900RR rear caliper holder - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 03-08-2009, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

900RR rear caliper holder

How do I modify it to make it work on my 919?

2 > 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

To keep the caliper holder from spinning, a "tongue and groove" method is used on both the 919 and the 900rr.

The 919 has the "tongue" mounted on the swing arm. The 900rr has the "tongue" on the holder. Take a look at the 900rr holder. . .there is a "groove", not deep but still a groove, right below a threaded hole. This shallow groove will now serve as, you got it, the mounting "groove" on the 900rr holder. This groove's depth can be increased by using an 8mm bolt in the threaded hole. But the best way is to have aluminum square rods welded above and below the groove to deepen (for added strength) and lengthen (for chain adjustment allowance). Cut off the old mounting tongue off the 900rr caliper holder for a clean look.

post #3 of 10 Old 03-10-2009, 10:51 PM
Fat guy on a little bike!

Maybe a stoopid question but, why?

Any pics of the change?

Jeff
post #4 of 10 Old 03-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdman View Post
Maybe a stoopid question but, why?

Any pics of the change?

This relates to those of us who have done the 6-spoke wheel conversion, the rear wheel coming from the 900rr. I'm the guilty party starting this wheel conversion following, which is fairly inexpensive. When I got my 900rr rear wheel, it came with the rr's smaller 220mm rotor. . .the 919's rear rotor is 240mm, thus needing the 900rr's caliper mount which brings the caliper toward the wheel's center to match the 220mm rotor. I liked the smaller rotor, very sportbike-like, less unsprung weight, etc. The rear brake is used basically for trail-braking stability anyways, not all-out stopping power. There's no real need for the 919 "bigger" rotor. ---So that's it. . .the reason is simply to run the smaller 900rr rear rotor. This rotor conversion can applied to the 919's stock wheel as well if one wanted to.

post #5 of 10 Old 03-11-2009, 06:35 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

if we did not want to mess with the 900rr holder we could in fact run the bigger 919 rotor right?

post #6 of 10 Old 03-11-2009, 08:44 AM
I'm going riding.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

yes, the larger rotor does fit. it truly is a matter of preference, the larger rotor will provide more 'feedback' and more braking power for the amount of effort on the pedal. if you have a problem with keeping the front tire down, the larger rotor is nice, as you can feather the brake quite a bit easier to hold yourself at balance point. not that i condone such irresponsibility... but i've heard it's fun...
I actually have 1000rr wheels on my bike, and the rotor interchanged w/o a problem. I did have to take my time and get new bearings, seals, and make all new spacers for both axles though!

30,000 mile 919 survivor. No plans of stopping the abuse any time soon.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-11-2009, 09:18 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrat View Post
yes, the larger rotor does fit. it truly is a matter of preference, the larger rotor will provide more 'feedback' and more braking power for the amount of effort on the pedal. if you have a problem with keeping the front tire down, the larger rotor is nice, as you can feather the brake quite a bit easier to hold yourself at balance point. not that i condone such irresponsibility... but i've heard it's fun...
I actually have 1000rr wheels on my bike, and the rotor interchanged w/o a problem. I did have to take my time and get new bearings, seals, and make all new spacers for both axles though!
that is cool, i have wanted to do that as there are more options for the 1000rr. but not for this year will have to wait now untill i finish the other projects

post #8 of 10 Old 03-11-2009, 09:22 AM
I'm going riding.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

lol...i had to do it out of necessity, i had a slight 'run-in' with three curbs one day when we were playin in the parking lot...doh! i also noticed the liteRR rear wheel is a size wider, and a 190 looks good on the back

post #9 of 10 Old 03-11-2009, 09:32 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase

yea i would think it would look good untill i can afford it, it will be a dream in the back of my head.

post #10 of 10 Old 03-11-2009, 11:39 AM
I'm going riding.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

it doesn't look much different, but the wheels are gloss black instead of the satin/ charcoal color, and the cush drive on the new rear wheel is the 6-vane style, supposedly much stronger than the 5-vane. i did have to buy a new sprocket, also. i like it though now i have wheels that are round and can get my tires to hold air again! too bad it wasn't so easy to un-explode my knee that bent all sorts of wrong directions when my foot hit the ground at 40mph...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode