars (stock bars too)? Thanks.

jwill123
02 919'er

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-08-2006, 08:06 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Paging Mike, paging Mike.

BTW, welcome to the site.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 17 Old 06-08-2006, 08:14 AM
jwill123

Well thank you sir. Glad to be here. Looks like this is where the cool kids are, so glad to be aboard. Hope someone can help with my "issue", if not, I'll just try the sledgehammer method. Have a good one.

post #4 of 17 Old 06-08-2006, 08:16 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Mike and a few others here have done it and can tell ya. Don't ask Bigdaa, he'll use a blowtorch.

Be patient.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #5 of 17 Old 06-08-2006, 08:17 AM
tomvan72

Check 919 dot o r g
might be something there.

post #6 of 17 Old 06-08-2006, 08:19 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim
Paging Mike, paging Mike.

BTW, welcome to the site.
Here I is... I just posted this how-to in another thread. Pleasae read our forums...
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=1291

post #7 of 17 Old 06-08-2006, 08:26 AM
jwill123

Awesome, that was a quick answer! Mine are internal, so no clamping on the outside. Looks like I'll need new grips, as I have to take those off to get out the insides. Guess I mine as well splurge for the new bars and grips, then put on the mirrors. Only other way I see it is to buy new grips and plug em back on the stock bars. Thanks for the help, I'll look for that "button" to push. Mucho apprecianado amigos.

post #8 of 17 Old 06-08-2006, 08:33 AM
tomvan72

If you go with new bars, the Renthal ultra lows are a good choice and the bar ends that are recommended will allow bar end mirrors to mount directly to them.

post #9 of 17 Old 06-08-2006, 08:35 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwill123
Awesome, that was a quick answer! Mine are internal, so no clamping on the outside. Looks like I'll need new grips, as I have to take those off to get out the insides. Guess I mine as well splurge for the new bars and grips, then put on the mirrors. Only other way I see it is to buy new grips and plug em back on the stock bars. Thanks for the help, I'll look for that "button" to push. Mucho apprecianado amigos.
No need to destroy the left grip, just pry it up gently and squirt a little soapy water in there. The right side throttle assembly just slides off the bar.

post #10 of 17 Old 06-08-2006, 09:50 AM

If the moderator will allow me to post a 412.0 KB Word file, I have an instruction sheet with photos that shows how to do it step-by-step.

post #11 of 17 Old 06-08-2006, 10:02 AM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by m51142
No need to destroy the left grip, just pry it up gently and squirt a little soapy water in there. The right side throttle assembly just slides off the bar.
wd-40 works too... ya just have to make sure you clean it good (409 probably) before you go for reinstall

Mitch
'83 Suzuki GS750E
'02 Honda 919
post #12 of 17 Old 06-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBurns
If the moderator will allow me to post a 412.0 KB Word file, I have an instruction sheet with photos that shows how to do it step-by-step.
Send the file to [email protected] and I will put it on my 919 webpage. If we post it here chances are it will get buried in the naked bike forum.

Welcome aboard...

post #13 of 17 Old 06-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Compressed air works really good for getting a grip off. Kinda reminds me of instructions to the old lady:
Peel her back, blow on it, don't let it shoot off and hit ya.

post #14 of 17 Old 06-08-2006, 12:05 PM

Grip removal - Aerosol hairspray. Its a technique I have used many times with mountian bike handgrips. Take a thin screwdriver and carefully slide it about halfway up under the grip, then lift it up and spray a healthy dose in there. Remove the screwdriver and you will be able to wiggle the grip off easily.

No need to clean them when re-installing, just use a little more hairspray, it will slide on and then give it a few hours (in the sun helps) and the stickiness of the dried spray will hold that thing on strong.

post #15 of 17 Old 06-08-2006, 03:40 PM
Tirone

Air will take the the grip off in two seconds then I just used a screwdriver and the innards came right out. Wasn't too tough.

post #16 of 17 Old 06-08-2006, 06:00 PM
jwill123

Thanks guys, I used a little cable lube (since I had it on hand with the long sprayer to fit in the grip) and a screwdriver. Both came off easier than ever. Used hair spray to put back on. Mirrors are on and 919 is looking good. Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback on how to get that crap out of the inside bar. late.

post #17 of 17 Old 06-08-2006, 07:55 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxRC
Air will take the the grip off in two seconds then I just used a screwdriver and the innards came right out. Wasn't too tough.
I had somebody show me the air trick and have used it every since. Too slick. Doesn't matter what is was put on with.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode