919 a bit 'buzzy'? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 09-18-2006, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

919 a bit 'buzzy'?

I finally had a chance to take a 919 for a test drive yesterday and although the bike felt great it also vibrated more than I thought it would. For the record I just rode a 599 the day before and one of my previous bikes was a ZRX1200R so I have ridden inline 4's before. When I mentioned the vibration to the Bike shop they said that the 599 is actually a smoother bike. When I asked them if the 919 would smooth out with a few more miles on it they said not really. The main problem area was in the handlebars, is there a good way to reduce that? I wanted to love the bike, and I did like it a lot, but now I'm not sure and I'm thinking about taking an FZ6 for a spin...

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-18-2006, 02:18 PM
Honda Addict

Aftermarket bars like such as Renthals, Coerce, Suburban Machinery take out a lot of the vibes.

I have Renthals on mine and it made a HUGE difference in the bar vibes. Not too expensive either. You can get them at DennisKirk.com for $62 plus shipping. A bargain for the result you get.

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-18-2006, 02:36 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

The dreaded "buzz!" Keep in mind all inline 4's will buzz, it's a nature of the beast. The 600's exhibit this trait except at a much higher RPM's. If you think a FZ6 does not buzz you are mistaken, I owned a R6 for 5 years. If you are use to stump pulling torque the 600's will leave you flat.
Like razor mentioned, a quality aftermarket thick wall aluminum bar will reduce the vibes. The key here is reduce not eliminate.

post #4 of 13 Old 09-18-2006, 03:31 PM
tomvan72

After ridding dirt bikes and such I dont even notice any buzz. I have the renthals and their bar ends. My bike is plush! I even let my mom ride it.

post #5 of 13 Old 09-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

I have a question for anyone that wants to answer:

If I4's buzz, then what engine type would be smooth?

I rode an in-line twin for years and the 9er is way smoother. Seems that a V-twin would really get things shaking. I guess my buddies VFR (V4) is pretty smooth but the V4 engine configuration is only available in a handful of bikes. Thoughts?

--

m51142,

Also, I recently installed a Trail Tech bar clamp, X-Bars and gauge computer on my '06 Polaris Predator. The Trail Tech bars are 1 1/8" and taper to 7/8" on the ends. Huge improvement on the vibes there. Until now, I wasn't real interested in swapping bars on the 9er. The thick walled aluminum X-Bars are bad assed and I am now convinced I want the same for the 9er. I have noticed that the Rizoma bars make the same taper.. from 29mm to 22mm & use a 40mm riser or 60mm riser. I was wondering if you had the measurements of those bars as well? Plus, what was the link where you had the various bar dimensions again? I really like the tapered bars. I can post pics of the X-bars on the Predator if anyone wants to see how bad assed it is?

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #6 of 13 Old 09-18-2006, 04:45 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Engine designs are "rated" on primary and secondary balance issues. As far as motorcycles go, the BMW boxer setup (two opposed cylinders) is the only "perfect" primary balance.
Inline 6, V12 and some others have the primary balance covered.

Secondary balance refers to ability to balance kinetic energy, etc. Gets very technical and takes into account momentum, etc.

And lastly, flywheels play an important part in the equation.

I don't think the V4 gained popularity because of the maintenance headaches. They are a dog to work on while frame mounted.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #7 of 13 Old 09-18-2006, 05:50 PM
DropBear 9

Hey Ivabign..
Sorry.. I always wanted to blurt that out!...

AAanyway.. Yes that buzz you feel is normal for a lot of inline 4's and the for the 919 in particular because of the re-tuning to bring performance down into the lower rev ranges.
As stated, after market 'bars will make a huge difference.
The Renthal Ultra lows for eg, all but elimintate the 4 - 5k buzz that most annoyingly sets in at highway speeds. They do, however seem to bring in a little more vibes at lower revs, but the frequency is low enough that it's not numbing in any way.

As for smooth motors.. Personally I think the inline 4s are quite smooth, in fact that was a major selling point for the old CB750 when it came out, it's just that the frequency of the vibes you do get tend to be just high enough to be a bit on the numbing side and as such are more noticeable in the long run.
That said, I also have an old VF400 (V four obviously) and I'd say it's about as smooth as an internal combustion engine can be. The only vibes I ever feel from it tend to be a very mild buzz in the footpegs at about the 7 - 8k mark. And I only tend to notice that if the road surface is particularly smooth too. Man that thing is a lot of fun to chuck around!

Quote:
They are a dog to work on while frame mounted.
You got that right! even changing plugs makes for a good chance to practice your Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance..

post #8 of 13 Old 09-18-2006, 06:04 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

I'll chime in here. What else is new

I came from one of the smoothest motorcycle engine I've ever been on - the ST1300's V4. The counterbalancers on that baby really do their job. Honda did amazing things with that engine. About the only motor I've seen that is even smoother is the GL1800 straight six. Now, while that ST13 V4 was really smooth and pretty peppy, it was also quite bland. There's something to be said for higher rev's, a little buzz and the excitement of the IL4. Not to mention the sound. The ST13 sounds like George Jetson's car, a horny sewing machine. Great bike. Very smooth. Very dependable. But some would say that it's so smooth that it lacks soul. Guess it depends on whatever floats your boat -- if you're doing 1000 miles days, that GL or ST are the perfect ride.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-18-2006, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks!

I wanted to thank everyone for their input, has anyone tried gel grips or the heavier bar ends to reduce the problem?

post #10 of 13 Old 09-18-2006, 10:54 PM
ro7939

clear silicone sealant/adhesive

Filling the handlebars of any bike w/ clear silicone sealant/adhesive will quell vibrations, especially those of a higher frequency buzzing as from a 4-cyl bike.

You will be shocked at the difference; less weight vs. lead inserts. It's puzzling why this is not considered a universaly standard motorcycle feature, right up there w/ round wheels & tires.

My 2c. Let us know how it works.

Correction Ken: the Gold Wing is & has always been a flat or horizontally oppossed motor, earlier a 4, now a 6.

Not too many straight 6 bikes: CBX, an Italian bike whose name slips my mind, the KZ1300, the GP winning Honda 250cc, maybe a couple more...never rode a Wing, but the smoothest running bike motor I've sampled, far & away, was the CBX. I still lust after that black bike, w/ the Honda OEM sport kit & a Denco or some other brand 6-1 header: blipping the throttle at stop lights, w/ it's instaneous response (tiny flywheel mass & pistons, hi-rate firing order) is as close to an orgasm as you'll get w/ yer clothes on...Porsche tuned within an inch of its life comes to mind....

post #11 of 13 Old 09-19-2006, 02:02 AM

It's a 900 hornet, I just expected mine to buzz as it flies.........

post #12 of 13 Old 09-19-2006, 03:40 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro7939 View Post
Correction Ken: the Gold Wing is & has always been a flat or horizontally oppossed motor, earlier a 4, now a 6.
You are absolutely right. Great motor. And enough torque to pull a tree stump.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-19-2006, 04:15 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCycho View Post
m51142,

Also, I recently installed a Trail Tech bar clamp, X-Bars and gauge computer on my '06 Polaris Predator. The Trail Tech bars are 1 1/8" and taper to 7/8" on the ends. Huge improvement on the vibes there. Until now, I wasn't real interested in swapping bars on the 9er. The thick walled aluminum X-Bars are bad assed and I am now convinced I want the same for the 9er. I have noticed that the Rizoma bars make the same taper.. from 29mm to 22mm & use a 40mm riser or 60mm riser. I was wondering if you had the measurements of those bars as well? Plus, what was the link where you had the various bar dimensions again? I really like the tapered bars. I can post pics of the X-bars on the Predator if anyone wants to see how bad assed it is?
Link for Handle bar dimensions. Top of the Naked Bike forum,
Helpful Topics for new 919 owners:

I will email PJFZ1 and request the Rizoma dimensions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode