919 17 tooth front sprocket - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 05-17-2006, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Question 919 17 tooth front sprocket

I noticed some people have posted that they put on a 17 tooth front sprocket. If you have one, how do you like it? What are the pros and cons? If it's going to keep me below the buzz range at highway speeds while I'm making my 99 mile commute and only cost me a little low end torque then I'm willing to change...........

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-17-2006, 11:33 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

I don't have one but if I did your commute that would be the route to go. Loose a little low end grunt. It's a low cost easy mod. to do and if you're not happy you can always switch back.

post #3 of 8 Old 05-17-2006, 12:44 PM
Honda Addict

Speaking from the perspective of someone who has tried it - you both hit the nail on the head. I ran a 17t front sprocket for about 2000 miles and it does drop the RPMs out of the buzzy zone at about 70mph. The bike did seem to get pretty good gas mileage. It made 1st and 2nd gear more useable around town.

The negative is that it drops the torque a good bit. Seemed to rob the 919 of that nice torquey feel. When rolling the throttle on it just didn't "leap" the way it does with the 16t. Put the 16 back on about a month ago and although it's buzzy again at normal highway speed it has that lovely arm yanking pull to it again!!

In a nutshell-

17 tooth sprocket=
Cruising - good
Acceleration - bad

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #4 of 8 Old 05-17-2006, 01:24 PM
MidTN9er

There used to be an old chart you could download from either the 919.org or HondaHornet.com website showing the differences in RPM using different sprocket ratio's. I know many have changed the front and rear #teeth for performance, but upping one on the front will definately lower your torque and get you some better gas mileage for that commute. If most of your travel is highway, it'll cut down on the vibes too.

post #5 of 8 Old 05-17-2006, 02:28 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorbike
The negative is that it drops the torque a good bit. Seemed to rob the 919 of that nice torquey feel. When rolling the throttle on it just didn't "leap" the way it does with the 16t. Put the 16 back on about a month ago and although it's buzzy again at normal highway speed it has that lovely arm yanking pull to it again!!
If you want to really feel the pull, change to a 15t.. then for real fun go to a 45 rear.

Good luck keeping the front down with anything over 70% throttle in 1st gear.. and 2nd too if you are a lightweight.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #6 of 8 Old 05-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I run 17/44 The 17/43 kills to much of the bottom end,add one to the rear for the 17/44 and it is perfect for commuter work and still livelly enough for most everything else.

As far as gas milage goes if you are mainly doing the hwy you will get better MPG if it is an even mix it will get a touch worse if you are not carefull.It take a much bigger twist on the throttle to get the same results as far as bottom end goes stop and go ,Powering out of an corner...

post #7 of 8 Old 05-18-2006, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

post #8 of 8 Old 05-27-2006, 08:58 PM
Removed User 1

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode