919-929 throttle bodies? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 76 Old 08-05-2008, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
DaveCB919F4

919-929 throttle bodies?

Has anyone here preformed this mod? I ride my bike to work everyday rain or shine and love it. I take to the drag strip on Wensday nights ($20 run as much as you want) and it's a real hoot. I've played with gearing and found a 17/45 launchs best for me. I weight 215 and I run 11.5s at 119mph. I think a little more air would get me some mph on the big end. If the torque fell of I could run shorter gears.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 Old 08-05-2008, 07:44 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

</nancy reagan>

Just Say NO !!

</nancy reagan>

post #3 of 76 Old 08-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Aquilifer

this bike can be lightly tweaked. anything else, any true performance mods beyond a dry shot, require total commitment, multi-discipline expertise and genius, and wheelbarrows full of cash.

buy a 929 and nakedifie it, if that's what you want.

nudeatize?

or put a 46 sprocket on back and let 'er rip.

post #4 of 76 Old 08-05-2008, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
DaveCB919F4

I asked a simple question. Has anyone put 929 throttle bodies on a 919? I have my own dyno and can tune. If it was all about going fast I'd get a 'busa.

post #5 of 76 Old 08-05-2008, 03:15 PM
Franklin McGillacutty

http://www.mcnews.com.au/Riders/Stev...002_Hornet.htm This is what your lookin for. Hope you brought your checkbook.

post #6 of 76 Old 08-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbackdlm View Post
I asked a simple question. Has anyone put 929 throttle bodies on a 919? I have my own dyno and can tune. If it was all about going fast I'd get a 'busa.
Some one else asked a simple question about ergos and this was your response...

Quote:
Try going faster it will remove weight from your wrists.
I guess you get as much help as you offer sometimes.

(not saying you never help, but if you don't like people responding in a way different than you find helpful, you probably should not do it yourself.)

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #7 of 76 Old 08-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

post #8 of 76 Old 08-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

The good news is you get to be the first one (to apply it to a otherwise stock motor, that is). I'm sure you can find a cheap set on evilbay. Give it a try & let us know how it runs.

post #9 of 76 Old 08-06-2008, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
DaveCB919F4

Thanks Riquefied919.

I was not being snipy I like this sites banter. And going faster does take weight off your wrists. I find when I sit on my bike watching GP racing on TV that my wrists do get wore out. I'm not sure if its my weight or the drag caused by the chips goin' through the dip. I hope this doesn't upset the sheriff.

What I was really after was fitment issues. However, reinventing the wheel has not stopped me in the past. Thanks again.

post #10 of 76 Old 08-06-2008, 07:29 AM
Tirone

I'm tried to fit a set on mine but found it would be easier ( and a lot cheaper ) to port the current set ( throttle bodies ) and get the plates made to spec then using your PCIII get it customed mapped for your mods on the bike.

post #11 of 76 Old 08-06-2008, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
DaveCB919F4

wedge24 what was the deal? Bore spacing to great? Boots wouldn't fit? Are they really that different laying on the bench? Guess I need to make a trip to the local bike bone yard and get a set.

post #12 of 76 Old 08-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Aquilifer

you know how some machines have a bottle neck, and if you can open that up then everything else sortof flows better? YOU, my friend, have a bike that's "nothing but neck". everything is a bottleneck. relatively low compression, restrictive ports, restrictive throttle bodies, mild cams, restrictive exhaust. so if you replace all those and somehow get the new versions to all work together (good luck!) , you can nearly make cbr900 levels of power.

see? i'm sure you CAN put 929 t/b's on it, as shown by that 6 year old link (cuz NOBODY else has tried it since, that's why you get the 6 year old link) but there are better paths to what you seek.

post #13 of 76 Old 08-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

no you can't
it's a head graft
there are all kinds of fitment issues

if you "own" your own dyno and you think you can handle this kind of job then why ask the question in the first place?

plenty of parts diagrams out there
this info has been covered time and time again

there are MANY other things to try before attempting a TB swap
these "MANY" things include the suggested options as well as a number of options not covered

in any event...Fisher's effort was not 'just a TB swap' as i said...

when i said, just say no, that's what i meant...if 'more power' is your goal, TB swap isn't anywhere near the top of "easy" or even "moderate" mods to attempt

rd out

post #14 of 76 Old 08-06-2008, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
DaveCB919F4

You are correct I should not have asked. Maybe I should start an approved mods list. Things like changing levers, and powder coating (off the shelf, work done by some else, parts). Everything else is to hard or to expensive. In the future I will limit my questions to the, which tires should I run or how many links in the primry chain, mundane style that seems to be approved. I'm sorry I asked for information in the hope that someone understood that work is done in stages. This is still a great site and I enjoy the open forum. Thanks again.

post #15 of 76 Old 08-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
You are correct I should not have asked.
not what i said

the point was, IF you're the kind of person to ask such a question, chances are you are not the kind of person that's gonna handle that task with ease and there are many other options for someone of a lesser skillset...it was an attempt to help, to guide...not a pi$$ing match

Quote:
Maybe I should start an approved mods list.
sounds like whining

Quote:
Things like changing levers, and powder coating (off the shelf, work done by some else, parts).
more whining

Quote:
Everything else is to hard or to expensive.
plenty of folks have thrown big $ at the bike, myself included but it again comes down to; if you have to ask...

Quote:
In the future I will limit my questions to the, which tires should I run or how many links in the primry chain, mundane style that seems to be approved.
more beechin and moaning

Quote:
I'm sorry I asked for information in the hope that someone understood that work is done in stages.
ok, fine, and research is the first stage, asking questions...you just didn't like the answer which was...in the interest of a potentially limited skill set, time and money, you were pointed elsewhere for potential power mods

post #16 of 76 Old 08-06-2008, 02:24 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I'm going to come to the defense a little here for a fellow Texas boy (Fastbackdlm).

It doesn't happen very often on this forum, certainly not as much as others. But it really is pretty aggravating when a person asks viable question "Has anyone here preformed this mod?; 919-929 throttle bodies?" and then gets virtually every response except the one that directly answers his question. In this case that would have been as simple as "No". Then helpful responses to help achieve the answer are usually appreciated also.

But every so often on here but especially other boards you get "why would you do that, you don't need to do that, blah blah blah". Ratdog I even mis-interpreted your response and I know how helpful you've been in the past. I was actually a little surprised. But I think I know where you're coming from now.

You know I think sometimes we kind of begin to get like a huge family and have all had lot's of issues and hard knocks and after we all get used to knocking each other around a bit someone brings in a new brother-in-law and we're just kind of short when they asked questions that we've heard a million times.

Alright well let's just all get along. Fastbackdlm if you can find a way to get this done then I won't to see it first hand, and if I can be involved and help out I'd sure like to. I looked into it long and hard and decided to just except what I have. I even thought of taking a 900RR motor and sticking it in my bike, but, nah.

post #17 of 76 Old 08-06-2008, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
DaveCB919F4

Yea cool I'll quit (its been fun) with one last question. Does anyone have a picture of 919 throttle bodies off the bike? I can down load 929 pictures all day but the 919 remains allusive. Thanks again.

post #18 of 76 Old 08-06-2008, 07:03 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRCajun View Post
In this case that would have been as simple as "No".
see my first response...

the nancy stuff was attempt to keep it light and directly answer the question

attitude was met w/ return-attitude

again, Fisher did not "swap throttle bodies", there was much more to it...not to mention the inherent design issues of the 9r lump, e.g., yeah you could go to all the trouble of figuring out the tb swap only to find you have much much more to do

so, besides trying to spell out why it isn't an easy mod, suggestions were provided for the infoseeker's consideration wrt to power mods on the 9r...bonus info as you well, not a declaration of the 'only way' to do things, just more options

and yeah, it really was an attempt to be helpful which is what i've been about for the last 6+ years in the 9r world on umpteen different forums...sometimes it's a lovefest, sometimes it's tough love, sometimes it's appreciated, sometimes its turd lobbing time. do i do it for the money? for the awesome adulation of the super big internet message board forum thing populated by a bunch of freakin' helmets?

nope, my big reward has been, besides ez's bbq and andrea's good cooking, my reward has been meeting some nice folks, some cheesed!cks, occasional babe and maybe, just maybe, helping out a fellow 9r owner w/ some useful info.

now this thread & this response have consumed enough of the most precious commodity any of us have, time. tiresome though it may have been it does not negate in anyway the potential buying of a beer, hoisting of a glass and a few laughs at any given time in the future should paths cross cause this is the internet and folks you meet in person may just surprise you w/ how 'not a cheesed!ck' they are...it's happened to me more than once w/ the most unlikely of suspects

best of luck w/ whatever is attempted

/end return of the long winded response

post #19 of 76 Old 08-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

lmao @ turd lobbing
and I believe it's "big giant" internet message board but super big works too

post #20 of 76 Old 08-06-2008, 07:12 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzTurbo View Post
lmao @ turd lobbing
and I believe it's "big giant" internet message board but super big works too
d!ck

post #21 of 76 Old 08-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Yea cool I'll quit (its been fun) with one last question. Does anyone have a picture of 919 throttle bodies off the bike? I can down load 929 pictures all day but the 919 remains allusive. Thanks again.
Saw one on ebay. here's the pic

post #22 of 76 Old 08-07-2008, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
DaveCB919F4

Thanks that photo helps. I looked on ebay but did not see it. anyways thanks again.

post #23 of 76 Old 08-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Tirone

Ok so this is what I did I got the TB (919 original part) ported about 2mm over then had the plates machined to fit, then ported the head to match ( had it shaved .002 to raise comp a little. You can feel the difference in power...however I have friends with the tools to do the job ( read free ). Had they not been avail to me I would not have done it. I cant resist doing a little work and I had and spare engine with TB that was given to me so I was still riding while I did the work. The down time was quite long. You can PM if you want more details. Or go with NOS...

post #24 of 76 Old 08-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Aquilifer

well, i guess it's nice that all the "crusty" isn't left up to me.

the first time i posted in a 919 forum, i ran back home with my tail between my legs. LDH, i'm looking in your direction !

but you know, i grew a pair, re-read my posts, and (to some small extent) learned to come humble when i come with questions.

we're big boys. coupla girls. still, there's no law against crusty old koots and sometimes a puppy needs a nip at the heels, delivered by the old dog. sometimes they need teeth around their neck and a good shake. be glad you just got the nip.

if you read between the lines, ratdog (and me) are just saying, "here's our opinions on the subject. "

are we obliged to merely answer with a yes/no?
MUST we carefully consider the FEELINGS of the anonymous typer on the other end? can't we use said anonymity to add a little crust?

can't i be a jerk once in a while ?
("boy , bucky, i'll sure say you can...and have been!")

can't we all ?

post #25 of 76 Old 08-08-2008, 04:02 AM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Boy it sure would be fun though if someone would come up with a doable way to jack up the HP of the 9'r. (I mean without NOS) You know if I could get another 20hp out of I don't think I'd ever look at another bike with passion in my eyes.

post #26 of 76 Old 08-08-2008, 04:41 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

$5000 and a WISECO 970 kit.

cams are optional

A little extra top end is available via a cam swap. (parts $800 for Erion kit, $600 for a hardweld, regrind)

Weight loss, 7lbs = 1hp approx

post #27 of 76 Old 08-08-2008, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
DaveCB919F4

Will do the cams after I perform a throttle body mod of some sort. That'll make the cam change sweet. I'm looking for power in top of third and thru fourth. And droping 25lbs off my fat a$$ should be a big help. The reduction in aerodynamic drag alone should be worth a tenth or two.

post #28 of 76 Old 08-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Aquilifer

if you carry your extra body weight in a hump on your upper back, it may actually be helping your top speed currently. and we may be related.

ouch RD ! you're saying that the big bore/liner kit w/ machine work will run $5k? if you dropped your entire bike off with a mechanic to do it, beginning to end?

honda spent quite a bit of R&D money polarising their buying audience. they made sure that if you didn't buy a sportbike, you didn't get a sportbike motor. or even, one that could be made to act like it.

it's funny/amazing/discouraging how much money they spent on unique engine parts instead of just dropping a 900rr motor and tuning the exhaust and airbox for fatter mid. they REALLY wanted to use f.i. on this lump !

post #29 of 76 Old 08-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Franklin McGillacutty

Im still in the mind set of a swap with a change over to carbs I know I will have to get creative with a manifold set up i still think its in the relm of doable.

post #30 of 76 Old 08-08-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riquefied919 View Post
Im still in the mind set of a swap with a change over to carbs I know I will have to get creative with a manifold set up i still think its in the relm of doable.
yeah I like what your saying.

post #31 of 76 Old 08-08-2008, 01:11 PM
Franklin McGillacutty

+1

post #32 of 76 Old 08-08-2008, 01:17 PM
Aquilifer

i googled around a bit and came up dry: does anyone have an easy link or two to the OLD discussions about the Wiseco (piston) options?

post #33 of 76 Old 08-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

can do you better than that...

i could open up the project919 archives and pull h970's stuff out

also, you could email h970 seeings as how he IS MR WISECO

it's the same old same old, 970 is a resleeve, might as well do all those internals that were cast not forged etc.

post #34 of 76 Old 08-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Headcase

929 FI

There's a 929 injection system for sale on ebay right now for 29.99 plus shipping. Cheap enough for you to pick it up and start your project!

post #35 of 76 Old 08-11-2008, 12:27 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Found this

Dan

post #36 of 76 Old 08-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

boraski lives !!

post #37 of 76 Old 08-12-2008, 12:13 PM
Aquilifer

before i emailed him, i wanted to wade through it again, get refamiliarized with the ins and outs.

"might as well redo the internals...cast not forged"
other than the pistons and wrist pins, i have no plans on going CBR or better grade.

but i am going to be DUMPING supplemental fuel in it from now on, you can rest assured.

post #38 of 76 Old 08-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

which is why you'll be buying more parts than you are thinking right now

the 945 job you can slack, the 970 job you shouldn't imho

talk to our man, if you lost his email i'll resend it...

like i said, i talked to rick at lenght when he was still w/ Erion and w/ h970, in for a penny, in for about 5G's...hence no 970 kit for me yet. when i get pi$$ed enough at my german turbo cage and sell it, then i'll dump the bucks into the bike

post #39 of 76 Old 08-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Franklin McGillacutty

5G'S is he doin the work or is some doin the assembly work????

post #40 of 76 Old 08-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Franklin McGillacutty

In other words how much for the parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode