• 2 Post By Islandboy
  • 3 Post By LDH
  • 3 Post By voodooridr
  • 1 Post By Pvster

post #1 of 20 Old 02-22-2017, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Chicken Strips

Garage
919 Air Filters

Going to replace my air filter this spring, I found this one on the interweb "HiFloFiltro Air Filter for Honda CB900F 919 02-07 HFA1916" what kind does everyone use. Not looking to spend over $50 on a K&N these go for around $20-$25 ONLINE

07' 919 - In Progress

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-22-2017, 01:09 PM
Optio

Garage
OEM or K&N. Both are trusted and proven. Drop the cash on a K&N and never replace another air filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
post #3 of 20 Old 02-22-2017, 01:17 PM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
I use OEM

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Just ride!
2006 Honda 919 (my baby)
1990 GS500 (POS first bike)
2015 Honda Grom (City destroyer)
post #4 of 20 Old 02-22-2017, 01:35 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Oh CRAP, I don't remember the last time I checked the air filter, guess I should do that

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Dan
post #5 of 20 Old 02-22-2017, 01:58 PM
919 Rider

Get a OEM. Tried a K&N filter and it make my low speed crappy. As soon as I put a OEM filter in bike immediately ran a lot smoother. I noticed the difference in low speed, low revs. I looked at the Hi flow because they are cheaper than OEM, but I wasn't too sure if they are built identical? In the end I paided a little more for a OEM filter that will last for years.

post #6 of 20 Old 02-22-2017, 02:35 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
Oh CRAP, I don't remember the last time I checked the air filter, guess I should do that

+1!

post #7 of 20 Old 02-22-2017, 04:42 PM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
When i changed mine there was rat s*** in it!!

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Just ride!
2006 Honda 919 (my baby)
1990 GS500 (POS first bike)
2015 Honda Grom (City destroyer)
post #8 of 20 Old 02-23-2017, 03:07 AM
919 Rider

That is why you need this..."ACME Rat Excluder".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170223_115719-1_1487847873320.jpg (102.1 KB, 33 views)
marylandmike and ewmin3m like this.

post #9 of 20 Old 02-23-2017, 06:19 AM
Josh

Garage
You might consider BMC filters as well. They are not as well known as K&N, but from the few reviews on here they seem to do OK. For me though, I'll stick with OEM unless I do a pipe and PC3.

post #10 of 20 Old 02-28-2017, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Chicken Strips

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Get a OEM. Tried a K&N filter and it make my low speed crappy. As soon as I put a OEM filter in bike immediately ran a lot smoother. I noticed the difference in low speed, low revs. I looked at the Hi flow because they are cheaper than OEM, but I wasn't too sure if they are built identical? In the end I paided a little more for a OEM filter that will last for years.
I had my buddy order hi flow $20 isn't bad I'll let all know how it works once the weather gets nicer and I put it in. It looks very similar to stock so I am expecting the same performance.

07' 919 - In Progress

Dan
post #11 of 20 Old 02-28-2017, 01:13 PM
919 Rider

Dano. When your Hi flow filter turns up would you mind posting a few pics of it? Thanks mate.

post #12 of 20 Old 02-28-2017, 02:46 PM
Centurion

Garage
You have any more of those?

Group buy for that nice cap?

Quote:
That is why you need this..."ACME Rat Excluder".

post #13 of 20 Old 03-02-2017, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Chicken Strips

Garage
Quote:
Dano. When your Hi flow filter turns up would you mind posting a few pics of it? Thanks mate.
I will take some pics for you tonight. My buddy that I got it from says he sells tons of Hi Flows with no bad feedback. FYI he sells mainly on ebay about $30k volume per month US.

07' 919 - In Progress

Dan
post #14 of 20 Old 03-02-2017, 10:57 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
^
^
^
This guy just gave all of you the golden information and yet you completely ignore him and just proceed on... He is also not the first to determine that the aftermarket filters are a source of low-speed and steady state fueling issues on the 919 (among other bikes as well). I have even mentioned it in my older articles on air filter tuning http://www.rc51.org/airfilt.htm

Some people claim this is not a problem on their bike and they have never felt any problems at all and I will not refute that possibility in that they have experienced no ill effects whatsoever, but I have personally rode more than one 919 with Aftermarket Air Filters that had fueling problems and the real truth was the owners were completely oblivious to the problem. They either were not astute enough to recognize the problem or maybe bought the bike that way and just didn't know any better, but there was definitely an issue that they were putting up with needlessly.

Additionally I have on many other bikes witnessed Aftermarket Air Filters cause dips in the performance in all or part of the rev range and because the problem did not manifest itself as a hesitation or stumble etc the owner was again oblivious to the fact they had actually lost performance.

In the end I really don't care what air filter you use or if you gain or lose horsepower etc. Not my bike so it makes no difference to me, but I do want people to be aware that there is more to these products than is traditionally mentioned in a forum setting.

post #15 of 20 Old 03-02-2017, 11:03 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Dan
post #16 of 20 Old 03-02-2017, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Chicken Strips

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
^
^
^
This guy just gave all of you the golden information and yet you completely ignore him and just proceed on... He is also not the first to determine that the aftermarket filters are a source of low-speed and steady state fueling issues on the 919 (among other bikes as well). I have even mentioned it in my older articles on air filter tuning ROGUE Aftermarket High Flow Airfilter questions page

Some people claim this is not a problem on their bike and they have never felt any problems at all and I will not refute that possibility in that they have experienced no ill effects whatsoever, but I have personally rode more than one 919 with Aftermarket Air Filters that had fueling problems and the real truth was the owners were completely oblivious to the problem. They either were not astute enough to recognize the problem or maybe bought the bike that way and just didn't know any better, but there was definitely an issue that they were putting up with needlessly.

Additionally I have on many other bikes witnessed Aftermarket Air Filters cause dips in the performance in all or part of the rev range and because the problem did not manifest itself as a hesitation or stumble etc the owner was again oblivious to the fact they had actually lost performance.

In the end I really don't care what air filter you use or if you gain or lose horsepower etc. Not my bike so it makes no difference to me, but I do want people to be aware that there is more to these products than is traditionally mentioned in a forum setting.
I will see if there is a difference once I install it and ride it. I have had K&N Filters in other bikes of mine, UNI Filters also and they worked good. The Hi Flow construction looks good, for $20 I will give it a try and if it is crap I will let everyone know.

07' 919 - In Progress

Dan
post #17 of 20 Old 03-02-2017, 03:31 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
I will see if there is a difference once I install it and ride it. I have had K&N Filters in other bikes of mine, UNI Filters also and they worked good. The Hi Flow construction looks good, for $20 I will give it a try and if it is crap I will let everyone know.
Sure go ahead. Meanwhile I'll just trust an accurately measured a/f ratio via dyno over your butt dyno (or any one else's). It's been proven time and again. Oem is best for this particular application.
badmoon692008 likes this.

post #18 of 20 Old 03-03-2017, 07:12 AM
McTavish

I just resurrected a thread that deals with BMC vs OEM air filters in a 919 based on dyno runs.

post #19 of 20 Old 02-05-2019, 12:14 PM
WERA481

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
I just resurrected a thread that deals with BMC vs OEM air filters in a 919 based on dyno runs.

Where is that thread??

post #20 of 20 Old 02-14-2019, 06:44 AM
The Instigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkraft View Post
Where is that thread??

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums...9-a-25051.html

2007 919
2003 CBR1100XX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode