919 baffle-ectomy - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 06-04-2010, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Steve

919 baffle-ectomy

Do any of you guys who have done the de-baffleing on your stock 919 cans remember the procedure? Ratdogs old write-up has disappeared. It's been up there for years and then when I need it it's suddenly gone.

Thanks,
Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-04-2010, 01:09 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

something about a large hammer, duct-tape, and some JB Weld.

If memory serves me correctly (haven't done it myself but have read about it) use a hole saw to cut out the inside part, then use a hammer and drift to knock out the center tube.

post #3 of 14 Old 06-04-2010, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Steve

lol Yeah, that's bout all I remember too. Couldn't remember if you are only supposed to knock out the center tube or what. Maybe one day I'll be able to afford some decent slip-ons but it will be a while. Thought I'd try the cheap route first n see what kinda sound I can get outta the stockers.

Steve

post #4 of 14 Old 06-04-2010, 01:21 PM
?Tirone?

use 1 1/8 BI-METAL (i bought wrong ones and suffered) hole saw to cut a hole around the center tube, then use ? 2in ? (exact size provided when i get back to the house) to remove the flange which supports the center pipe. Remove "washer" created from using both hole saws. Get flashlight, use long deisel-a$$ screwdriver to break the weld spots which still hold in the center pipe. Once center pipe out, file rough edges from using ? 2in ? hole saw, vacuum and/or use magnet to remove metal shavings from exhaust, paint now-filed edge w/ high temp exhaust paint. allow time to dry, enjoy the new noise.

this is the way i did it to my '05 a couple weeks ago. Hope this helps.

post #5 of 14 Old 06-04-2010, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Steve

saekazir, yes it does help, appreciate that! So how do you like the new sound? too loud? not loud enough?......

Steve

post #6 of 14 Old 06-04-2010, 02:25 PM
?Tirone?

exact hole saw sizes are 1 1/4 and 2 1/8. I do like the new sound, loud but not to loud. It sounds like a 900 class sportbike instead of a ninja-quiet something-smaller in cc. in my opinion.

post #7 of 14 Old 06-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Tirone

I debaffled mine last year. I've been enjoying it ever since.It sounds like a real 919cc now. The only downside is that my ears are ringing inside the helmet at 2500 and at 4000 rpm.Other than that it's all cool.I love the backfiring when you roll off the throttle suddenly.I'm wondering though if I should have the ECU remapped? Any ideas,advices?

post #8 of 14 Old 06-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Pilus Posterior

No point in remapping it - it is only a mild opening of the pipe. Plus the bikes run a bit rich anyway so no harm will be done. The popping etc is just the air injection system (PAR) and now it's louder you can hear it.

If you consider that the freer flowing aftermarket straight through slip-ons are designed to be installed with no alterations what you have done is relatively mild.

If however you are flush with money you could always PC3 and remap - even a 100% stock system would be slightly improved due to the huge range of general conditions and regulations the stock settings had to meet! Debatable if you'd notice any difference on a stock bike though!

post #9 of 14 Old 06-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Gets censored

Take a look at jays thread he likes it and it was cheap, good write up.... or just buy some slip ons.

Couldn't help it.

post #10 of 14 Old 06-12-2010, 07:54 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Mayday ? Just a warning. i may be getting old but I found a de-baffled niner to be just as loud as Two Brothers and I do not like the resonance it creates in my helmet. At all. I say save your greenies until you can get some proper cans.

But it's your bike and I understand. Have fun.

post #11 of 14 Old 06-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Milites Gregarius

Is there any loss/gain in performance by removing the baffles?

post #12 of 14 Old 06-12-2010, 10:28 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbanke1 View Post
Is there any loss/gain in performance by removing the baffles?
According to dyno runs even aftermarket slip ons don't really produce much gain unless they are REALLY loud, and can cause a slight shift in the powerband upward. A baffelectomized pipe has even less effect, and will cause the resonances at certain revs I've heard so much about.

Increased power? Most reports stem from wanting to hear the beautiful (or awful. It depends on who you ask) noise, so shifts are later and throttle twist is greater.

Another aspect to consider is that many 919 owners who install slip ons or do a baffelectomy eventually want to go back to stock. It may be because they are starting to notice everyone is mumbling a lot more than they used to.

I consider it the same as fitting a 15 tooth countershaft sprocket (stock is 16 teeth). There is a high WAHOOOOO! factor, but it gets old quickly when used on a day to day basis.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #13 of 14 Old 06-12-2010, 11:02 PM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by drebnija View Post
I debaffled mine last year. I've been enjoying it ever since.It sounds like a real 919cc now. The only downside is that my ears are ringing inside the helmet at 2500 and at 4000 rpm.Other than that it's all cool.I love the backfiring when you roll off the throttle suddenly.I'm wondering though if I should have the ECU remapped? Any ideas,advices?
Welcome drebnija
This will eliminate backfire
https://wristtwisters.com/naked-bikes...tallation.html

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #14 of 14 Old 06-13-2010, 05:14 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

I have a set of de-baffled cans I would be willing to trade for a set of stock cans, I'll even ship them first so your bike doesn't have to be down, send me yours once you've swapped them out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode